Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Dark hedges half mara today .

Booked this solely to run through the Dark Hedges which anybody who watches "game of thrones" will be familiar with a line of 300 year old beech trees which seem from another age which indeed they are !

Dervock village was the start line but the registration hall was well hidden and as I walked about I must have had about 10 people ask me where it was as you couldn't see the sign by car only on foot !

Did my warmup and met BADBARK just before the start and can confirm he does actually exist . The warmup suggested my leg might not be up to it as my left hammy was hurting a bit as it has in the last few races but usually it holds up.
    At 11am we were of and put in a couple of 6:30's in the first 2 miles  which was mostly flat but after 2.5m it climbed sharply and basically before levelling of at 5.2 mile with a half mile down hill . About mile 3 the first proper  hill it became clear I could not run fast up hills at all and this just got worse as the race went on .This was a bit of an issue as from 5.8 to 8m was all uphill which saw my pace drop to 8 m/mile plus on any incline at all.
    Mile 8 was downhill though the famous dark hedges and very nice it was too ,and had some Japanese tourists clapping and cheering us on as a bonus , from there to the finish was net downhill with only a few little blips but it was all about getting in , 90 mins was soon long gone as a target as well .I could go better on the downhills so I was passing the same people down each mile or so to be passed as soon as the next climb started again .
    Glad to get in and my time was a slightly disappointing 1:33:30 , saw Badbark again at the finish and he ran a good race . Treated myself to a double cone with sprinkles and then the painful sit the 1 hr home with my hammy gurning away !

Average hr 177 bpm despite the slowdown .
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Tipping it down here now. 17.2 miles done early doors at plodtastic 8:32mm. Felt good and it was good to get a proper long run in. 
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Birch- sorry to hear that you still have hamstring problems. I had issues a while back, tight/sore right hamstring only upon starting running. Initially it was for the first 50 meters or so, then it got worse and took longer to run off. No issues on walking or at rest. Physio couldn't explain it but as a fill in at the end of a session gave me an exercise that sorted it.
    use an elastic band between your ankles, with straight legs put your weight on one leg and swing the other leg backwards until you feel the stretch, hold for a few seconds then release. Repeat ten or so times, switch legs and do the other side. Repeat two or three times.
    Remarkably simple, but for me it has been effective.
    Give it a try and keep running.
    Birch - I hope you can sort it out; almost certainly hamstring niggles will stem from issues elsewhere.  From my understanding they can come from various sources.  This article nicely sets some out:  https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/injury/bodyworks-hamstring-injuries  Might that help at all?  On the stretching front, I like IGL's rehab because it forces the hamstring to be properly stretched because you are standing on one leg and maintaining a straight back out of necessity because of the elastic band.  It is often the case people round their backs when bending to stretch the hamstring and this moves the stretch away from the hamstring so is less effective.  Form is key when doing any of this rehab stuff.  

Leslie - sorry your hamstring is troubling you. Still a great time in spite of it all (although I know that is little consolation).

I think the thread needs to schedule a Hamstring Chat to brainstorm what is going on....

Jools - glad your hamstring issues have subsided.

Do be careful tomorrow, Lorenzo!  Although it is softer, grass can be less stable and force the ankle to work hard (i.e. it won't have had much of a rest at all).  If proprioception is compromised from a recent sprain, it would end up worse.  (removes pessimist's hat...)

GD - you are getting much quicker. That's a nice pace for a 10 miler.

Gerard - bad luck with the car and DNS.

We have arrived with the MsEttes and MsEsq in rainy Devon for a week's holiday.  After a 4:30am start to beat the traffic, we made it here in good time and were eating breakfast shortly after 8am.  Without the treadmill to hand (foot?) I ventured out for an evening run-walk trot and, man, it felt so good to be outside running.  The same 1 min efforts x 10 I have been doing so far. Focusing on cadence and feeling light on my feet brought the paced efforts to 6:11-6:56 min/mi pace with turnover around 200 spm.  To think old MRP falls within this range makes me realise how much work I have ahead of me.  Still baby steps.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    thanks, MsE - 8 miles yesterday may indicate I conform to the last line of the article

"Running through it is unwise, but that is unlikely to stop the masochists among you"

Enjoy your hols  . . . .
  • Options
    Good half from you Leslie: 1:33 on a tough course is nothing to be disappointed about.

I am always a bit wary of Japanese tourists cheering and clapping. I have been to Japan a few times and they are a great country with a very playful sense of humour. Outwardly, they seem they naive when viewed as tourists but inside it wouldn't surprise me if they were laughing along. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Gerard good long run ,nice to get it in the bag.
    PMJ you could be right I have seen their games shows for fun !!!
    MSE great speed on the efforts there ! I have consulted the google and self diagnosed "high hamstring tendinopathy" for myself and found a few exercises to do for now below .

https://runnersconnect.net/high-hamstring-tendinopathy-injuries-a-pain-in-the-butt/

• Options
    A dozen miles this morning at 9:18 pace and really starting to get into and enjoy these slower paced runs over harder terrain. My usual Sunday run would be a bit longer and mainly of quiet roads at somewhere around 7:30 pace. Recently I have moved off road and onto paths and moved away from the river and up into the wooded valleys, so today was basically running two valleys west (so uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill) and then a transition about a mile south and then reverse the outward leg on a parallel and a reverse transition to get back to the start. I suspect some of the slowness is due to stiles and gates but the aim is to run and enjoy running so I don't bother to pause and restart the Garmin. 

parkrun yesterday in 20:04 and starting to feel that sub-20 is coming back to me. 6:20 first mile left me in about 25th overall behind a big bunch. 6:49 for the second mile which has a tricky field and a set of steps and then I seemed to get a second wind and a 6:19 third mile saw me pick off the bunch one-by-one and end up 15th overall. I usually do the first miles in about 6:10/6:40 so just need the confidence to start a bit quicker again. 
  • Options
    After knowing my wife for 32 years, she seems to have started to understand me. We have some friends who are moving to the Isle of Arran and we had a leaving party for them yesterday. They said there is a road that circumnavigates the island that is about 60 miles long and immediately she was trying to think if it would take me 3 or 4 days to run around and how to manage the logistics of that. Luckily there is a bus route and I reckon 3 days is right so the logistics are easy for 2 of the days: get a bus 20 miles away and run back. The third one is the hardest so bus out, run, hope you can get a bus back.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Me and Poacher (left) after Coastal today. And Junior in the middle
  • Options
    OO54, next to junior is her boyfriend (looks like the same chap at the 10,000s) so who is the last one on the right?
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice run Leslie, decent time on such a course. 

More than decent runs by OO & jnr at the Northumberland Coastal this morning. Multi terrain including beach, boulders and this year lots of mud. The c**pness of my 1.43.01 shows in the photo! First proper run since VLM due to cycling, travel etc. It was laboured and despite being so skinny I feel like there's a load  of timber to shift after a good deal of gluttony. However, one of the finest races anywhere and the first thing pencilled on the calendar each year. If you haven't done it, c'mon up.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    PMJ the guy on the right is a ridiculously fast V50. OO knows him I think.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I know him - he's based here  . . . .
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Tell him not to head up here again, he's too fast and us fat EOGs don't need the competition 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly. He's actually a nice guy, trains with Junior in Sheffield 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Great pic of OO (+ Jnr + O/H) and Poacher - how did you and Jnr get on OO? And is there anything we should know as to why Poacher seems to have some kind of electronic tag / bar code attached to his body?!

Sounds a tough one Leslie so 1:33 isn't anything to be ashamed of - as one of the few people in this country who's never seen an episode of GoT, I've got no idea what the Dark Hedges are!!

PMJ - worth a look at this to give you some ideas when you're visiting your friends. http://ratrace.com/uta/ Or perhaps another reason to go up there. ;)

Elmbridge 10K for me this morning - a very flat course along the river although the surface was more rough footpath with a few puddles than tarmac. It was the race (albeit with a slightly different course) where I first went sub-40 with a 39:55 6 years ago and I was hoping to go under 40 again.

My legs felt pretty heavy while I was warming up but I got into the rhythm during the first few Ks and the first 4 kms were all around the 3:55 mark and I got to the halfway mark in 19:42. However, I was starting to slow a bit and despite the added incentive of a clubmate (who's also one of the senior coaches) about 5 or 10 seconds ahead I was slowing a bit and Ks 7 to 9 were all around the 4:10 mark. I recovered to finish with a final 3:57 but unofficially (i.e. by my Garmin) finished in 40:22.

A little bit disappointed not to go sub-40 again, but I have to take a positive that with a 75.4% WAVA I'm not losing too much speed these days.

Talking of speed, younger Lorenzito decided to have another crack on Saturday at going sub-2 in an 800m and took 3s off his PB in a fast race to finish in 1:58.2 - scarily fast. :)
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    PMJ Id be careful making wild assumptions like that !!!! Nice parkrun and offroad dozen.
    0054 nice pic sounds like a good run out.
    Poacher Likewise 1:43 with no running on an offroad course sounds a very decent outing
    Lorenzo not too far away from sub 40 should be possible with a little focus. Never actually watched "GOT" either and never visited there till yesterday ,one of those hidden treasures under my nose ! Looks a bit like this lol !

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Leslie that's a decent time given the injury worries- the venue sounds great.

Yes you are right Lorenzo- Poacher is only allowed out during the daylight for his own safety ;)

Great effort in the 10k, almost broke the 40 Lorenzo- and Congrats to your son that is a wicked pace for 800.

As Poacher says the Coastal is quite a race and sells out in about 6 hours. Conditions were good this year but the heavy rain caught us all out with the wrong footwear in the mud. After a couple of poor years I was back to decent form today with 1:28:47- the course is about 13:25 miles. Junior was a couple of minutes back but was 4th lady. I was 2nd V50 behind that chap Sammi R who is the V50 10k UK champ on the track. This years champs are a week after the GNR on a track near me. I might give it a go but suspect I'll be eating his dust again.

As for Poacher, always a pleasure to meet you Sir. How you can run that course off zero training I don't know, but it was a much better achievement that your comment suggests. Lets hope you put in a bit more training for Hull Mara!       

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Great racing guys and photos. 

Lorenzo - Fairly close to sub 40 and a very good WAVA. That's a tasty 800 by your lad. Nice one.

10 miles for me today to add to yesterday's 17 and Friday's 6.2, getting somewhere closer to some sort of decent fitness. 

• Options
    Lorenzo, how can that be an Ultra Tour of Arran? Seems to be a tour of only one side of the island.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Freemers - thanks. I doubt that I'll ever get to race that one, but you never know!
    GM - it would be rude not to do the HM then! Nice long run.
    OGL - hope you can fulfil that hankering one day!
    Leslie - that sounds like a tough course and a great effort.
    MsE - enjoy the outdoor running and the holiday! I would love to be in Devon.
    PMJ - Isle of Arran sounds appealing too! Didn't realise it was quite so large.
    OO - great photo and excellent racing.
    Lorenzo - good effort in the 10k and close to sub 40. Super fast 800m by Lorenzito.
    Couldn't make parkrun again this weekend, so just 5 slow miles early on Saturday. Too much beach cricket (and I seemed to be doing all the fielding) left me in need of a rest on Sunday! Then 5 easy miles this morning.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    One hour plod this morning. Windy but warm. 
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

OO / Poacher - the coastal does indeed sound like a great race.  Love the photo :)

Leslie - mighty fine time on what sounds like a touch course

Lorenzo - very close to sub 40, great run

Another 15 miles ticked off yesterday, after 8 a bit quicker on Saturday.  4.5 mile recovery run this morning.

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Leslie – It was great to meet and have a good yarn with you at the Dark Hedges HM. You ran a good race considering your injury.

MsE – It’s great to read you are back running outside again. Enjoy!

PMJ – Man-up.  :D:p 60 miles is too close to 100k, not to run around the island all in one go. You could set out early one morning, run around the island and still be back in time for a late lunch. :)

Poacher – Great photo! Good running all things considered

Lorenzo – Nice 10k time with a good WAVA. Junior is a flying machine

OO – Excellent HM+ racing

GM – Great mileage over the weekend

Gul – I’m sure beach cricket fielding was a good interval session

Freemers – Good weekend mileage

As Leslie mentioned I ran the Dark Hedges HM on Saturday. I was happy with 1:23:44 on an undulating course, only 20 days after the 24 hour race. This was good enough for 8th overall and 1st M45, winning £20. This has cemented my age group lead in the HM series, with only 2 races to go. First prize is a £200 voucher for a local running store. :)

My next ‘A’ race will be the Chester Marathon which incorporates the British Masters Marathon Championships. Its 11 weeks away and my race over the weekend, was my first of 13 races over the next 14 weeks. Next up is the Cookstown HM on Sunday.

• Options
    Badbark said:

PMJ – Man-up.  :D:p 60 miles is too close to 100k, not to run around the island all in one go. You could set out early one morning, run around the island and still be back in time for a late lunch. :)

When my wife said it was 60 miles round I said "it's an easy day's run" and she said "not for you" and I didn't really have a reply to that. She knows how broken I am after a hard run marathon and it is hard to explain that running twice as far may be easier.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    2 maras in 1 day is certainly in some ways easier than 2 in 2 days (or 6 in 20 minutes like Badbark). Because you avoid overnight DOMS and because the pace is slower, by 1 or 2 min/mile. And the mental effort of getting up for day 2 or 3 of a multi day event can be tough.

OO - blowing a northeasterly hooly up here today - would have made yesterday quite a bit easier/faster.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Just catching up. Some good running going on, especially good to see MsE progressing well.

Abo campaign continues for me. 16 trail miles covered at a leisurely 8.34 pace on Saturday. It was softer underfoot due to the rain and could certainly feel the extra workout. Also getting on well with the Salomon backpack I've been using in the trails. Nice to have both hands free.

Recovered with a 3 miler yesterday and tonight did 8 miles with 8 decent hill reps in the middle. A good session which averaged 7.15 pace which was surprising as there was slow walk/jog recoveries down the other side of the hill before belting up and over it again.

The odd niggle creeping in but managing them ok.  We continue...
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Freemers - some good miles in the bag there.
    Badbark - cracking performance in the HM on Sunday. Looking good to win the series.
    GD - a couple of nice sessions there.
    6 x 800m this morning off 200m recoveries. Struggled with the last couple in particular. 2:53, 2:56, 2:56, 3:02, 3:06, 3:06. Probably set off too hard. 7 miles in total.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice progression for Abo GD, and tasty track session there Gul.
    PMJ your Mara pedigree is excellent. Strolling round 60 miles might be worth considering.
    BB I think our talents come closest around 1/2 M distance. That's a great time on an undulating course and around what I expect for the GNR in 7 weeks- I'd really like to get under 1:23. Above that distance you are the king!
    How are the legs Poacher? I had a rest day but back at it today with 10k paced Reps.