Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Lorenzo – Nice mileage and thanks for the info about Race Jase. I’ll have to add his blog to my favourites. I miss Steve Way’s. 

Yeah, I might take it a bit easier than low 8 m/m in the 24 hour. Or at the very least add walking breaks in every few miles to keep the overall pace down.

PMJ – Take a break from racing for a while and see how you feel in a few months. Or you could always try targeting some trail ultras!

Gerard – That’s still a solid Parkrun result, as you can’t be on top form every week.

OO – I’m loving the dedication from you and your daughter!

I wish I had a constitution like your pal who did the BG round.

I ran 35 miles this morning including a 20:17 MP Parkrun after 20 miles. I averaged 7:51 m/m pace but did have plenty of breaks for food, Parkrun chats and even did a bit of shopping. I was on my feet for over 5 ½ hours in total with 4:35 run time.

I experimented with a few foods that all seemed to go down well. I took Imodium before I started to see if it would help with GI problems. I didn’t have any which is a good sign but 35 miles isn’t really enough to know for sure. I’ll be running further next weekend so will experiment again. 

• Options
    OO - any footage of the two of you running along the beach?!

PMJ - no harm in just running because you enjoy it. Also good to just leave the watch behind and go where the paths take you.

GM - good news that your food got through today OK. As you say, with a sub-6 first mile it's always going to be tough to hold onto that pace but it's a good sharpener before next week.

Parkrun as planned for me this morning - I've got about 4 or 5 parkruns all within 30 mins to choose from (although there are plans to set a new one up at the Denbies vineyard which will be alot closer) so I opted for Woking as a. it's a flat course with lots of changes of terrain and b. as he's racing tomorrow I figured I'd be save from being beaten in a smackdown with G-Dawg!

There seemed to be a lot more runners (c. 350 finishers) this time around and as it's a fairly twisty 3-lap course it got a bit congested in place so I was quite pleased with 19:30 which is the fastest time of the 4 runs I've done at Woking and enough to earn me a WAVA score of just over 75%. :)

Might head out on my bike with younger Lorenzito a bit later as well.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    BTW Comrades is live on TV right now - streamable on Youtube. Would love to be there (but wouldn't have loved doing the training)
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Badbark nice 35 miler with a bit of shopping 
    Lorenzo decent parkrun and wava.

Walled city marathon today, ,leg still dodgy did it anyway   3:11 scraped a "good for age"  #painfest 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - Well done, 3:11 is a very decent time. I look forward to hearing all about it. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great to see Lorenzo at Dorking today. Well done to you and the club for a cracking event. B)

It was warm in the sun but cooler than last year. The course has a short loop and a larger loop with some testing bumps to slow you down along the way. I ran steady for the first 5 miles and went to work in the second 5. I knew where the bumps were so made sure I respected the course and cashed in on the downhill sections.

Quite a few overtook me on the uphill only for me to blast them on the other side. None of them beat me.  :D

There was a couple of bumps in the final 2 miles that affect your time but I was ready. Final mile split was 6.26, hastened by some cheeky scamp trying to take me on 200m from home. He lost!!

So, registered a new 10 mile race PB of 67.44. Happy with that, especially as my legs could still feel the effects of two track sessions this week (you lot were right).  :p

I used this event as a fitness benchmark for the summer campaign last year, so to be 3 mins quicker is a good place to be going into the Abo campaign.
  • Options
    GerardM said:
    Leslie - Well done, 3:11 is a very decent time. I look forward to hearing all about it. 
    Let's have a bit more detail for a solid run.
  • Options
    G-Dawg - great to catch up with you at the Dorking 10 earlier today and congrats on a big new PB. I was hoping to get a couple of photos of you at the finish for the thread's benefit but by the time I heard your name on the tannoy and got my phone out, you'd already sprinted over the line.

Still - you've been captured on film at the start. Pretty sure that it's you (no. 427 - orange Woking vest for everyone else's benefit) on the LHS after about 50 seconds on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJglWTAHps&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the comments about the race - I know that I'm a bit biased but it's a great race. Because it's the Surrey 10 mile road champs, and is in the Surrey Road Race League, it attracts a strong field (today's winner came in in just over 51 mins) but there's a good spread and as long as you aren't expecting it to be pancake flat, it's a fantastic course through quiet country roads.

Congrats for the GFA Leslie - hope the leg isn't too painful now.

Managed 22 miles on the bike with younger Lorenzito yesterday and then a quick 8.5 blast (also on 2 wheels) after getting back from the Dorking 10 this morning.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Great time, Leslie!  Hope you aren't suffering too much from having pushed it despite the niggles?  Yes, more detail please when you are ready.

Congrats on the 10 mile PB today, GD.  

That is an excellent park run time, Lorenzo.  Looking good for next Saturday.

I'm home and fully weight bearing. Hurray!  Life is good without crutches and I may try without the boot this week.  Especially as I have to drive to my 6 week appointment with the surgeon.  As he is in Basingstoke I probably ought to practice driving (and braking) before I head onto the A31 and M3.  If he gives me the green light, I can look forward to adding yoga into my daily routine and possibly some static biking, swimming and (fingers crossed) pool running.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Walled city marathon report:

After 132 day running streak , 3 halfs, 2 half pb's and a 5k pb in 2 months and an 8 month build up with 1500 mile covered this year so far in 5 months I was in excellent shape .However the last week and pushing a bit too hard the few days before resulted in an injury where on monday I could barely run at all in pain and by thursday I could run free at easy pace but still in pain the signs were not good. 2 days rest got me to the start line.Dns seemed the only show in town ! last 3 mara's injured in the taper .......

Up at 6am and over to the bus for the short trip to the start. A very careful warmup suggested I could hit mara pace but for how long who knows. Its cool but the sun is coming out near perfect conditions 
    Back to plan A and go out just behind the 3 hr pacer ! I just had to know no matter what happened . I also needed a 3:15 gfa and time had run out .
    Great atmosphere and at 8:30 we were off ,4 kenyans who would take the men's podium in some form and 2 locals and a kenyan you would fight it out for the ladies.
    The first 3 miles were a bit random on the gps and 6:36, 6:42 and 7:17 were noted but it was more even than that. A flat for a good few miles and everything felt easy then from 6.5 to 9m we were climbing 3x6:50's and a 7:02 when it got tougher but it still felt fine.
    From 9 to 11m we were on the gentle down hill  though a nice little bit of welcome support then a sharp drop down which wasn't so nice but we were now where I do my 1/2 mara reps " out the line" and I had been tucked in behind 2 club runners for a few miles and the pace was nice and even . the 3hr pacer was even coming back into view and was only 20m ahead now .
    Halfway was despatched in 1:29:11 and things were ok ,the pain in my leg hadn't got much worse but took a little more effort than Id like. Soon 1 club runner in front fell off the pace though so just the 2 off us and not many around at this pace but we were catching some sub 3 hopeful as they struggled.
         Back into town at mile 15 and hi 5'ed my wife and daughter which was cool but I now faced 2 more mile of gentle uphill that had a few much harder hills included.15.5 to 17.5 (6:45, 6;50 and a 7:10 ) Didn't think I was working too hard and flew up the hills but we got it all back in the next mill off hard downhill which was a bit unpleasant ! Its getting hotter now about 17c I think and its starting to have an effect. The next mile was along the railway line with 2 sharp little climbs at the end and this is where the wheels started to fall off with a 7:32 posted .Even with a long downhill after I only got a 7:30. I'm still with club runner but he starts to pull away just a little so on my own now.
    20 miles in 2:17:32 so right on 3hr pace but fading fast !
    Over the peace bridge and the support at the end is amazing ,say my family again and then the rot is getting worse 21, 22 and 23 (7:31, 7:50, 8:26 ) now in survival mode trying to do the maths to see if I could walk some and still get 3:15 !!!
    Mile 24 is this ever going to end ?  I'm done my good leg has been working too hard and my hammy is starting to cramp , the maths says I cannot walk yet !
    Mile 25 and up to the mother of all hills short but brutally steep ( whose idea was that at 25mile ? ) just as I round the corner to the base the DJ shouts my name and a few steps later my hammy cramps I'm stopped . People are cheering me on but I can't find any gears then 2 club runner ladies (not in the race) come over and offer to run up the hill with me , I get moving at a crawl but actually make it up  their non stop chat confuses my legs ! Thanks ladies !
    Up through the walled city arch and down the the hill to the next arch , the city walls are quite beautiful and I'm going slow enough to get a look ,mile 25 was 9:52 and onto the flat but from 25.5 my hammy is cramping every few metres I look a sight and very glad to see mile mark 26. ( 9:20)
    The last .2 is slow any increase in speed my legs cramp as a warning , I can see the clock it's 3:10 I've made good for age at last at mile 24 I wouldn't have taken any bets ...
    2 steps over the line I'm stopped they are wanting to put me in the medical tent but it's not happening , a chair is produced almost as soon as I sit down I'm getting advice to not sit down so I'm up moving again lol . comedy !
    Bag collected and the 400m to the car takes about 10 mins , I left it all on the road ! 

Starting at 3:05 pace would have been a more sensible idea and may have yielded a 3:05 as I died a painful death in the last few miles ,even 8m/mile after mile 20 would have given a 3:05 .
    This is a very tough course and the 2nd half hills take their toll and a 1:23 half is unlikely to produce a 3hr mara here imo .

Final chip time 3:10:51 and 56th place .
    Av hr 176 max 189 bpm.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Me covered in gels ,those things go everywhere ! My no1 fan with the dinner plate medal just afer finishing .
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, Leslie. Brilliant! Leave it all out there, that's a great feeling no matter what the result and your result is brilliant! Chapeau! 

Yes, Lorenzo, that's me. I'm also the one tieing my laces in the opening photo.  :D
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Excellent effort and report Leslie. That's a really good time when derailed by injury, and GFA too, hope you're coming to London next year. No.1 fan looks very proud of you. Doing all that on night shifts is so impressive. If you can avoid cramp there's a much faster time in you.

Nice PB from GD. Nice park running from Lorenzo. Nice recovering from MsE - hurrah.

35m on the bike today in the sort of biblical downpour which would have had Noah reaching for his brolly.

Near miss of the day goes to TP who went to her first Comrades and ran 9hrs + a few seconds, just missing the coveted Bill Rowan medal - ouch. Hard day at the office.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Leslie - Great report and pic with your daughter. Btw, you didn't scrape GFA, you smashed it and on a very challenging course too! Well done and enjoy the rest now. 

G-Dawg - Well done on your pb. Sounds like a tough course. 

Lorenzo - Nice clip of the race. The 1st runner won at a canter. He's quick! 

MsE - Glad you're off the crutches, they are a nuisance. 

Poacher - I watched some of the Comrades footage. Did you see the 1st lady coming into the finish area? It was bizarre, it looked like she thought she had won when she was handed the baton thing and only realised that she hadn't quite finished until some guy tapped her on the shoulder and said "you need to go there" and then she sprinted like her life depended on it. I thought she had a very strange running style too but very effective given her finishing time. 

Last HMP run for me today before next Sunday's race. 2 miles progressive pace, 7:34 and 6:56 to get warmed up and then 3 miles all exactly 6:40 (the last half a mile felt a bit hard) and one mile jog w/d. I'll be taking it easy running this week and plan to have 3 rest days before Sunday as I know my recovery is sloth like in terms of time. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thats a fantastic effert Leslie and a great read. VLM is going to be crowded with forum folk next year. You'll be there and we'll help you get there in better shape- clearly some learning points about taper, and a shot at sub 3.

And a great 10 miler GD- thats my favoutite distance. More to come from you.

Thats a good parkrun Lorenzo, you are also coming into some good form.

And MsE you'll be so relieved to be back on your feet and extending your repertoir.

'6 on the beach' for me yesterday@ plod pace, then watched junior run out a comfortable win at a  local track meet- 10:25 for 3000M.

Cast will be off later today- then hopefully back to training :)

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - is your Ultra this Saturday? It's the Norfolk 100km that day and I seem to remember it was the same date. Excellent parkrun.
    GM - good session as you say and I'm sure you'll be flying soon. I'm hoping to do some parkruns over the next few months and I'm sure I'll start off with some relatively slow ones. All the best for Sunday.
    OO - that must be an impressive new record. It'll give something for OO jnr to chase, but a whole minute is a big ask!
    Badbark - cracking test run in prep for the 24 hour race.
    Leslie - well done! That's a great time by any measure, but under the circumstances very impressive.
    GD - congrats on the PB - excellent stuff.
    MsE - pleased to hear the crutches have gone - upwards and onwards!
    Poacher - congrats to TP - so close too! That must be hard to accept, but incredible effort.
    No running this weekend. Hip/leg was fine, but just too busy! 12 miles this morning, inc. 4 x 0.75M @ 6:20 m/m off 0.25M recoveries.

• Options
    Great report Leslie. I had similar at VMLM 2014 when I did a 20-mile training run in 2:09 and then picked up an injury in the last week or so. I got to Tower Bridge (12.75 miles) in 1:22 but didn't have the cojones to take on the second half so hats off to you indeed!
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Lorenzo – Nice Parkrun time and cycling

GD – Well done on the 10 mile PB!

MSE – That’s great to read you are off the crutches and you’ve got recovery plans made. Safe driving!

Leslie – Excellent report and well done on the GFA. It’s a pity you weren’t 100% at the start line as you’d banked so much good training. If it was me, I’d plan for another marathon next month, as it’s a shame to waste such good training, when you’re in sub 3 shape.

GM – Great HMP training session. Good luck for Sunday.

OO – Glad to read you are getting the cast off. Happy training!

Gul – Great 12 miler and intervals

My legs were a bit heavy today after Saturdays 35 miler but still banked 9 miles before work. I’ll not be pushing too hard this week with a 50k race on Saturday. Then right after I might be run a marathon. :D

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    morning all

Lorenzo - excellent parkrun & WAVA

Leslie - fantastic effort on a dodgy leg, and great report - really conveys the agony & atmosphere of the final miles; and a lovely pic too :)

GDawg - good boost for Abo there - splendidly run

MsE - onwards and upwards  . . .

Gerard - good session - are you confident for the race now ?  

OO - well done to junior - speedy 3,000m,  & victory always good :)

Gul - good start to the week  . . .

Poacher - agonising for your friend, but still a wonderful accomplishment . .

Derby Ramathon (half mara) yesterday - and it went as I feared - after last week 's parkrun I suffered a very tight and sore hamstring/glute. Tried to "manage" it all week, with foam rolling, sitting on golf ball (!), stretching etc - 6 easy miles on Thurs I could still feel the soreness, but didn't get any worse, but Friday rested and the soreness still present. Sat jogged 15 mins, but when I upped the pace to somewhere approaching tempo, was immediately restricted.  Had I been going solo to Derby, the a DNS would have been the chosen option, but a carload  was travelling, and as I'd been the original entrant, I felt duty bound to give it a try ! Not sure what I was thinking, really, but the result was a dropout after 2 minutes - as above , as soon as tried to stride out, I was hindered and "limping" almost. Clearly I'm not made of Leslie's "iron", and it was quite shameful standing at the side as most of the field headed off . . . . so, benched now, but I hope the DNF will prove to have been sensible - couldn't see the point of jogging round in a couple of hours maybe and ending up having a longer bench-time.

Good day for my companions, though - fellow VoGit (he's a bit older than me at 63) bagged 1:32:28 and 80% WAVA, and my son put the boot into his dad's shame by stealing the family half marathon PB from me, taking 11th place with 75:52 . . . .  
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a good decision Birch lets hope you are back soon. Fab time by your son- how old is he?
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Gdawg nice shiny new pb even with a few hard sessions to slow you down, so could be a bit more on fresh legs well done.
    MSE great to have some mobility again 
    Poacher London is a bit tempting if scary too ,gfa interest registered anyway yesterday , it was the gfa monkey on my back drove me on otherwise Id have probably binned it ! Better to have it and not need it rather than the other way round .
    Gerard I'm sure you will smash it sunday.
    0054 great to get off the bench I'm sure.
    Gul nice bit of speed in the 12m.
    PMJ I remember that ,gout wasn't it ,always a tough call to make when racing which is why I was a bit wary of starting at all but sometimes it's for the best . The damage done up to and in my previous mara and being unable to run for about 8 months after did cross my mind a bit ..
    Badbark  I certainly don't intend slacking but I'd probably need another 12 week cycle of  p&d hell to get me sub 3 ,maybe a 3:05 on a good day at the minute. My hr at 176 bpm was a little bit more than I can realistically sustain over 26 miles I think. The next  local mara is Donegal but far hillier than Wcm so no chance of sub 3 there plus only 77 people did it last year and virtually no crowd support either.Dublin is October .No might about you running that mara but it will be tough if you smash the 50k.
    Birch A wise decision, I've come to the conclusion that sore hammies hate being stretched ,if I hadn't have stopped hammy stretching on thurs I definitely wouldn't have made the start I'm sure of it as the stretch was inflaming the injury although for a short time after the stretching  it appeared to be helping but I think I was maybe tearing something a little each time ! Things sometimes heal better without interference.
    Young Birch is fast but the 76 min ? you ran was an amazing time .

Had a little walk and a hot bath last night and a 2 mile walk today and will probably go another one later.Moving about ok maybe tomorrow before the doms arrives !

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

It seems my Op was a success but below the bandages was a real shock too awful to describe let alone share a picture. The doc says no running for three more weeks so I didn't mention I already started. I'll be more cautious though.

Nice one Lesley, go steady.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - are you sure you won't be popping out for the odd marathon during the week? After all your 50k race and possible marathon aren't till Saturday! Seriously though, hope you can rest those legs a bit this week.
    Birch - the right decision; hope you're not on the bench too long. And well done to your son - that's a mightily impressive HM time.
    Leslie - hope the DOMS aren't too bad.
    OO - thanks for not sharing a picture! Hope it heals up quickly.
    I think that the hip issue might be a hint to stop doing all those back-to-back-to-back MLRs, so just a 6 mile recovery run this morning. I'm off to the States at the end of next week for a family wedding, and thinking that once I'm back I'll drop the mileage a bit and focus on some faster stuff for a bit.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Leslie -interesting point re hamstring stretching (or not) - did a fair bit last week to no avail, it seems, so will do none this week, whilst resting from running and using trigger-point (golf ball) therapy !  Will do some walking also  . . .
    OO - he's 29 . . .    hope your op recovery is trouble-free (thanks for not posting a pic) :)   
    Gul -   good thinking re hip issues . . . .   how long will you be in the USA, and will you be able to fit any running in? 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes sounds sensible Gul, similar thinking myself
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Greetings, thread. I'm back from a lovely week in Sri Lanka, but will be honest I haven't been able to read back thoroughly: the perils of following two busy threads (this one and the sub-3).  Hope all is well, and from a brief scan of this page at least, sorry to hear that OO's recovery is taking a while.
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Birch – Sorry to read about your benching, but a wise decision taken

OO – Good news on your OP success

Leslie - I ran Donegal in 2015 and it certainly contained plenty of hills. I did manage about 2:58 and 3rd place though. Maybe Armagh the following weekend would be better? You should also check out the East Antrim Marathon Series – http://eastantrimmarathonseries.co.uk/. They organise a marathon almost every month, which are very relaxed and friendly. The courses range from flat to extremely hilly.

Gul –No marathons this week but I do have one next Thursday! Take it easy on those hips.

Jools – Welcome back!

My legs are back to normal, so I managed 13 miles this morning at 7:40 pace. I ran the majority on soft grass for less impact. I'm really looking forward to thrashing myself on Saturday. :)

Has anyone every run the Chester Marathon? It’s on October 8th and will contain the British Masters Marathon Championships this year, so I was considering giving it ago.

• Options
    I ran Chester marathon in 2013.  It's very well organised, a nice flat route apart from one hill around the 23/24 mile mark which is a bit of a kick in the teeth, starts and finishes on the race course.  Then of course you have all the lovely pubs in the town centre for post race rehydration.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn at the start/finish so it was less than 2 mins walk.  Highly recommended.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello! I ran the Chester marathon last year and it was an excellent race, really well-organised and with good support within Chester and going through the villages. The countryside parts (including running in Wales) were lovely as it was a bit like running in the countryside where I live (north-east Fife) but without all the hills and wind. I wasn't quite in PB shape but if I had been it would definitely have been a PB course, even allowing for the hill near the end.
  • Options
    Lunchtime run steady in the rain. Most notable part was the last mile when an ambulance was trying to weave through traffic and I was keeping pace with him, so he was averaging about 7:40 a mile. Shameless behaviour by many drivers but also pedestrians: "there is an ambulance coming, should I cross the zebra crossing slowly?" F**k no!