Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

And not to forget one can also encounter a cold 'snap', which of course brings out the worst nesh behavioir.

wish I was fit enough for a marathon this w/end.

• Options
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Menna/Birch - Down in leafy Surrey we prefer(red) to use the phrasal verb "to nosh off".

Never heard that in our part of Surrey, but I'll be careful when I next pop into somewhere for a bite to eat.

I've never though of myself as particularly nesh when it came to running, but I have had the gloves on already this year. Definitely still shorts weather though.

Most amusing example of the day so far of the wrong letter being used but not being picked up by the spell checker was an email that got sent to the whole of our company that said "if some of the fire extinguishers are not located on the wall please don’t worry as they are being testes". image

Good luck to all the Abo runners for Sunday - I'll be pleased with anything sub 4 in the Greensand Marathon but it is a little bit hillier than Abo. And rain is forecast. image

• Options

Lorenzo - Ah, but we're north-east Surrey...Asfor the person who sent out that email, I hope they got a bol***king.

I also wish I was fit enough for a marathon this w/e - I've got a bit of something or other and am feeling totally washed-out, so my 7-milers today and yesterday were a bit of a struggle. HR way up and sweating like there was no tomorrow.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

careful Ant- I work in HR image

• Options

ooh, talk about marathon targets is quite exciting isnt it. Good running to all.  I am under the weather with a virus but given where I am it it is no biggy. Kudos to Ant for running two 7 milers when not right and not letting the cnba monkey get in the way.

Lorenzo - someone sent a card to all office staff thanking us for a present for their newborn and I quote " I would like to thank you all for the gift of the personalised muslim..." still makes my laugh and cringe at the same time. Worrying thing is out of 40 odd only two of us noticed.

Edit - bad time for a typo

• Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

I was referring to "Eric" - he was never short of an anecdote to share with the class and I don't remember him ever raising a hand in anger. Which one did you have in mind?!

Same one, he struck one guy full blow, one half of the bully pair: Moore and Julian?

• Options
    I'd have assumed a couple of heavyweights like you and Gul would have assumed the Gripper Stebson role at your Alma Mater PMJ....
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Which one was Flashman and which was Tom Brown?

Or was it more like Malcolm McDowell in "If"?....
  • Options

Hmm, bait and scran I'm familiar with, but snap? That's a card game. We'll be onto the great cob/bun/roll debate next.... (it's a BUN, unless it's got something in it, and then it's a BUTTY).

• Options
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Hmm, an ex-boyfriend used to refer to something else as baps... image

• Options

PMJ - I've no recollection of that incident whatsoever and don't remember a Julian? Do you mean Russell? I must be getting old image
    All the best to Lorenzo in the Greensand marathon and to all the Abo crew, plus anyone else racing this weekend.
    I did a 3 mile recovery run this morning at a snail-like 9:06 m/m. To avoid arguments, I will now be making slicing a loaf of bread to make sandwiches.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

stottie caaake

7 mile with a hard hill session last night- not good for my dodgy hip

• Options
    MsE, bread based product and body part nomenclature commonality can be good for a bit of innuendo... "would you like some sauce on your baps?" oooer missusimage
  • Options

Gul: Russell and Moore you are right: always seemed ironic names to me (philosophers).

Local dialect is always fun especially in place names. I holiday in Devon a lot and there is a town there with two names: Woolfardisworthy or Woolsery. In Norfolk, most places are pronounced totally differently to their spelling (literacy was never good there) and I have a particular liking for a limerick by Stephen Fry that makes fun of Costessey where the Norwich Half is run:

There was once a girl from  Costessey,
    Who's pubes were very glossy

so it rhymes with glossy i.e. Cosssey.

• Options

Waiting for Mrs PMJ to get ready so we can go to Cambridge to see daughter #2 at uni there, but see the British Masters Athletic Federation has updated their website with the 2013 fixtures:
    http://www.bvaf.org.uk/fix/fix.asp
    and that includes the 2013 BMAF marathon which is listed as Sun 27 October 2013 in Newcastle.

I assume this is the Town Moor Marathon so I am looking for a few hints and tips on it as a course from those of you who know it. I would really like to get a 2:4x marathon as my next goal so need 29 seconds on VLM: is that possible at Newcastle? I would hope to be a few minutes faster next autumn so really it is if the course is within a few minutes of VLM or is it a grinder?

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - I had a quick look at the Greensands mara.  It looks like a great event.  With that amount of elevation, off road conditions after the recent wet spell, I have to agree that 4hours would be a good time.  Best wishes for it.

Baps or barm cakes would correctly describe what I've seen called buns.

• Options
    Morning all. Taper question if I may. During this last week of taper I have never experienced so many phantom aches and pains, also legs have felt heavy some days. Saying that when I did my dress rehearsal on Wednesday the 2 MP miles felt effortless. Is it normal? Thanks in advance!
  • Options

I'm trying to get into P&D type training, endurance mode. Ran 12 miles at 8:20 pace last weekend for a 33 mile week. 13 or 14 planned this sunday for 36/37 in total (I hope), all at slow pace. Did my first 7-mile "general aerobic"-branded run on tuesday lunch - to replace my usual Tempo run.. I am addicted to Tempo runs, but if I hold my discipline today, I'll manage a whole week without one.image  

Cobs are always crusty, right? Baps tend to be soft. And buns - well buns are sweet things, surely, not a kind of bread oll?

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Hello y'all.

I'm with you LtR. I am doing very similar training at the moment - just focusing upon the longer term picture.

Good luck Lorenzo, Abos and anyone else racing this wkend. KINAVIT!

• Options

DM Yes. You will also believe there is no way whatsoever you could possibly run 26.2 miles at your chosen pace, this will be particularly bad on the morning of the race. Once you start you will relax and realise it is on.

Keir Hello.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Dylan man wrote (see)
    Morning all. Taper question if I may. During this last week of taper I have never experienced so many phantom aches and pains, also legs have felt heavy some days. Saying that when I did my dress rehearsal on Wednesday the 2 MP miles felt effortless. Is it normal? Thanks in advance!

All perfectly normal in my experience.  I just believe it to be part of the body's recovery process  Not sure if you strech regularly DM (now is probably not the time to start), but I tend to find it helps overcome some of the stiffness as my body recovers from the training. My last niggles will probably be gone on Sunday morning

Cheers Keir.  

• Options

DM - SOunds like pretyy standard fair for taper - hows the carb loading going?

Toying with a local Tri 1 week after a sub 3hr attempt at VLM - only 400m swim, 25k ride and 5k run. If I cant give it a fair rattle and I aint gonna bother.  I also have Chester half two weeks after that.Thoughts please?

• Options
    Mennania- I like carb loading and I havnt gained weight! Been living off pasta, spaghetti on toast, low flat cream rice and pancakes all washed down with lots of red wine (only joking- water). Still a bit undecided on prerace brekki though. I can tolerate most things for breakfast but think I would struggle with spaghetti on toast or pasta at 5.30am. Was thinking of a whole can of low fat cream rice ( 70g of carbs) and a couple small pancakes 20g each) does this sound ok?
  • Options

Welcome back Keir - I knew you'd be enticed on here as soon as there were some smutty innuendos!! What have you been up to?

I'm with LtR on the difference between a bap and a bun. On the subject, how do you pronounce "scone" (no jokes about the fastest cake in the world, please)

3 gentle miles for me this morning.

Not looking forward to a drive up to Birmingham this afternoon followed by a drive back down after a dinner up there. Not ideal prep for Sunday, but at least I've got 2 reasons not to have a drink.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Personal favorite is thick porridge with lots of honey. Sometimes a banana to nibble on the way.

Not done the Town Moor marathon PMJ but I know the area around Town Moor- they also do a parkrun there. It's fairly flat, green and featureless- I think the mara is several laps. I can think of a lot more interesting places to run a marathon. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Lorenzo: my scone loyalities are divided.  My mum says it one way, my dad the other.

• Options

Porridge sprinkled with raisins and washed down with sports drink, and a banana on the way is as much as I can deal with on race day, although I do carry a bag of  dried fruit with me and am one of the take a gel just before the run people.

1.Scone is supposed to come from the scottish town of Scone, and the scottish pronounciation is one that rhymes with gone.

2. Sgonn is a gaelic term for a whole mouthfull and is pronounced as above.

Its a bit like bath I guess, a north/south divide thing.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Scone, rhymes with con. No arguments.

PMJ Town Moor is pretty flat but is not really a PB course. It is five laps, partly on gravel with some mud. Plus the weather is always bad. Having said that it has many admirable qualities, such as having nothing to do with the Great Run empire, and the chance of refreshment at Minni's personal drinks station.