Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - banked it, move on, some days are a slog,  it's a tough 21 in the bank.

Jools - sounds familiar, it's when you push it that you notice the difference to normal. Hope you are 100% soon.

OO - hopefully its on the mend if you are able to run on it already. Be careful in that 10k, might be worth skipping that.

15m tues, 8m yday, 12 today inc 10x5min, supposed to start mp ish and progress a bit. Same time last yr i averaged 6.28 for the 10, today it was 6.33 but i started a bit slow with a 6.48, 39 and then 10 av 6.30, so comparable esp as av and max Hrs were a few beats lower. Slow start might have been due to the pissing rain that kept up all run.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hmm, actually half-benched.  I tweaked my weak ankle yesterday, just before the strides, and thought it was OK, but it started to get sore in the afternoon and evening.  I'll take a couple of days off and cycle out to the Portishead lido, and then on Sunday Mr. Jools and I have a day's kayaking planned, so I'll try running again on Monday.  I need to be a bit careful, as we're off for a week's walking on the SW coast path soon, and I don't want to risk damaging it further before then...!  (And yes, I've got my KT tape and cohesive tape replacements on order so that I can strap it up before I run again, and probably do some precautionary strapping when we're walking.  I might even take poles with me.)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Hope the hammy is OK now, oo?

Well done on the IOW M50 prize  Tr.

Jools, hope the ankle fixes soon.

Got back from hols Wednesday evening. Managed a good stint of easy running. Of the 9 days involved 2 were travel so I ran 6 of the other 7 with runs between 4 and 10m. My wife was quite relaxed about it and as long as I was back and showered to go to beach by 10.30 it was good. Covered 42m whilst there. 10m easy Thursday then 6m yesterday and today. Big mixed pace long today. 

A surprise weigh in last 2 days. I went on hol at 10,7, weighed yesterday at 10,8 then 10,7 this morning. Racing weight is anything from there down to 10,5 so pleased I don't have to spend next 4 weeks clawing myself back from 11st. Not being all inclusive made a big difference. 

Had sports massage today. Had some cupping on my back for first time. Apparently the darker the circle it leaves the less blood flow in that spot so the tighter etc that spot is. See my map below, wife is delighted as the marks last 5-10  days. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    As you might recall Jools I'm a fan of both kayaking and walking with poles (the Nordic variety). Never tried KT tape though....healing vibes 🤞
    You're belting out some good  miles TR 👏
    I've had a ploddy week and a few swims. Feeling better this morning so cranked out an 18:02 parkrun in perfect conditions. Started slow but last mike in 5:40 as the hammy eased and was working well. Its a relief to come through a minor scare.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - hope the ankle comes good, sounds like some good adventures coming up

DT - you look like a game of draught. Good to keep in decent nick whilst you were away.

OO - sounds like you dodged an injury there.

Chugged out a slow 21m today, found it a shock as expected due to a big week and missing a few recent long runs. Probably be my lowest amount of long runs before a mara, but ive raced lots so we'll see what happens on race day. 3 of my running days this week totalled 20m, the other 4 totalled 66m. 4 good days with an easy day between each.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    DT that's plain wierd. Must say I've never heard of cupping, but when you say you're wife is pleased I do wonder...
    I know the feeling TR I'm also having a below par campaign but just going with it. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's what a lot of the swimmers and cyclists had done in the commonwealth games if you saw them in action. 

Oo, I'll be struggling to make the numbers also re long runs. A 20 and 21 so far. 

Big old session today. 6k wu, 4 x 5k at 6.10s off 1k float in 6.50s then 2k cd. Due to my wife wanting to fo a bodypump vlass at 10.30 I didnt get out until midday. By the last 5k set I was really drained and dehydrated so that was slowest averaging 6.17. 19.25m at 6.43mm, pretty tired now. I think there was enough in that to class it as a proper long run box ticked. 

My biggest week ever pending next week Inc 23m next Sunday. Four weeks to Berlin and 5 to Chester. Finally had my England kit through and final instructions. Sounds like a good experience, private in door hotel suite by start with toilets etc and bag storage and our own pen behind eltes then back to the suite for refreshments. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That sounds great DT. Lap that all in, that's not an every day experience.
    Greta work on that session as well. Nice.

Out for another 20 on Saturday, so much better than last week's horror show. Loads of pain and discomfort still but got it done at least and on a tougher course. Seven recovery miles yesterday for a 52 mile week.

Rested yesterday and may do a double today, only need 13 in the next two days to equal my biggest ever month (230).

Physio tomorrow. Can't wait. Looked at my notes from this time last year and the problem had been there for a while. Makes me more satisfied with the London time.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - agreed, the time for review is after the big day.

DT - cracking long run that, 6.10s is 2.40ish pace so defo sharp !

Dawg - we'll done, well toughed out. Not sure pain is good though.

Been a bit under the weather, but of lurgy and dodgy tum, so only 6m Sunday and 5m yday. RHR was normal today and felt ok ish after a few miles so aimed for 10 and felt ok so ended up with 15m.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, hope you feel better soon. Can't be too bad if 15 was possible though.

Hope the physio went went, gdawg and good work on the miles. 

12m mlr yesterday. Supposed to be 12 x 1km today but taking 2 or 3 days off. Since holiday my calf muscles have been ridiculously tight and sore. I think possibly a combination of lots of walking on hols in flip-flops, continued running and no stretching at all and also my back getting really stiff which puts strain on legs. Back us sorted now but yesterday on mlr my left calf twinged a couple of times which I took as a yellow card. Stretched them out quite aggressively yesterday afternoon and evening then went a bit savage with the massage gun last night and woke up and they are both sore. As much as I don't want to take the gas off at this moment, i equally want to make the start line. 

On a plus I weighed at race weight this morning. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hope you're feeling better TR, hopefully not lost too much.
    Well done Dawg on a big month 👍
    Remind me DT is that Chester mara- a week after Berlin? How did that happen and what's your strategy in terms of A & B race?
    I've just completed a course of antibiotics (causing some tummy issues)  in addition to the hammy pull. This gave me a lackluster week but I still managed to scrape 50 miles. 
    Last night was a club 10k where I ran 37:02. That's a bit down on recent form but not too shabby given issues of late. I'm feeling hopeful for the Big Half this weekend and plan to go off at 6:15 pace aiming for around 1:22-23. I haven't run a good half for many years so this is quite ambitious. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Oo, that's very decent factoring in the hammy and the damage antibiotics fo to the system! 

Plan was to run Berlin then go to London for the day out and literally jog around to enjoy the occassoion. Then following mk half I got the England place which kind of changed the game. London was converted to virtual (purely because it was only way I could get some money back - £20 being difference between actual and virtual) and less of a run to enjoy the occassion plus the pressure of vest. 

Berlin is absolutely A race. Chester I will have to wait and see how I come out of Berlin but in theory plan would be to go out at 7mm then just let the legs dictate what happens but hopefully run 2.55-2.59. I've bounced out of maras before and felt really good a week later, others I e struggled for 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Looking good on the hammy front OO, great 10k time. Good luck with the Big Half.

Hope you're feeling better, TR. Good miles, there.

Some good planning, DT. I'm glad Berlin is your focus, looking forward to seeing how you get on there, I had a great time and got a PB in warm-ish conditions. The final left turn where you see the Brandenburg Gate is an optical illusion, you think the finish line is just past the gate, it's a bit further than you think!

Saw the physio tonight. Seems my issues are mainly nerve related. He put me through some tests and his observations and conclusions all made sense. Gave me some work to do and will go back in 10 days for a review.

Closed out August with an 8 miler at lunchtime after a double (6 road 9 track) day yesterday. 240 for the month, biggest ever but this time with pain on every run. Really hope the exercises work in time for London.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - nerve issues sounds similar to some ive had, all lower back sciatica type stuff. You could do worse than take some magnesium supplement.

DT - very wise. I binned my flip flops when i had PF in 2016.

OO - the lurgy ive had affected the tummy, which leaves you a bit underpowered. I back you to run a decent half, i ran 1.22.19in july and havnt run 37.02 this summer.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    On it! Thanks, TR. 👍🏻
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'd back you for 1.22 also, oo off the back of your 5m and 10k races recently. Good luck. 

Yeah, I'll be more alert to it in future TR. 

Decent month, gdawg, all bodes well for London. 

I took Wednesday and Thursday off to let calf settle and stretch them etc. Easy 6m runs yesterday and today and all seems fine so back on schedule tomorrow with 23m, last 10 pick up to 7mm. I'll still make nearly 55m out of the week so not a total loss. 

Hoping to get next week's big week in. May have to reduce my taper a little as with hols I've had 3 lighter weeks than you'd expect at this stage so accumulated fatigue is low. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good that you're ok to get back to it, well done for playing it safe.

I did 11inc 14x3min and 5m double on Thurs, 5m yday which was then on real achey legs. Legs were pretty ropey as expected today, when i went out. Started pissing down just as i got back from doggy walk, so i waited for it to stop and didnt run til 10am, and was wet through within a few miles anyway due to it being so humid. Pushed on a little in the 2nd half and ended up with 22m in 2:58. Which was a much needed time on feet. 79m for the week, 4 wks til the b of the bang.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes my runs last few days I've been drenched quickly from humidity. As a marathon runner, this has been a long slog of a summer. 

Today was no exception. Out at 9 for 23. As I'd missed my sessions last week agreed a slight variation on a straight 23. 13 at 8mm then 10 at 6.50s. I picked a pretty hilly route with just under 1200 ft of gain, so about 1000 more than Berlin! By the last 5m I was so depleted as didn't take any water out. 

After I got back I had 2 pints of fluid then decided to weigh. Was 4lb lighter still than the weight I went out at. So after the calf disaster still managed an ok 53m for week. 

Big week now next week pre taper. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Easy 6 yesterday and 12 today. Swapped out the due session to tomorrow as legs a bit heavy still from Sunday. 

Looking at my schedule through to Berlin looks like we are working to the end with 74m scheduled this week then 60 next week with a tempo on the Friday but then only 14 on Sunday so more an 8-9 day taper. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on that 23m DT, hopefully we gain from all the tough humid runs on race day. Taper looks good.

Very tired and achey 10m last night, which made me wonder about this mornings session, but got going a bit as it went on and 12m inc the standard 14x3mins. Legs were very achey in the wd,  i can tell its nearly marathon time. Will defo get a good freeing up by the fizz lined up.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Tr, looking at the 14 day forecast, unless i go out before 9am im still hoing to be running in 20c temps in 2 weeks. Bodes well if its just a bit cooler come our respective race days. 

Good work on the session, as you say, at this stage you start them tired and finish them more tired. Ive got a few massages etc  lined up to coincide with Berlin then the short window to chester. 

Decent session today with 2.5m wu with strides then 4 x 1m off 1 min coming in at 5.46, 5.52, 5.49 and 5.53, then 3 mins followed my 6 at mp/tempo. That averaged 6.16mm with splits of 6.14, 6.15, 6.19, 6.14, 6.16 and 6.11. Then a 1m cd giving just under 14m. 

Recovery run tomorrow. Pleased to find this morning that I'm now only 1lb heavier than I was for London last year and that was the lightest I'd ever raced. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    DT - even if it was 20 you'd  be well prepared, given temps we've had and you raced that 1/2 recently. Cracking session, hard work early on and then 6m of mp on legs that have just been going much quicker. What do you have as a long run this weekend?

OO - how was the 1/2,? Are you sulking ?

Just a very weary 6m for me today.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Glad you are going well guys give or take the odd niggle- especially those nerve issues GD 🤞.
    Yer I had a poor Big Half at 1:24:24, which is about 2 mins above what I hoped for. I had raced the 10k earlier in the week followed by 12 miler mid-week so no taper at all. On the day I felt really sluggish and couldn't get near my 6:15 target pace. I'm hoping I can improve a bit at the Great North Run this weekend, but my legs have felt dead post race so I'm not at all confident about that. My chances for a sub 3 in London are starting to look a bit doubtful tbh....
    On the plus side Mrs OO ran a lifetime PB of 2:10 at the Big Half. So proud of her.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, oo. You are definitely better than that. Hopefully you can redeem it Sunday. 

Congrats to Mrs oo.

Tr, this is peak week for me so 20m plod. That'll give 74m for week. 

6m and spin yesterday then a meaty session at lunch. 2.5m wu inc strides then 10m at mp/160bpm came in 6.19mm and 159bpm then straight into  a 2m chaser pick up which came in 6.06 and 6.05 so 12m in 75 mins in 6.17mm at 160bpm then 1m cd. It was pretty warm for a good part of the 10 as sun came out. Absolutely drenched in sweat. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've not tapered this week so should get to 60 miles with GNR. Glad to see the race goes ahead in dpite of the mouring for the Queen.
    That's a heavy week DT 😉
  • Options
    Had a week off work, just pottering about. Meant I could shake up the routine for a nice change. 
    Have run 72 miles since Saturday which included a 20 LSR yesterday, a 10 miler of 8 x 5 mins at 6.4x pace on Wednesday and 13 at 7.23 pace on Tuesday.
    That’s my final 20 of the campaign. Glad to get it done as the next few runs are all about MP and quicker. I’m hoping that the cooler weather will reveal underlying pace, I’ve done the miles but feel pace is down due to injury and weather.
    At the moment, 3.05 is the target.
    Meanwhile, more physio visits and exercises continue.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - or, you could see a 1.24 when very tired and see a 1.22 when fresh which puts you nicely sub 3.......If you've done the long work........I don't bother tapering for 1/2 maras 3 or 4 weeks out anymore as they never go well in peak marathon training. Not sure if racing another one is a good or bad idea one week layer and 2 wks before london.

DT - blimey thats been a big week, got to take confidence from that 10m and then being able to pick it up by a decent gear change, esp all on battered legs.

Was expecting some London logistics info around abput now.

Couple of easy days after Tuesday's session, decided that Legs were ok this morning so took the 9 or 10m left turn instead of the 5 or 6m straight on, regretted it later and finished on very tired legs. Long run tomorrow is going to be a grind.
  • Options
    Hope the long run was OK, TR.

Went to a parkrun today, new course for me. 19.36, finished 10th overall and 2nd in age cat. Well haopy with that after 72 miles in the previous 7 days.
    Splits were 6.14, 6.00, 6.07 with the final bit at 5.55 pace. Fastest pace not on a track for quite some time.

I'm hoping this is a hint I may be peaking atvtge right time. A good workout nevertheless.

A 4 mile recovery tomorrow will bring 62 for the regular week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Good going Dawg

Today would normally now be 5m, 13.1 mp TT, 3m.......but that was never going to happen today, so i appeased myself with 6m, 10m mp TT, 5m on the flatter lanes for the 10m. Came in av 6.37s, but normally should have been an extra 3.1 on a more undulating route. But solid enough when tired and achey, i was going to borrow DTs session and do a faster 11th mile but i couldnt have done another mile mp though let alone the normal 3.1 or speed up for 1 mile more. Not sure where it leaves me but probably around where i need to be........bethroom is being gutted and redone so just backed it up with a tip run for most of the payable to dispose - bags of plaster and tiles. Had to load it, unload it, trolley it to the correct skip and then empty the bags, just got to walk the dog and I can relax.