Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Blimey - just back from afternoon at pub with my pal (she bought me 4 pints of St Edmunds (!) ), and what glory to behold. No platitudes to follow - just well deserved kudos
    BikeIt - 9 mins PB !
    DM - 5/200  - top notch !
    AR - 'kinell - brilliant work after last week - indicates big things to come . . . .
    Lorenzo - target achieved on a tough, tough course - cigar time !
    Fraser - really pleased for you - 1st sub-3?  Bask in the moment  . . .
    Keir - excellent comeback outing . . . . .

Speedy - 2 x XC a week after a 3:09 --  tough as (big-heeled) boots !  Nic pic as well . . .

• Options

AR - 'kinell indeed. Novice or not, that's some going.

Fraser - A PB is a PB, and it's sub 3, so get the bubbly out image

Lorenzo - that doesn't sound like fun. Essentially an extra long XC race. The beauty of XC though, is that they're over quickly. Congrats on smashing sub 4. Make your kids replace the stairs with a lift. 

Jools - are you an XC lover like me? I didn't even count for a team today despite being first home for my club - we only put a vets team in as I can't do the whole series and I'm the only senior lady (as usual!). 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Brilliant racing today, Bike it, DM, AR, Lorenzo.  Poacher...?  Special well done to Fraser - fantastic getting under the 3 hrs, cut it fine a bit though!  Well done all!

• Options
    Wow, wow, wow

Brilliant day for the thread with sub3s, PBs, monster hills being conquered and trophies too!

Very well done to all of you - but.... AR = amazing run !!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

What a varied pack of races today especially the marathons. Well done bike it on the PB, DM for the placing and good time on a tough course. Lorenzo that sounds a mental race, no envy at all. And Fraser and AR for sub 3 hours maras- what a day for the thread. AR 2 in 2 weeks takes the biscuit- what were you thinking? I hope you come thrigh with no injuries.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I'm not a big XC lover, Speedy: I'm good at going up hills but lose my nerve on the descents, particularly at the moment when I'm anxious about overstriding and really b*ggering the hamstring (which is still only just ok).  But XC is undoubtedly very good for me, and with 3 of our top ladies competing at the Stroud Half instead of doing Gwent League we needed everyone else to turn up!

• Options

What's happened to Minni's picture?! 

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

RJs stolen it to keep under his pillow image

• Options
    Great performance AR. Was that the Army girl with the expiratory orgasm with every step???!!

For those that asked that's an overall PB for me but second sub3- I obviously like to cut it fine...
  • Options

AR Wow, just wow. I said this last week, but will repeat it. Only in time when you look back, will you realise how amazing your achievement is.

Lorenzo Nice bimble through the hills.

FW Sub 3 is the target achieved. Time to celebrate.

DM Impressive debut on what sounds like a tough course. Should be a lot of us at VLM 2014.

BikeIt Cracking PB (Another GFA). Interested for a longer report and to ask how it conpared mentally to Comrades.

Nice XC races from Jools and Speedy.

13.1 miles for me today at 7:37mm pace. All very comfortable. Plan was 12 at 8:00 pace, but I started at 7:45 pace and just got gradually quicker. I had to push slightly over the last couple of miles to come in sub 1:40, but it is good to run niggle free. 

• Options
    Fraser Wells wrote (see)
    Great performance AR. Was that the Army girl with the expiratory orgasm with every step???!!

For those that asked that's an overall PB for me but second sub3- I obviously like to cut it fine...

You've got it FW. When it was getting a bit much I had a chat to her and peace decended for a few secondsimage That had to be the wierdest noise in a race from mile 0 to 25 when she took off

• Options

Lots of people doing what it says on the tin: sub 3:15 thread and a whole bunch coming in and dishing up main course and some adding a pudding for sub 3 as well. Time for a rest for a few (AR, 'kinell indeed and wow!) and make sure that you make a few notes while it is real so that what is learned this time is exploited next time. Fraser, second sub 3 under the belt: have got to say if you shoot sub-3 and score 59:58 and 59:47 that isn't cutting it fine, that is precision engineering .

moof wrote (see)
    PMJ- did you run many 20's pre Xmas in the build up for VLM?

Only one 20, so not a lot of long miles, but a lot of miles. Nov and Dec were about 200 miles each so that I could up to 260 in Jan. I spent the summer running one longish run round the 13 to 15 mark and also a 10 mile and so base was about taking that 10 up to 20 so it took 5 weeks to get the 10 to 15 and then once I had a pair of 15s another 5 weeks to get it to 20.

After Christmas I did 5x21 (and a couple of 20s) and I think next time round I will either do some 22s or slow the 21s down as time on the feet was a bit short: they were in the 2:35 to 2:45 bracket and even running 2:50 meant that the last 15 minutes or so were uncharted so an extra mile or 30 seconds a mile slower would take the upper end of that bracket to 2:55.

• Options
    OMG - did she do it all the way round??? I assumed it was a final few miles thing. We must have run mighty close to each other btw. What vest were you wearing?
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Super stuff from so many today, nice cold autumn weather is a blessing. In no particular order...

Lorenzo - excellent run on an eye wateringly hilly route, a real quad buster. Used to cycle round there as a kid, respect to anyone who can run those hills

Keir - top 10, very nice and you will get faster

Dylan - also very impressive on that course, got to be worth something significantly faster on the flat.

Nice XC by Speedy & Joolska

As for Abingdon, it was a pleasure to say well done to Bike It on that massive PB, looks like a breakthrough to a new level

Also Ran - ditto, it's hard enough to do 2 respectable maras in a week, let alone to go sub3 when you been ill/injured and with a leg strapped up like The Mummy. Especially that early in your mara career. Really good running.

Fraser - sorry to miss you....the master of consistency and precision sub3 pacing.

I must thank those of you suggested that I should go for it, and say that you inspired me to 2.57.14. In my 31st mara, who'd have thought it? Not me.

Tired now, full report anon
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

BLOODY BRILLIANT POACHER! - 

Definately deserved. You must be over the moon. That's fantastic news. I'm made up for you.

• Options

Poacher - delighted for you. Not surprising you're tired. Look forward to getting the full report.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Another Abo epic from Poacher. Sub 3!! Well done.

I'm sure any aspiring 3.15 runner may be put off joining in on this thread with all the speed merchants about.
  • Options

Poacher Brilliant. Delighted for you. You deserve it.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

image - Poacher !  Look forward to report - off to kip now - 4 pints around teatime taking its toll  . . . .

• Options

Told you there would be some great performances today. You lot have not disappointed. image

Fraser, AR, and Poacher just stupendous efforts on going sub 3 (this is supposed to be the sub 3:15 thread you know?!). It must be a such a fantastic feeling for all three of you, even if in slightly different ways!

Bike it awesome fella and a massive chunk off the PB. Enjoy it.

DM , Lozza fantastic efforts on really tough courses there.

I almost feel inspired enough to go for a run but think I'll have another glass of wine to celebrate your collective acheivements instead. image

• Options

A Super Sunday for the thread! Absolutely brilliant. It's easy to read through so many stories of sub-3:15 and sub-3 successes ( and epic, nay, heroic sub-4s) and forget just how much sacrifice, pain, anxiety and sheer bloody hard work lies behind them. So take a bow Lorenzo, AR, Poacher, Fraser, Dylan and Bike It - you can be really proud of yourselves.

Not to mention a great performance from Keir and Speedy's dirty weekend. 

You lot are an inspiration.

• Options

Poacher - good to meet you today in what was a very happy occassion

Fraser Wells wrote (see)
    OMG - did she do it all the way round??? I assumed it was a final few miles thing. We must have run mighty close to each other btw. What vest were you wearing?

Yes - from about half mile from the gun (or was it a whistle). She never once looked stressed, just one wierd noise.

I was in my lucky black vest and shorts, looking slightly emaciated still, right leg in an array of black KT tape that Mrs Also-ran assisted with last night (when I dropped into conversation that I was going out for a 'run' today.). We must have been running close together at points

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Poacher - fantastic! Very well done. 31st marathon? Amazing! image
  • Options
    Congrats one and all racers today. Truly awesome efforts by all of you with pb's and v impressive Greensands Lorenzo.

Chuffed for mr perseverance Poacher!
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Epic all round.

Really brilliant DM - first mara on a very tough course - amazing result.  That ascent/descent is worth at around 8-10 minutes on a flatter course.  More to come from you.

Lorenzo - excellent result - that's a tough course and a great result with the ascent/descent and off road too.

3 guys under sub-3 at Abo - well done chaps.  Glad I missed the 'Army girl'

Good to hear from Keir and MartinH as well.

Off to the Lake District tomorrow.  So busy packing, etc. and not going to get full report done tonight.  Will endevour to do so over the next few days.

Just been celebrating at home with my wife who has been very supportive of my running and made a lot of sacrafices to let me run so many times and look after our kids.

The old heros of the past have been busted (I'm talking about Lance Armstrong and a whole host of others) and instead of seeking inspiration from their 'unbelivable' achivements, I have sought inspiration from the real world. This is where you came into my head my friends.  I have sought inspiration from each and everyone of you today and I thank you for that.

• Options

Managed to slip in that I knew MartinH when younger Lorenzito was going through the latest edition of the Guinness Book of World Records and came across London's fastest fairy!!!

For some reason he thinks I should go for the record of the fastest London Marathon dressed as a monk. Not sure what that says about his impression of the life that Mrs L and I lead!

• Options
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

Managed to slip in that I knew MartinH when younger Lorenzito was going through the latest edition of the Guinness Book of World Records and came across London's fastest fairy!!!

For some reason he thinks I should go for the record of the fastest London Marathon dressed as a monk. Not sure what that says about his impression of the life that Mrs L and I lead!

Maybe you have just thought him that running is a good habit (yes I have been drinking)

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Poacher: image  Very nice way to notch up marathon #31

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done poacher, another terrific performance to add the y/days roll call of Super Sunday. This thread is gonna be flat for a while after that lot. Better get our heads down for winter. 

• Options
    Congratulations Poacher. After 31! Just proves that keeping on going pays off - superb image