Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Excellent result OO - sounds like you got the pacing spot on.  Enjoy the rest of your time in New York and look forward to the full report.

And congratulations to Badbark for casually completing the Halloween Frightner and G-D for nailing marathon number 16 with an easy run along the Thames (hopefully you spotted a few rowing boats on the river between Putney and Chiswick!).

That's still a pacey 10K DT and you can't beat winning a prize.

Some fast times at Abbey Dash Birch - the offspring are getting pretty quick! 

Plenty of time for taper madness Gul - perhaps it's time to stock up on the Kale?

I thought Snowdonia was tough but Mont Blanc Marathon sounds interesting Lorenzo ...

Still rebuilding here - 9K today and hopefully a milestone breaking 10K tomorrow after which I may declare myself fit to train.  It's been a bit of a strange injury (the habitual calf tear), so recovery always seemed at most a few days away but just when you thought it was safe to try a test run the calf would go again.  After 7 weeks of inactivity and no imminent return to running, I started using the stationary bike out of desperation.  Mentally hard work, but managed to knock off 634Km in October whilst rebuilding the strength of the calves.  I'm hoping I can now abandon the stationary torture machine and return to some running!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good work SBD. So frustrating for you but don't rush, keep it sensible and you'll come back physically and mentally stronger. You're a quality act.

Brilliant stats. OO. Compared to you, those of us much younger aged 51 and still in the youth ranks, we appreciate the inspirational stats you've shared for us to use as motivation for our next campaigns. :p

Joking aside (but I do mean what I said above), that really is something else! Bloody superb! #Chapeau
  • Options
    Solid marathon performances over the weekend. I always reckon the flight to the US takes more out of us than is immediately obvious so OO's 3:03 is worth a sub-3 on a home course. Madbark mad as ever and just an outing from G-Dawg: you watch out as it is a slippery slope to Madbark territory. 

Bit pissed off: Sunday did an early 11 before seeing #2 for lunch in Cambridge. First 5 miles over the hills went great. Got to the river and crossed at a lock with 6 miles flat to return and looked at a grating and thought "that looks slippery" and promptly slid on it and turned my ankle. Nothing too bad I hope (I was able to run back) but my foot is blown up like a balloon at the moment. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well my first return to NY in 14 years. It was great to get back round Central Park each day and feel the he atmosphere building. There were a few errors and gamblels in my pre race preps. We had meals included in our hotel package but there were limited carbs available, and no pre race pasta. There was also a free bar so I indulged in a few sherbets every night. Finally I bought a pair of Skechers at the expo. They were so comfy I took a gamble and wore them for the race.
    Logistics on race day were awful, 90 mins on a bus followed by a 2 hour wait on a patch of waste land at Staton Island.
    When we finally got going and I was near the front of my start zone. The bridge was playing havoc with my garmin so 7:30, followed by 6:00 1st and 2nd mile was inaccurate. More concerning was my HR which was in the 180s for the first few miles. Fortunately after that it started to settle. I’m not sure what caused it.
    I was running steady sub 7s which was comfortable, reaching half way in 1:30:30. I had no expectations to go sub 3 and was happy to keep that pace aiming for a sub 3:05 which seemed possible. My troublesome knee was fine and the only pain was coming from my right hip- this continued for the whole race. The new shoes were also holding up. Just after half way the 2 sub 3 hour pacers caught me running side by side. A busy gaggle of followers came past me like a train- not pleasant. I d decided to hang on the back about 50 meters back. By 20 miles one of the pacers put his flag down and slowed up. ‘I’m burnt out’ he shouted, ‘don’t follow me’.Sad to confess this but it gave me a bit of comfort and motivation seeing the pacer break down.
    It was a long grind from 18 to 23 but I kept below 7s. At mile 23 in central park there was a steady last long hill where I struggled and did my slowest mile at 7:30. After that it was tough but steady to the finish. No cramping, and no huge emotions crossing the line. It just felt like a hard ground out run and relief to finish.
    I gave it everything and worked harder than any other marathon this year. At the end I could barely walk, so the 2 miles stretch to get my bag and hobble back to the hotel was not at all easy. The nice weather and warm congrats from many locals made it a little easier.
    Looking forward to a rest now, and back to the speedy stuff. At least until Xmas, London this weekend, including a parkrun plod, before Seville training starts in January.
  • Options
    DT - a week on Saturday.
    Birch - 32:58 was 126th? Quality field indeed! Great racing by your family. I've been eating sweet potato and kale with a bit of cheese for lunch for about 6 months now so it was a nice change to have some spinach instead yesterday.
    OO - very impressive stats. Age-graded place 212 out of 30k is amazing. I think the logistics of the race start would drive me mad! 
    SBD- pleased to hear you're on the brink of a return - great dedication to the aerobic training on the bike.
    PMJ - unlucky. Hope it heals up soon.
    6 easy miles this morning.
  • Options

OO - You ran a cracker of a race there and your stats are very impressive but we all know how good you are, so no surprise really. I totally agree with what PMJ said, defo worth a sub 3 on a home faster course and without all the pre race tension too. I watch the race every year but I don't think I could be arsed with the pre race hassle.

Birch - Was that a pb for your lad? He's class!

Gul - Not long now! Are you feeling good?

SBD - Sorry to hear of your injury woes. Hopefully you'll be back to some running routine soon. What seems to cause the issue with calf?

G-Dawg - Nice casual marathon there. Sounded like fun.

PMJ - That's a real pain. Ankles can be troublesome things. Hope you are back to it soon.

Badbark - Great marathon again. You are really racking them up.

DT - Nice 10k. Always good to be comfortably under 40 and you were so not too shabby at all.

Jools - How are you getting on?

MsE - Any progress your end. I do hope so. Wanna say hi?? :)

I've being doing bits and bobs, very low mileage but trying to get some speed back. Did parkrun last week and ran 19:00. Felt good and not flat out so hopefully can get a nice pb there soon. I really want to lower my 5k pb which is 18:36. I'd love to get close to sub 18. We'll see.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Great effort, OO. The travelling must certainly knock it out of you. I'm not sure I could trust myself pre mara at a free bar hotel!!! Also I never knew skechers did decent running shoes.

Birch, nice successful family outing at the Abbey Dash!! Yours sons time would win about 90% of 10ks and he must be quite used to running solo a lot of the time, so having so much company must have made a pleasant change?

PMJ, hope the ankle fixes quick.

SBD, I quite enjoy stationary bike work, though it is usually in the context of a spin class. I used to have a x trainer/elliptical machine in my spare room and used to quite often smash out 10 miles on it on an evening. I don't think I could bring myself to do that now.

Gul- looking forward to seeing what you can achieve.

Gerard, i'd like to get closer to sub 18 myself. My next target is to finally run a sub 83 half and run a 10m and/or a half at sub 6.20mm average. My 10 mile pb is exactly 6.20mm and I am racing my pb course in 5 weeks. Main target though is brass monkey half.

Started with some normal training this week though a bit stiff from sunday as I am not used to that effort. 5 miles at recovery yesterday followed by spin and 8 miles easy over lunch today.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Birch, congrats to the family especially your son, that is exceptional. 
    Personally I felt the travel to NY was OK. I didn’t adjusted my sleeping much and we went to bed most days by 9pm. I felt fresh and awake on the day of the race having had 4 days to adjust. I’m not convinced I would have run sub 3 on any course that day, but here’s hoping for the future ;)
    The Skechers were soft and spongy, I’ll give them a few more weeks and runs before they get my complete vote, but for the price (about 80 dollars) I was pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    unfortunate, Philip - hope the swelling disappears speedily, and you get back to action pronto  . . . 

OO - your report confirms you really did tough it out - take it easy for a while, definitely !

DT/Gerard - yes, it was a PB - as a spectator it was great to see so many fast runners flying along at the front end  . . .   

nice parkrun, Gerard, at sub-optimal effort - is your parkrun a tricky course?  do you have any reasonably local ones which could be better for your PB quest?  

Gul - relaxed ?  

pretty slow, but enjoyable, social run with my chum early afternoon - 10 d&d  . . .   
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hope the ankle calms down PMJ, we are getting into the silly season with weather and visibility 
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good report OO - amazing you ran so well given the various things that went wrong.  What do you put the absence of late mile cramps down to?  I spent ages thing about the ideal pacing over the Verrazano Bridge - do you not think those initial mile splits are down to the bridge profile?

Good afternoon miles Birch.

DT - I was doing 40min/25K sessions on the stationary bike.  They have some Wattbike Pros at the gym which were quite nice to use.  I'd decided to keep the HR at a reasonable steady level (equivalent to a steady run pace) which unfortunately meant my quads were complaining most of the time.  Good recovery sessions from you.

I'm sure an 18 minute 5K is reachable with some focussed speedwork Gerard.  My calves have always been the weakpoint - I should really have done more strength training over the years to avoid these problems but it's always difficult to find the motivation once any injury has healed.

Are you going to follow the P&D plan taper for the next 11 days Gul?

10K on the treadmill tonight so I shall have to count myself back in training.  Still a bit of building to do over the next 5 weeks before starting the marathon campaign in mid December. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope the ankle has calmed down and there was no tearing, PMJ.

Good to hear you're back running SBD and you can now get on the base build.

You can smash that 18 barrier, GM. Any long races planned?

Love the NYC details, OO. I really want to do it next year, so every detail is great to hear. Not so happy about the start line faffage. Sounds similar to Boston with a fleet of coaches delivering runners to a holding area before setting off. The coaches were the yellow school buses, so not much leg room for us taller types.

5 mile recovery run last night with the two lads I did the marathon with on Saturday. Chatting speed only as we felt our legs unfolding from the weekend. 
    Got to get them back to some sort of working order for the XC meet this weekend. I think I've blown my chances of competing with Lorenzo but I'll go along for the laugh and the training session.
  • Options
    GM - good parkrun. I think you should be able to beat your PB after some focussed training. Not feeling too bad myself - nervous about all the colds at work so trying to remember to avoid letting anyone make me a drink.
    DT - when is the brass monkey half?
    OO - well executed race. Hope you recover well this week.
    Birch - another double digit notched up. Pretty relaxed here, but trying to avoid the temptation to look at the weather forecast.
    SBD - good news. Just take it steady. I'll be loosely following P&D in terms of mileage, but probably won't do a 13 mile MLR this weekend and will do the odd few bits of MP next week slightly differently.
    GD - good luck recovering for the XC!
    Badbark - will watch the video later, but sounds a bit ominous! Take care.
    8 miles this morning, with 3 x 1 mile in 6:02, 6:12, 6:16. First rep was a bit ambitious.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SBD - nicely timed return to training - so you'll be fit to start "the training

Gul - looks like the first rep took its toll on the other two  . . .    

another 10 today - mostly slow, like yesterday, but inserted 6 x 400m'ish  "efforts" in the second half 
  • Options
    Birch - nice one. You are shelling these 10 milers like peas.
    Disappointed to say that it looks like I'll be missing the Peddars Way Ultra again. Entries hit max allowed yesterday and although I thought it might allow a few extra on the basis of X% not turning up on the day, it required a link to results of a marathon run in the last 12 months, which I haven't done (no official ones anyway).
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD I was on the underside of the bridge so maybe a signal issue. At the 1st mile marker my watch was showing 0.9 so measured long. The camber down on mile 2 definitely helped pick up the pace.
    Not sure about the cramping but I guess with the high mileage and multiple maras my legs were up to the challenge. Cramping has been a problem in the past. 

• Options
    OO - at least you get mile markers in the U.S. rather than kilometres, which I assume are more usual in other overseas marathons. How are the legs today?
    5 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, Brass Monkey is 13th January so gives me a good 10 weeks. Good session yesterday and nice easy miles today.

SBD- when i'm injured I just do loads of spin classes so it's a bit more interesting than just going solo on the things.

Good luck Saturday, Badbark.

Nice 10 again, Birch.

Doesn't look like i'll get any xc in this year. The first 3 fixtures of the main league I have family things on and I have already missed 2 fixtures in the other league we run and cannot make the 3rd. Just doesn't seem any point trying to adapt to it for a couple in late January.

Aiming for a bit of a session over lunch today.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Legs are on the mend Gul. Swim and light jog planned today. We are in London for our anniversary this weekend so a new parkrun planned- will be interesting to see how the legs recover for that. Not sure if I’ll race or pace my wife.
    Already looking forward to our smackdown in York DT19 ;) I’ve  got a few races planned before then- over much shorter distances.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, enjoy the weekend away. I have a 10 miler in 5 weeks but other than that I am concentrating on a solid training block. Whilst I wouldn't get anywhere near you in a 10k or below I might have more of a chance in a half.

incidentally I have booked a room at holiday inn at York race course using the England athletics discount link. Got an executive room for £68 which seemed very reasonable. 
  • Options

A lot to catch up on here! Been hectic and work and at home so have just been reading rather than posting.

OO - Massive congratulations on the NY result. I watched some of the elite race and the course looked really good. Aiming to do at least one US marathon in 2020 so its going to be a tough choice!

G-Dawg - Love the sneaky marathon! Cracking time so soon after Chicago as well

SBD - Sorry to hear about the calf. Sounds painful, do you know what caused it? I can feel it in my calfs when I neglect my hip/glute evercises & stretches

Gul - Sounds like the taper is going well, really excited to see what you do.

Badbark - Excellent marathon and good luck for the next one this weekend!

DT - I have decided against XC as well. I'd rather not risk getting injured for something I wasn't that keen on. Hope the session goes well. When/where is the 10mile race?

Gerard - Good parkrunning, I'm sure you can get close to sub 18! That is my goal by the end of the year as well.

Starting to get back into some proper training. Did a 5m tempo at 6.35s on Sunday and 37m last week. 16 x 2min last night with the last half at 5k pace. Paces were 5.40-5.50 which is encouraging. Will do another 5m tempo Sunday in the middle of 12m but a bit quicker this time. Will be aiming to start at 6.25 and work down to 6.15-6.20

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stevie. I enjoyed NY but it would be a one off. Boston 2020 is my priority and maybe Chicago some time. I’ve entered the Berlin ballot for 2019 by the way- first thing I did when I got home from NY.
    I’ve done York a few times DT. It’s fast and flat and draws a high quality field. I ran 1:23 this year which wasn’t good enough for a top 3 V55 prize! We know the city well and I’ve alread booked up for the weekend. We will do York parkrun the day before and I’ll pace Mrs OO. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo I'm targeting a sub 83 for it. I'm assuming there's plenty of company running that sort of time? since I've been sub 85 I've found hmps become increasingly lonely. 

sounds like you are recovering well Stevie.

I did my first session in a while today. it was a pyramid session with recoveries at mp which sort of kept the effort up. covered 5.8 miles at 6.33 average. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great session there DT. I love that sort of effort. Hard work but great stats after.

Track for me tonight. Just over 4 miles consisting of a warm-up, then 4 x 1k in 3.40 per rep with 200m recoveries, followed by a couple of easy laps with 80m strides. 

Fairly easy session  due to keeping something in the tank for the 5 mile XC on Saturday. Legs are a tad tired so won't be challenging the points but will enjoy the fun.
  • Options
    Great result in New York OO -  shame the organisation left something to be desired but sounds like an overall great race to experience.

Belated congrats to GD and Badbark racking up another marathon each at the weekend - a good looking medal from the Halloween Frightener - I love the ones that are a bit different.

DT - that sounds like a great 10k result and a far better time than I have ever got so great running that man - hope you used the prize wisely.

How's the ankle PMJ?

Sounds like a few good training runs have been happening from Stevie, Gul Darr etc.

G-Dawg - are you doing the Swansea area XC?

Not much from me this week, a wedding at the weekend then turned 37 on Tuesday so been eating and drowning my old-age sorrows a bit. Had a nice birthday run finding some mud and hills though; and track session tonight 800s/400s with a few warmup miles.

Looking forward to Gower on Saturday now - the weather looks pretty atrocious and it's been raining all week there, but that will just make it more of an experience.
  • Options
    Some good mara running going on from the usual suspects.
    Nicko Happy birthday lad ,old age is biting us all !

After a month of nothing got out with the club Tuesday for 25 mins of continuous hills and Thursday for 2 hilly laps about 1.7 miles each ,my quad starting tightening quite a bit near the end with having done nothing for so long but no damage done !

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    nicko - No, I'll be at Epsom Downs race course with Lorenzo. He'll be running like a race horse, I'll be running like a cart horse!
  • Options
    OO - have a good anniversary weekend.
    Stevie - nice intervals - you'll soon smash your 5k PB.
    DT - good average pace for your pyramid session.
    GD - speedy track session - best of luck with your XC.
    Will be out late tonight with work, so decided to do my final MLR this morning. 12 miles and almost a royal flush, which hadn't been my intention. 8:40, 8:13, 8:04, 7:56, 7:55, 7:50, 7:35, 7:06, 7:08, 6:57, 6:47, 6:41. Cotton wool now till next Saturday.
  • Options
    Oops - missed this page.
    nick - old age? ha! ha! Many happy returns. Shame about the weather. Hope it goes well tomorrow.
    Leslie - glad to hear you managed a couple of runs.