Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

PMJ, I used to live in Minnesota, and I believe you could fit most of New England into MN. Then I moved to California for a while. It's all perspective.image And you cracked me up with the "just surfed the web a bit" alibi for sneaky miles!image I'm going to use that sometime...

SJ, you are unique with the run-swim thing. I bet you get some interesting looks. I have run a negative split in each of my 3 marathons that I finished (the fourth DNF was on for it too before the collapse at 26.1 miles...yes, that one hurt!). Not sure if I have a good internal sense or just a very cautious approach to the race...maybe the latter.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - enjoy the running!
    Badbark - good dry run.
    VTr - good sneaking.
    PMJ - good lunchtime running.
    Rest and last day at work for a bit.... image

• Options

Enjoy the break Gul.

Got to try and sort out my race calendar. Our club does the Swallowfield 10k on Sep 13th as part of the championship but the wife seems to think that our 25th wedding anniversary takes precedence. I have got enough races in already but I have 2 lemons in my 7 and want to get better runs to replace those and with 5 races to go (one of which I definitely won't race) it starts to get harder to get 2 good runs out of 3 rather than 2 out of 4.

• Options
    25th? That's not even a round number PMJ!

Congrats to Speedy on an MT podium double win - gave a little cheer for you when you won the draw.. image
  • Options

Really? That's awesome! I've not had an email or anything.

• Options
    Hi I am thinking of running a Autumn marathon. However not being able to find one on a Sunday which I work, I am thinking of running my own. I want to run sub 3. Pb 3.12. I plan to run on the Leeds liverpool canal 13.2 miles from bingley to leeds turn and run back. I will run it for charity bowel cancer trust as my work is supporting them. I plan on getting people to give 1 pound for 3.10 but that rises to 10 pound for sub 3. Most freinds will gamble on me not doing it so that will spur me on. Date tbc but late oct saturday 9-12 if you want to run with me then a donation to the charity and I will sort water at 3 stations. Yours thoughts and support most gratefully received. Cheers James
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Also my 25th this year PMJ. We have a nice weekend planned in Cardiff. My wife was not pleased when I told her I would try to find a parkrun for Saturday morning. Can't see the issue myself.

Good luck James, it seems a highly unlikely way to get such a big PB- I could never do that on a solo run knowing the time would not count anyway.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good luck with the mission, James. Let us know how it goes.

Second run of the week today. I think the 100 miles on the bike on Sunday are still in my legs as my track intervals were sluggish.
    Session comprised 1 mile run to track, then intervals of (in 00s) 1,1,2,2,4,2,2,1,1 with 200m walking recoveries. Then 1 mile back to the office for a 4.75 mile trip.

The 400 was 1.19, way off my best but further from my worst, so not too bad all things considered. Almost looking forward to the slow journey back to race form. No rush though! image

GD

• Options
    Wives can be a bit insensitive OO.

Have they been in touch yet Speedy?

Good luck James

Excellent session GD.

Another hot one for me: 1k easy, 6K at 15kph, 1k easy, 1mile at 15.6kph, easy round up to 11K to finish.
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

My calf is recovered.  As VTR identified just knotted muscle - pounded it into submission with The Stick and foam roller. It passed the 10km test run this lunchtime without issue. So I just missed my Tuesday session which is alright.

Enjoy your holiday Gul - I once did the Eden Project Marathon, which is described as 'quite flat' - 800m of elevation later I had learn that the Cornish describe anything you don't have to use first gear to drive up as 'quite flat'.  Still there are some fantastic places to run down there - North and South Coast paths are amazing.

Surely the whole point of going somewhere else is to go for a run in a different environment.....

• Options
    James Howgego 2 wrote (see)
    Hi I am thinking of running a Autumn marathon. However not being able to find one on a Sunday which I work, I am thinking of running my own. I want to run sub 3.

Good luck, but as others have said, a solo run will be hard. I assume you mean you can only find Sunday marathons, but if you search there are Saturday ones. In October I see on Sat October 25th

Beachy Head: probably not the best for a sub-3 effort but a great route
    http://www.visiteastbourne.com/events/BeachyHeadMarathon.aspx

Snowdonia: quite possible lto go sub-3 there but entries closed so need to search for a swap on the forums
    http://www.snowdoniamarathon.co.uk/

Suffolk Coastal Marathon
    http://www.endurancelife.com/event-new.asp?series=87&location=295

OO, I too have had a peek at parkruns. We are staying in Bath and it is just a couple of miles form the hotel. Big issue will be how late they serve breakfast.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Enjoy Bath if you do it, PMJ: if you're staying in the centre and planning on running to the start, Claverton Down is on top of one of those gurt big hills.

Work still pretty hectic, so I am lurking on and off and wish you all well.  Glad to see some niggles resolving, although best wishes as always to those on the Bench.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

PMJ you can always ask your wife to collect you take away breakfast- I am sure she will appreciate that.

I will do the parkrun tomorrow but taking it easy for the 10km on Sunday. It's not been a great week but let's see.

Work for me is at a snails pace Jools, everybody is on holiday- long may it continue

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Work over the past couple of days mostly comprises watching the ESPNCricinfo.com page. HOWZAT!! #Ashes #ComeOnEngland

GD

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

GD - I have tickets for Sunday at Trent Bridge . . . . . . . . .

decent week here so far 
    5 mile tired plod Mon
    9 miles with 1 x 1.5 mile, 1 x 0.5 mile, 5 x 350metre, 1 x 1.75 mile padded with easy
                 running on Tue
    6 miles stiff legged jaunt on Wed
    10.5 similar to Tues  y'day
    rest today
    can't make 20 with mates tomorrow, running with daughter instead - may incorporate one of our hillier parkruns  . ..and of course, Sunday is now free  . . . ..

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Yes, wives can be endorphin killers at times...

BI, glad to hear your calf is sorted!

Yesterday did the second subLT run of the week and gas tank was empty. This one was a struggle start to finish…tried to hit 165 HR but could only manage 159-161 range. Was much cooler this time vs last so HR might have been harder to get up. But haven't felt this tired on one of these in a quite a while. But positive is I got through it and this was an excellent end of marathon simulation. So 13.5 done w/10 fast (pace was about 6:53 m/m ave).

Today got a brisk 6.5 in (meant for this to be easier but only way to get the miles in.

Tomorrow will be my LR (hoping for 20) then cutback week. 

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Sorry I haven't read back yet but just wanted a quick visit to report on a great confidence boosting run this morning. I ran 17.5 miles in total including a Parkrun after 12 miles. I felt great at the start of the Parkrun and decided to really go for it with 2 weeks to go until the Donegal Marathon.

I didn't look at my watch at all and was pleased to be told at the one mile point that 5:48 had passed. I kept the hammer down and it was 11:52 at the two mile point. I was well in the lead and having to weave in and out of lapped people but kept pushing to the end. I finished in 18:09 for a course PB and 5:50 pace average. It's not a fast course due to many sharp turns, so I'm chuffed to be only 4 seconds outside my fastest ever Parkrun which was on a fast course.

So it looks like my alcohol and junk food abstinence for the last 5 weeks is really paying off. DAMN!   image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looks like u will have to cash in those tickets Birch- easy victory in the end.

I had a nice parkrun. Should have held back and saved my legs for tomorrow but instead blasted an 18.06 for 6th place. Just resting the legs for tomorrow's 10k showdown in Darlington now.
  • Options

Yes Slokey, I got an email yesterday from someone at Jabra in Denmark, replied and got an out of office saying he's on holiday until 17th August. Ah well!

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Hi all, lurking here as the wifi keeps on collapsing. Read back enough to say cracking racing by some, esp. CC; good luck Leslie; impressive miles being logged for a relatively hot time of year. 

I am currently making another attempt to be the slowest athlete in East Africa.  It's 38-40 degrees during the day but the plan to run at dusk hasn't worked, due to (a)

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20150808_073032.jpg

...dangerous holes in unlit streets; (b) security is tight + public buildings are guarded by trucks with seriously big machine guns trained on the streets. No thanks. Managed a few miles along the Nile this morning...

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20150808_074016.jpg

..which is a heck of a big river.  Otherwise it's back to the gym from hell which is extremely hot and humid. Wish me luck - should have gone to Borneo!! image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Badbark: BOOM!  Well done - looking very good for your marathon.  I remain in awe of your ability to tolerate the volume of training you do and your powers of recovery.

Birch: well, enjoy your Sunday.  I don't think anyone thought 3 day Tests would become so common...

Is Gul still asleep?!

Poacher: it was about 24/25 degrees here today which was a shock to the system.  But at least finding somewhere to run is much easier.  Good luck and take care.

21M for me this morning.  The perfect prep for tomorrow's Midland League match, especially as I am now doing the 3000m at 2.30, the 1500m at 3.15 and quite possibly a comedy turn in the 4 x 400m.  Sadly, there is a clash with UKWAL (which I suspect means Speedy will be in Wigan instead of Worcester with me) so we're all having to do quite a few events.  I'm just relieved I've escaped any field event duties.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow Joolska - I gather you are in supreme form at the moment so should be no problem

James H, PMJ's assessment of Beachy Head as a sub 3 opportunity is understated. It's at least 30 mins slower htan flat, fast road marathons.  In case no-one else pointed it out, 13.2 miles is more than half a marathon, so you can save yourself a minute or two by getting the distance right!

Nice run Badbark, lovely when everything comes together.

I have been a bit lazy runningwise (but not otherwise) for the past few months but am starting to train for Abingdon marathon.  Just totted up and saw I have notched up 50 miles so far this week + a 50 mile bike ride today. No quality yet. I'm unfit, feel like lead jelly, and March's fitness seems far, far away.

I'm looking forward to a read back - hope you have all been keeping well

• Options
    That's rubbish news on the abstinence BB. Don't ever speak of it again.

Extra points to Poacher for exceptional circumstances.

That's an eventful day ahead Jools!

Excellent parkrunning everybody

Welcome back Marrows image
  • Options

Good parkruns by a lot of people. My 19:10 feels slow in comparison. It was a club champs event so I finished 16th overall but 11th on the club so with 8 on the top 10 our vest was on show pretty prominently. I feel I could have gone a bit faster but chanced an early push on the hope a picking up a place or two against paper form and it didn't pay off but neither did I drop a place. A dozen tomorrow to make 40 for the week and I'm ticking along in base building nicely.

• Options
    Fun day today with a visit to Tate Liverpool and then Crosby beach to see the Gormley statues (and have a picnic). 2hrs biking on the country lanes this evening on a lovely summer evening.
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

BB, simply incredible.

OO, very fast time. That's a bit up on your normal time range isn't it? Well done.

Poacher, tough conditions! Hang in there.

Jools, sounding a bit MadBarkish doing serious track work after a 21 miler. Tough as nails. Good luck.

Hi Marrows. Welcome back to it. The fitness will come roaring back soon. Keep the faith.

Nice effort PMJ. I'd be happy with that time any day.

SJ, that ride sounded nice.

Logged 22.6 today and had good energy the whole way (surprising felt like I could have kept on chugging). Didn't push hard as was just aiming for time on feet. Brought my total to 80.4 for the past 6 days (my first ever wk in the 80s!). Nothing is hurt right now and feeling grateful heading into my cut back. The past three weeks have been 69, 72, and 80 (w/20 miles of subLT work per week and LRs of 18, 21, and 22). I'm sleeping in tomorrowimage.

BTW, last year my . largest weeks were usually 58-63 miles. I've edged them up based on Badbark's comments (and a few others) that increasing volume helped shift gears into the sub3 realm. Will be interesting to see what difference more miles may make this time around. So far my cadence is way up and overall fitness improved. So maybe economy is being improved...

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    My son got banned from cricket at school due his larking about. He is 6.

Do you want to run through a puddle or a pothole? A puddle because at least it has a bottom to it. The municipality here started numbering some of the potholes - I assume because they are now big enough for people to live in. Welcome to Africa. At least we have streetlights - just not always the power to run them

Classic P&D session here - 13m with 8m at MP - came out at sub 4:45 per km which is about 7:38 per mile. Progress not perfection
  • Options

Nice session there BI. Any run with a substantial chunk at MP is always a good session: always hard to get your mind round the fact that you can do 26.2 at MP but 5 or 8 feels very hard.

Anyone see  Andrew Lemoncello's run on strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/364252086

20 easy, 4 hard, 2 easy for 26 total. The 20 easy were pretty much 6:00 pace and the 4 hard nibbling at the door of 5:00. Total 2:35 for 26 miles: what about the 0.2?

• Options

12 this morning. Last Sunday 12 in 1:33:15 running up river and back, this week 12 in 1:32:05 running down river and back. A few more bridges on the upstream path probably account for the difference.

• Options
    Enjoy a well deserved cut back VTr.

Doesn't sound dull out there BI. May the progress continue...

11 easy over lumpy fields with the pooch then 3 at MP on the tready to finish off.