Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Eyup, Malcs - sound advice already - and your experience so far isn't wasted - it has led you to this point, and as TR says, things are about to get better. Like many, my first mara was a horror show for the last 8 miles or so, but once I sought advice from experienced exponents of the distance (well before internet forums existed), I was able to eventually make the most (nearly) of what I've got.
    All the best. 

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

No mention of marathon running with a fruity hat Poacher?

Badbark - just looked through your 20 week (140 day) programme. I am concerned about the Saturday of week 14. I reckon the 1 rest day could undermine the 139 running days. Perhaps you should put in at least an easy 5 in there instead? image

• Options
    Have now signed up for TCCSTFTeam - my commiserations to all of you....
  • Options

Welcome to Malcs, the only thing I can add is that if I did all  my lsrs at half slower than MP and half at MP my legs would probably ache too!

Badbark - one intense programme - good luck with it image

I did 6 hilly miles this am at 8mm. It was quite pleasant - had to take my coat and gloves off at the end. Works do tonight so it looks like the weeks total is going to be 43m for the week.

• Options

Thanks for all the ‘welcome back’ comments everyone.

Welcome aboard Malcs. Great advice given from everyone 

Keir – LOL! I’m using the programme as a rough guide and it peaks at 87 miles while I peak at 75 and I have a rest day every 7 to 10 days. This is the book I got the schedule from - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Faster-5k-Marathon-Coach/dp/0767928229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354877394&sr=8-1

The book attempts to teach you to be your own coach and therefore run to your own limits. Certainly not for beginners but worth a read for anyone with a few years of running experience and multiple marathons completed.

It’s certainly helped me improve considerably over shorter distances recently.

• Options

I’ve uploaded the level 2 Hudson Marathon plan to here - http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/4906182/file.html

As some peps have pointed out level 3 is pretty damn intense and my own personal plan has a mixture of level 2 and 3 runs. 

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Cheers for the link BB. I've added it to my Xmas list.

• Options

Thanks for all the ‘welcome back’ comments everyone.

Welcome aboard Malcs. Great advice given from everyone 

Keir – LOL! I’m using the programme as a rough guide and it peaks at 87 miles while I peak at 75 and I have a rest day every 7 to 10 days. This is the book I got the schedule from - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Faster-5k-Marathon-Coach/dp/0767928229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354877394&sr=8-1

The book attempts to teach you to be your own coach and therefore run to your own limits. Certainly not for beginners but worth a read for anyone with a few years of running experience and multiple marathons completed.

It’s certainly helped me improve considerably over shorter distances recently.

• Options

Some things merit repetitionimage

10M and then sports massage for me last night.  11M planned at lunchtime: a daytime MLR in December = a marathon runner's treat image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Wow - Jools, you certainly are putting the miles in. Is your much better.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I believe there is a fast mentor available.....

HERE IS YOUR CHANCE !!!!

Have you been shunned by Asics?

Stuck in a training rut?

Got a marathon place and can only run round the block??

Busy busy busy and no time to train??

I have six lovely mentors all lined up and chomping at their Mizunos to get involved

All you have to do is to tell us why you should be given the prize of the millenium

YOUR PITCH

Should not threaten to harm small animals
    Should not send people to sleep or need a screen break

It will contain your hopes for a marathon time
    It will contain your marathon entry confirmed
    It will contain a brief running history of recent times and pb's

We would love to hear all about YOU, strengths, weaknesses and limitations

---------------------------------------

This thread will close on Monday 17th December and then Kittenkat and her esteemed Adjudicator(s) will cogitate the pitches and we will then announce the LUCKY SIX on Christmas Eve

Asics 6??  As they said on Channel 4 ... thanks for the warm up     image

Click on the link below to be taken to the pitching page.....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/the-rw-forum-six/234971.html

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

No word limit? I'll start planning my 12,000 word response tonight. image

• Options

DS2: I've had to juggle my P&D sessions about this week; ideally it would have been 7M Tuesday, 11M Weds, 5M Thurs, 10M Fri.  Instead it's been 5M Monday, 7M Weds, 10M Thurs and 11M Friday.  Heigh ho.  Neck is much better!

• Options

No Minni, you can't tempt me into running a marathon before 2014!

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Go on Gul, you know you want to.
  • Options

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, as only kinda got involved with the ASICS Target 26.2 (I'm in the busy lifestyle category). It is really interesting reading the advice from everyone about how to train. I've done 2 marathons and ran 3:23 in Berlin in September off training 4-5x week, with a max of 45 miles in a week.

Do people think I will be able to get my time down to 3:15 (BQ and GFA VLM) on that basis, particularly if I get a good base in now?

• Options

Hi Clive and Welcome,

I got a 3.24 down to 3.13 in 6 months so it is readily do-able. The peeps on here are going to want a lot more info from you inc shorter distance pbs and what your other mara was and what your training plan is for the VLM.

• Options

Hi Mennania,

My times are

5k 19.29 (May 2012)

10k 41.57 (Oct 2011)

HM 1.35.19 (May 2011)

Marathons Amsterdam 2011- 3.32.43, Berlin 2012 3:23:32

I reckon my HM time could come down as not raced properly at this distance; I've done a few as training runs eg 1:37.19 in early September as a fast finish long run

I used a programme from Greg Mcmillan, and if I dont get picked for the ASICS Target 26.2 team, then possibly would use it again since it seemed to work and I didn't hit the wall either time. I would struggle to train more than 5 days a week with work and home commitments..

• Options
    Ds2 - just stuck in my vote for you squire. Good luck! How old we're you when you did your mar PB?

Still struggliing to get going up here. ....need to pull my finger out
  • Options

Welcome Clive - I reckon that if you're prepared to put the effort in over the next few months you can get down to sub 3:15. Looking at your times and your conversion from 5K to longer distances, I'd suggest that you need to focus on the long run and the medium length marathon pace run as you've clearly got some core speed to be able to do a sub 19:30 5K

5 days a week should be fine as long as you can get at least 3 quality runs in.

When you did the 3:23 at Berlin what was your split like? Any particular race strategy?

Brutal 10K for me in the morning - it already looks as though it'll be a combination of cold, wet and muddy. image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi Clive - I was directed here by DS2 and I have to say the folks here have been immensely helpful. I feel like I've had a year's worth of coaching in just a couple of days.

It's like that scene from The Martix where they plug Keanu into the computer and 5 secs later..."I know jujitsu!" image  Well maybe not quite like that but I'm going to be completely changing my training as a result.

How was the on call btw? 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Fraser - thanks. Much appreciated! I was 29 and 11/12.

Malcs/Clive - stick around. These guys know everything.

Ran at work today on a relatively flat course. really enjoyed being able to settle in a rythm.6.77 in 52.20 with 4 at MP.
  • Options
    Welcome Clive - what Lorenzo said!

TAR, my foot is still banjaxed and seeing no signs of improvement so no chance of being ready for the Langdale Pudding race image Thanks for the offer though, most appreciated.
  • Options

Thanks Guys for making me welcome!

Lorenzo- in Berlin I did a negative split 1:43:43, then 1:39.49. I almost always do negative splits in all my races as scared of going out too quick. Mind you in Amsterdam the first time I ran the 1st 5k in 29mins!

I do struggle with the long runs a bit, but think that is more a reflection of coming to this so late (I only started running again in May 2010) and starting to develop a longer base since last summer. My programme tends to be a long run, a tempo-intervels session, easy run and one or 2 recovery runs. Should I change the focus slightly towards longer runs?

Malcs, DS- great to see you guys here too. Hope the rest of the week goes everyones way image

Thanks for asking about the on call- was operating till 11.30 last night , then from 8.this morning till 2ish. I don't technically finish till Monday morning so going to go for a short round the block now before I go home, then got at least a few hours operating already lined up for the weekend image

• Options
    Clive. IMHO your blend of runs within the week is about right. What fraction of the weekly mileage is represented by the LSR? Do you do any fast finish or progressive or interval type long ones eg 5 easy/ 5steady/5 easy/5MP

Conventionally the other way you would prob improve is to try to squeeze a medium long say 14 miler on Wednesdays after Tuesday's interval session??

Make sure you have a couple of beers to steady your hand for theatre tomorrow;-)

Hope the foot settles SJ

Read your pitch Keir on the "not the Asics" competition thread. Nice one. You're hired
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hello Fraser image why you struggling to get going? Come on - get with the game!image I've spent the whole week running round and round a 1k lap. Honestly I've lost count how many times I've done it this week.
  • Options
    Thanks minni. That's what a need. A damned good kick up the arse
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've also been doing a fair amount of 5:30am and 9pm runs. There really is no excuse!image. What races have you got coming up?
  • Options
    Minni- That's part of the problem - none! Need to get and enter something. In your neck if the woods just now. Going to be icy on Sunday methinks. Not many street lights here eh
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    If its icy I will ditch the fell race. It's long and hilly and I will be thigh deep in mud - none of that I mind but there's a stretch on flagstone steps coming down from quite high . I'll not risk that in the ice. Last time I did it I finished covered in blood!

You need to get some races entered. And you need to be aware that you might drop down to the sub4 thread if you don't get out there.....image