Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Nice 12 miler Jools. Yeah the 40’s are next on the schedule here and they said early April, so I hope to get it by then. Haven’t seen my Mum for a year and a half now and I hope she can visit soon. She’s had COVID and the vaccine now. Ireland is a mess and people are just fed up now. Hope to get back there this year. 

Had a cracking run yesterday. Ran to the reservoir to do a loop on the trail path. It’s undulating with plenty of twists and turns. Downside was a pesky stray dog went for me and I had to stop. Very aggressive so I waited a few minutes for it to chill. Was worried it would chase me if I ran off. No owner in sight. So annoying. Aiming to get out for an easy recovery run on lunch today. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hope you get to see your family soon Gerard. I'm sure the OO crew will be back some time too 🤞
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Unlucky with the dog there, GM. Sounds like a nice run though.

Seems those on here that said the vaccine seems to have more after effects if you’ve had Covid are right. It seemed to build up on me after the first 12 to 18 hours and stopped me running for two days. It was weird knowing I didn’t have a virus but my immune system was having a party with the vaccine.

Still got a sore arm and this morning I had heavy eyes, just like when you have flu but felt better by lunchtime so had an easy 10 miler on the trails with my eldest lad. Cracking weather, a bit of mud and some good fun with the boy, it was great.

Still feel a bit tired so will limit the weekend miles and begin again next week.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice couple of runs there, Jools.

Gerard, thanks, things seem to have really kicked in this last 6 months. Dogs are a real bug bear for me, or more so dog owners. Let your dog run wild if it isn't interested in rampaging at other dogs and people and you have adequate call back on it. Sadly too many people have no call back at all and must know their dog will chase runners. All I get is 'it's OK he doesn't bite'! Little consolation to me as a dog I don't know is charging at me and I've had to stop my run! Hope you get over to see the family soon.

Gdawg, glad you are beginning to feel better.

My wife had a text this week inviting her to make an appointment and she has only just turned 40. It seems, despite it not being part of the plan that surgeries are trying to get to all those that don't make the cat 6 list but still have some vulnerability. My wife has quite bad asthma and also a friend of mind said he was having his today and he can only conclude that it is because he is marked as having asthma, despite not having it since childhood. I get that approach and think it is more sensible than just taking everyone in their 40s. She is in at 8.58 tomorrow morning.

I did my last big run today on my 'lunch break'. It also incorporated the Ashby virtual 20. I entered this months ago because I didn't expect to get  to today and Dorney still be on so was going to use that as an end of campaign smash. I also entered because for those that aren't familiar the races trademark thing is that every finishing gets a bespoke hoody for that year, the colour of which remains a closely guarded secret until race day. Anyway, for £20 it seemed quite reasonable for a new hoody to add to the 3 I already have. In the circumstances I had to run this at easy pace, however what was a surprise was what this ended up. It was probably my best proper long run ever. I just kept getting faster whilst HR and effort remained low. Ended up with 7.26mm for a 138 average HR. Context wise my average HR in my last mara was 165. The last 8m went 7.20, 7.19, 7.21, 7.19, 7.14, 7.05, 7.04 and 6.46.

10M at mp on Sunday and then a taper. I am going to be in the bizarre situation that on Monday there'll be a weather forecast for Dorney, but I still won't have categoric confirmation that the race is on!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I had a killer whippet put a hole in my shorts and teethmarks in my hamny today, must be the spring air......

Dawg - ive been contacted and have my jab next week and it might flare me up too, so i might have to be careful for a few days too

DT - well done on getting to the taper. I think itll be later next week for a yay or nay as Runbritain will no doubt take a while after Boris's update on monday. Im going to control the controllables (for now) and swerve Dorney in favour of Goodwood 3 weeks later, frees up easter and a decsion reinforced by now having my CV jab next week, whilst i didnt have many CV symptoms it defo affected my fitness for a while. My absence should help guarantee decent running weather for dorney, given my bad weather record.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes probably the best decision for you there. Is there a govt announcement? I assume that must be to state that the next stage on March 29th can go ahead or not, which is perhaps why DCMS have been hesitant to finalise its stance. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - yes, the govt have to confirm on 22nd if 29th is on target.......my sons play club cricket, the ecb put out their draft roadmap for the return of club cricket, they expect to play with the same protocols as last summer, but the travel point says to follow govt guidelines.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    20 @ 8.08s to make 61 for the week. Slightly breezy, but pretty pleasant conditions. Definitely spring rather than winter!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Solid 20, Jools and decent total. 

My wife had her jab yesterday and not so much as an aching arm. 

Today was 10m at mara pace. Thankfully I woke  up in reasonable shape having had beers, wine and curry last night. Could feel Fridays 20 in legs a little. Planned to just sit at 6.30mm. Lost discipline a touch second half and came in 6.28mm average though only 2 miles slightly out of line in 6.23 and 6.25. Average hr though was a ridiculous 150. Importantly as well though it wasn't really drifting with a 6.29 last mile and 152 average hr for example. 

For context  end of last Feb when I thought I was in 2.55 shape, 10m at 6.31 for 159bpm. End of November 8m at 6.27mm for 161 bpm, so a completely different effort level really. 

Have 8 at mp Friday so will use that as a full kit tester. By then I should know if Dorney is on or not. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice 20 Jools and agree about Spring feel.
    Bad boy DT, curry and booze is not the right prep, my heart would be racing!
    Last in the GP series yesterday averaging 5:59 min/miles for the 3.3 miles course. A few secs slower than last months but I was happy with that. Then 16 today at plod pace for a 51 week.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Well done DT, my sort of fuelling. Your stats back up your improvement, so whatever happens re Dorney you have defo improved and the fitness is banked. Racing is coming soon, we just dont know exactly when. Looks like we are heading towards a stay local situation, but need clarification.
  • Options
    For the first time this lockdown I drove a short distance for my exercise today. The council are digging up the only flat footpath round here that isn't lined with shops and I had 10 miles at 7s on the schedule. Plus WU and CD of course. I ran the Notts 10 course and it came out at 6.53s. I wasn't dying on my arse like I normally would be at the end of 10 miles at MP, in fact I was barely out of breath and my first cool down mile still came out at 7.26. So I'm very chuffed with that. The last time I raced the Notts 10 I was slower, although to be fair I had an absolute shocker that day.  

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - lots of miles in the last few days.
    GM - always good to make a bit of progress :) Hope you can get to see your mum before too long. Watch out for pesky dogs!
    GD - good muddy run - hope you're feeling better by now.
    DT - you really couldn't be in any better shape - hoping it's good news soon and then you can go smash it.
    TR - I guess it would take a whippet or faster to catch you :)
    OO - excellent racing - that must be 1st place for the series in your category?
    Speedy - the council did you a favour then?! Great effort.
    Still resting here (plus a few general and core strength and foot exercises). Feeling like I ought to be back out there running, but resisted the urge and did some more decorating this morning :(
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, have you seen the UKA update? Minimise travel gone and now travel permitted for training and competition.  Looks like Dorney is happening.  

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, runbritain need to say the same, but i assume they will. Good news if so, im pleased for you.
  • Options
    Oooh, my 10k is looking more and more likely if travel is permitted :)

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It's all going your way DT 👍
    What will your target be for 10k Speedy?
    Yes Gul 1st v50 and 2nd overall. But to be honest not many did the full series so the competition was limited in the end. Very sensible to rest up Gul hope it does the trick. I also had a rest day and helped Mrs OO get her shop ready for reopening in April.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, well done on the club Gran prix. You can only beat what's there!

Speedy, which 10k?

Gul, take it easy and come back slowly.

TR- Yes glad I stuck with by my guns now. Wasn't easy at times in January and February when it seemed like a less than 50% chance, though my own progress was a motivating factor. Have a sports massage tonight as stage 1 of my taper process.

• Options
    Mallory Park 10k in Leicestershire. I have no idea what my target should be to be honest. My hilly 5k time trial was 20.00, but on Sunday I ran just a smidge over 90 minute HM pace on the flat for 10 miles and felt comfortable, and I'm sure I could have have run a 90 minute half if that had been the session. The race is pretty flat but could be windy. Maybe I should just go for 40 mins and see how it pans out.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That'll be a bit soon for me after Dorney. I'm eyeing up the chase the sun 10k from Prestwold Hall on 20th May. It's an evening race. 

You ought to be there or thereabouts Speedy, particularly with another 4 weeks training yo come. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done on the series win, OO.

Sounds like good news for those who want to race (not until I'm vaccinated, thanks. Covid has made me realise I'm more risk averse in terms of my health than I'd been kidding myself all these years!).

6 recovery yesterday and 8 with 12 sets of strides today. Mr Jools and I have the week off, so it's been nice to have slightly later starts.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Always good to have a target Speedy.
    Why do you feel more vulnerable Jools did you catch Covid? Enjoy the hols 👍

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I've had Covid, about a year ago. I guess I've been seriously ill once (as a child - I missed months of school) and so something which has the potential to be as serious is best avoided. I get that for my age group the main issue would be long Covid rather than high risk of death, but that's still potentially pretty serious, and so for the sake of a few more months until I get the vaccine, I'll wait.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounds sensible, Jools. One week since the jab and the jab area on my arm is almost pain free. I’m such a wimp!

Great race result, OO. You can only best who’s there and the ones that we’re didn’t beat you. Nice one!

I now laugh at the fact that when I see DT pop up on Strava I have an automatic reflex action of, “holy sh!t”, “bloody hell!” or just start laughing. Ridiculous pace, Sir, great commitment.

Vaccine forced a cutback week last week, so just a 10, 9, and 5 from Friday to Sunday to bring 34 up for the week.
    Had a trail recovery last night of 5 miles and wondered what to do today as it was 5 days in a row.

Went for a 12 miler made up of 2 miles harder with 1 mile recoveries (x4).
    The harder efforts were around 6.4x and the recs were 7.1x.
    it was a bit blowy out so had a headwind at times and cars and pedestrians made for some challenging social distancing. 
    Average pace for the trip was 6.56, so a nice consistent session when I really wasn’t feeling the love before heading out.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Jools, it's obviously a very subjective thing. I have friends, neighbours and colleagues who all have slightly different approaches. We'll al be vaccinated in a few more weeks (hopefully) so concerns can then start to reduce.

g-dawg, nice session there. You're in good shape given the stage of the cycle you are in. I trust you are referring to lunchtimes outing?

Nice little fartlek, 40 mins with 4 mins on, 2 mins off. Covered 6.55m with an average pace of 6.07mm. Went through 10k in 38.10, which kind of blows my mind as i'd spent 6 x 2 mins easy running. The peculiar thing was that I wasn't hanging on or anything and when I finished it was no hands to knee type scenario.

Anyway, that's the last of the sessions as such, albeit I have 8m at mp on Friday, which if I pace right isn't really a session.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    It's regularly operating around the 6.0x area that gets me, DT. Great to see. Very high quality sessions. You deserve a good number at Dorney to reward you for the effort and commitment you've put in.
  • Options
    You just have to wait until you're ready Jools. For me I know I'm ready. I've had Covid and I have antibodies (had an antibody test). The jab will top them up, but if I didn't catch it again when I was sat in a tiny unventilated room with my dad when he died with it, then I'm almost certainly not going to catch it outdoors at a race. And even if I did, I don't leave my house except to run and the only person I see is my best friend, who gave me Covid in the first place and is already vaccinated. My fear in earlier times was passing it on to someone vulnerable, but there shouldn't be anyone vulnerable who isn't vaccinated by the time the race is on (unless they chose not to be, but that's their responsibility, not mine).

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play to you DT, agreed with you re Jan and Feb, i originally planned to run Dorney with 2 others and they fell away. Top bombing today, you are ready for sure.

Jools - fair enough, youve waited this long,  racing should be more or less normal by July for smaller races. You defo dont want long CV, my wife is still breathless (even without seeing me naked).
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I've been lucky to escape so far and now me and my wife had the jab I feel comfortable to race. 
    14 today at a gentle pace
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

TR, my neighbour (mid thirties) is only now about to return to work on a phased basis having had covid last March. That's my biggest fear with the condition as opposed to the initial hit of being unwell.

Just had a look book and yesterdays session was also done at the very end of January on the same route. Average HR was same as yesterday but average pace was 6.24mm compared to yesterdays 6.07mm. Bizarre figures! Weighed in this morning at 10,3, lightest ever and a stone lighter than London 2019, being my last mara.

Off out over lunch for a nice reduced 9m MLR.