Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Really well done, that looked and sounded really tough. Enjoyed the report and video clip. Dare I ask what's next? 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Surely a Forrest Gump USA coast to coast is next?  B):D
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    GerardM said:
    Badbark - Really well done, that looked and sounded really tough. Enjoyed the report and video clip. Dare I ask what's next? 

My next 'A' race is this - https://www.facebook.com/belfast24/

I'm targetting 220km+ which is the Irish qualifying standard
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nurse...NURSE!! Badbark is out of bed again!! 

:D 
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg said:
    Nurse...NURSE!! Badbark is out of bed again!! 

:D 
    LOL

I’m pretty busy for the next few months with 'B' races too. :)

22/04 EAMS Not the London Marathon Marathon

27/04 Ards 10k

7/05 Belfast Marathon – then a Spanish holiday until the 17/05

18/05 EAMS 12 Hr Challenge

27/05 Newry half marathon

02/06 Balbriggan marathon

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Taper week was going well until I went along to the club GP last night and blasted 3.5 miles at sub 6 pace. It did feel good though ;)

• Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Just had it confirmed that VLM helpdesk that I put 4 hours down when I entered the ballot last May. Its a bit frustrating that your start pen is determined by a time you put down 11 months ago. Looks like I'll be spending the first few miles fighting through traffic.

Along with last nights rubbish tempo run its another thing to add to my rising maranoia!

I will reply to them and ask if I can be moved forward but the website does state that it can't happen.

OO54 - Bloody hell that's fast! Which marathon/s are you doing again?

• Options
    @StevieWh I'm in the same boat albeit a pen ahead of you. My current plan is to get to the front of that pen, go out reasonably hard before the inevitable slowdown around the merge at mile 3/4. Must resist the urge to do a big overtake and overcook myself. Someone who did something similar last year said there's ample opportunity to make up time around Canary Wharf when things thin out

Had my final 20 miler cross country on Monday in the driving rain, collecting half the Wiltshire countryside whilst I was at it. Rest yesterday followed by a 8 times 800m effort (6 m/m) on the treadmill. Struggled to maintain my 5k pace for even 800m but know I could do it comfortably outside. Anyone else find this?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    well done on the 10 miler, PMJ.

OO- Shame that you didn't perform as you wanted at the 10k, though last night looks to have made up for it. Well done also to junior.

Badbark, that's a pretty decent mix of distances planned over next few months. 

Stevie, yes it's an age old problem with mass events like London. You can improve so much in 11 months.

Southwark runner, be careful from burning too much up trying to progress. I have started on all three starts in pen 1 and 2 and my first mile has always been a nightmare. I've never really noticed any paricular congestion at the merging of starts. It may also be a bit easier this year with the waved starts. 

I'm off work this week on childcare duties so squeezing my training in around that. Easy 10 last night followed by sports massage then 5 x 800 this morning on treadmill at 5k pace to loosen legs off after massage. I also ran them at 6mm  so 3 minutes a rep and found them quite comfortable. 

Southwark  runner, you say you ran at 6mm and struggled to maintain that as 5k pace. I'm not sure if you are saying 6mm mile (18.30 5k) is your 5k pace? 

Conditions look very still Saturday morning so I'm planning to go back to Worcester and going a bit harder at parkrun. That should then fatigue legs a bit to make the Solihull half at MP a bit tougher. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Its Paris Mara this weekend Stevie, then London in a couple of weeks.

You are right DT19, would have been much happier if the form had arrived on Sunday but a good sign at least.

Glad you last long run passed smoothly Southwarkrunner- all systems go!

• Options
    @DT19

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. If I was to race a 5k tomorrow, I'd do around 18:30 all going well. As soon as I try that pace for 800m intervals on the treadmill, I really struggle. I guess I'm not much of a treadmill natural
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I understand. you must have improved dramatically if 11 months ago you thought it would take you 4 hours for London? Or are you disproportionately better at shorter distances?

Running fast on a treadmill isn't for every one. I like it as it guarantees the pace is consistent and to slow down due to fatigue you have to consciously decide to press buttons. 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Plenty of speed there OO and conditions looking good for Sunday.  Have you got a time you're targeting? 
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

OO54 - Good luck with Paris, I am seriously considering it for next year. Especially as I have a friend who is considering a marathon but wants to make a trip out of it if he does one.

Great running as always DT - you are looking on course for an excellent time at London.

My plan for the rest of the week is: Tomorrow around 6 easy miles with 5/6 hill sprints included. Then I plan to race Stratford parkrun Saturday, hopefully get a PB then run the 5 miles home. Then finally Warwick half on Sunday.

Whether it all goes to plan is a different story!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Paris is a good course although not as well organized as London- I think this is my 4th. Target is 3:05 SBD. If I feel good I'll push a harder. if not I'll back off and save something for London.

Treadmills are called dread mills for a reason....

• Options
    Greetings from Florence - am here for a couple of days to absorb the Renaissance with Mrs L before heading down to Rome to see friends.

Looking back, the highlight is clearly yet another act of total madness from Badbark - congrats on the podium finish and good to see that you're going to be taking it easy for a few hours before your next undertaking! 

Southwarkrunner - +1 for not going too mad in the first couple of miles. Plenty of time to get into a flow rather than exert excessive energy weaving in and out of people.

Keep the reports from Ghana coming in Gul

Good luck in Paris OO - look forward to le report. 

Happy with the last few days' running following the Maidenhead 10 on Good Friday. Parkrun on Saturday, easy on Sunday followed by 90 minutes of social badminton and then just over 19 reasonably hilly miles on Easter Monday. 7.5 miles of easy commuting (apart from a manic dash back to Waterloo in the evening) yesterday and 8 steady with 5x2 min bursts this morning.

Planning to have a gentle run along the River Arno tomorrow before tackling the Uffizi Gallery but it starts to look up even more when we head down to Rome. A quick look to see whether there were any 5 or 10K races revealed that the big event this weekend is the Rome Marathon - bother, opportunity missed although at €90 it's not cheap. However, it's also the inaugural Rome parkrun on Saturday - woohoo! Just need to somehow print my barcode off and we're in business. ?

Ciao. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - that's some racing schedule. No slacking now ;)
    OO - speedy stuff. Have a great race in Paris.
    stevie / Southwark runner - hope you 're not held up too much, but just enough to keep the brakes on at the start.
    DT19 - good dreadmill work. Have a good MP run at Solihull.
    Lorenzo - sounds like you're having a great time in Italy. Rome parkrun should be a great experience.
    Been enjoying getting to know a few people here in Ghana. Helped cook a traditional Ghanaian dish and did some shopping at an art and crafts market; hopeless at haggling but don't mind paying what seems like a reasonable price even if it's over the odds locally. Done a couple of sessions on an exercise bike and never sweated so much in my life! Our daughter is baking some chocolate brownies for her friend today while we relax reading.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are having a great time Gul, must be nice to bee with your daughter- quality time indeed.

We fly tomorrow and meet up with a group from RW Paris marathon thread for Pasta on Saturday night. I think that group has been going nearly as long as this one. I don't contribute much these days but it has also morphed into a FB group which is also fairly active. Always good to meet other runners, especially when racing abroad.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    sounds like an interesting holiday, Gul. 

oo- Good luck in Paris.

Lorenzo, great timing for Rome.

Just a spin class today. As I think Stevie said last week, I'm enjoying myself too much to taper so the next two weeks could tough.

I had an e mail off liverpol half as they had calculated what everyone would have ran had the course been short. My adjusted time was 1.22.55, which is about what I calculated it as, and would have been a 44 second pb. It would have also been 3rd straight half pb-

3 Sept 1.24.15
    17 Sept 1.23.39
    March 1.22.55
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

DT - Great half times! Have you decided on your marathon goal yet? I agree with the enjoying it too much to taper, im trying to be disciplined though. Won't be long until we can get back to full training after London!

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Badbark a suitably busy schedule for you 
    0054 nice bit of racing enjoy Paris 
    Gul having a great time and a good rest .
    Stevie you were very lucky to get in the ballot so just enjoy the race going out a little slow will leave some in the tank for the last few miles ,very hard to get a ballot place nowadays .odds are very poor I believe.
    DT19 that's great improvement should be sub 80 soon  !

Club session out and back 1.75 mile with orders to pick it up on the way back, out pace 7:05 ,back in 6:40 managed to pass a slow cyclist several times on the return who then kept speeding up lol !

• Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Good luck 0054 - weather's looking nice, especially if you are on the earlier start. Keep an eye out for the 3 legged stool flag from the Paris thread (still don't understand that).

Southwarkrunner - that's an excellent 5k time; I seem to be the opposite of you, can easily smash out the 800m treadmill intervals but an 18:30 5k is out of my reach at the moment (I think).

DT19 - ridiculous half mara times there. Assume a pretty lofty mara goal now?

Low on the running for me this week, missed a Monday recovery run due to social arrangements (a lot of eating); so a slow 4 Tuesday morning followed by track session in the evening (900m / 450m / 250m x3, with a final 400m effort) 900s were a bit of a struggle but I was smashing the shorter efforts.

Missed the 8miler planned yesterday due to work in London, but managed to get out to Hyde Park this evening to meet a mate - our plans were in sync so we paced out a brisk 10 miler in 1:08 on the nose for a 6:47 average; pretty consistent on the pacing; it felt tough though.

Wouldn't have been able to push myself to that on my own so great to have him there. With 3miles of warmup/cooldown a nice half marathon for the day. Still unsure on marathon pace.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nicko I'm unsure on mara pace too and it's 2 days away! I'll probs go off at 3 hour pace and see how I feel.

Setting off soon for flight to Paris. Will no doubt be back with some updates. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck in Paris, OO. That was my comeback event in 2013 after I had my right hip re-shaped 12 months before. Marked the end of a long rehab process and the start of a new era of running for me.

Taper week one almost complete and not without it's issues. My left hip area has been playing up, especially at the lower back top of glute area. I've been giving it some serious roller treatment as well as tennis ball direct pressure work which seems to help. It's certainly better this morning compared to yesterday.

Had a rest on Monday and then knocked out a 67 min 10 miler on Tuesday which felt quite good. Did a 4 mile recovery on Wednesday and hit the track last night.

The session was two sets of three 1km efforts at a pace set by the coach with a 200m walk/jog in-between. I was set progressive 1k times of 3.5x, 3.4x, 3.3x for each rep. I hit all the markers and it was a good session without being too taxing. A 2 mile warm up and a bit of a warm down bagged me 7 miles for the night. 

An easy paced 15 miler tomorrow and 4 mile recovery on Sunday will total 40 for the week. And then, taper week 2... :)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It has a lot of special memories for me too GD. You've come a long way since then! Good luck with the last long run. 
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Good luck OO54!

Nicko - Great tempo run, I knew you'd get it done!

Tapering is going well so far, 6 x hill sprints last night. The hill happens to be a Strava segment and I managed to take another couple of seconds of my best time up there. 2m WU/CD to make 6 miles.

Got a bit of pain right at the bottom of my left shin in the bend between my foot and leg. Doesn't really bother me while running but not quite sure how to tackle it. I will try and keep stretching and rolling it!

Easy 8 this afternoon and then warwick half on sunday will take me to 35 for the week.

• Options
    MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got any tips on how to cover up the sole/heel of your feet to protect where skin has peeled off?.  I don't think I have any blisters, more where some skin has come away during my 22 miler.  I've tried a few different tapes but I can't find anything that stays on during my runs.  I wear 1000 mile socks which normally do a very good job.  
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, OO!

MrS: big compeed?  They stick to most things!  Sounds painful, though, so take it easy.

Busy week here, so have been lurking but not posting much.  Club session on Tuesday was Kenyan hills: 8 x 3 min hard and 2 min jog on a hilly loop.  Lovely jelly legs from the 4th rep onwards...  Rest day Wednesday and then 8 miles steady yesterday.  Hopefully I'll make it to the gym tonight for some fun cross-training.
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    MrSoft - is it an area that's getting rubbed raw, or more that the skin is breaking?

Joolskawhat was the Tuesday route? I'm looking at doing some more of the club stuff and not just track. Definitely need to get some hill repeats done.
  • Options
    MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    More of an area being rubbed away.  I'm normally fine when I wear the 1000 mile socks, so not quite sure what has caused it.  It's bearable on my runs so far, but I felt it at the end of my 22 miler, so I think it would probably cause me problems in the second half of my marathon.  

I can normally cover up most problem areas before a run/race and it seems to work, but this has been a pain to cover up because no tape/plaster seems to stay on.