Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Good news PMJ, hope your recovery is smooth and trouble free!

Jools, you could always take a 20mile detour home at MP to shake those guilty feelings. Oh, and best get used to the rain, it's forecast to rain for the rest of August (at least up here) image that's summer done and dusted then!
  • Options

KR - That sounds like a monster session: great work and good speed, there. I, on the other hand dreamt that I did 12 x 300, trying to break the minute for each...

• Options

Jezza - Enjoy your hols...and let me know how you get on with the book. B.t.w., I'm almost certainly going to do Bromley Parkrun on 22nd September - will you be around? Jase?

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good race there SJ.

As for ultras, I think there were lots of comments already and I'll add a few more.

I think it is also necessary to prepare for the terrain.  Courses with a lots of downhill will hammer your quads.  Strengh training your quads will help them last a bit longer.  In general you need to get somewhat used to the terrain and surface you will be running on in the event.

Depending on the distance and gradients, you may need to consider planned walking.  As marathon runners we tend to think of walking as failure, but I think that walking was a very significant component of me finishing in the time I wanted in Comrades.  You can make it regular, e.g. walk 3minutes every 6 mile or governed by the hills, e.g. walk the middle third of each ascent over 100m.

For food it is really very personal and down to experimentation.

You can try episode 2 at: http://www.marathontalk.com/archive/talk_ultra_training.php

for a lot of good tips.

Running is going well for me at the moment.  I've changed my shoes back to ASIC and my hip problem is relived a lot by it.  I got 17 miles on Sunday which is my longest since Comrades.  The only problem has been last weeks LT session where I too saw my pace decline from 2miles into the fast part due to the heat.

2 olympics events at the weekend - 3rd place women's basketball on Saturday  and mens Mountain bike on Sunday.  Yesterday I survived Paulton's park and Peppa Pig World.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I'm praying no-one tells my niece about Peppa Pig World.  Until then, I'm safe.

• Options

I see Xempo has added 10k and 5k times so for full, half, 10k and 5k the bands are:

Purple 3:15, 1:30, 42:00 and 20:00
    Red    3:00, 1:25, 38:00 and 18:30
    Silver  2:45, 1:15, 35:00 and 17:00
    Gold  2:30, 1:10, 32:00 and 15:30

Seems I am still stuck in the red band and silver seems no closer, reckon I coudl do 36 and 17:30 but not 35 nor 17.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say I think the session does me no good, I'm just not sure that it's the sort of session I need to do very often, given my autumn A races are the Bristol Half and Great South.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Wise words from BI about the downhill challenge, plus it's true that walking is not failure, it's like playing a joker on your endurance.

Nice reps by Joolska, maybe the benefit of opening up the lungs and getting the legs turning over fast is the thing. What is your HM target?

PMJ - take it easy, plenty of time to speed up when you are recovered fully

Offf road tonight 9m @ 7.25 then 3m @ 6.40, nothing special, feels like there's a very long way to go before getting back to any sort of form.
  • Options
    PMJ- excuse my ignorance but what is Xempo?

Joolska- I've done Bristol last couple years but bottling out this year as too close to marathon and can't trust myself not to race!

Poacher- nothing special! That is a pretty good effort by my reckoning.

15 medium long last night for me. Felt really good so pushed on a bit and av 7.01 pace. Did last 7 in all sub 6.45, with last mile sub 6. Totally in contradiction to PD paces but got carried away. Recovery today so no harm done?
  • Options

DM- Xempo are a company run by a chap on the sub3 forum. They make vests and T shirts colour coded linked to verified race performance. They used to just do mara and HM ones but now seem to do 5k and 10k. Their very existence divides opinion on here ! I think they're quite good since they're a small reward for all the hard work we put in. You really don't see that many of them on the streets or even at races so a bit of a niche "club" if you see someone in them. I've got two image

Looks to me like their 5k red target is a tad soft but there we go. I think a sub3 is worth a lot more than an 18.30 5k

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I have an Xempo and was very proud to get it. However, I'm a bit embarrassed to wear it do it's kept for very early runs on my own where no one will see it! It shouts out 'look at me' a bit and that's not the done thing around here!
  • Options
    Thanks FW. Seems im stuck between red and silver. Closer to silver though. image
  • Options
    Are they just colour coded or is there written text to say how brill you are?

I guess most people wouldn't have a clue what they are anyway?
  • Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

DM - you seem to be flying at the moment. If you could pass on some of that pace, I could do with some. I've been feeling a bit lacklustre on training runs over the last week.

The clothing doesn't say how brill you are personally - you still need to tell everyone your PB's when you overtake them. It is available to be seen here:

http://www.xempo.co.uk/

• Options

Hi. It's been a while since I said hello on this forum, but I've been following everyone's progress with interest. A quick question, if you don't mind... I'm planning to buy a Garmin watch. I see that the 410 and 405CX are both on offer on Amazon. Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these watches? I'd really value this group's opinions.

My training is going really well since I joined my local running club in May. I'm chipping away at my 5k time, which is now 19:13 - more than a minute quicker than when I started the club. I'd mainly put that down to Steve's coaching to be honest. I'm training very differently now, which seems to be paying off but still some way off the next Xempo top... image

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Hi Rob,

I use the 410 and no particular complaints as long as you lock the bezel whilst running. Scrolling around the bezel takes a big of getting used to but fine when mastered. I bought mine about 2 weeks before the 610 came out which is typical for me!! Can't help admiring the 610 whenever I go into my local running shop, but my wife will go nuts if I change it. Had the 110 previous which was fine for basics but no facility for interval training. Personally, if you can I would stretch to the 610.

AR- thanks, yes training is going well although I worry I'm over doing it. I reckon all this endurance work is really going to pay off on 10 k when marathon is over. Got to make a decision soon whether to go for sub 3 or play safe and go sub 3.15. I have a MP run on Sunday which will give me a good indicator. I'll swap you some pace for some of your endurance!! image
  • Options

Thanks DM. Most appreciated. I just had a look at the 610. It looks great and you've probably persuaded me to part with a further £80... I've read a few negative comments about the 410 touch bezel, so wasn't sure.

All other thoughts very welcome. Thanks again.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Rob, I have had a 610 since January and have been really pleased with it. I don't have much to compare to though. Touch screen is very easy to use, and easy to set up the screens the way you want. The soft heart rate band is comfortable and hasn't let me down yet.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Rob I'm using the 310XT - it is waterproof so perfect for a British summer. It's got a big battery too if you would ever contemplate any ultras.

• Options

AR - many thanks. I've been using the Nike+ GPS watch but it had too many problems so I sent it back. The 610 is quite expensive, but I'd rather pay extra for a watch that is reliable. I've never used a HR band, but I'd like to using it as part of my training in the future. I also like the idea of virtually racing against a previous PB....

Bike It - thanks. I'll take a look at the 310XT, although I doubt I'll ever have a go at an ultra... I find marathons hard enough. image

Thanks again.

• Options
    DM, your form suggests sub3 if you can avoid injury or overtraining.

Hi again Rob, I have a 405cx, does everything I need and more - on the downside it is a bit bulky, can be flakey sometimes and pack up (just turns itself off!!) and I don't need half of the functionality - given the choice again I'd either go for a lighter functionality watch or go all out and get that snazzy 910xt and satisfy my growing triathlon nerdy tendencies

12 easy last night 1st 6 at 8:30mm, 2nd at 8mm - felt like a very long recovery run but seemed to freshen everything up apart from my back which has been grumbling for about a week now. Too much time hunched over a desk!

If I ever get a sub3 I'll be straight in for a xempo vest and will happily flaunt it!
  • Options
    SJ- my sentiments exactly! The red vest with sub 3 marathon seems to sound better than sub 38 10k or sub 1.25 half marathon!! People would just ask when you are doing a proper ' marathon' lol.

Sub 3 is the only time I would contemplate ordering one and then just for personal consumption not flaunted in public!!
  • Options

Thanks SlokeyJoe. The 405 does seem a bit heavy and I'd also read that it sometimes just turns itself off, so it's interesting that has also been your experience. Thank you.

Thanks also to this forum for giving me a new goal... sub 18.30 5k and a lovely red Xempo vest.. image 

• Options

The question about the xempo is whether you dare to wear one at a race. Potential to look like a right knob if you don't perform to your vest's potential !

• Options
    FW- exactly what I thought. Imagine prowling around at the start looking the part. Having a bad day as we all do from time to time, finishing below time on vest. How embarrassing. Even worse, blowing up a DNF and a walk of shame through crowds back to start. image
  • Options
    efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭
    Hi folks, back from a very enjoyable family holiday in Spain.Plenty of fine food and liquid refreshments.

Managed to get some miles in though so not a total slacker, 42.5 miles in total 2x8m 1x12m 1x14.5m but very warm and not very fast but at least it kept me ticking over.

I have had a quick read back and plenty on here seem to be going very well, and some on the bench so to those hope you recover quickly.

Back to some quality stuff tomorrow and yes Minnie GNR is not too far off I could have done with a few weeks extra.

Dm looking good for sub 3....
  • Options

Hi Rob, glad to hear the training is gonig well. Sounds like the track sessions are doing the job with your 5k times! After years just using a carp Timex stopwatch from Argos (about £12) I got a Garmin 410 for my 40th a few years ago and it was brilliant apart from the frustrating bezel when it got wet. I got a 610 in December for the ASICS training and it is even better. The touch screen is so much easier to use than the bezel on the 410. I also like the buzzer/vibrations on the mile marks. If you can afford it get the 610. If not the 410 is just as good.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Re the xempo clothing, I'm tempted to turn up in a Newcastle shirt with "PACE" plastered on the front and back to see if I can bag myself some elites for company

le

http://www.xempo.co.uk/staging/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/elite-yes-300x200.jpg

• Options

Hello again, KR. Hope all well. Yes, the track sessions are definitely doing the trick. Steve definitely knows his stuff and it's also made me train slightly differently on the other days as well, which seems to be working.

Well done on your recent parkrun PB as well. I couldn't remember what Garmin you got through ASICS, so thanks for the review. I think I'll go for the 610. I just need to cancel the kids' Christmas presents now... image

I'm planning to do a 10k race on Sunday to see if I can convert my 5k PB into a solid 10k PB. Fingers crossed...

• Options

5 yesterday, day off today after two days and 7 miles total. A low level pain in the foot so am hoping it is just moaning about being used after being rested. parkrun tomorrow and there is hope for a record turnout of over 20,000.

Have to agree 18:30 5k seems much easier than 3:00 marathon. For me, the former is age graded 77.2% and the latter 74.8% so it is the other way round. Guess it is down to the usual caveat, these things are based on training properly for the event and even for people like us on a marathon thread, we do a lot more training aimed at 5k than 42.195 k.