Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I wonder if that happens more when you get older PMJ, had that a few times myself, very amusing why youngsters hate being passed on a training run.

Had a few nice runs in London this week, mainly around Greenwich Park and Blackheath, between the hard labour of doing DIY at my daughters flat.

I once missed a flight and had to sleep in Moscow airport on my way to St Pete. Very scary experience. Hope you have some better experiences Lorenzo image    

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - there are certainly lots of incentives for running early morning at this time of year, although rather depressingly the start of my longer runs are in the dark once more. Good fartlek.
    Leslie - good prep for Sunday - do you have a target?
    PMJ - sounds like that could be a nice target.
    OO - I'd quite like to visit St Petersburg, but never been to Russia or slept at an airport. Once had to sleep at Ely railway station - that wasn't scary, just cold.
    12 miles this morning @ 7:51 m/m HR 143.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

I forgot to mention that I have decided to retire a pair of shoes today. One of the soles is now hanging off and I've glued it before so time to call it a day after 3 years, 1056 miles and 2 PBs. Not bad for £14.99 from Lidl.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

A man after my own heart Gul, get your moneys worth...

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMJ-  sitting on him just for passing you was a tad harsh image

Gul - you certainly wore those out image My pb at 10k is 40;07, not sure if I have that after last week will just have to see on the day image Had almost instant doms after yesterday which is unusual and not too promising ! image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just back from the track. Nice session tonight, 8 x 800 with 2 min recs. Coach set me a time of 3 mind per rep, so around 5.55 pace.

First 2 reps were hard work and then I just got into it. Slowest rep with 2.57 and the quickest was 2.50 (last one).

That'll do. Next up, 20 mile LSR Saturday morning, proper slow!

GD

• Options
    OO53 wrote (see)

I wonder if that happens more when you get older PMJ, had that a few times myself, very amusing why youngsters hate being passed on a training run.

Got my hair cut yesterday, may make me look a bit younger. Less hair = less grey hair.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, that's getting  your money's worth! I don't usually go over 250-300 miles.

Leslie, you are really getting the reps in. Hope you left some in the tank for the weekend.image Do you have an A race coming up that you would taper for?

GD, nice 8 x 800 session (I'm set for that one next week).

So took Sunday to Tuesday off. Urologist said I could run so did a 12 miler Wed (body felt all out of whack after the days off but was good to get the miles in). This morning the stone moved and I was in a verrrrrry bad way for about 4 hrs. Ended up in the ER and then stone shifted again. No pain since. Unbelievable how nasty this gets when the kidney is blocked (just fetal on the floor and nothing takes the pain away...simply groan and vomit, then repeat over and overimage). Hope the procedure tomorrow does the trick because this is no way to live! Plus it's hard on my marathon trainingimage

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - good track session.
    PMJ - the trick is to just have the grey ones cut.
    VTr - ouch, that sounds really painful. Let's hope they can deal with it for good today.
    5 mile recovery run @ 9:04 m/m HR 130.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

PMJ - "Got my hair cut yesterday, may make me look a bit younger. Less hair = less grey hair"
    Gul - "the trick is to just have the grey ones cut"

or,  one can be blessed with genes that allow hair retention and greying minimised image    image

/members/images/396841/Gallery/dad_1.jpg

but sadly, speed retention not a benefit !  

VTr - sounds awful  . . . .

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Birch you handsome brute- we'll have to take your word this is recent image

VT runner that sounds awful we feel your pain.

High mileage week so far. My local parkrun is closed so will have to try some tourism tomorrow, then planning 18 for Sunday.  

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

And I thought Martin Fry had the biggest hair in Sheff...

Lorenzo isn't Moscow a bit hot in the middle of summer? I took the night train once in Jan from Moscow to Leningrad, now that was cold.

VTR - ouch! Commiserations, that sounds nasty.

Gul - you are such a spendthrift 

Nice DIY-ing from OO.  Paint is getting pricey isn't it.

Got some miles in the this week and toying with a cheeky mara on Sunday, nice long jog to enjoy the scenery if the weather obliges.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

VTR - I thought that was going a bit too well for you image hope its sorted soon image

my "A race" is early sept ...a half mara but I'm not really ready for it ...

Birch- nice hair young man ! I don't have any grey ..or hair retention... this last decade or more,runs in the family ! image

Poacher- enjoy the mara .

4 easy took my 8 year old daughter out for the first mile image

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Leslie, nice one with your girl! I'm trying to get my little rascals to go out for short stretches with Dad.

Birch, you're an Adonis. No grey here (or my Dad) but fortunately for him he's got your retention…I'm hanging in there but losing the battle.

Lithotripsy (aka stone smashing procedure) done. Won't know if all worked but until later but so far no pain and will be optimistic. Cool enough, my doc and his resident are both marathoners. My wife marveled that they spent 2 minutes talking stones and 20 minutes taking about, yes, you guessed it, running!image

• Options

Yikes VTr - sounds as though you had a really painful experience so fingers crossed the lithotripsy (the first time I've ever used that word) has the desired effect.

Great photo Birch - you've probably got more hair than the rest of the blokes on this thread put together.

Leslie - hope your daughter enjoyed her running experience. Any more planned?

Good shoe usage there Gul - I tend to swap mine over every 500 miles or so.

More impressive reps from G-Dawg - certainly building up some speed there.

Poacher - it was pretty warm (29/30 degrees) at times, put overall the weather was very pleasant; the only exception was the torrential downpour while we were waiting in the queue to see Lenin's tomb.

Only managed a couple of runs while we were there - one treadmill session in the gym and then an easy 4.5 miler from the hotel up to Red Square, round the Kremlin walls and back again. Made a bit of a change from Surrey's lanes and tracks! If anyone's thinking of going to Moscow, I can strongly recommend it.

Cycling for me tomorrow morning, then Shakepeare at the Globe in the afternoon.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - how recent is that photoimage 
    OO
     - have a good parkrun and long run this weekend.
    Poacher - which mara are you contemplating?
    Leslie - great to have your daughter run with you.
    VTr - well obviously they had to try and distract you by talking about something other than the procedure! Hope it's well and truly smashed.
    Lorenzo - did you see any other runners out on the streets in Moscow? The mileage on my shoes stand at: 517, 538, 1308, 1056 (now retired), 1118, 779, 331, 369.
    19 miles this morning @ 8:20 m/m HR 137.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Parkrun tourism paid off with a 1st place at South Shields in 18:22 this morning. The field was pretty weak to be fair but I'll take it image

I saw no runners at all in St Pete...not much sport of any kind. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice 19 Gul, silly time to go out of course! image

Top o' the podium OO! Nice work indeed. Can only beat what's in front of you.

I got heckled by a MAMIL today!! image
    There I was, bang smack in the middle of my 20 miler when who should show up on his fancy new bike, Lorenzoimage

Great to see you, pal, it really gave me a boost. Looking good on the machine there.Top memory skills too, thanks for risking the G-Dawg shout in public, First name is Grant but G-Dawg does sound rather 'street!'image

Got a bit warm out there today, just tapped it out at 8.08 average pace. Felt much better than the 15 a couple of weeks ago but after a tough week my legs faded a tad near the end.

First day of the football season today, Woking v Lincoln. Season ticket at the ready!

GD

• Options

Congrats OO - always good to get a 1st finisher token.

Gul - there were a few other runners, but I reckon that they were all tourists as well. 

I've decided not to run Abingdon this year for a number of reasons, most notably because I haven't done as much speed work over the summer as I was hoping so I'll probably do an off road marathon (Greensand and / or Beachy Head) in October instead.

Just under 50 miles on the bike this morning - very pleasant cycling weather.

Was cycling back through Woking thinking about this thread (as you do) and wondering whether Woking lad G-Dawg would be out this morning when I looked up and there he was (or at least someone who I thought was him bearing in mind we've only met once!) on the other side of the road, midway through his 20 miler - spooky or what!

Fortunately it was him so we had a quick chat before parting company - hope the second half of the run went well. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

which mara, Poacher ?
    great to run with the nipper, Leslie image

good long running from GD & Gul. . . .

excellent victory, OO - congrats

nice ride, Lorenzo - 50 miles seems a long way to a non-cyclist  . .  

no running this morn - although I'm often disciplined enough to get up for Sat date with chums after late night, today I wasn't - rather cross with myself now  . . 

footy season starts tomorrow here, G-Dawg - Villa at home for my lot
    my son knows how to live it up though, his mate is a Stockport fan, so they are off to Stockport v Alfreton in National League North  . . . .

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm on the waiting list for Abingdon Lorenzo, but in a similar minds as I haven't done any long runs of late. 18 tomorrow should tell if an autumn marathon is on the cards. 

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

...and Stockport need all the fans they can get. they and Staybridge Celtic are my local teams but there are plenty of other things to do on a Saturday.

Nice result OO. Nice running GD & nice name checking Lorenzo

Park run this morning, pacing lady who claimed to have had 2 bottles of wine in the small hours watching the Rio opening bash, so 20.20 was a good result.

Tomorrow's mara: Hoad Hill. With emphasis on the word "hill". Cumbria, probably in Slokey's manor. Will set an early alarm and decide in the morning but en route to Keswick anyway so not a big detour.

• Options

G-Dawg - I'm definitely an armchair fan, rather than a diehard, but my team will be up against yours this season: Maidstone Utd vs Woking is down at the Stones ground on my birthday this year with the return at your place at the end of March (perfect pre-London preparation!). 1-1 at home to York wasn't a bad start to the season after being promoted via the play-offs last season.

Good parkrunning Poacher - enjoy tomorrow's impromptu marathon.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Could be windy on those Lakeland hills Poacher, take care!

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - congrats on the parkrun win!
    GD - good 20 miler.
    Lorenzo - thinking about doing Beachy Head too. Mrs GD has always wanted to visit the Alps and casually asked if I fancied doing the Jungfrau marathon. Slightly shocked (and mostly terrified) I thought I maybe ought to try a hilly marathon if I were to seriously contemplate the Jungfrau. Specificity in training would be impossible locally of course.
    Poacher - just the name sounds scary. Good luck.
    My local team is King's Lynn Town. Innocuous start to the season with a 1-1 draw against Merthyr Tydfil.
    4 mile recovery run to bring up 76 for the week here.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

For those asking I had planned to start taking my daughter out for runs last month as she is keen to run a little 2k race in september but one thing after another inc sickness has delayed things .She has just taking delivery of some shiny new asics so need to get her out a few times this week as kids these days do very little exercise !

Gul another cracking week !image

0053- a win ! you must be well please with that image

Riverine 10k this morn reasonably flat course.

Once I found the start which was not marked and after asking several people and having others asking me it may have been an issue (nothing on facebook about it either )no info to be had it seems which was a bit poor ...

A downhill start saw a 6:20 first mile and I hit halfway passing lots in exactly 20:00 but by then I knew I had worked way too hard to keep the sub 40 goal alive imageA couple of very tough hanging on/pain fest miles followed for a little disappointing 40:41 finish .I was whipped by a guy who was wheezing and spluttering behind me for the last 2 miles on the finish lap of the track  and not one thing could I do about it !image

Average heart rate 185 max 194.

• Options
    Yes, that is my local patch Poacher, I've run up Hoad quite a few times when I used to work in the town. Hope you had a tail wind!

Had a couple of weeks off pretty much, bit of cycling around Hawkshead yesterday and an hour of swimrun practice early doors today in Windermere - 5Kish run and 1.5K ish swim
  • Options

Gul - I'm very tempted by Beachy Head as it consistently gets good reviews and I've never done it. If you fancy a hilly marathon, I can also recommend the Greensand Marathon at the beginning of Oct - plenty of ups and downs including Leith Hill (allegedly the highest point in SE England) along some great trails including the Greensand Way.

Sounds as though it was a tough one Leslie. With your speed during reps I would have thought that a sub 40 10K is definitely achievable - were you feeling 100% today?

Looking forward to the race report Poacher.

37 miles on the bike for me this morning, including some tricky climbs although looking at today and yesterday's road races, I'm glad I took it carefully on the downhill stretches. Hope that Nibali and Van Vleuten are both OK after a couple of horrible looking crashes.

Total miles run this week: 7 (that's a single digit seven!) image

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey-you needed a rest !

Lorenzo- I think it was last weeks 15k is still in my legs and reps on Wednesday delayed the recovery rather than any lurgy.I ran the last 10k of the 15k at about the same pace so I should be faster. Nice biking .image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - good effort in the 10k. Maybe the downhill first mile set you off too fast. And as you say, probably stil had tired legs.
    Lorenzo - Beachy Head suits me better being in half-term, but still trying to sort out exactly what I'm doing this autumn.
    13 miles this morning. 7 @ 9:23 HR 128 and 6@ 7:49 HR 147.