Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Minni - *Makes cat-growling-type-noise*

RFJ - welcome back and congratulations on knocking the injury on the head and then smashing that HM PB - kepp it consistently consistent and sub- 3:13 should be a shoe-in for you.

Welcome aboard Malcs and Clive - nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Suffice to say that you can already see the level of support, encouragement, wisdom and nonsense that you get on here.

Cold out there today, but gloriously sunny, too. 11M, which represents the longest run I've put in this season (post spring/summer). 30M this week which I hope to build to 40 by the end of the month in readiness for another marathon campaign in the New Year - starting 1st January early doorsimage.

• Options

14.6 miles in a quickish 7:11. Including last 4.6 at 6:55 mm pace. Calculates out to 3:08:30 mara. I was progressively quicker, but never quite managed any miles at 6:51. Still a nice marker prior to starting full training.

Annoyingly it gives me 45.95 for the week. I have thought about going out for an extra 0.05, but I am not that sad (I hope). 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Nice going Ant/Scooby. Great shape at this stage Scooby.

Solid 15 for me today. First half at MP + 60, 2nd half MP + 30. Pretty windy but feeling pretty comfortable.38 for week. Certainly getting stronger.

By Thursday I'll know if I'm in the Target 26.2 team and then I can know for sure what my A Race is.

Glad to see Clive and Malcs have settled in here. Told you you'd get all the advice you need.
  • Options

Turkey Trot HM for me today. Initially I said the target was sub 90 with no heroics, the revised it to MP, without specifying if that was latest MP, PB MP or hoped for future MP. The forecast was for driving rain and up to 40mph winds, so I wasn't convinced any of those targets would happen, but the rain cleared up before the start, and although it was pretty damned windy, it certainly wasn't 40mph. 

I ran it with my nemesis from the summer who was also hoping for a similar time. It was going really well until we hit the hill at 10.5 miles, straight into the teeth of the wind. The hill is about a mile long and fairly steep, but the wind was my main issue. Up until that point we were definitely on for sub 90. By 11.5 miles it wasn't so sure, and there's another big hill to the finish line to contemplate. Some downhill here was welcome, but still running into the wind so not the easy ride I'd hoped for. 

We came in pretty much together, although Nat pipped me to the line. Knowing we were 5th and 6th I wasn't too worried about chasing her down. Prizes for the first three only. 1.29.02 for me. The effort in the last few miles was higher than MP, but for December, on a hilly course and in a stiff wind I'm fairly happy with that. So in April I just need to run that same pace for twice the distance, but with more training behind me, no hills and no howling gale. I think it's on! 

I didn't spot KR anywhere though. 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Great run Speedy - especially in those conditions. Great to be running so well a tthis time of year! Sub 3 it is then! Nice report as well.

• Options

I am informed that this photo was taken just after the top of the last hill, about 100m from the finish:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522564_437647769634421_1611659927_n.jpg

I don't look too knackered and my form looks ok to my untrained eye. Also encouraging!

• Options

Great report Speedy and cracking time. Once the mind believes the body will follow.

Nice LSR DS2

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Welcome back to RFJ, and welcome to Clive
    Good solid running from Ant, AR, DS2, Scooby (not sad eh? even tho' you record your weekly miles to the 1/100) ? image
    Nice mudlarking from Lorenzo & Col.
    Speedy
    - good report & pic - and you're right - very encouraging result at this juncture.
    Minni - 16 done & dusted? 
    7 miles negotiating sheet ice & rutted paths yesterday gives me a mighty 27 mile week in 3 outings - 4 run week coming up  . . .

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome Clive, you seem to have the basics so stick around and you will prosper. We'll also be able to ask you about all about our injuries image

I hear they changed the course on your planned race Minni to avoid the icy tops.

Speedy, a fine run- you do look pretty relaxed in this photo.

Well after three slack weeks I decided to establish base camp for the VLM with 18 miles this morning. Just a plodding 9 min mile pace but gave me confidence and nudged me up to another 30 mile week.   

• Options

Well run, Speedy (and as I said on The Other Thread, welcome aboard the sub 3 train from the Champs start!).

Welcome Clive  and Malcs.

Avon XC champs for me.  Not sure on finishing position because they didn't hand out tokens, but the important thing is that the pace was about 20s/mile faster than last week.  Still don't feel quite 100% after the cold, but the main thing is that I felt much more like 95% fit than the 75% fit I felt last week!  4th scorer for the club and fingers crossed we packed well enough...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Speedy - great HM today and good to hear you sounding very positive.

Clive - North Northumberland.

I hadn't heart that OO but was glad I ditched out anyway. There was a biting wind here today and with all that mud and ice it would have been a miserable 12 miles.

So, 16 on the road instead, avg 8:48 with the last 3 miles the fastest, which is normally what happens, bringing my total this week to 58. image
  • Options

Sterling performances from speedy and Jools. Nice LSR from Minni. Ladies leading the way this weekend clearly.

15 for me at 7.50s with the wind and rain and hills this morning. All feeling quite ok to be fair.

• Options
    Well done to everyone with long runs today! My two this weekend have been 5 & 4 miles respectively image

In defence have been working and had 2 hours sleep so far too. Tried heart rate zones first time and felt quite good....

Definitely going to stick around irrespective if result doesn't go the right way image
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Continued thanks for the welcome backs..... all I will say is sometimes its worth taking time out and looking at other targets, its worked for me...image

Good running Speedy

Welcome to Clive and Malcs too.

Can confirm with Speedy that the wind was a sod today, especially in my 10k race at 4k and 8k, where I lost a total of about 20-30 secs at least... the target was to get a sub 39 which is still a way of my PB (37:32 from 3.5 years ago), finshed with 39:09, so reasonably happy with that at the end of season and in the middle of base training.... (was thrashed by Jnr though who got a 3 mins PB with 37:50 - on the back of no training this week due to a cold... the joys of being a 17 Y/O...)

Take care

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcomes. Still feel a little out of my depth here around all you speedsters! 

Minni - that ice looks lethal! I bet you were tempted to have a little slide though...come on...confess!  ;)

• Options
    Welcome all new posters, learn to tell the good advice from the (large amounts of) nonsense and you will prosper

Welcome back RFJ, very nifty halves, obviously a good recovery from those injuries, 3.13 looks much more than do-able off such a good base of speed.

Nice long runs being logged, and nice one Speedy/Joolska too. Minni you are showing your true northern-ness by getting out in that weather.

Lorenzo - there must be a pic of you covered in mud...

Mixed weekend down in Kent, not actually all that cold so I got in a slow 21m on

Fri then pitched up at Orpington parkrun on Sat. Very welcoming bunch of folks, the fast people must all have gone Xmas shopping as surprisingly I snagged the V50 course record albeit with a not very fast time. Not a record that will endure. Then I saw that the overall course record belongs to some bloke called Jason with a superfast sub-16 time - anyone heard of him? Then another 8m today to make it 50 for the week.

Remember it is a long time till those spring maras, don't go mad and get injured or knackered too soon.
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Nice going Poacher. Glad you found the Orpington bunch friendly. We mostly are down here.

Where is RJ?
  • Options

No kidding Poacher - nice course record by the way. Next 3 weeks are official 'rest' weeks. I will run whenever I feel like it, and only when I feel like it. No mileage targets. I'm volunteering to do timekeeping at the intervals session on Tuesday, and volunteering again on Saturday for Parkrun, which should help to keep me out of trouble image

Where is our Jase these days? 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Speedy - meant to say, the form looks very good in that picture you posted.

Good warning Poacher. I need to be careful myself. Easy to get carried away and still meant to be in base mode.
  • Options

Well dione on the race Speedy and a good time for the course & time of year.

I had planned to race and had all my kit & number ready last night, but did not start, so quite gutted after putting in a bit of training & hill work recently. After 2 weeks of a cold that has now turned into an infection (green snot) and headaches I couldn't bring myself to run a half marathon in that condition. A shame really as I had transferred a  number from an injured Clubmate.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats poacher, always nice to set a record. I'll be joining you in the 50 camp in 24days image

• Options

Form does look good Speedy, saw that photo on facebook and it was tagged by parkrun and thought it was odd as it was out on the road, makes more sense now.

Managed a run yesterday after no running for two weeks: my runs over the last month have been:
    11/11 X-C race
    23/11 3 mile tester
    24/11 parkrun
    25/11 X-C race
    27/11 5k race
    30/11 3 mile tester
    09/12 X-C race

for a grand total of 27 miles.

Yesterday's race was 39:05 and a year ago same course 37:04 at the end of a 52 mile week. Seems that if I keep the cardio up not running I can just about sustain some level of form, now need to see if I can get the running going again.

No chance of a spring marathon now (this time last year I was base building and between weeks with a 19 mile (@7:01 pace) and a 20 mile (@7:23) and may even can the plans for a spring half and start to look at the summer short runs.

• Options

AR - excellent lsr. Good luck with the mara training.
    Lorenzo - that 10k does sound a bit brutal - great result. And good to hear someone supporting a non-league team. My local team went bust too a couple of years ago, but without making the dizzy heights of league football.
    OOlg - good parkrunning from you and your daughter.
    RFJ - welcome back - that hamstring injury sounds nasty. Glad to hear you're back on course for VLM and in good form too by the sounds of it.
    Minni - great pic. Sure you didn't fancy sliding down?
    EFC-Col - good XC running.
    Ant - nice progress. Watched the MT video yesterday, you star!
    SD - great MLR there. Should be a confidence booster.
    DS2 - And a good MLR for you too. Are you getting nervous yet? Good luck.
    Speedy - congrats on the sub 90; nice report too.
    Birch - good to hear things are coming along well.
    Jools - more good XC running.
    Minni - clocking up some good mileage there!
    Poacher - Jason? Na, never heard of himimage Well done on the real course record.
    KR - get well soon.
    PMJ - are you thinking of an autumn mara instead?
    Overslept this morning and did 7 miles far quicker than I ought to have, including 5 miles tempo. Wrist slapped.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Knight rider - doesn't sound good that! Take care and get yourself better!

PMJ - That's a shame but it's good that you've kept a decent level of fitness. Are you still cycling? have you shaved those legs yet?image

Gul - I'm trying to keep things in perspective to be honest. One of the guys in one of the other categories is a surgeon (in fact he's a newbie on here) and he was working nearly all weekend and it struck me that, as much as I'd like to win - and I really would - there are far more important things. Also, I have now realised that even though some of the candidates haven't posted on forums in the past they are getting everyone they know to sign up and vote so I think that it's probably out of my hands. Whatever will be will be. Should know Thursday, but if anyone hasn't voted I would appreciate it!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Poacher - my wife was at the Orpington park run on Saturday too. It was her first time and she really enjoyed it. She wasn't too happy about the mud though image

I had only heard about them recently through the forums. My wife heard about it through a friend at her exercise classes.

How many of you do these? 

• Options
    Hmm, sounds disappointing PMJ although you never know. Keep an open mind for now. With your existing endurance base you might respond really quickly to a short, sharp campaign.

Malcs, my nearest park run is 25miles away and time clashes with parental taxi duties so rarely get there unfortunately. They are a really useful addition to your running though and lots of the folks on here are regulars.

Well done Poacher!

This week I will mostly be "winter vomiting"!

Unfortunately so are the rest of the family and it's my sons 18th today - might need to postpone the more serious celebrations until next weekend...
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Slokey - that's a nightmare. Hope you all recover and it doesn't ruin your son's birthday!

Malcs - I'm a member of Parkrun at Whitstable but both Bexley and Orpington are similar distances away. Like Slokey, I am usually on taxi duty on a Saturday morning as well so hard to get to. Perhaps we should both aim to get to the Orpington one soon. Be good to meet up again!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That sure is a long rest PMJ and great you can only a couple of minutes considering. My parkrun times are down about 30 seconds and I only cut back to 30 miles a week! I'm going to use the the Christmas holidays to put in a couple of high mileage weeks, including my run up Skiddaw on New Years day.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

OO - how is the countdown to the big milestone birthday going? I feel, having set a goal to run one on my 50th that I'm already counting down and it's 16 months away!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - sure, I'm up for that - I'll see how long I can keep up with you for! image