Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hmm.  To get my red t-shirt I would have to take 52 seconds off my 5k pb, 88 seconds off my 10k pb, 101 seconds off my HM pb or 190 seconds off my marathon pb.  Despite this year's poor marathon, I think the last of those is still the easiest!

• Options
    Joolska, did I read on an earlier post that you are doing Bristol half? I did it last year but passing this year as to close to Marathon taper! What time are you aiming for? It's pretty flat so good PB potential.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yep, 5km in 18 is achievable for me, but sub 3 is a one in a lifetime experience image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I'm not setting a specific target time - part of the New Joolska School of Running, which has produced a 5k pb this May.  You just run and then find out what shape you are in at the end of it when you stop your watch image

More seriously, I think that (for me, at least) I've allowed targets to be limits, i.e. I want sub 85 mins, so I will go off no faster than 6.30m/m.  Plus my training has been very different this year (first time I've gone back to quite a bit of speedwork off lower mileage since about 2007) and I've no idea whether it'll be hit or miss.  I'll find out on 30th September!

• Options
    Joolska- I've adopted that kind of philosophy in my last 2 10k races and just set distance on the garmin with no time and auto split turned off. In both races I finished a minute outside of my PB but had a real race with other people rather than the watch, if that makes sense. I really enjoyed my last race and just tucked in behind a small group and ran the last 3 miles or so at what I thought was very comfortable pace. Waited patiently until 400m board and pegged it expecting someone to come with me. They failed to materialise and I finished 20 secs ahead of the group! I was 7th and 6th was way in front of my PB anyway. I did feel rather guilty though when shaking hands with the group behind me though having ran in their slip stream for 3 miles. image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Dreadful week so far for me. I'll struggle to reach 35 miles.3 whole days without a run Monday to Wednesday- can't remember the last time that happened. Glad the running feels good Dylan and Joolska.

• Options

Finally my internet is working again, it's been driving me mad! I've tried to keep up but I fear I have failed. 

Raced the last Notts Summer Road Race League race on Weds (which is a joke of a name, that particular race was 70% off road and I don't think any of them had weather which might constitue 'summer'). Anyway, I finished 3rd again, and far enough ahead of my nearest rivals that I think I secured silver over the whole league (5 races over 5 months) despite jogging the first race as it was just before VLM. Results aren't out yet though and the presentation that usually happens after the last race was cancelled due to the venue having closed down months previously. I'm not holding my breath to ever receive that medal. Or the team bronze I think we won. I still haven't had the team Midlands gold from the 10 miler in May 2011. 

Lots of miles have been run here, 78 last week. This week's a cutback though. Only 18 to do tomorrow, which will feel odd after 3 weeks in a row of 20 milers. 

GNR number came and I have pen A, so hopefully the weather will be kind like last year and I can get a shiny new PB. I doubt I'll move up an Xempo colour though. I have two of their tops. A T-shirt I bought myself and never really wear, and a vest that someone bought me as a gift that I wear in the gym where no-one knows what it is. I wouldn't dream of wearing it to club. 

• Options

Hi Rob, yes Steve definately knows his stuff. As you know, what you think you know can be blown out of the water by a differenet approach. Sometimes the slight changes in training can make the difference. Good luck for your 10k on Sunday, let us know how you get on.

Surely those Xempo stats are for men Jools? Defo got a purple shirt x 4 times but just 1 time in the red shirt category (5k).

Hope your parkrun goes okay PMJ.

Good result in your league race speedy image a great achievement for silver in the league! Good mileage for last week. What sort of time are you aiming for at GNR?

I would give my left arm (or foot!) for a sub 3 rather than a sub 18.30 5k. I think there are certain time barriers that as runners we try and achieve, but there is that mental block about times. When I used to do long jump it was all about getting over 6 metres. It took a while, but once I got it the mental block went. Running is the same, that mental block can sometimes only equate to a few seconds per mile. But a few seconds per mile from 5k to a marathon can make a BIG difference!

Agree with you OO, a sub 3 marathon would be a once in a lifetime achivement. Know what you mean about feeling guilty not running. last week I didn't run for 3 days and was feeling edgey. Luckily this week I have made up for it with 6 days back to back running image.

Jools, I think the speedwork is the key in marathon and half marathon training. I think you have the inbuilt endurance to make the speedwork effective in your half marathon training. I have always found that the speed endurance (longer reps) have helped with half marathon times.

Dylan Man - It's good to get back to basics sometimes. It's great to be in a race with a group of equally paced runners and swapping positions throughout the race.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good debate re mara times and shorter distances. I guess most (if not all) on here would go for the marathon time over a 5K (it is a marathon forum, after all). In my "heyday" I was always trying to improve my mara time, and other distance PB's all came off the back of marathon training. maybe I should have concentrated more on specific shorter distance stuff, as my age-grading is better for 5K, 10K, and half than it is for mara.  Saying that, it was (is)? the satisfaction of putting a marathon campaign together that motivated me, + the feeling in the last few miles and at the finish - summed up better than I can in this quote I found -
    "Even when you've run many marathons, the feeling of crossing the line is extraordinary. It's public and private at the same time; unassailable proof that you've dedicated yourself to months of hard training and had the willpower to pull yourself through a race of immense highs and lows". 

Jools said -  "I think that (for me, at least) I've allowed targets to be limits" -   the advent of Garmins is partly responsible. Whilst great gadgets (I have one), I do feel they can be an inhibitor - setting a pre-ordained pace takes no account of conditions, course, how one feels on the day etc.  As an example, a couple of years back I did a half after one of my (seemingly frequent thesedays) layoffs and thought 1:33 - 1:35 wd be acceptable. I wore the Garmin, but just as a stopwatch and lap set to miles. Ran to feel, checked at 2 miles, thought hmm, quicker than anticipated, but felt Ok, pressed on, checked at 5 & 10 - hard but manageable, then kitchen sink for last 3.1, came in at 1:31. Conversely, an inhibiting factor might have helped when I crashed and burned spectacularly in a mara PB attempt, although that wasn't so much poor pace judgement as plain stupidity ! 

OO said "Dreadful week so far for me. I'll struggle to reach 35 miles.3 whole days without a run"
    Well my heart aches for you OO image  -  52 miles in last 3 months here - 2 (yes two) in the last month - knee hurts when I walk now. Hoping physio will refer me to consultant on thursday. If not, then I don't know what will happen - just have to wait until the body heals itself I guess.  Either way, with reference to the earlier quote, I want that feelin at least one more time  . . . .

Keep on folks - I'm looking forward to enjoying your autumn mara exploits ! 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I was down as a reserve marshall at parkrun this morning and ended up being needed, so I'll have to do a tough long run tomorrow, incorporating some MP sections.  It's been a while, and I always dread them...

Sorry to hear things are still not good from a running perspective for you, Birch.  Hope you get some better news soon!

• Options
    Languid 7 recovery for me tonight, in prep for the 16 with 12 @ MP tomorrow. Yikes!
  • Options
    Great post Birch. Fingers are crossed for you. Make sure that you let us know how you get on on Thursday.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes great post Birch- sorry to hear your plight but great runners always come back.

Speedy your mileage is immense. I'm still looking for a GNR place- you should give me a good ding dong the way you are going.

Guilt lead me to do a 4 mile warm up before my parkrun this morning. The race itself produced 18:37, one of my worst performances. I did 9 miles overall though, and with 16+ tomorrow I should scrape high 30's for the week.

• Options

Birch, you will have a second 'heyday', just get that knee fixed first. 

• Options
    Had my first hiccup of the campaign today. Scheduled to do a 16 with 12 at MP. As soon as I woke up I knew it was going to be a tough day at the office! Did a 3 warm up followed by 10 MP. Set off too fast and got lulled into that false sense of security that 10 or 15 secs too fast won't hurt. Ran 10 at av 6.40. Felt very dehydrated and decided to call it a day at 10. I think if I'd pushed and completed that last 2 I would have done more harm than good as legs were trashed. Lesson learnt! I think I pushed too hard in the last part of my 15 mid week run and Fridays 13. Feeling a bit fed up now and annoyed for giving up! On a positive note got 10 in at nearer lactate threshold than MP! I guess everyone has the odd hiccup in a long campaign?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Dylan man- I had to work pretty hard in my 17M w/ 3 x 3M @ MP as well.  Decided to go for 7m/m for the MP as (a) I was a bit hungover and (b) I haven't done much MP or HMP work yet (there's another 6 weeks to get that in before Bristol!).  First 2 blocks were ok but had to stop for some water and to stretch my left calf during the 3rd one.  Still, ended up with 6.58m/m, 7m/m and 6.58m/m so I'll take that.

• Options
    Good work Jooska! Sounds like you had a plan and stuck to it well. I feel really guilty and annoyed that I failed today. Its my first session in 10 weeks that's been a let down. The way I feel at the moment perhaps I should reconsider my MP and go for a safe 7 mins and forget about an outside chance of sub 3? Was it me or was it incredibly close and humid today? I could ring my vest out when I got back!
  • Options
    A general question for all.

When PD says for example 16 miles with 12 at MP, does this mean the MP work should be done as one continuous block? Or split up with some lower pace miles thrown in? It takes a whole load of concentration to maintain race pace for long periods of time in training and alone.

Sorry folks- checked the book and answered!!
  • Options
    DM, what was the answer? Don't panic yet there fella. It's never completely plain sailing!

Well done to Jools on a quality session

Busy weekend for me - 12 on Friday at 7:50mm, 4 recovery yesterday followed by a 30 mile ride, 19 ave 7:50mm this morning followed by a 5 mile walk through the woods in the rain (that's for all you sun drenched southerners!). Feet are now up.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DM - when I followed P&D I did the 12 @ a block.   My last marathon training had the MP miles done in blocks so a 16 mile run would be split as 4 easy /4 MP /4 easy /4 MP etc.  I did still do 1 x 12m block though.   

Birch - you've just reminded me why I like running marathons rather than concentrating on shorter distances. Great post and hoping you get back soon.

OO - I'm on the case re your GNR place.  I'll give you a shout if any come up around here.

Poacher - hope you're having a nice day marshalling at the Coastal.  It would be beautiful down on that beach this morning.  Not so nice for the runners though.

Speedy - I'm pen A too! image  Should we wear our Xempo t-shirts? imageimage  Well done on the league and hope you get your medal.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

DM - still a very good session and one hickup in ten weeks is better than most could hope for so put it behind you and crack on. If I was in your shape I would be definitely continuing with the sub 3 attempt as you seem to be in good nick.

Nice running Speedy,  SJ and Joolska too.

Birch - hope you get to see someone who can sort it out for you.

Poor posture and weak core coupled with a nerve sheath tightenting (Dura mater?) appear to be my issue. Exercises and stretches are the order of the day but I am back running very gently - 2 x 2k sessions thus far. Hopefully build on this next week. fingers crossedimage.

• Options

Minni - since we're in as 'faster paced club runners' I imagine we have to wear club vests, same as at VLM. Well, that's my excuse for not wearing my Xempo top anyway, and I'm sticking to it! 

I do up to 12 miles @ MP in one block. I'm only up to 10 miles so far this campaign, which I did on Monday with a 1 mile WU and 2 mile CD. I don't find it hard to do that, I think I'd have more trouble with smaller blocks broken up by easier miles as chaning pace is more of an issue for me, plus I'd forget *when* I was supposed to change. Remembering to start the MP section at 1 mile and end after 11 miles was challenge enough!

• Options
    SJ,Mini, Mennania, Speedy, thanks for the advice and/or encouragement. Needed that as feeling really down after this morning. I think I'll carry on training at same paces for now and review if necessary after next MP pace run in several weeks time. I guess no harm in training for sub 3 even if I decide to bin the idea in the next month or so. image) Oh, by the way PD says finish the run with the MP block.
  • Options

I live at the top of a massive hill, there's no way I'm running up that as the last mile of my MP effort!

• Options

Very hot today, anyone who did anyting long needs a pat onthe back for doing so: most of us recognise the CNBA fairy in the winter on a cold and wet day but I reckon there summer days are just as hard.

As this is a marathon thread there is a bias towards the marathon but I reckon that hitting a lot of these targets at shorter distances is just as hard and just as rewarding. I train with a bunch of youngsters who do 800 or 1500m and they are out for 2 to 2.5 hours three times a week on the track plus other runs which makes my 56 odd miles (so maybe 7 hours) look postively slacking.

Did 6.2 today (planned for 6 but 6.2 came about to get shade for a turning point and a drink for my outriders) so a harsh comparison: today 45:35 and last 6.2 of VLM were in 41:17. Pleasign thing was the 5k back was fater the the 5k out.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Bristol was warm and humid rather than hot, but that takes its toll, too...

• Options

Cracking post there Birch - did you say who the quote was from or did I miss it ? Sorry to hear you're still struggling. Your commitment over the years and determination to keep at it with a tough goal still in mind is hugely admirable

DM - These kind of sessions are bound to crop up. Think you're right to carry on with current paces - we're weeks away from deciding on final MP yet. I suppose we should all learn that these paces should be perceived effort not pace at all and as Birch said the evil/wonderful Garmin makes it all too easy to know exactly how well.badly we're doing on any given day

I made the mistake of nopt respecting the conditions in my May marathon and setting off too darned fast even though all training had pointed at a far better outcome. In reality prob shouldn't set MP until you open your eyes on race day and look out of the window

Enjoy the GNR when it comes laydeez

Good to see you'r eback and getting the miles in PMJ

Slightly crappy week for me with 2 tough workouts on Tues and Fri (not quite at target for Tues and binned Friday's session of 3 * 15 mins at HMP after second effort went pear shaped ). It's been horribly hot and humid up here even so I'm blaming that ! 20 today at 7.59 on a tough hilly off road course was a bit of an effort but good to get it done. 10 k race next Sun so easier week coming up

• Options
    FW- cracking long run effort today. Bet that was thirsty work. Sorry, but you've made me feel a wee bit better knowing I'm not the only one who's canned a bit of a tough session this week! image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great pace there Fraser. I also did 20 miles to claw back on on a poor week (39 total) but only managers 8:58 pace in the heat. I was thinking of the Coastal Marathon Minni- very scenic but it would have been a really tough course this morning.

Late afternoon I took my daughter for a 1/2 mile swim in the sea off longsands in Tynemouth. She wore a full wetsuit but I only had a shortie with arms and legs exposed. I'm not good with cold water and I nearly froze- I'll not try that again in a hurry though I'm glad I tried it.