Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Just seen on the news that junctions 1-4 of M1 are closed until "at least 12pm Saturday afternoon" after a fire in a scrapyard under the motorway.  Trains between Bedford and St Pancras also disrupted.   Anyone coming into London from that way needs to check their route just so as not to add to the stress tomorrow. image
  • Options
    The bloody bbc is now saying 19 degrees for sunday. Just 2 more and it's 2007 all over again...
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

It's pretty much always warm for London in April though isn't it and the weather's been ideal these last few days, bloody annoying!!! haha I think as I have done you just have to assume that there's a much greater chance of getting warm/hot conditions than good ones in April. I'm just hoping there's enough cloud cover and that I can round before it really hots up. If it stays ok for most of the race I should be ok. 2007 it was 21 degrees by 12pm bang on. Hopefully it won't be as bad as that and that the high of 19C is only for much later in the day. I got lucky in Amsterdam in October so you win some you lose some.

Met Office is saying 18C by the way.

• Options

II always used weather.com for forecasts as its usually the most accurate:

Gives hourly data for Sunday, looks like perfect conditions to me!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/hourbyhour/UKXX0085?begHour=5&begDay=107

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Thats a lot more encouraging when you see it predicted like that.

• Options

Good luck to all running sunday 

a quick question and feel a little silly for even asking but.... 2 weeks ago was on antibiotics for chest infection, haven't been running since, have done two spinning sessions this wek and am planning a very gentle jog this evenong with my sister to see how I get on but...would people suggest I race on Sunday? I know that my dreams of breaking a new PB are out the window but do you think i'll be doing more harm than good?? am still coughing but feeling better in myself and not on antiobiotics any more???

Thank you

• Options

1pm forecasts

• Metcheck: 8 degrees, sunny, max for day 12
    • BBC: Sunny intervals, max for day 19
    • Accuweather: 16 degrees, showers coming in, max for day 16
    • weather.com: 17 degrees, sunny, max for day 18
    • Metoffice: Sunny intervals, max for day 18

Metcheck out on a limb

akatrigs:  still coughing = still recovering, you'll know yourself better but sadly imho you would be likely to regret starting a marathon.

• Options
    Cheers SteveC - far better!
  • Options

Blue:
    MsE - 17454 -  in a British Heart Foundation Heart Runners red top (with Wendy on the front and For Dad on back).
    Race Jase - 736 
    SteveC1975 - 23156 
    Ormeski - 17655 -  Yellow Marie Curie vest with 'Pete' on the front.
    Just Running - 2177 -  (pen 3)
    AmyT - 26433 -  Purple vest with yellow piping and Hardley runners in yellow
    Wokky - 20975 - in red and white Oldham & Royton Harriers vest and blue shorts. Dom written on vest
    Red FGFA:
    XPS - 31xxx - Easingwold RC blue vest 2 green hoops
    AfE - 32439 -  Ilkley H vest (red/green stripe) - no coach
    MartinH - 32944 -  Wearing purple (picture as posted a few pages ago).
    SBD - 33319 - Blue vest with smiley clown & "Adrian" on front, Round Table Children's Wish (RTCW)
    RFJ - 31356 Andover AC vest (akin to tescos carrier bag, red shorts / fetch buff
    Efc-Col-32720 red Wallasey ac vest possibly blue shorts.
    Ant - 33083 White vest wirh "Ant" on it in blue; blue shorts.
    Golden Eagle - 33295 - white vest with blue "go faster" stripes. Black or grey shorts.
    Poacher - 31xxx - prob in yellow Stockport vest, but may switch to silver halter neck mini dress
    Green:
    CC2 Speedy Goth - 29680 - Green GFA Pen 2
    Sal - 70793, Green GFA - I will look out for you Speedy as we will probably be running similar pace
    Minni - 29600. Green and purple vest with Minni on front and back (somehow). Blonde plaits

There's my race number. Went to the Expo first thing, bought two new pairs of Wave Riders for £45 apiece, and a fab Saucony summer running tee. The returns shoes were, as reported, a bit minging, and some were really worn on the soles as well as being mucky. £20 for that? Psssch.Everyone very friendly and helpful, all the punters in agood modd. Hurrah for humanity (for once)!

My food story:

Breakfast - Bowl of Puffed Wheat, bowl of Muesli w/ yogurt and milk, OJ, croissant, 2 pieces of toast w/ peanut butter

Lunch - Liguini alla Genovese with chicken

Afternoon snack - OJ and 2 bagels w/ peanut butter

At various moments of the day - 2 pains aux raisins, 4 (go on, count 'em - four) chocolate muffinsimage, 2 chocolate Alpen bars, banana, 2 satsumas. 1 33cl bottle of Peroni beer.Dinner (after pretzels and celrery/carrots w/ hummus) will be pasta w/lamb, unusually, but interestingly.

So, how many carbs is that? I could still go to Waitrose for more, if you think it's necessary.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
  • Options

Ah, very cunning, akatrigs.  Get your excuses in early, eh?  Equalise before the other team scores.  "I'm bound to have a crap run, I've been on antibiotics".  Yes, yes, I like your style.

As it happens, I was on antibiotics until two days prior to the 2009 London marathon.  Sadly, I forgot to labour that point in the post-mortem afterwards.  I wish you had been around then to remind me.  I did have a long list of other excuses - weather too hot, forgot my pace band, couldn't find my lucky pants etc.  But I think the antibiotics thing could have been a clincher.

Anyway, I felt no antibiotical ill effects during the race, so I reckon you'll be fine.  Mind you, I had a throat infection, and you had a chest infection.  I think chest probably trumps throat in the infection stakes.  And as Simon says, you're possibly still recovering. 

Ultimately, akatrigs, internet forums are just like real life. Nobody knows anything.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Ant - Not sure how many carbs in all of that...didn't you weigh out each portion and write it down image.  

I'm travelling down in the morning so will not be online again until after I finish (if Mrs H lets me post my time from her phone).  

Good luck to everyone.  Make sure you do the best you can on the day and you can wear your medal with pride, whatever your finishing time.   If I can get away from my charity lot for an hour I'll see you all in the pub.....if not I'll read all about it on Monday. image

• Options

Wishing everyone all of the best and hope you're hard work brings you what you're after!

DIG DEEP, BELIEVE, ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO ROLL OVER.

• Options

RIght people, it may be the last chance I get to come on here so I;m going to say good luck to everyone now. Make sure you get some rest between now and Sunday, stay hydrated, carb'd and injury free. Thanks for all your help and speak to you all again Monday. Come on!!!!!!!!

Oh, and if any accomodation becomes avaialable from people dropping out of rooms, let me know!

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good luck with sorting the accomodation out Wokky?

Trust they were double chocolate muffins Antimage

I've lost my orginal magazine and the final instructions version doesn't seem to have info on when you have to get in the pens.  Can someone enlighten me?

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Last post from me. Dreading the M1 tomorrow but I'll get there somehow. See you all in sunny London!
  • Options

Seeing as people will be off line, just want to say again;

Good Luck to everyone racing this weekend and Monday.

Remember "Trust in the Training"

AVIT

• Options

Bloody hell Ant - I'm starting to think I haven't eaten enough today, I doubled up on cereal plus 2 slices of toast, double sandwiches at lunch snacking on bananas and a double portion of banana cake and then for dinner a big portion of Jamie's sausage pasta  - a pre-race favourite, I have a sizeable portion of left overs for lunch on the train. I think I need a beer to top up the carbs!

I will be wearing a black St John's Ambulance vest with Sally on the front. I hope someone posts a link as to where to get those sub 3.15 t-shirts after the race image

• Options
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)

I've lost my orginal magazine and the final instructions version doesn't seem to have info on when you have to get in the pens.  Can someone enlighten me?

Doesn't seem to say - just that the start's 0945.

• Options
    Just looked at my hotel's website - it says weekend breakfast starts at 0730, which is possibly a bit late for getting down to Charing Cross and onto the train I hoped to get.  Hopefully they'll do me something earlier - going to bring something to eat on the train anyway, but I'd rather get some cereal and toast or something down first.
  • Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Brief post from iPhone!

Wokky confusing things by having my name on his top on blue start!
    I will be in Pen 1 wearing blue with red trainers, all Nike.

Feel like I've eaten about 3 days worth of food today.

6 x Jaffa cakes 49g
    3 x hob nobs 24g
    2 x toast marmalade 45g
    Banana 15g?
    Sandwich 40g
    Crisps 5g
    Apple Juice 50g
    Cookie 45g
    Half Cornish  Pastie 25g
    Nutri bar 25g
    Scone 40g
    Juice 25g
    Crisps 10g
    Lamb with veg and cous cous 100g or so

500g give or take!

May hit 550g by bed... Certainly won't be anywhere near this total tomorrow or I'll need to be wheeled to the start and roll down the downhill first few miles!

Have a great Saturday and perhaps see some of you on course.

Happy day before gang.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

food intake is staggering..... not in that league.... had about half of the totals of Ant and Dom

• Options

Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to everyone and a big thank you for all the advice given.

last snack before bed. Looking forward to around 1pm on Sunday........

edited - as I can't string a sentence together.....

• Options
    Sbd
    Get on the official website for the final instructions
    It's a PDF file
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Does it matter that I have no idea which pen I am in?
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    It's printed on your number MsE - bottom rightimage
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Oh, 5. Blimey. Am I going to be stuck behind lots of slower runners? I vaguely recall being conservative when applying in the belief I wasn't going to get a place in the ballot in a million years. If I am aiming to run between 7m20s and 7m25s mile splits will that be possible from pen 5?
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    PS v rude of me not to say Thank You SBD!
  • Options

SBD - On the FGFA start there is no need to panic and get in hours before - drop your bag off 20-25 mins before and then get over to the pens at maybe 9:30-9:35. Peeing to the side of the road while waiting for the off seemed to be, if not de rigeur, then not frowned upon, either.

Oh, so, you all think I've eaten enough, then, do you? Good.

Off to bed now, as my 3-year-old nephew will want fun and games around 6 a.m. tomorrow, bless 'im.

Nervous, and whole body aching, it feels like. This taper has been a nightmare. Good job the fun is going to start.

• Options
    Just looked at the various weather forecasts and while it may be a bit warm, at least the humidity will be pretty low, 43%. Goodnight all.