Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭

Birch  great poem and a well described account of the ups and downs of a runner.

XPS another good account of marathon experience's and worth taking note.

Steve good list there, a few things i may have missed if not for you ,thanks...

total miles for me since Sundays 12miles  is 5.2m have got a slight thigh strain so have a compression bandage on. Of all places i think i tweaked it at work late Monday cotton wool time now...

Dom am with you on the hot weather running, have to be even more careful with pace in the heat...

Expo Friday lunch time for me, keep well everyone...

• Options

Just been for massage, brilliant! Getting lots of water into the system this avo now,

Thnak lists SteveC and EpS, printing them off now anddefo a couple of things I would've no doubt forgotten!

Go team 'Runners World.co.uk > Forums > Spring Marathon > Sub 3h 15'! (working on making that snappier)

• Options

I feel like a bit of a glory hunter posting here at this late stage!

My PB is 3:19 but with some good training behind me (22m in 2:43 and 20m in 2:26 four days apart) I was confident of breaking 3:10

This last few weeks have been a bit disruptive though so I'm now revising my target to 3:15, or at least to beat my PB!

Expo tonight then supermarket for 2 kilos of pasta!

Best of luck to everyone - hope you achieve your targets!

• Options

Afternoon all,

Just popping by again to wish everyone good luck on sunday if you're due an outing at "The Big One"..... Go easy and watch out for the weather - if if holds as it is today then it could be a very pleasant day...

KR - I saw your race report from Brighton - tough day at the office, sorry it didn't go to plan - I have a few mates down in Brighton who said that it was a scorcher of a day. There will be plenty more - are you on the Abingdon train?

Finally another bit of shamless promotion from me - just posted my latest blog entry - Sleep Deprivation and Profiteroles...

• Options

I am hoping to get around London in under 3.15 which would be a PB for me by a huge margin considering I completed Edinburgh Marathon (09) in 3hrs 41m which was my first. I have been training harder this time around and have already completed a couple of races this year which I hope puts me on course to do a sub 3.15.

Liverpool Half Marathon 27th Mar 11 - 1hr 24min (previous 1hr 30m - 2010)

Trimpell 20 6th Mar 11 - 2hr 21m (first timer)

I have a garmin 310 and a pacing band for 3.15 (7m 26sec miles) but I cannot seem to keep my pace consistant. I mile I'm running 6.50 then the next I'm running 7.10 which wears me out quicker.

I'm worried about the slow start at London (blue start). Any advice welcome on how to try and stick to the 7.20 pace.

Cheers image

Neil

• Options

Neil - just go with flow at the start and go at the easy pace. Don't try and battle through, round people etc. as you'll unnecessarily stress yourself. After a couple of miles the field has spread considerably and you'll have plenty of room to settle into your goal pace (for 24+ miles!).

I see the expo was opened by Will Young, all the big stars! I'm heading there Friday afternoon.

Met office weather page - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/events/london-marathon

• Options

I ran down the Mall and round Birdcage walk at lunchtime on my way to and from a race. I think I spotted a few Kenyans surveying the finish: tall skinny guys who had trouble standing upright in the slight breeze we had today, and wearing leggings and tops and hats and looking cold and miserable.

Week is going well:

Monday 7.5 miles easy
    Tuesday 5.5 easy at lunch, 9 in the evening on the track: 1500 m reps (split into bits) at 5 m/m pace
    Wednesday lunch 5 miles easy, 2.3 mile race at 6 m/m. 5 mile easy back

So 34 miles so far this week, last long one tomorow (turn at 10.5 miles so at least 21) and then I can start to taper.

In the taper, what are the magic percentages for the weeks total and what is it a percent of, average week or longest week, and does the percentage for the last week incldue the marathon or not?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Neil, presumably you will be in pen 1 or 2 aiming for 3:15, so from blue you should take no more than 30 secs to be over the line, and you will be able to be on pace virtually from the word go.  Anyway, don't get  too hung up on pace - it will vary a bit, particularly in the opening miles down to the merging of blue & red at around 3 miles. Just don't get too carried away - your half mara suggests you are well capable of your goal. 
  • Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    PMJ - I've done 85%, 50%, 33% of average weekly mileage. The 33% better not include the marathon or I'd have to do some negative miles that week.

Neil - Birch is correct, I was on blue the other year and it was quick to get across the start from the front pens, and easy to get near the front.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    The Accidental Runner wrote (see)

Birch - That is just too lovely.  Really.  I trust you'll be telling your daughter that you've posted it on this site?  Teenagers love public displays of affection from their parents, right?

TAR - she's not even seen the original, let alone that it's posted on here . . . .
  • Options
    DomF wrote (see)
    PMJ - I've done 85%, 50%, 33% of average weekly mileage. The 33% better not include the marathon or I'd have to do some negative miles that week.
    DOMF, thanks for the numbers and good luck on Sunday: I will be rooting for you: maybe a little selfishly as I reckon my training follows yours pretty closely and if you get a good run then it will be a confidence boost for me as well.
  • Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Thanks PMJ. Going to be interesting, if it's not too hot will be giving sub 3 a good go, but it may end badly, that's very close to the edge for me. Racing 26 is unknown territory! Just got to believe.

I think you've done a fair few more miles too, should stand you in good stead in a few weeks.

• Options
    DomF wrote (see)
    Thanks PMJ. Going to be interesting, if it's not too hot will be giving sub 3 a good go, but it may end badly, that's very close to the edge for me. Racing 26 is unknown territory! Just got to believe. I think you've done a fair few more miles too, should stand you in good stead in a few weeks.

What is your schedule?

I am currently thinking of running 6:45 to halfway (1:28:25) and then seeing how close I can carry on at that pace to 20, but give myslef a 5 second break so 13 to 20 at  6:50 so I am at 20 in 2:14:49 (I did a 20 miler in 2:16 on a hilly course with plenty to spare) and then from 20 to 26 I have a shade over 45 minutes which is 7:15 pace or 7:00, 7:05, 7:10, 7:15, 7:20, 7:25 and 7:30 for 2:59:34.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    PMJ - That sounds like a very sensible plan and should work well.  All you have to do is hold your speed back in the first half to achieve it (ie do totally the opposite to your recent HM pacing) image
  • Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Almost identical plan, halfway in 1:28 or so, allowing for some slowing in the second half, but not as scientifically paced as yours, 5 seconds a mile, love it!

• Options
    Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    Pmj if your still thinking about mile splits at that point you haven't been trying hard enough. It should be your heart that's doing the running from 20.
  • Options
    Birch wrote (see)
    Neil, presumably you will be in pen 1 or 2 aiming for 3:15, so from blue you should take no more than 30 secs to be over the line, and you will be able to be on pace virtually from the word go.  Anyway, don't get  too hung up on pace - it will vary a bit, particularly in the opening miles down to the merging of blue & red at around 3 miles. Just don't get too carried away - your half mara suggests you are well capable of your goal. 

Agreed (in theory)- I was allocated pen 2 last year off the blue start with a thread 3:10 train. It took us exactly a minute to cross the line. But... The pens were not well policed so we did have a lot of stop start at the beginning.

My only advice is get in to the pens early and try to keep warm then you will be ok, it thins out a bit after about 3-4 miles if you start up there.

Good luck!

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    ha ha, yes, your first mile should NOT start with 5 this time.
  • Options
    Philip / Dom

half in 1:28:30 is perfect (and you should feel like you're holding back a little)
    next milestone is getting to 20 in 2:16 (just under)
    That gives you a 43 min 10k to finish.

getting to 20 in 2:16:xx means a 43:00 final 10k, which is quite hard.
    Getting to 20 in 2:17:xx means a 42:00 final 10k which is really tough.

Don't make the mistake of setting off too fast, and thinking that "fresh at halfway" gives you licence to get to 20 in ANYTHING less than 2:15 (6'45 pace).

Do you really want that first "sub 3"? Do you? The temptation is great to push on a little harder when feeling fresh, but I'd urge the 88:30 / 2:15:xx split discipline to be sure.
    If you're feeling fruity at 20 @ 2:15:xx then be my guest and rev the engine to the max. That last 10k could well blast away in 41. However if you've taken 2 mins too quick off the 20m split then you'll lose double that in the last 10k...
    Think about it.

Do you want 2:58:00 +/- 1:30 or do you want 2:57:00 +/- 4:00?
  • Options
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

9 miles at 7:14 MP in East La Loma Park, Modesto today. It was a rather warm 70F when I set out, and still 67F when I finished as the sun set. This is the location of one of the potential races I've found for the weekend. Not sure what the course will be, but the main track through the park is only about 4 runners wide and it would have to be an out and back course which could be interesting.

BOTF, I use garmin connect to see race routes. If you kno whne and where a race was raced last year, then zoom to the approzimate area ad set filters such as runing, racing and custom dates and you get to see if anyone has logged it with their garmin.

I found one 10 k race as below but did not now what date it was run last year so you may be able to search more accurately.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4651154

Ohh, good find PMJ - didn't occur to me to try that. That route is exactly what I did for my final 6 miles - I did 3 miles out and back in the other direction first. Not sure where they get the 600+ feet of climbing though - it's almost completely flat apart from a small incline up to the turnaround point as the path climbs up to the highway. I'd be amazed if there was more than 50 feet up & down in the whole course. Could be interesting on the way back though - the path is basically a cycle track with a dotted line down the middle, and it's not much more than a car width wide, and you get guys on road bikes flying down it. Lets hope the slower runners pay attention to the runners coming back the other way else it could be an obstacle course.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Interesting course BOTF.

I may have to rejoin the taper madness as the physio has signed me off for Sunday.  Of course he won't let me run before then but he has every confidence that I'll remember how to run once I cross the lineimage  So not really sure about pacing but will probably plan to set off at 2:59 pace (so 1:28:30 first half).  If this is looking unrealistic after a few miles then it'll be a 3:15 GFA or 3:30 "enjoy the day".

So FGFA Pen 1 - how does this work in terms of timing?  Do you have be in there at 9:25 or can you hop in at 9:40?

• Options
    Great news SBD, rest it out then one big effort come Sunday, you'll beast it! Can you put any helpful strapping in place just to give you support/confidence throughout the race?
  • Options

Great news SBD

Starting to get nervous/excited for everyone now.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Cheers Scooby/Ormeski - we were going to think about strapping on friday but I'd be mentally happy with no-straping as there is no stability issue.

Time to resurrect the all important list:

Fred Member
    Race Jase - 736 - Blue start.
    SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue startOrmeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.

XPS Red FGFA start (31xxx) - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 - FGFA start, Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).SBD - 33319 - Red FGFA, Blue vest with smiley clown (RTCW)

CC2 Speedy Goth - Green GFA (can't remember my number!)
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace

Chandos

CC2 Speedy Goth - from about 1.30pm/2pm ish
    XPS - from about 1pm. Red hair and will still be red-faced. Hopefully stood with Ant and CC2!
    Minni - about 2 ish. Will be wearing club colours as per photo. Or my purple club hoodie. 5'1" (ie shorter than MsE)
    AfE - from about 2pm til whenever! No hair, fat.
    MsE - 2pm (or 2.30 - Chinese dentist time as MrE would joke!) onwards. 5'2.5" (ie short). Chinese. Bandy legs. Has been mistaken for a Gay Bloke.
    Ant - from 1.15/1.30ish.
    MartinH - hopefully (if I make it) from 1.30ish. Will still be at least faintly purple (depending on rain/heat). Also wearing Ashby 20 hoodie.
    Race Jase - probably from 2:30 onwards providing I've got rid of family. I may even have to bring some of them. I'll be wearing sports gear, look a bit flushed and probably have a medal around my neck
    SteveC1975 - Will be there at some point, I will be the one looking knackeredSBD - hopefully from 2pm - may have ankle in ice bucket.
    Ormeski - be there shortly after shower, massage and feed at charity reception. 2pm ish maybe. Will look for mildly purple man!
    Sal - I will aim to get there for 2 ish but depends on meeting up with mates, I will also be going for a massage asap at the chartiry reception first.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Great news, SBD!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Can somebody please add me to the list?

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Fred Member

Blue:

MsE - 17454 - blue start in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue start
    Ormeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.

Red FGFA:
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Red FGFA, Blue vest with smiley clown (RTCW)

Green:
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plaits.

Chandos

XPS - from about 1pm. Red hair and will still be red-faced. Hopefully stood with Ant and CC2!
    Minni - about 2 ish. Will be wearing club colours as per photo. Or my purple club hoodie. 5'1" (ie shorter than MsE)
    MsE - 2pm (or 2.30 - Chinese dentist time as MrE would joke!) onwards. 5'2.5" (ie short). Chinese. Bandy legs. Has been mistaken for a Gay Bloke.
    Ant - from 1.15/1.30ish.
    MartinH - hopefully (if I make it) from 1.30ish. Will still be at least faintly purple (depending on rain/heat). Also wearing Ashby 20 hoodie.
    Race Jase - probably from 2:30 onwards providing I've got rid of family. I may even have to bring some of them. I'll be wearing sports gear, look a bit flushed and probably have a medal around my neck
    SteveC1975 - Will be there at some point, I will be the one looking knackeredSBD - hopefully from 2pm - may have ankle in ice bucket.
    Ormeski - be there shortly after shower, massage and feed at charity reception. 2pm ish maybe. Will look for mildly purple man!
    Sal - I will aim to get there for 2 ish but depends on meeting up with mates, I will also be going for a massage asap at the chartiry reception first.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

SBD - Great news.  Fingers crossed it goes well on the day.  I've never started on the FGFA start but assuming you can get into the pen slightly later than the others.  However, best to be in there by 9.30 so you can start where you want to. Alot of good advice XPS.  Makes alot of sense re the pacing.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good reformatting Minni - just reformating my Chandos entry ...

Fred Member

Blue:

SteveC1975 - 23156 - Blue start
    Ormeski - 17655 - Blue start. Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.

Red FGFA:
    MartinH - 32944 - FGFA Red start, Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Red FGFA, Blue vest with smiley clown (RTCW)

Green:
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow).  Blonde plaits.

Chandos

Ant - from 1.15/1.30ish.
    SteveC1975 - Will be there at some point, I will be the one looking knackered
    SBD - hopefully from 2pm - may have ankle in ice bucket.

• Options
    SBD - Great news fella, just go for it , nothing to lose as you thought you would n't  be running.