Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - defo warm, good fitness adaptations to be had if we can get through it without losing too much training. Big session that, reminds me of my long sessions of 3 min reps,  do them off short rests too. 12m tital volume is decent, so is backing it up with 12m tomorrow. That could be a heavy legged affair. Lewis is obviously giving you a few more miles this time.

Jools - thats a busy week of commutes.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes Lewis and I were chatting on this yesterday. He is pushing out the super adaption from this sort of training to motivate people to get things done, as safely as possible. We were saying, what you need is to crack on and hope to time it with a race, where randomly the temps drop 10c for race day. 

This morning was a heavy legged affair, not helped by going out at 8.30 to avoid the worst weather. We are looking at increasing my warm ups to sessions and doing strides before each session and adding a couple of miles to the mlr so it peaks out at 15. In turn that adds nearly 5m a week on without pushing things too far, so based on average miles that's an 8-10% increase. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the race tonight TR it's gonna be hot but hopefully breeze will cool you a bit 👍

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - yes defo worth trying to get some adaptations out of this heat. Ideally itd end 2 wks before race day.  I like that approach from lewis, a bit more volume to the sessions and a 15m mlr, thats an approx 2 hr midweek run.

OO - cheers

Brighton prom 10k last night. Bit too much of a rush to make trains each way after work and after the race really. Was hoping for a low 37 after the 1.22 10 days ago, but didnt feel fresh enough. Maybe the weekends 20m and turbo combo, or maybe the rushing about to make the race. Anyway a solid 37.46 (6.04, 03, 09, 04, 03, 00 and 5.43 for the extras), so decent paced. First 1/2 was into a breeze which helped temps, 2nd 1/2 was like someone had turned the oven on.......another sub3 indicator, but really need to get the marathon training going in earnest now.

• Options
    Hi All, apologies for the absence. I've been out in Finland competing in the World Masters, then came home and immediately had two wisdom teeth out (on Tuesday). The Champs were great. Lower numbers for a Worlds due to Covid restrictions/reluctance to travel but that meant I actually bagged an individual bronze medal in the 10k. You can only beat them if they turn up!

My first race was the 5000m in 31 degrees. Not what I had anticipated when I entered a championships in Finland. I was in no-man's land, too far behind the girl ahead, but far enough ahead of the one behind. 18.50 and 5th place, and some horrific sunburn. Then, as usual, I got an infected insect bite and wasted most of a day obtaining antibiotics. This is harder post Brexit! That settled and the weather cooled off a few degrees for the 10k. 26 felt a lot more reasonable than 31. I had a real battle with an Irish girl in the same category but put 17 seconds into her on the last stretch for 38.56 and the bronze medal.

The half marathon was less than 42 hours later, but at least it was another couple of degrees cooler. 23 - 25 over the course of the morning, and some welcome cloud. I aimed for MP and only picked it up right at the end. 1.26.36 I think it was. We got a team silver medal so it was worth putting my legs through it. 

Now I'm on an enforced rest week. Two wisdom teeth removed to make space for my teeth to move (I've had invisalign braces since October but only now did they decide my wisdom teeth were in the way!). I couldn't have stitches in the wounds because my gag reflex is so severe, so I just have to stay pretty still until they heal. The left one looks to be healing well, but the right one is still a huge hole, it hurts and I have a disgusting taste in my mouth. I'm on a cold liquid diet (so bascially Huel and yoghurt) until that hole closes up. Oh, and salt water mouthwash. Joys. 

Sorry to hear about your friend DT. I'm sure he must be struggling to come to terms with it. 

TR, it sounds like things are finally moving in the right direction for you again. That's so good to see. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - that puts my 10k in its place, a pair of worlds bronze medals. Hope the wounds heal quick.

10m on tired legs tonight, good to get a double digit into the week at last.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Speedy, that sounds like a very successful trip, congrats. I use huel daily, makes life much easier! 

Tr, decent outing and good consistent splits. 

Got a work conference today into tomorrow so was out just after 9 for my session. 2k at hmp off 3 mins then 2 x 1k off 1min at 10kp then 3 mins then 5x400m off 1min at 5kp then 3 mins and 5 x 400 again. 

Hit realistic paces for 2k and 1k but 400m reps were more like 3k pace. Marshaling tomorrow night at local 10k the 12m Sunday as I cut back a bit before Wednesdays 10k. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Good mix of paces in that session DT. Good idea on the 12m tomorrow, my weekend 20m and hard turbo knocked the edge off my Wednesday 10k.

Toasty 20m this morning, 10 easy, 10 approx mp+10%, didnt get out until 9.30 so was a warm one. Cant see it being that warm in early October though.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think in the warmer weather it takes more out of you so 12m is a decent balance when wanting to race well Wednesday. It's full steam ahead after that with the long runs ramping up. 

You seem well placed for July with two mixed pace 20s bagged already. 

Out at 8am and 12m done. Thats 55m for week. 

Marshalled at local 10k last night. Was quite fun particularly as its a hilly course and at 6pm it was pretty warm, so I had no race envy at all! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - im with you on the ramping it up soon.......yes, got a couple of 20s in as im going to miss a couple soon, but also have the recent 1/2 in the bank. Will do some slower long runs, but as i only usually do one session a week, im ok to push a few long runs. I much prefer the long runs that have some effort in them.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've a half 4 weeks today and by then I'll have a 20 and 21 banked. 

I've said to Lewis that I much prefer the mixed pace long. Mentally in particular they are well broken up and don't feel like a straight 20 ish just trudging along. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a decent 10k TR all considered, glad your mara plans are going well.
     That's quite a haul Speedy especially the half on tired legs- top drawer. Don't tell me about wisdom teeth though, mine took 3 weeks to stop hurting and get back to a full night's sleep recently.

I did fountains abbey last weekend- a beautiful parkrun if you are ever around Harrogate. Another near miss with 18:04. Then a track race last night. My best run was 5:05 for the mile. It was a PB but I've only ran 3 previously. Then it's a tough coastal half this Sunday mainly off road. Still not had time to focus on my mara training yet. Must be great to have a coach to guide on these things DT.

• Options
    Oh don't tell me that OO, I've got dry socket on one side and it's doing my head in. I thought getting it irrigated and packed was going to mean I could sleep through (google suggested I would magically feel better), but alas no. It was just really painful by 5.30am though, as opposed to screaming agony as it was all weekend! You're busy with the racing. 5.05 is a great time for the mile. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
     Ibuprofen was my best friend Speedy- 2 before bed every night and a thicker pillow to keep my head slightly elevated. I also used salt water and mouth wash to keep it clean. I had dry socket too- you just have to wait for the gum to grow back naturally. Sorry if I scared you, pleased to say it's almost normal now 🤞

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    36.47 on watch tonight. 30s or so off pb and had to dig deep but pleased enough with sub 37. Also county 10k champs and picked up v40 bronze. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the races OO, good idea re the 1/2, it'll kick start the marathon training.....my 10k was solid enough, some investigation shows it wasnt as quick a course as i expected probably due to the heat and lots of tight turns between the prom and the roads.

DT - nice one, shows you are in good shape despite the holiday with plenty of time to get fitter yet. Well done on the county medal too.

Marathon training has started in earnest, 10m monday, 10m inc 12x3min yday and a 14m commute run home tonight. Couple of eaay days now.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR, pleased to have got amongst medals. Next v40 was 37.20 so had a good margin. 

Sounds like a meaty few days there. 

Otherwise quiet on here. 

I did 6m recovery and spin Thursday then 10m easy Friday and rest Saturday. Today was 17m with 2 x 4m at mp after 7m easy. I got out about 10.30 and it was warmer than it looked and very humid. Was drenched by the end and pretty drained from that much fluid loss.

Managed to badly stub my little toe yesterday morning. The one side of my foot is very colourful. Felt it whilst running today but only in background.  

Big week next week and my first 20 Sunday. Home alone next weekend so planning to get up Saturday morning and get the train to a decent spot to watch the commonwealth games maras. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 10k DT as said not bad at this stage of the campaign. 
    Tough run out at the Coastal run today. 14 miles in headwind- really had to dig deep but finished 39th from 800 and 3rd in cat. Felt like perfect mara training.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - nice, good run today. Same here yday, i didnt get out til 10am and it was hot, luckily i took a litre of fluid with me.

OO - sounds like decent marathon prep.

Im away friday for a week and have a 10m trail race the following weekend, so no long runs for a few weeks meaning i wanted a decent effort yday. So, 5.5m easy, 11m steady (av 7.13 - approx mp +10%), 4.5m easy for 21m. Turbo day today.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a perfect sesh TR. Is it hols or just business taking you away? With the warm up today I managed 16 but defo need a 20 to boost confidence. We're off for another week in the Lakes from tomorrow so hopefully a few easy runs and walks in the hills. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    OO - hols, going to south devon/dorset for a week with the spo and doggy, so same as you plenry of walking. I will run eveyday early in the morning but usually 7 or 8m with 10m tops, not really fair to disappear off for a 20 miler next weekend.........if you can add a mile or 3 via a wu and wd on to a 1/2 its a good session. I did 16m with wu and wd at my 1/2 three weeks ago, and felt ok going up to 20m the following weekend. The wd on battered legs must toughen them up. Im doing IoW 1/2 in about 4 weeks, its a very hilly affair with some trail sections and an 11.30am start so can get hot, all making it tough so it comes in at about mp, the aim is to do a few miles either side.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, I have the same issue with hols. Don't feel it's right I disappear gor more than an hour. 

Enjoy the lakes  oo. I'm not do bothered these days about getting the big runs in to a certain number. 3 marathons in lady 9 months that were well trained for should leave some muscle memory. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - Was thinking today that with 10wks to london Elish Mc isnt going to get a 12 to 15 wk typical build up assuming she still has the commonwealths and/or Europeans.....although she hasnt bern well, so we'll see if she still does London, but if she does she might only get6 to 8 wks o jump up from track majors sharpening.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes she didn't have a great 5k today and I saw her interview afterwards  probably not the best time to try and step up to your first mara. I'm sure she'll be st commonwealth games as that's an easy medal for her and one with credibility. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hi all.  Back from 10 days in Malaysia, although I see you all had weather as warm as we did - just no sea to jump into to cool off!  Legs feel a bit shite after not running whilst I was away (and the 24 hours travelling door-to-door each way can't have helped, either).  Woke at 4am yesterday, but a more respectable 5.45am today, so hopefully I've dealt with the worst of the jetlag now.

Well raced DT and Speedy.  I did wonder if numbers were lower at the World Masters because of Covid.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Gang! Also back from hols. 10 days in Croatia comprising 3 days in Split and 7 on the island of Brac. I wanted to get some running in but it was over 30 degrees by 8.00am so I decided to take the rest period and do work on the injuries instead. Got loads of core and strength work done but after a run on Friday when I got back, it seemed pointless.

Came back with hamstrings as bad as ever and a couple of pounds heavier. Also lost all speed.

Never mind, this was all forecast in the plan which is why I started two weeks earlier, the 30 bagged over the weekend were bonus miles. It seems I have the sort of injury that feels better with continued running, so 10 weeks to try and get into some sort of race shape. Weight scales were good this morning.

Endurance is good, got a 15 done on Saturday after the 8 on Friday, 7 recovery on Sunday and 5 warm steady ones last night. Track tonight to try and get the speed fibres working.

Congrats on the 10k PB DT!
    Brilliant to bag a World bronze, Speedy, well done!! 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Jools, that sounds like a nice holiday! 

Gdawg, looks like you are back and cracking on with purpose. It wasnt quite a pb unfortunately, but still happy enough. 

I had planned to hop on the train saturday morning to watch the marathons. Found a great spot not far from arrival station where each race  will pass 4 times. Then discover yesterday that there's a train strike and therefore no trains at all! So frustrating as I'll now have to drive to outskirts of brum, get a metro and see men finish and ladies at mile 1 and finish. 

E mailed London mara over weekend as I'm not now running London. On basis there's no benefit in deferring as still have to pay again I asked if I could transfer to virtual, just to get something for my entry. Surprisingly they've said I can either defer or if I enter the virtual they'll refund my current entry as a way to get around the non transferable rule. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Big session today, 4 x (3 x 5 min at 6.50, 6.20 then 5.50). Came in a second or two faster on everything except the last 5 min where I was 5.56. 9.6m in the hour averaging 6.16mm. 13m with wu and cd. 

12m mlr tomorrow. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - still maintain that too much s and c type stuff annoys hammies/glutes, mine responded to a few drills - forces mobility/full range of motion.

DT - nice one, big session with 60mins of volume. Backed up by an mlr again too.

Was pretty smoked yday after a bigger week and tough ling run, so only 5m easy yday instead of planned mlr, logistics needed a double commute today, but i upped it a tad to 8 + 6 rather than the planned 5 +5, so i at least got the mlr distance in today. XC race tomorrow.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - its just dawned on my that you were rotatimg 5min blocks, i had assumed a  jog rest between the 5mins. So, rotating mp +30sec, mp, and 30sec under mp. Not sure id be able to hit the fast pace, so good going.