Abbers- 6 min milling is good going for reps,book that mara now.image

Kr- nice fast finish 12

Poacher - you nearly got on the tv there image

Bikeit - nice dreadmill running.

Jools-good paced reps.

1.5 mile jog today for me.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed Abbers but I'm sure the Lakes will pull through but will take time.

Leslie- 1.5 miles- was it worth getting changed for image 

6 miles lunchtime rune here, and the makings of a decent week

• Options

Leslie, did I read that correctly? You ran 1.5 miles!!!!! Yessssssssimageimageimageimageimage

I'm in a cut back week. Started it w/2 days off due to work craziness. 10 easy today and will see if I can get out the next 4 days too. It's cold, windy snowy, and generally nasty here again. Perfect.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just a quick check in here to say hi all. SJ, KR, Poacher - It would be great if we could all make it to the start line at Manchester in one piece and closer to the time it would be cool if we could arrange to hook up at some stage.image

Ticking over here nicely and will read back tomorrow when I have more time.

• Options

0053-after 7 months on the bench yes it was worth getting changed image

VTR-yes every little helps ,sounds perfect weather for outdoors image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

10 cold miles for me last night at 7.30 pace. Really sore glute at the moment but it seems to settle down after a couple of miles.

First ever club session tonight, really looking forward to it. Looks like it will be a pyramid of 200 metre increments topping out at 1200 and back down again. Will need gloves by the look of the forecast.

GD

• Options

Looking for your feedback,

Quick phone call - £50 Amazon voucher up for grabs!

Looking to revolutionise the coach-athlete distance training paradigm 

Email Capturedhq@gmail.com 

• Options

Jools - looks pretty zippy to me and good progression. Nice MLR too.
    Abbers - good reps - don't need to do them flat out to gain the benefit.
    KR - nice turn of speed there in your MLR. I didn't need to take any ibuprofen.
    Poacher - cranking the speed up like that was obviously too much for the circuit to take!
    Leslie - fantastic!
    VTr - enjoy the cut-back week.
    GD - could be a baptism of ice rather than fire then!
    Possibly rather foolishly I decided to do some intervals this morning. 3M warm-up to the park and discovered that my usual circuit had been partially flooded, so switched to plan B. Did 4 x 0.75M off 0.25M recoveries - definitely on the slow side, but all done and dusted without any niggles image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Poacher - like the fact that the gym fail was the gym failing. Seems appropriate somehow.

Jools - nice 14 miler there. 40-odd club runners must take a fair degree of organising; multiple coaches on hand?

Leslie - 1.5 miles? Good man! Everything feel OK?

OO - In terms of how quickly infrastructure gets fixed, I presume a lot will be down to how much money is made available and what the priorities are.

VTR - don't mind the cold so much, but the wind is always the most difficult of the elements to deal with.

GD - enjoy the club session!

Gul - as long as you didn't feel any niggles, that's a success image

So, turbo last night, 40 mins including 30 mins of 1 min hard/1 min easy, which was enough to get a decent sweat on, even in a chilly garage. Then 6.5 at lunch today including a 4 mile tempo. Was aiming for around 7m/m and came out at 6:56, 7:04, 6:56, 6:47, so just about according to plan. Horrible gusty cold wind though.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

First club session done. Loved it!
    Session was a pyramid (2,4,6,8,10,12,10,8,6,4,2,2,2) with 45 sec recoveries. Quite tough but enjoyed it.

Have only run on a cinder track before and found the rubber tonight a lot quicker. What I thought was an easy warm up mile on my own was 6.58 pace. Mate called me an idiot. image

Equalled my 200 PB with the final rep. They sent me out with the quick group which was a surprise but considering I haven't done intervals for months, I did OK and kept up with them all night.

Will certainly be back next week.

GD

• Options

Sounds like a decent session there G-Dawg. Did you actually enjoy doing it, or was it the sense of satisfaction of having done it. I'm struggling to think of a time when I've really enjoyed a speed session itself.

Fab news Leslie - every journey starts with the first step.

Hope the snow isn't stopping you get out there VTr. How deep is it?

Been a bit manic recently so haven't had time to post, but taking the opportunity now before trying to get the regulation 6 hours sleep (which I haven't managed very well so far this week).

I have managed to get out each morning so far: 8 miles with strides on Monday, 9 steady on Tuesday, 6.5 miles easy on the commute yesterday and just over 11 starting at 5.15am this morning. Another commute tomorrow planned.

• Options

Gul- nice niggle free reps.

Abbers - nice wind assisted progressive tempo.Short jogs seem  ok now but standing still for any length of time makes my knee ache !

G-dawg sub 7 milling easy running sounds like progress 

Lorenzo- that's a bit of an early start !

ramped again..2 miles yesterday,at this rate I will be mara ready in a month image

• Options

Abbers - good tempo run.
    GD - greart pyramid session!
    Lorenzo - good week so far by the look of it.
    Leslie - ultra-marathon in March maybe?
    8 easy miles d&d.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Lorenzo: The novelty of doing the session together with like-minded nutters was a good feeling as well as developing strategies to catch the faster ones to help me progress through. was very pleased when it was all over and had that warm satisfactory glow of small achievement.

Legs a little tired tis morning after 3 consecutive days of effort. 16 miles first thing in the cold tomorrow.

GD

• Options

Good bit of mileage Leslie, little distances more often & building it up nicely.

Nice to get a 14 miler in in the daylight Jools - working up an appetite

Nice track session G-Dawg, the short recoveries are tough. Suck it in, as our coach says.

Glad your reps were niggle free Gul, forget the pace, you got out there and did them. Maybe the Plan B worked!

Sounds like you are getting the runs in no probs Lorenzo.

10 miles last night with 6 x 400m hill reps in the middle.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice runs Gul, KR, GD etc etc. There can't be many cinder tracks left - a very different surface to run on but a proper part of athletics history. Modern surfaces are so much faster.

Leslie I can recommend the "zilch to marathon in a week" comeback plan.

I took Bike It's thoughts and actually ran outside earlier - it's a holy day so few people were around, + you can spot the potholes and open sewers/drains in daylight. 6m D&D before the city woke up. A few people in buses shouted and a smiling guy waved a gun (pointing in the air) in an encouraging way, and overall it was very good to get out there.

• Options

Easy 7.5 at lunch to take me up to 36.4. Means anything decent on Sunday will take me over 50 miles and that will be the first time that has happened since late March last year.

No gym fails for me but a van fail. Guy with a panel sided van stacked high with boxes of wine accelerated away and the load stayed where it was, so dozens of boxes of wine spilled out onto the road behind him. A few anti-social motorists honked and attracted his attention when the social thing to do would be to tidy up the wine he left behind and share it out amongst the helpers.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Status Quo like wine:

Rioja All Over The World!

• Options
    How about Whitney Houston's Sauvignon All My Love For You?
  • Options

Maybe they didn't bother because it was only New Order's Blue Nun-day.

• Options

I'm told it was more of a vin fail than van fail.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Whitney was quite the boozer. She also crooned "One Merlot in Time"
  • Options

And didn't Elton John belt out "Shiraz seems to be the Hardest Word"?

I'll get my coat!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That was after The Beatles sang "Malbec In The USSR" but before Culture Club released "Cava Chameleon"
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Howdy folks!

Bike it – You are spot on there with your risk assessment in terms of staying safe on the roads over there. Must be nice to see all those athletes down the track. 90 mins on the dreadmill is something I cannot comprehend but well done.

Gul – Sounds like the rest did you good. Hope that niggle doesn’t come back and well done on the reps! Like your New Order reference btw! I'm a big fan of Joy Division.

Jools – Good k reps there and nice 14 miler.

Abbers – 6 x 800 is a good session and at a very good average pace too. Nice that you managed to fit in and an 11 too plus a mile in the pool! Good XT’ing! Good 4 mile tempo run as well. Ticking over nicely by all accounts. You'll be doing triathlons soon?!

KR – Still going well I see. That last mile was a bit tasty. Well done.

Poacher – Glad you managed to get out and made it back inside in one piece!

Leslie – Hurrah! So nice to hear.

OO – Hope it turns out to be the decent week you were hoping for.

VTr – Hope the weather doesn’t stop you from running as much as you want to. What’s the temp there now?

G-Dawg – You’re going well, when are you racing next?

Lorenzo – Good mileage and matching Gul with that early start. Any barber shops open where you live at the time of day?image

PMJ – I like your way of thinking re the sharing of the wine!

I’ve finally managed to sit down and work out a feasible marathon training plan for Manchester and it’s going to be a real experiment but I’m hopeful it will be rewarding. I basically have 12 weeks of training and half of those weeks I will be limited to about 25 miles max. The other half I will run on average 50 miles maxing at about 60. It’s not a conventional marathon plan but I’m positive given my history of physical breakdowns in the 2 previous campaigns that it may work better for me. I should realistically be able to do 4 or so 20+ milers which I’ve never done. Looking back over the last few years I note that I’ve only ever managed 2 max and one for my last one. All that combined with yoga and some more sleep I hope to be fit and ready come April 10th. I have no real time goal as yet but certainly hope to get a decent pb. Will see if I can get through the next 8 weeks or so unscathed and will make a decision then. This week has been a good one with not much mileage but some decent sessions. I have been running this particularly challenging lunch time route pretty much every other day since Jan 4th and it hurts, especially in January. I looked back on my old training logs and saw that my best time for this route ever was 22:35 and recently I have struggled to get anywhere near low 23 mins. Today was a good day and ran it in 22:32 and it felt moderately hard, not flat out, so I'm very pleased with that and it’s a good confidence booster. In other news I’ve decided to treat myself as I approach 21x2 in years to a week in Tenerife end Jan for a bit of warm winter training. Looking forward to getting in some decent runs and just having some proper downtime. image

I went to a friend's leaving do tonight and he's the guy who I mentioned ran for 24hrs recently. Was a fab night, he hired a room in the local sports centre and we watched a movie titled Run Free. For those not familiar it's a story about one of the character's in the now famed book Born to Run. My friend is off to Dubai, and it was a nice eclectic gathering of folk. It struck me there and then how running is such a diverse activity and has a very positive impact on most peoples lives. Have a nice w/end all.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good effort that GM

As for music:
    Don't Liebfraumilch me this way
    Is this the way to Tempranillo?
    Anything by Sherry and the Pacemakers - Merlot Haggard - Cabernet Franc Zappa - or Champagne 69

Damn this dry January.image

Off to dodge them potholes again. And some quite big rats.

• Options

GM - good plan. In my student days I once went to the Hacienda to see Nico. Must go back to Manchester one of these days (good Pink Floyd song!)
    Poacher - the artful dodger! Look forward to the report.
    16 miles at a nice easy average pace of 8:23 m/m this morning. One or two hail and sleet flurries on the way. Finally admitted it was winter and donned hat and gloves.

• Options

I'm in Manchester tomorrow, taking elder Lorenzito back to uni. Never made it to the Hacienda myself; I was in Bristol and it didn't have quite the same club scene as Manc. That said, the excellent Blue Aeroplanes were always worth going to watch. Never really got into Joy Division (a bit too depressing); I was more of a Cocteau Twins fan.

Sounds like you've got a good plan there GM - what time are you going to be shooting for at Manchester?

Another staggeringly early start for you there Gul - I don't know how you manage it as you must have been out of the house before 4.30!! Don't you need to sleep?

Cold down here as well, although no hail or snow. Definitely gloves (I've been wearing them for the last couple of months!) but no hat.

After nearly letting the CNBA fairy get the better of me, I managed a loop of my "up and around Box Hill" circuit with a few extra miles tagged on to the end to take it up to 18.5 miles and 58 for the week. Core work planned for tomorrow.

• Options

Lorenzo - great run to end the week and impressed that you're still plugging away with the core work. And yes, it was before 4:30 (just). I will sleep well tonight as I had a late night yesterday after going out for a curry!