Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Just received email regarding entry for Brighton Mara next year, £47.50image for entry, is that the standard for the big city marathons?
  • Options
    Ex-pat Scot wrote (see)

Philip / Dom half in 1:28:30 is perfect (and you should feel like you're holding back a little) next milestone is getting to 20 in 2:16 (just under) That gives you a 44 min 10k to finish.

Think about it. Do you want 2:58:00 +/- 1:30 or do you want 2:57:00 +/- 4:00?

XPS, great words and numbers, very useful indeed. To be perfectly honest, I would take either, if the worse that will happen is 2:57 + 4 than 3:01 will suit me. The aim is to secure sub 3:15 and get a GFA for the next two years. That was the plan all along, then suddenly 3:00 has cropped up as a possibility and if I was honest with myself I would put it at 50/50. I can get to 20 in 2:16 dead (if the weather is fine: too hot and all bets are off) but the last 6 are the unknown factor. So long as I don't mess up big time it will give me a good mark for this year and something to build on for next year. Sub 3 would be nice, but sub 3 in London 2012 would also be nice: if I sub 3 this year I need some other target and 2:55 doesn't have the same ring.

Martin and DOMF, I hope I have learnt the fast start lesson, but I defend my 82:15: 6:16 avergae pace has to beat 6:30 even pace. The controlled part of the 20 I did had no mile faster than 6:28 and ignoring hills slower than about 7:04. The AVIT was only from 17 to 20 with a 6:18 thrown in.

• Options

... so what's everyone planning to eat on Thursday, is it important to start the carbo-loading earnest?

It'd be interesting to see what those with experience have planned!

• Options

excellent news SBD you must be delighted.

@simonx98 -  pretzels with 72.8g of carbs per 100g are my choice for topping up the carbs. 

quick question for the P&D acolytes on here. - i have until now followed RW plans but am moving on to P&D from this point onwards.  i was looking at the 55-70 miles per week plan but there is precious little on how this reflects on race times - would the 55-70 be appropriate for aiming at getting a GFA for VLM 2012 in an autumn mara?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

SBD - excellent news.  And good race plan . . .

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Fred Member

Blue:

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    Race Jase - 736 - Blue start.
    SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue start
    Ormeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.

Red FGFA:
    XPS Red FGFA start (31xxx) - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 - FGFA start, Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Red FGFA, Blue vest with smiley clown (RTCW)
    RFJ - 31356 Red FGFA Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff

Green:
    CC2 Speedy Goth - Green GFA (can't remember my number!)
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plaits.

Chandos

CC2 Speedy Goth - from about 1.30pm/2pm ish
    XPS - from about 1pm. Red hair and will still be red-faced. Hopefully stood with Ant and CC2!
    Minni - about 2 ish. Will be wearing club colours as per photo. Or my purple club hoodie. 5'1" (ie shorter than MsE)
    AfE - from about 2pm til whenever! No hair, fat.
    MsE - 2pm (or 2.30 - Chinese dentist time as MrE would joke!) onwards. 5'2.5" (ie short). Chinese. Bandy legs. Has been mistaken for a Gay Bloke.
    Ant - from 1.15/1.30ish.
    MartinH - hopefully (if I make it) from 1.30ish. Will still be at least faintly purple (depending on rain/heat). Also wearing Ashby 20 hoodie.
    Race Jase - probably from 2:30 onwards providing I've got rid of family. I may even have to bring some of them. I'll be wearing sports gear, look a bit flushed and probably have a medal around my neck
    SteveC1975 - Will be there at some point, I will be the one looking knackered
    SBD - hopefully from 2pm - may have ankle in ice bucket.
    Ormeski - be there shortly after shower, massage and feed at charity reception. 2pm ish maybe. Will look for mildly purple man!
    Sal - I will aim to get there for 2 ish but depends on meeting up with mates, I will also be going for a massage asap at the chartiry reception first.
    RFJ - Walking hopefully..... balding badly / goatee about 1330/1400 all being well

• Options
    dm1974 - don't think you can get a GFA for 2012 in an autumn mara any more. Think the cut off is July some time.
  • Options

ah that would be a bit of a problem then! ballot it is then.

• Options
    Ex-pat Scot wrote (see)
     Do you want 2:58:00 +/- 1:30 or do you want 2:57:00 +/- 4:00?

Best advice given to Sub-3 hopefuls ever.

Great news SBD, you can stop worrying and enjoy yourself now.

I did 5m on Tueday incl one @ MP, then m thids morning. Another easy 4-5m plannmed for tomorrow and that's it, Finished. Flying to England at 16.05 tomorrow.

I have a massage booked for 10 a.m. tomorrow morning, and good job too, because I have a unidentified ache down the outside of my left calf, sometimes halfway down, at others, near the ankle, at still others, near the knee. It does not affect walking or running and if I had no VLM in four bloody days' time, I would probably disregard it completely. But, as it is, I'm sweating a bit...

Come on, Hilda and Your Magic Hands, sort me out and put my mind at rest!

Oh, yes, I'm now on holiday til 25th April. Get in.

• Options
    efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭

Fred Member

Blue:

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).

Red FGFA:
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    RFJ - 31356 Red FGFA Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff                    Efc-Col-32720 Red FGFA, red Wallasey ac vest possibly blue shorts.

Green:
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plaits.

Chandos

XPS - from about 1pm. Red hair and will still be red-faced. Hopefully stood with Ant and CC2!
    Minni - about 2 ish. Will be wearing club colours as per photo. Or my purple club hoodie. 5'1" (ie shorter than MsE)
    MsE - 2pm (or 2.30 - Chinese dentist time as MrE would joke!) onwards. 5'2.5" (ie short). Chinese. Bandy legs. Has been mistaken for a Gay Bloke.
    Ant - from 1.15/1.30ish.
    MartinH - hopefully (if I make it) from 1.30ish. Will still be at least faintly purple (depending on rain/heat). Also wearing Ashby 20 hoodie.
    Race Jase - probably from 2:30 onwards providing I've got rid of family. I may even have to bring some of them. I'll be wearing sports gear, look a bit flushed and probably have a medal around my neck
    Ormeski - be there shortly after shower, massage and feed at charity reception. 2pm ish maybe. Will look for mildly purple man!
    Sal - I will aim to get there for 2 ish but depends on meeting up with mates, I will also be going for a massage asap at the chartiry reception first.
    RFJ - Walking hopefully..... balding badly / goatee about 1330                                                                       Efc-Col 2.00 ish older than you lot,(just) and probably in more pain too!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of 1:35 first half then see what happens- usually go off to quick and pay later. Haven't run at all this week so struggling to keep my weight steady.

Temperature wise anything below 20 is OK with me.image

• Options
    efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭
    oops messed that up image can some more intelegent person fix the above. thanks
  • Options
    efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭

and my spelling

oh forgot to mention great news SBD

• Options
    Barry B wrote (see)
    Just received email regarding entry for Brighton Mara next year, £47.50image for entry, is that the standard for the big city marathons?
    I think it's more representative than London Marathon which is extremely cheap. Boston costs from $130 for US residents or $185 for non-residents, whilst New York costs $196 for Americans, or $281 for foreigners, and add a non-refundable $11 just for processing the entry!
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

PMJ - Agree that your 82.15 half was better than an even paced 85.00.  I did exactly the same in my first HM years ago, going through 3 miles in under 18 minutes (I was aiming for 1.45) image.  Was pleased to finish with an 87.23 but hated the last 5 miles.  However, you cannot pace like that in the marathon and will lose way more than you gain at the beginning.

Simon - 3 rounds of extra thick toast eaten already.  2 x bagels for lunch, a malt loaf, bananas & apples and 2 x cereal bars plus a pasta meal tonight.  Also, remember that drinks count as carbs as well, so a carton of cherry juice and 2 x sports drinks adds another 160g of carbs.

Hope that Hilda works her magic Ant.  Have a good flight and will probably see you Sunday.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Fred Member

Blue:

Red FGFA:
    RFJ - 31356 Red FGFA Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff                    Efc-Col-32720 Red FGFA, red Wallasey ac vest possibly blue shorts.

Green:

Chandos

Ant - from 1.15/1.30ish.
    RFJ - Walking hopefully..... balding badly / goatee about 1330
    Efc-Col 2.00 ish older than you lot,(just) and probably in more pain too!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Can I apply for the position of Fred Admin?  I love making lists neat and tidy image
  • Options
    Martin H wrote (see)

PMJ - Agree that your 82.15 half was better than an even paced 85.00.  I did exactly the same in my first HM years ago, going through 3 miles in under 18 minutes (I was aiming for 1.45) image.  Was pleased to finish with an 87.23 but hated the last 5 miles.  However, you cannot pace like that in the marathon and will lose way more than you gain at the beginning.

No, Martin, your's has to be worse surely image ! I was just 3 minutes under plan and my 4 miles in 24 was only 30 seconds faster per mile than planned. But yes, definitely no plan to pace the marathon like that: any AVIT will be kept until 20 miles is behind me.

Anyone got any idea why we use minutes for half marathons as soon as it is sub 90: just look at Martin above, target 1:45, achieved 87:23. (Apologies to anyone yet to break 1:30, it will come to you soon.)

• Options

Is there an online tracking facility for Sunday, do you know?

• Options

thanks Martin & dm1974 - it's good to see what others are eating, I won't be measuring my intake,I  probably haven't even weighed myself this millennium, gives me something to improve on next time image

Porridge and banana for breakfast for me, admittedly with milk not water since my wife was up before me and making it and I was too lazy to get up/ ask not to do mine - separate porridge pans tomorrow!

• Options
    SBD: great news that you will be doing VLM

As to the tracking facility question, there is no app this year like last years one, however the VLM website will give live updates when you cross the mats at 5K intervals
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Minni - just as I was thinking the list needed organising into tidy groups, hey presto, you did it!

Nerves kicking in now. Gulp. Found the Expo really dull yesterday. Think my children maaaay have found it slightly more dull than me. Have number and am ready to go!
  • Options
    Thanks Steve.  I can't see any mention of the 5k live updates on the VLM site, but I suppose that will appear after kick-off on Sunday?
  • Options
    the expo is annoying - making you to register in person is just a cheap way to force a commercial opportunity .. that said, I did at least pick up a leaflet about a London kilo-marathon in October, half-term I think but I might enter anyway and just lose the place if we have plans.
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

PMJ - I admit I had no idea of what I was doing at that time.  It was a charity run and I missed the first two mile markers.  When I saw number 3 I s**t myself and slowed down.  Have no idea about the use of minutes instead of hours.  I always used to use hours until I joined this thread.

TAR - I think that there is an addidas tracking facility again but it only fires up 24 hours before the race.  Details are at the expo I believe.

Simon - If you are not doing it scientifically (I am just too obsessive) then just a bit more than you would usually eat but not a massive amount after Saturday lunchtime as you want it all to have digested.

I never spend more than 45 mins at the expo myself.  Register as quick as possible, check out a couple of the cheap clothing stalls, get pace bands and then out of there.

• Options
    Did anyone see any cheap trainers on sale at the Expo? I'm looking to get two pairs of day-to-day shoes, Wave Precision/Rider or similar, and one pair of lightweight, sexy ones - those New Balance orange ones look good.
  • Options
    Martin - nice carbo-stacking, like your style! I've got a similar looking pile to chomp through in the next 3 days!
  • Options
    I'm off to the expo later today (just the small matter of a bus journey, train journey, tube journey and train journey to my accommodation, then a train and 2 DLRs to ExCel to get through first). I'm hoping there'll be some nicely priced shoes as most of my older pairs are nearing death. I'm taking one particularly knackered pair to London to run 2 miles in on Friday. Then they're going in the bin!

I will struggle to get much over 400g carbs in per day without totally overdoing the calories. Don't want to gain weight so I'm sticking with the 400 - 450g and fueling during the marathon with gels. (PS, I only weigh 51.5kg so only need 515g per day max anyway in the carb load).

I've planned out my meals and snacks and counted up the carbs, protein, fat and overall calories. I actually come up a bit low on protein as well somehow, which is fine for the next three days but maybe something I should think about more in day to day life. I did deliberately 'up' the protein for 4 days last week, but it was bliddy expensive1
  • Options
    Ant
    apparently Sweatshop have a ton of "trial" shoes. The ones where people have taken them back under the 30-day returns policy. Tons yesterday morning; probably not too many left by Saturday afternoon though
  • Options
    Good point XPS. Have just sent a text to my former Sweatshop boss (he moved to a different store) in the hopes that he's working the Expo again this year. Subtle (ish) hint dropped that any cheap Brooks Adrenalines in a 5.5 need to somehow be kept hidden away until my arrival image