Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Some great racing and outcomes there, OO. Not too shabby when you consider they all happened on the same day.

Speedy, that is quite a big session and easy to make too big by running 10s per mile too fast. My tempos peak out at 10m, but I do cover circa 13m at MP but in a broken up effort as opposed continuous.

Some good runs being posted there, Gul.

Good to get the 20 in, SBD and a decent weeks tally.

Jools, yes, as long as the A race comes together, the rest can be written off.

Having run long Friday, I did my usual Friday tempo yesterday. 8M with usual application of nudging it along 2nd half. Came out 6.22mm for 162bpm so reasonable but not peak level by any means. I think a week of beers and footy is having an impact so after being out again yesterday, i'm staying off it this week until Saturdays game.

Have my 2nd jab over lunchtime, so going to duck out before it for my 5m recovery run.

• Congrats on the Masters results OO - super impressive. 

Sounds like 15 mile MLRs have been in vogue. 

Trent Descent is going well so far. 20 mile walk on Saturday from the source just north of Stoke to the point where we dropped off the kayak followed by a v easy 2 miles run to round off the day, then about 30 miles run along the canal (very flat!) from Stone to Branston yesterday and a slightly more undulating 21 mainly on the roads today. Reckon it's about 27 tomorrow as I wind my way through Nottingham. 

We've raised just over four grand so far which is also a huge positive. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - still definitely not too shabby! Hope jab passes without any ill effect.
    Lorenzo - great going. We passed over the Trent by Newark on Saturday and thought of you. Hope all goes well today and the rest of the week. How are your legs?
    6 easy miles this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Enjoying the Strava updates, Lorenzo. Looks like a great journey.

Awesome results on the Masters there, OO. Funny how we can feel better seemingly out of nowhere after a dip in form.

Hope the second jab brings no side effects, DT.

Had another weird bout of running anxiety today. Really didn't fancy going out for some reason. Not sure if it's just running or cumulative life stresses as the moment as there's lots going on at work and at home, there's work going on in the garden, so it's all good stuff, really. Strange. Must be my natural pessimism.

Anyway, got out for a lunchtime 10 miler and decided to do alternate miles of 7.0x and 6.4x. Hit all the splits bang on and averaged 6.54 pace. Really strong run made easier by the dip in temperature, only 16 degrees today but with a stiff breeze at times. Felt comfy.

A good session and shows some early campaign form.

Ready to watch England tonight on TV. I should be there as I had tickets but lost out in the ballot for the reduced capacity allowance. Would have been a nice milestone as at the same stage of the competition in Euro '96 I was in the Wembley crowd when we beat Netherlands 4-1. What a night!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Surprised to hear about your anxiety G Dawg and hope the stresses of life ease soon- you seem to be on fine form. With me I think it was more a few mystery off days in the midst of some fine form. Just unlucky I raced during that period. 
    Lovely few days in the Lakes ending. Rested today but planning a decent run in the morning before heading home 👍
    I'm mildly engaged with the football but few expectations from England 🤔 Meanwhile the Denmatk game was superb. Russia just proved that a dictator led States are rarely capable of mustering team spirit in any sport.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - sounds like it could be stress. Hope things ease up. Great session though. Not as convincing by England, but at least they improved and got the result.
    OO - hope you had s good run before heading home.
    20 miler this morning. Out and back along the river at an easy pace (7:56 avg).
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Gul! 20 miles and back by 07.20, well done!

Very early miles for me, out at five to seven for 5 trail recovery miles. Will probably go to the track tonight for the pyramid session.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Seven counts as early to me.  A good time for recovery miles G-D.  Do you do these on a flat section?

Impressive early 20 miler Gul.  Somehow, 20 feels so much more significant than 18 even though it's only 2 miles further.  Is that the first for a while?

Hope you had a good last run in the Lakes OO.  You're lucky you're so close.  It would be a good 5 hour drive from here.

Good work on the Trent Descent Lorenzo - beats following a tube line in London!

That's still a decent tempo session DT.  Have you booked your place at Bedford yet?  I'm planning to be there for the HM as an MP run.

A tempo session yesterday (10K in the middle of 10 miles, with the 10K at 6:42/m) and then the MLR early evening today.  These are usually hard work following the tempo but the legs felt relatively energetic today.  So 15 miles, slightly progressive at an average 7:33/m.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's a flat trail route, SBD. Nice work on the 15 combo.

Track tonight to add over 5 miles to the daily total.
    Nice pyramid after a 1 mile warm-up. 
    3x400, 2x800, 1x1200 and back down again. One minute standing recoveries.
    Decided to set the pace at 90 secs for every 400m and managed to hit every split. Strangely, I got quicker as it went on and had to hold back a tad. Good signs

Very enjoyable session. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - nice double. I was back just before 7 yesterday as you were going out :)
    SBD - good work for a couple of great sessions. First 20 miler in about a year I think!
    10 slow miles today. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice work on the track session, Gdawg and the double day. I get a bit anxious before some runs for sure so you're not alone.

Gul, you are smashing in the miles. Amazing you can do 20, get back and tell the tale on here all before I've even got up!

Lorenzo, hope the legs/body are holding up well.

SBD- good bit of tempo work. I see the Germans still have UK on the banned list despite opening up to most of the rest of the world. I really can't see Berlin being feasible.

As for Bedford, I entered a while ago as another race I was doing with them cancelled so instead of taking the race alternatives they proposed I just switched my entry to  the 20. My plan is to run it as I plan to run London, which at that stage in the cycle maybe a little faster than mara pace. It'll be 10m at 6.30-6.35mm then 10m getting faster so average pace starts pushing towards mid 6.20s.

No side effects from 2nd jab accept a slightly sore arm which was good. Bit of a session yesterday in the warm sunshine over lunch. Really did pick the wrong day this week to do it. 3 x 2m off 2 min jog/walk. Pairings came in 5.52 and 5.54, 5.47 and 5.57, 5.46 and 5.57 . Overall pace was 6.10 with recoveries and 6.37mm in 39.18. As you can see from the individual miles, the 2nd mile in each block I was blowing a bit and overheating.

Spin first thing this morning and a recovery run a bit later.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - glad jab passed with no ill effects. Good session in the heat.
    6 mile recovery run today.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Got my long run in over lunch as out tomorrow for the footy. 6m easy followed by 2 x 4m at mara pace off 1m easy then 1m cool down.

Just sat at just below 6.30mm for first set of them upped slightly for 2nd set. Great way to make a quite long run pass by quickly. Much easier mentally than plodding out 16. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - that's a cracking long run. Enjoy the game today.
    12 miler earlier today. Was a bit pushed for time and ended up doing 2 w/u and 10@7:00/m. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I couldn't do that sesh DT, far too hard for me. Good luck today should be a great match 🤞
    Looks like another  big week Gul. I'm also on for a 60+ week but mainly slow easy miles. I'd like to get up to 18 tomorrow which would be my best for a couple of months.
    I had a casual look at the London mara advanced training plan. It looked pretty light. I'm sure most of us do more than the peak miles in that plan on a weekly basis. I wonder what is their definition of 'advanced'?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice session, Gul. That much be 10 at mara pace?

Oo, I think if you are running genuinely at mara pace as opposed something 10s per mile faster then it isn't that big a session really. I was more tired from Wednesdays session in the sun and an 8m tempo Sunday. Nice to have a few light days now before a pretty meaty week next week. 

There's a local midweek 10k on 14th July which doubles up as county 10k champs. Even though its a hilly course, I still feel I can squeeze my pb a bit, plus low 37 would put me in contention in v40 for a medal. 

I'd say the definition of advanced will have changed a lot in last 20 years with such mass participation in marathons.  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - enjoy your long run today. I think next week is a big one on the P&D schedule.
    DT. - good luck with the 10k. My local 10k has been moved to Aug so will probably do it this year 
    6 mile recovery run d&d to make 74 for the week.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I had a squint at the 'advanced' schedule and I guess it's advanced compared to the other two, but...

Plenty of miles for you, Gul.

A Cotswold Way Relay recce for me yesterday showed that hopefully I won't get lost (I can remember the route better than I feared given I last ran it in 2014, IIRC) but I'm not hill fit at the moment.  Unfortunately I couldn't risk doing lots of hills on the weak ankle, so unusually for me I won't be storming up the climbs, but will have to try and make up time on the flatter sections instead.  We took it nice and steady so my legs weren't too trashed ahead of 19 today with a nippier clubmate who I pegged back to 7.45s (I think my legs would have preferred 8s, but she usually does her long runs at 7-7.30s - !!! - so it was a reasonable compromise).  62 for the week, as required by Messrs P&D.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A good weekend Jools - a wise decision to take it easy on the hills.

Good mileage for the week Gul.  Any more 20 milers coming up?

Nice MP sections in the long run DT.  Are you doing these on a flat course?

It will be ironic if Berlin goes ahead but the British are denied entry.  Hopefully Boris can make it work!  It does look like the Berlin Half Marathon in August will go ahead just before the Delta variant gets a grip in Europe.

Hope you got your 18 in today OO.

Nice paces on the track session G-D.

The plan called for 18 with 10 at MP today, so headed off to Sussex for the Thurlow 10 miles.  I didn't realise it was such a trek until yesterday when I was working out the logistics - so a 6 am start for a 2 hour drive almost in to Gul-land!  Realised it was quite windy during the 8 mile warm up and there were a few undulations to contend with.  My plan had been for nice even paced 6:45 miles but the first three miles (off-road, uphill and in to the wind) were hard work and the pace came out at 7:15/m.  Thankfully, managed to pick up the pace from this point, helped by chasing down runners ahead, covering the next 7 miles at an average 6:36/m.  Crossed the line in 1:07:12, so an average 6:43/m, finishing in 19th place and taking the AC win. Not a bad day's work given the conditions.  Two mile warm down to give 20 miles for the day and 81 for the week. Cut back week next week which is welcome.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice run in the Cotswolds Jools.
    Monster effort SBD and weekly mileage too- you are a beast.
    My 18 became an easy 20 at 8:30.pace for a 68 week. It's a cut back week now with a 5k track race Sunday and a 3000m masters race on Monday. Its difficult mixing track with marathon training at the moment 🤔
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice weekend of running. When is the relay?
    SBD - great work and deserved result. I'm a week behind you, so 18 with 10@MP this week for me. Mind you I may add an extra mile or two ;)
    OO - yes, quite a variety in your schedule at the moment!
    16 mile MLR for me today, 8 slow miles out and 8 easy back. Should have been 15, but there is a 6 + 4 mile recovery day on the schedule this week. Unlikely to do a double so slotting an odd extra mile here and there instead.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Nice miles and flex there, Gul. I have the P&D book and nick ideas from it but don't follow it the plans exactly. Funny how they call a 15 miler an MLR when for me it's an LSR when I run it slow.

Which is what happened on Saturday. 15 slow miles that should have felt better than they did. Never really got going. Maybe a full day working in the garden the day before didn't help? Got a 5 mile recovery in yesterday to scrape 42 for the week

Out today for  7 that was much better. Averaged 6.53 in muggy conditions and felt pretty good. Need to 20 over the next two days to hit 200 for the month in what is already my biggest June total ever. Just need to squeeze runs around work and football.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good running all round. It would be great to get a longer report and pics from Lorenzo on the big adventure. Quality fund raising too.

((GD)) take care

Last week was my biggest running week since 2019 - a full 8 miles, over 4 outings. Don't laugh. Like being a beginner again. This morning, it was 3m, mostly run. Nosebleed territory. The knee is holding up so far, I reckon that if the LM happens in October it might be a goer, although it would take 6hrs. Which would not even be a PW.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    This is heartwarming news Poacher. I'm dreaming up your costume already 🤩
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great news, Poacher. Let's hope the miles build as big as the strength in that knee. Fingers crossed.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    GD - heading for a big total this month. I guess what distance you call a long or medium long run is all relative.
    Poacher - good news on the knee; here's hoping it continues to hold up and we'll see you in October.
    10 miles with 4 @ LT this morning. Splits were 6:22, 6:25, 6:31, 6:21. So a decent improvement on previous weeks. Pleased with that 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, that's some trek to run 10m at mara pace. Sounds like it went well though and great work on cat win. 

No, not a flat course like when I used to do them on race course, but equally barely undulating at all. If it was a multiple lap 10k course, you'd get away with calling it flat. 

Poacher, good to hear from you, hope you can build on that. 

Gul, some good running there, particularly those lt miles. That is a decent improvement. 

Nice work banking a 20, oo. 

Gdawg, hopefully you'll get the miles in you need. For me an mlr is up to 13, after that it's a long run. 

Footy for Wales didn't quite go as hoped Saturday, but we are in good company going out this round.  I was brutally hungover Sunday. Good result for England today. Me and two mates bought tickets for the final yesterday so we are hoping it's England v Italy. 

Meaty session today of 3k at half pace, coming in at about 5.59mm average, followed by 4 x 1k at 10kp, all coming in low 3.30s then another 3k at half pace coming in at 5.58mm. 10m all in and really suffering in second half.  I'm on192 for month with a 10m tomorrow morning. Based on my Dorney cycle this is essentially December, during which I ran 203m so building nicely. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - cracking session. Building nicely, as you say. Well done bagging tickets for the final.
    6 mile recovery run today to make 300 for the month.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was out early (I mean early in the normal definition not Gul's) at 8am for my 10 miler. Not my favourite time to run but I needed to get it done and dusted due to work commitments so that's 202 for the month and a decent start to month 1 of the London build up.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Just a steady 6 for me early on before work. Still buzzing from last night's England win. Looks like work may scupper my track session tonight, so I'll have to settle for 195 for the month, my biggest ever June.