Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Poacher - couldn't agree with you more on the subject of cricket, but then I would say that, wouldn't I? image I know it's not everyone's cup of tea though (witness Slokey's comments) and often try to convince my in-laws & daughters of the beauty and intricacies of the game, usually to blank, uncomprehending looks. But hey, it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things. On the running front, keep doing midweek 11s and you'll soon notice improvements.

PMJ - feet up for a few weeks then? image

GM - epic posting! Sounds like you have plenty of running mojo for 2016.

Gul - stay on your feet man! The girls often tell me I would have run faster at VLM if I hadn't fallen over after 3 miles. Like I need to be told... Not sure excited is the right term regarding Romsey. It's a flat, fast course and as such attracts a range of high quality local club runners. PB there is just under 32 mins, but very subject to conditions being at the end of Jan, and most people turn up to have a blast not realty knowing what kind of shape they're in, so we'll see what happens.

So, 40 mins turbo session done last night, a bit of a pyramid going up & down through the resistances for 5 mins at each level. Out in the trainers for a tempo at lunch.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    OO53- Belated happy birthday, only another year before I join the half century brigade.

My parkrun PB is 18.01 (which is frustrating) so not too far off last week.

I really had a poor start to 2015 with a hip flexor niggle that kept me out of, Wokingham HM, Reading HM and London. This persuaded me to change my training habits, as the constant pavement pounding from running was always giving me grief.

I've had a trouble free year on the injury front since adding the bike and swim to my training regime. And I do feel swimming 2/3 times a week seems like a physio sesh on my legs as they always feel nice and loose after.

It doesn't seem to have effected my speed over shorter distances but I will find out what shape I'm in when I run Wokingham in Feb.

8 miles this morning with 4 at threshold, was a little tough.

I'm following the up to 55 miles p&d schedule for London, which allows me to bike/swim too.

I don't know if I'll have enough miles in the legs for a pb attempt, only time will tell.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Agreed Abbers - nothing more fascinating than the 5 day format.

Good optimism from GM - it could be a strong sporting year for you.

It's tiring just to read about Moof's training... 

5m this morning in the cold/rain/wind. But to compensate, I scraped onto the Marathon Talk podium - is that Badbark topping the podium this week though?

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

That’s a great post GM summarizing the last few weeks excellently. Belated Happy Birthday OO!

Thanks for all the kind words about my recent (minor) marathon victory. I get a mention on the Jabbra Podium on Marathon Talk this week at about 54 minutes.

Unfortunately I have a bit of bad news. My Doctor tells me the mole I have had recently removed was a malignant melanoma.  This is the dangerous type of skin cancer that can spread into other regions.

It appears the 15 or so sunny holidays in the last 10 years has caught up with me.  I’m waiting to see a dermatologist for more tests, which might involve taking away more skin around the area and a lymph node biopsy.

I’m determined to stay positive and I’m confident I’ll get the all clear soon. Whatever the outcome, I’m up for the fight and refuse to be beaten.  

"Like the marathon, life can sometimes be difficult, challenging and present obstacles, however if you believe in your dreams and never ever give up, things will turn out for the best." – Meb Keflezighi

• Options

Gerard- great posting image

Gul-what happened this time ,was it just bad luck ?

Badbark- all the best with your tests ,hope you get the all clear soon.image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BB - that's a hell of a shock. Wishing you all the best with the further investigations, hopefully they won't turn up anything else apart from the all clear and you've caught it early enough.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Best wishes Badbark.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Badbark: that puts a lot of other stuff into perspective.  Everything crossed for you.  Loved the Meb quote: very inspiring.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

positive vibes heading your way, Badbark  . . .

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Badbark wrote (see)

That’s a great post GM summarizing the last few weeks excellently. Belated Happy Birthday OO!

Thanks for all the kind words about my recent (minor) marathon victory. I get a mention on the Jabbra Podium on Marathon Talk this week at about 54 minutes.

Unfortunately I have a bit of bad news. My Doctor tells me the mole I have had recently removed was a malignant melanoma.  This is the dangerous type of skin cancer that can spread into other regions.

It appears the 15 or so sunny holidays in the last 10 years has caught up with me.  I’m waiting to see a dermatologist for more tests, which might involve taking away more skin around the area and a lymph node biopsy.

I’m determined to stay positive and I’m confident I’ll get the all clear soon. Whatever the outcome, I’m up for the fight and refuse to be beaten.  

"Like the marathon, life can sometimes be difficult, challenging and present obstacles, however if you believe in your dreams and never ever give up, things will turn out for the best." – Meb Keflezighi

Sorry to hear this news, BB.  Sending you much hope that the tests run clear and you are soon back on the road.  Will be keeping an eye on your progress so keep in touch if you can.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

BB - I heard your Jabra mention on MT. I've had a few dodgy skin things removed over the years and waiting for the results is always nerve wracking. You've chosen a great quote & I'm sending you all blessings and positive vibes. I'm sure that you're dermatologist will get you sorted.

• Options
    BB - all the best mate - you've got the grit to get through anything life can throw at you. Fingers are crossed that it turns out to be nothing.
  • Options

BB, hopefully they took nice wide margins and all the abnormal cells are long gone. Stay positive and good luck in your upcoming appointments. I've got everything crossed for you! You'll be fine!! You're too damn fast (for epic distances) to let anything bad catch up to youimage

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Badbark -  That's it, stay positive and you'll be grand. Please keep us up to speed, that is if we can keep up with ya! image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thats bad news Badbark but you take it in the right spirit. My wife had skin cancer on her face from very fair skin, and since having the area removed 5 years ago she has had no trouble since. It does show the importance of sun cream. We are all out running in the elements everyday, so best to get protection.

Fistt couple of runs for me after 3 days solid rest. The calf held up but not yet 100%. I ran at a snails pace but at least it's a start.

Interesting stuff on the bike/swim regime moof, foe those of us with hip issues. I know it makes sense but so hard to find the time.  

• Options

Fingers crossed for you BB - glad you're feeling positive at the moment. Congrats on topping the MT podium this week, with a certain comeback king also getting a  mention!!!

Fairly mediocre couple of days for me - an early start yesterday to head over to Cardiff meant I didn't time for a run so did a bit of stretching / core work + 10mins on the rowing machine in the hotel gym and, as I was staying in the city centre I couldn't find a remotely inspirational route to do this morning so ended up with 30 mins on the dreadmill with a progressively faster run. Bah.

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow morning, even if it is only for a commuting run. 

• Options

OO, as you say, a start (and a good one if you are running again).

I've put in ~38 miles the past 3 days, including today's 17.5M run. This is my first over 13 since the marathon. A good test coming off a subLT 2 days ago and decent miles yesterday. Help up well. Core a little sore after (and not more so than after a 12-13 miler) but the tightness goes away within a few minutes. I've been nervous about not being able to do proper long runs w/out reinjuring that area but this was a good result. Tomorrow off as work has me caged in at a retreat.

Is it too early to be longing for spring weather?

• Options

Sending you positive vibes BB. Keeping everything crossed for you.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Take Care Badbark.  I hope all works out positively for you.

Run commute this morning - I came face to face with Jenny Meadows as she was running to the track.  I greeted her - she didn't greet me, but her husband coach cycling behind did in a kind way knowing that I recognised her.

• Options

Abbers - sounds like a good race.
    moof - nice 8/4@LT.
    Poacher - well done on making the MT podium.
    Badbark - I'm praying you'll get the all-clear. Congrats on topping the MT podium!
    Leslie - I tripped over what looked like some kind of cover - might possibly have been a hole underneath so lucky escape really!
    Lorenzo - from my brief visit to Cardiff I seem to recall a riverside path that would make a nice run - too late now!
    VTr - good LR.
    Bike It - rubbing shoulders with the elite now!
    14 mile MLR this morning. 4 slow, 5 easy and 5 steady.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

LorenzoGul is right.  The Taff Trail runs through Bute Park (next to the castle).  Not sure how well lit it is at night.  If I can drag myself out of bed early doors I'll be there tomorrow as their parkrun is flat and fast - due a treat after the sludge and trudge of Reading and the hill hell of Ashton Court!

• Options

BB – sorry to hear that news.  Here’s hoping it proves to be manageable. Best wishes and stay positive. 

5m plod last night followed by intervals at the track this morning.  There was a light frost making it quite slippery underfoot but managed to stay upright for 6x1000m with 200m jog recoveries of 70s or so.  All were 3:57 or 3:58 except the last one where I pushed on in the last 200 for a 3:54.  Will aim for 3:55s next time and see how I get on.  Rest planned for tomorrow ahead of my first 20 miler of the year on Sunday, hopefully.

• Options

Looks like it's going to get more chilly soon.

A good 14 miler for a Friday morning Gul

Nice 1k rep session GE, good luck for your 20 miler on Sunday.

11 miles last night with 6 x 400m hill reps in the middle. A real lung bursting session.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I used to run in Bute park at Uni, did some nice long runs up the river to Llandaff- happy days image

Nice evening out there hope it holds up for parkrun. Not sure I have much chance of holding off junior this week But will  have a go.

Then we're off to Keswick to see what the floods have done to our beloved town. I hear the parkrun course has been washed away along the river

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

May not have woken up quite as early as needed to go to Cardiff. Oops. Mile reps by myself it is!

• Options

Nice reps there GE - hope the 20 miler tomorrow goes well. 

Good bit of oversleeping Jools

I did look at the possibility of running along the Taff but couldn't see to find a decent route - will know for next time.

Followed up yesterday's commuting runs (6.5 miles in total) with a muddy and slippery trail run this morning. Just about managed to stay on my feet although nearly went AOT a few times. Good fun and another 14.7 miles D&D.

• Options
    Nice long-ish sessions from Lorenzo, Gul and KR.

Thought for the day: why don't race organisers occasionally dish out commemorative shorts or socks rather than t-shirts? Just having a new year's clear out and have had to bin a few pairs of shorts which are falling apart and are frankly disgraceful, which leaves me a bit light with only about 5 usable pairs.

T-shirts, on the other hand, are in plentiful supply. I must have over 30 of them. I'm trying to have a bit of a cull but find sentimental attachment etc. gets in the way:

FLM 2007? First marathon so have to keep it despite all the "impossible is nothing" nonsense written all over it.

Abingdon 2008, Finchley 20? Got to keep these - they show I'm a "proper runner"

Endurance life series? Shows I do trail stuff as well.

Red cotton Barnsley 10k T-shirt from 2008? Got to keep that for the sheer randomness of it, and besides, it is still my PB.

I did manage to chuck a few cotton VLM T shirts and some garish royal parks numbers, but I am still left with an unnecessarily large pile.

Anybody else have this problem?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yup. I have 3 drawers of running kit. 1 is just tshirts and vests.

11 with 4 X 1 mile. Time to make a cuppa and watch the cross country as yet again it is a dreich day...
  • Options

Me too. I feel obliged to keep certain ones even though I'll never, ever wear them.

Notts XC champs this morning. Mud fest. 8th lady but 1st V35 and another gold for 1st team. I totally forgot about the XC on the tellybox.