Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Garmin Set Up Link

there you go MsE - can't rememer who originally posted it but worked well.

• Options

Went for gentle 30min swim this evening just to get the lungs going a little. Starting to switch up diet a little bit now. A friend of mine is pals with Liz Yelling so been annoying him for some of her last 48hr hints and tips so I can share here:

Easy 10min run on Friday, carbo loaded meal Friday night, last major meal Saturday lunchtime, light meal Satruday night, early night, brekkie around 7am, no more fluids 30mins from start.

I experienced the heat of 2007 FLM too and setting off at planned pace probably cost me 20mins in the end. Seems we could end up with the same weather again. Would defo recommend respecting the heat and adjusting your pace accordingly before you start. Tough decision but could mean losing 5-10 mins rather than 20 or more.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Excellent poem Birch.  Very fatherly and very well written.

That's got the hairs standing up on the back of my neck Ormski.  Not long now.

MsE - Don't worry.  We used to look at the lingerie pages of home shopping catalogues when we were kids.  If we the internet then we would have probably done the same.  Just tell him that it shows what he has been looking at and it will probably embarrass him into not doing it again (although I don't have kids so that may be bad advice) image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    DM - Superstar, thank you! I even understood the explanation of how to do it and my worry about missing a mile marker was also answered in there.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Martin - you would make a great dad as that advice is spot on. Right, I am going to stop thinking about it. At least he seems to be leaning in the right direction and I can have hopes of being a grandmother one day image
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

They have to look to learn..... my did that then turned round and said it was disgusting..... thats what you get with a 15 YO with Autisum... the truth.... LOL was funny, but then found out that the sites he visited had got a virus on the computer..... not so funny, but he learnt...

4.25m tempo tonight followed by massage, legs in good order

• Options
    Yes, massage! Got one tomorrow lunchtime and cannot wait. Should be all, ahem, set then!
  • Options

Evening all!

Reading back after a couple of days off line.

KR  - As others have said you put in the work required and achieved some excellent PB's along the way. Take heart that the next marathon you do will probably be a lot better. You show great mental toughness to get through to the end. How are you feeling now?

SBD -  How unlucky to get injuried with the starting line in sight, feel for you.

XPS - like both posts but am now extremely worried about being a VLM 'Virgin' but what will be will be, I feel I have done as much (+ a little more) than would give me a fair result.

Sat home on a rest day. Mind is wandering about thougts of cramp at mile 20........

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Ormeski, I ran the first 4 miles of FLM 2007 in 6:30 per mile- just got carried away. paid the price at 20 miles, doing the last mile in 9 mins....live and learn.

3rd day of rest for me- not planned, just didn't get the chance.  Not sure it matters much at this stage.

• Options

Thanks for all the positive comments, feeling a lot better physically and mentally today.
    “That what does not kill you can only make you stronger”.

Sending out good vibes to all of you doing VLM this Sunday - do your best folks, no matter what!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Um, feeling a bit nervous today for the first time. Off to the Expo with MsEsq, MsEstte1 and MsEtte2. Leaving MsEtte3 and puppy at home with a babysitter so I can have a good look around and possibly flex my credit card a teeny tiny bit image

Stay injury and illness-free VLMers! May the force be with you.
  • Options

9 miles at 7:14 MP in East La Loma Park, Modesto today. It was a rather warm 70F when I set out, and still 67F when I finished as the sun set. This is the location of one of the potential races I've found for the weekend. Not sure what the course will be, but the main track through the park is only about 4 runners wide and it would have to be an out and back course which could be interesting. I looked at the results from last year and the 10k is only a small race however, only around 100 runners, and if the standard is the same this year I could win! I have found several alternatives however, including a half, two other 10ks or a 5 miler, but the first three are at least a 90 minute drive, which is a pity as one of them is an innaugral race round downtown Sacramento and like looks quite a big event. The 5 miler is a bit closer as it's part of the asparagus festival in Stockton, which is the next major town north of here in the California Central Valley. The problem with all the travelling races is that to register on the day you have to be there way early, between 6:30 & 7:30 for one of them, which would mean a very early start, so I guess it comes down to a choice of the local 10k on Saturday or the Stockton 5 miler on Sunday. Wonder if I could swing it with the wife to do both?

BTW if you think pedestrians in the UK are bad, those in the US seem absolutely clueless where runners are concerned, but they're very good at apologising afterward. I guess it could be down to the fact that they're not used to seeing runners going much faster than about 10 minutes per mile however, judging from what I saw today.

• Options
    MsE wrote (see)
    possibly flex my credit card a teeny tiny bit image
    Feel free to flex the card but be sure that yoiu are not tempted into runing in anything new.
  • Options
    Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

9 miles at 7:14 MP in East La Loma Park, Modesto today. It was a rather warm 70F when I set out, and still 67F when I finished as the sun set. This is the location of one of the potential races I've found for the weekend. Not sure what the course will be, but the main track through the park is only about 4 runners wide and it would have to be an out and back course which could be interesting.

BOTF, I use garmin connect to see race routes. If you kno whne and where a race was raced last year, then zoom to the approzimate area ad set filters such as runing, racing and custom dates and you get to see if anyone has logged it with their garmin.

I found one 10 k race as below but did not now what date it was run last year so you may be able to search more accurately.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4651154

• Options

Birch - That is just too lovely.  Really.  I trust you'll be telling your daughter that you've posted it on this site?  Teenagers love public displays of affection from their parents, right?

MM - I remember it well.  I may have 'glided' past you, and even reached the end before you.  But, as I recall, you somehow contrived to secure the quicker finish time on the day.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    knight rider wrote (see)

Thanks for all the positive comments, feeling a lot better physically and mentally today.
    That what does not kill you can only make you stronger”.

Sending out good vibes to all of you doing VLM this Sunday - do your best folks, no matter what!

Wise words KR.  Didn't a rapper once say that? image   As long as you couldn't give any more on the day then you cannot have any regrets.  Good that you are in better spirits now.

JR - Don't start to worry.  Nerves are good, and when you hit the expo they will increase, but no need to worry.  Just trust in your training and you will be ok.  Worrying can have an adverse affect on you over the next few days and can result in you changing targets/strategy last minute.

MsE - Thanks for the kind words.  Mrs H laughed.  When we look after our nephews she can rarely tell the difference between me and a 5 yr old so thinks that I am on their wavelength image.

BOTF - I hope that you are enjoying the adventure of new places to run...even though it is under difficult circumstances.

• Options
    What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

(OK so I looked it up. At least I knew it was Nietzsche.)
  • Options
    Day 1 of the REAL taper madness. First of the Expo.

Today's the day for cutting toenails really really short. Just shy of drawing blood. Gives them a couple of days to the race to recover from the shock.
  • Options

Blimey, weather forecast is, its getting hotter for Sunday:

18 Degrees, Mostly Sunny with 0% chance of Rain (and little or no wind)

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/UKXX0085?dayNum=4

Lovely.

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Steve, that means it will snow on Sunday, don't worry.
  • Options
    Metcheck says 8 degrees, Steve - and I think the beeb says 15 - at least nobody's saying 21.

Yet.

• Options
    DomF wrote (see)
    Steve, that means it will snow on Sunday, don't worry.

I'm not worrying, I love the heat! 

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Steve in that case you can run for me if it's hot, I conk out over 15 degrees.

Beeb was saying 19C on TV this morning. They could still get it wrong day before, out of our hands...

Snotty guy next to me for the second day, more sneezes around the office. I am First Defencing like mad. Taper hypochondria is great.

4 miles last night, meant to do some 400s on the shale track in the park, but it must have had 60 people on it! Club night probably. Settled for 4 easy with 1 at MP and a few bursts.

Last run for me today other than carb blast on Friday. 4 miles easy with a couple of strides.

Total for week pre marathon = 15 miles...

• Options

Just popping in to say good luck to everyone for Sunday.

I’m on holiday in Devon this week so not much time to follow the thread.  It’s hilly here.  10m at marathon effort on Sunday was 7:49 pace in the midday sun!  5m at 7:09 last night was better.  Another 5 miler planned for Thursday and then that’ sit. 

Travelling back on Saturday so will be a bit tight to try to make Expo.

Sorry to hear Brighton didn’t go to plan, KR.  Sometimes it is hard to find an explanation for these things.  A chastening and timely reminder to the rest of us ahead on Sunday.

Touching poems from Birch and MsE.

Not clear on my own post race arrangements yet but will pop into Chandos if I can.

Go for it!

• Options

I've just been doing a marathon checklist for myself, see below, in case anyone else needs one (or is forgetful like me) probably a few bits missing so point them out if spotted.

Before (Wed - Sat)
    Cut Toenails
    Decide on Carbo Load and get ingredients if required
    Visit Expo (Take Passport/ID to pick up number)
    Pace Bands if required
    Number pinned on to Race Jersey
    Timing chip fitted to Shoes
    Hot weather outfit chosen and laid out
    Cold weather outfit chosen and laid out
    Outfit to wear to start chosen and laid out
    A,B,C Targets/Pace decided
    Halfway Target decided
    Setup & Charge Garmin (No Autopause, Manual/Auto Lap)
    Find old jumper to wear race morning/chuck away
    Find out position of Friends/Family/Charity on course
    Provide above with approx details of when passing them
    Decide on Fuelling, set aside Gels and Gel Belt
    Breakfast chosen and bought if not in house
    Hat?
    Sunglasses?
    Gloves?
    Suncream?
    HRM belt?
    Meeting place for after decided and mentioned to interested parties

Mara Day
    Breakfast
    Decide on Running Gear based on weather
    Travel Itinerary to start/Alternate Itinerary to start
    Apply Vaseline
    Apply Suncream
    Run
    Enjoy

After
    Compression Socks
    Energy Drink
    Food/Energy Bar
    Directions to post race Do/Chandos
    Wet Wipes
    Deodorant
    Hat
    Change of Shoes/Socks or Flip Flops
    Underwear
    Spare shorts
    Jeans
    T-Shirt
    Jacket
    Money
    Travelcard
    Blister Treatment (Compeed, Savlon etc)

• Options

Good list Steve - 

I'm getting very excited for you all now guys.....so close I can taste it.

Hope everyone gets what they're after. Looking forward to the mega list of reports.  Whoever's fist to get their report in gets a bonus prize of running an extra 3 miles at MP on Monday morning

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Just read back and found your report KR - as they say, on a cold day you run for pace, on a hot day you run for place and given your training and effort I would bet you lost far less time in the heat that most others.  On a colder day you will really cane it.

As for toenails, if they are loose it will soon be decision time - pull them off, or cut the remaining bits short and secure with sellotape or gaffer tape on race day?

Hopeless race buildup for me - down in London working till like a dog, back north, off to Notts today in the camper van image (tried to explain to MrsP that this isn't how Haile prepares for big races....) then down south Friday, Expo Saturday, and wake up tired again on Sunday.  Not optimistic, but looking forward to eating monutains of stodge.

Have a good last few days folks, don't go near anyone ill

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

It's a good job that you don't need to be running this week Steve with the length of that list.  image

My list at the moment only comprises of:

Race Kit  (just decide which pair of socks feels the most comfortable)
    Vasaline
    Face paint/Sponges (too apply said paint)
    Hoodie/Tracksters for after
    Crisps/drink for after
    Food for Saturday (as not local)

I think I might need to pad it out a bit tonight!!!

• Options
    Travel

inflatable pillow
    book
    RW magazine
    wallet
    train ticket
    race instructions
    food
    drinks
    umbrella
    Phone

Expo

Photo ID
    registration form
    gels to drop off
    London A-Z

Overnight

PJ
    porridge
    toothbrush
    toothpaste
    Shaver
    towel

Blackheath

race no
    chip
    safety pins
    marker pen (for personal info on rear of race no)
    vaseline
    suncream
    loo roll. Portaloos run out quickly.
    bin bag to wear at the start
    tesco bag to sit on whilst waiting in the starting pens
    flapjack - I eat a piece at the start
    wide mouth drink bottle (to pee in discreetly when in the starting pens)
    gels to carry
    Pace band (from Lucozade stand at the Expo, or at Blackheath if they've not run out)

Race

Trainers
    socks
    vest
    shorts
    garmin
    HR strap
    race belt

Finish

Face cloth (for a quick wash-down)
    Fruit
    Malt loaf