Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    As Zammo once said, "just say no, NO!"

That'll be all those franchise pastries OO!
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

FINgers - alumnus singular, alumnae plural, or so I believe image. Sounds like we overlapped by a year; I was '93-'96. Ah, the Tav... and the Woody... and I'm pretty sure Gassy Jacks doesn't exist any more either. Not that I spent my entire 3 years in the pubs and bars around studentville you understand... had to venture out to play a bit of cricket apart from anything else!

• Options

I worked in the woody! That was a crazy job - ended up spending most of what little I earned after we'd kicked the punters out each night!

No - Gassy Jacks was also "renovated"

Happy days!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Thanks for the gentle prod.  Doping law definitely not my field!  Praying none of it is true, but troubled by the Gouchers' evidence.  Unless they have a grudge against Salazar, why say this stuff?  Let's not forget the masseuse who made the allegations against Lance. She was a lone wolf at the start...

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    My sister went to Cardiff (1986-89) and I got hideously drunk at 16 on Long Island Ice Tea at her graduation party, puked everywhere and was carried home unconscious by my poor sister. No wonder I am teetotal.

Doping. For dopes. Explains why Kara Goucher seemed so pained during her departure from the Oregon project. Our sport is getting a bad name and needs revitalising pronto.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Barrister friend acts for the IAAF and says there's a whole system of underlying issues yet to come out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

The Mad, the Bad and the Ugly.

The Mad - I'm currently carbo loading for my 5th marathon or ultra in a 6 week window. It's the Mourne Way Marathon and my first 'mountain' marathon with a peak of 1400ft and 7000ft elevation gain and loss. The current forecast has a 20 mph head wind most of the way which will make it all the more interesting! image

The Bad - I'm suffering from a bit of a upper thigh/hip flexor strain which is not ideal when I have a lot of climbing ahead. I've been applying ice and stretching and rolling like a mad thing. Let's hope it holds up.

The Ugly - I've been working from home this week because I've had to apply a hot compress to an eye infection every two hours. My eye has swollen up and developed a rather unattractive cyst. At least it's made it easy to also apply ice to my thigh and do plenty of stretching and rolling too.   

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ouch, first time I've done any kind of road mileage since Manchester tonight - 14 total including 9.5 with the running club - I'd guess 10 of the 14 were on road. Hip is NOT happy. That's brought me back down to Earth with a bump. image
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Badbark, at least it's not the other end that needs a hot compress. We all remember the walnut incident. Sounds like you've got off lightly this year!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Take care badbark, that sounds nasty.

I overlapped with your sister MsE, graduated in 87.

Playing catch up here, 13 miles over 3 runs.

• Options

Badbark: You are in the wars. As for this Mourne thingy, are you committed? Because you should have been committed long ago.

er
    training.
    A more relaxed 8+ miler at 8:22 pace, followed by a greatly appreciated cold bath. My lack of mileage is worrying me.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - good set of lunchtime reps and a speedy bike ride.
    Abbers - my daughters are going to see 1D at the Millenium Stadium. Thought maybe they were intereseted in hexadecimal, but apparently it's short for One Directionimage
    Jools - good work.
    FINgers - good to hear from you and know you're on the road again.
    Badbark - mad as ever then! Hope the eye and the leg hold up for the mountain marathon.
    SJ - take care of that hip.
    OO - nice running.
    Blisters - how long to go now?
    Rest day for me,

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Cardiff is going to be heaving. Apparently it's BBC Music Day and as well as McBusted and 1D at the Millenium Stadium, Manic Street Preachers are at the Castle and the Welsh National Orchestra at the Millenium Centre! 

• Options

Depressing stuff ref Salazar et al - hope it's unfounded but fear the worst. Read his book while out in SA.

Hope everything's OK for the weekend Badbark and that you enjoy Cardiff Gul. Never had you down as a 1D fan!! image

What's on the race schedule Blisters? Sounds as though you're getting some good training in.

Was thinking of cycling to work today but the forecast is a bit carp so have opted for a gentle commuting run - suspect the average pace won't be that much quicker than what it was over the weekend. Good to pull the running shoes back on again. 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - enjoy the easy run. Still waiting for the Miss GDs to get ready. I suggested as we are going to Cardiff to listen to some Martyn Joseph on the way there but it didn't go down too well for some reason....

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Good luck this weekend, Madbark! Enjoy the music weekend, Gul.

Take it easy on the easy commute, Lorenzo.

I missed a run yesterday due to my goddaughter's holy communion bringing me up to London for the day. I'll head out for an easy 7 after walking the dog.

Sad news about Jerry Collins this morning image

Have a great weekend all!
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BB - a mountain marathon with a hip problem? Rather you than me... hope your various ailments clear soon!

Who knew this thread had so many ties with Cardiff Uni? May have to consider running the HM there again as an excuse to go back.

SJ - that's the long-standing hip issue I presume, rather than anything new?

OO - you back in the UK for parkrunning at the weekend?

Blisters - I know you're into this tri malarkey now, but what's your target?

Gul - all going on then! Hope you (and your daughters) enjoy it.

Lorenzo - hope you're being kind to your legs!

MsE - so sad to see the news about Jerry Collins (and his wife). Hard to reconcile such a beast of a man being dead at 34. A absolute monster on the pitch, and a real gent off it by all accounts.

For want of a better description, more base miles for me this week. 6.5, 5.5, 6 so far. All easy/steady. Something tonight and a double figure "long" run in the morning before cricket in the afternoon. Might actually get some sun for a change.

• Options

It's all coming out, Gul is off to see One Direction in Cardif

Good luck for the Mourne Marathon Badbark, hope you can actually see all right to get out and run it.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

my daughters are going to see 1D at the Millenium Stadium. Thought maybe they were interested in hexadecimal, but apparently it's short for One Direction

I found that hilarious Gul - thanksimage

I got a recurrence of the flu and have been suffering since Monday - It's not been pleasant with night sweats through to hours of shivering.  Getting better now though

Take care all and happy running

Best wishes for the mara Badbark - take care of that hip

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

I'll have to watch this BBC thing. Can you stream it after the fact? Major bummer as I have really felt pride for his runners and what they have accomplished in this world of performance enhancing drugs. No clue that they might be up to something, which may prove naïve.

Madbark, best of luck this weekend. I'm sure you'll do great but I worry about you in the longer term. Don't forget to protect what you have these days, eh?image

Another strong subLT yesterday and an absolutely effortless 7M this morning (was surprised at this) brings me to 50 for the week. LR tomorrow. Starting to get used to running 6 days per week as opposed to my usual 5.

• Options

VTr, it is on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05zhqvk/panorama-catch-me-if-you-can

If you are not in the UK you are probably not allowed to play so may need a back door such as offered by http://www.hola.org

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Abbers' post is at the top of my page and it's bugging me.  Alumnae is the plural for female graduates.  Male graduates are alumni.  

Midland league 3000m for me tomorrow.  Who knows what pace I'll manage!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Jools!

Aren't male and female combined, "alumni" though? Although really it should be like chromosomes in the womb where we are all female to begin with.image

7.3@7:33/mi
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Badbark - That eye thing sounds painful. Can't believe you are doing another Ultra, well I can actually because you're Mad! Good luck man.

Gul - Enjoy your family outing. Sounds fun.

SJ - Sorry to hear about the hip pain.

OO - Must be difficult to manage the weight with all the travelling to France and Switzerland you do. You park running tomorrow?

VTr - You're flying at the mo. Great to hear.

Bike it - I'm not surprised that lurgy came back. There was a bad dose going around here too and it was difficult to shake and I wasn't even running. Get well soon.

Lorenzo - I am surprised you are back running so soon. Even when I did a standard marathon I took a whole week off to let the body recover. Did you manage to have a braai when you were down south?

Abbers - Nice "base" miles there.

Jools - Good luck for tomorrow. A friend of mine is also doing 3,000 but not sure which one.

MsE - Nice pace for the 7.3. How's the ankle?

Decent week of running here so far for me. 6.8, 7.5, 6.2 and another 6 miles today. 10 in the morning plus a yoga sesh and 8ish on Sunday & I should reach 45 which was the weekly target. My knee seems a bit better but the foot is really annoying me. Did a 10k last night as pacemaker for a friend who has never run a 10k before. Aim was sub 50 and we came home in 49:43. Job done, although she did have to grind out the last 2 miles or so. It was 20c last night, so even though the pace was easy I was very moist afterwards. Glad I brought water and a towel for afterwards otherwise the drive home would have been very sticky!

• Options
    MsE wrote (see)

7.3@7:33/mi

I know I am fit when I do 7.5@7:30/mi (seven and a half at seven and a half) as a midweek "not easy but also not hard". Almost there, it was 7:39 yesterday but was also a bit toward the easy end.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - I was thinking the exact same but didn't say it. I did 7.5 in exactly 7:39 on Wednesday with a few stop starts along the way to navigate through traffic. 1st mile was 8:15 and then a few hills thrown in as well but it was more comfortable than easy as the pace was skewed because of the route, but once the rhythm is there it seems to work well.

• Options
    GM - it really was a very gentle run today. Nice to be pounding the streets again. Hopefully the weather will be good enough that I can get the number out first thing tomorrow morning.

I didn't have a braai although I did indulge in a decent steak on Monday evening. I bought the Braai Bible on the way back so we're going to have an attempt at one tomorrow evening.

Good luck with the 3000m tomorrow Jools.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Lekker! image

• Options

7.5 at 7.5? Agreed, that's shifting.

Thanks for the enquiries. I have a Cat B race next weekend: Cotswold 113. A fast and flat, half ironman with a slightly short bike leg. 1.9km swim/40km bike/ 21km run. That's a local race with great scenery, and quite good fun.
    My Cat A race is not until September. Ironman Wales. For me it's the Big One. Nothing is flat, not even the swim. But the Tenby crowds are legendary.
    - I'd be happy with a sub 4:50 hour marathon.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

The 'Catch me if you can' doc is a very troubling programme. Until I read 'The Secret Race' by Tyler Hamilton, I was always a believer in Lance Armstrong and his drug free cycling prowess. David Walsh used to get on my nerves; always doubting Armstrong and publicly decrying and questioning his success. Since then, Armstrong has confessed to doping, executive style' - and I've read 'A Clean Break' by Christophe Bassons, and 'Seven Deadly Sins' by David Walsh. And now I suspect all top athletes, particularly in endurance sports, of doping. Let's hope that Mo uses his talent and speed to get far, far away from Alberto Salazar.