Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

My cough is slowly disappearing.

Long slow run today....  thats at 90 mins and I only flet it for the last 15 mins, so I'll hold it here for a week or two before slowly building it up again.

I bought the TI books / dvd, and did not get on with it.
    This year I have gone for some 1:1 coaching and I think its made a massive difference

• Options
    Done, Sweating loads throat is in bits, legs feel great for a run, I feel great for a run so all is good. Swim tomorrow fingers crossed bit nerves about swim might only be able to do one length image. Re-sceduled training plan to start on Monday 10th Jan image think I'll start at week two base. Will do bit on bike(1hr) and slow long run over weekend (1.5hrs)
  • Options
    45 mins nice and slow lots of cr@p flowing from my nose all the way roundimage again feel better for it so I will just keep these easy sessions going till I feel 100% againimageone good thing aout feeling crap my old Choccy labrador Tara can keep up so she gets out for a run imagethe pace is usually to much for her at her age image she used to be a monster training partner upfor a run no matter what the weather and loved sea swims in fact Wilson the Mighty Irondog is a bit of a feeble ponce in comparrison image
  • Options

can you lot keep your germs to yourselves please..........

after swimming I seem to have a sore throat that makes me think I'm going down with something...but doesn't quite materialise........

off for a club run tonight after mucking out the horseimage

• Options

hey guys just dropping in!!  Had a few calls into the office today re increase in entry prices.  IM Wales have NOT increased prices yet.  We deceided our late entry was March 1st not Jan, as many people a little brassick after christmas!  Hope all the training is going well.  Up the pirates!

Can I have a contact for the pirates team travelling down? The office here will sort official Pub / Venue for you all and supporters!

• Options
    8Iron that is good news as I have een delaying entry till i am sure my hamstring prolem has cleared up
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback folks re Swim TI.

I'm in all of a qwandry, I reckon I either need to go oneimagene as UltraIronwolf suggested to get this swim technique going or ditch it. I tried again today and just kept sinking in the drills. It's soooooo embarrassing image.

So I have found a few sites that have coaches. I'll price these up and see how the logistics would work for a few sessions, I'm not up for the whole weekend workshop thang. With my 'natural' style I was cranking out 2 X 2km swims a week before Christmas, now reading this book I need to go to the 'can't swim shallow area' and flap about on my back....tough leaving your pride on the side of the pool image

I'll be running tomorrow, circa 9 miles, to get the body moving for real. I did two marathons last year and have a half booked in March, so this is going back to my so called comfort zone.

Then to complete the trio I am waiting for peddles for my bike. Bike and turbo are sitting waiting to start that part of the journey.

aaahhh for Dubai over these winter months, blue skies, longer days...
  • Options

Tri-ing

Regarding TI sinking in the drills if your kick is carp or non existent you will not get the speed to stop you sinking a short pair of fins is the answer although even with them TI never suited me perhaps you just need to forget TI and polish the problem araes on your "natural style" my last IM swim was a 1:10 down a lot from my worst swim of 1:44 I just really focussed on drills in the pool and if I was getting tired and my stroke was going to pot, i would stop and sort myself out and start again

• Options
    Evening all
    Good to see everyone's starting to get to grips with some kind of regular training. I'm midway through the 2nd week of my 30 week plan and so far things seem to be going well so far i've only missed a bike session on new years day. This was due to the fact that my training always suffers after i've been drinking. This lead me to take the decision to lay off the drink until i get to the finish in germany.
  • Options

Hi all,

Well done to the ill peeps for battling through it, hope you start to feel better soon.  I did 14 miles on the bike today, followed by a 4 mile run - I'm really going to have to work on spending more time on the bike though!  Good luck with your swim Silver, I'm sure it will come back to you soon enough.

Tri_ing - I haven't read the book so I don't really understand all you've been saying - but can I ask what is wrong with the style you have and is it essential that you change it if it was working for you?

• Options

Hope all ill people are feeling better.

Did Fink's Swim set #3 for the competitve program this morning. Seemd to go on for eternity. Going to take a late lunch and get 30 minutes in on the turbo which will complete my training for the day. Yesterday's 45 minute run session never happened as my meeting got changed to 6pm so moved my rest day which was scheduled to be Sunday to yesterday. C'est la vie. But so far so good this week, no missed sessions so far. Fingers crossed.

• Options

1500m swim last night.

Managed a very slow and careful 7km plod today wearing an ankle brace to protect my injury, watched where I put my feet and made sure to put the bad one down flat and very lightly. Seemed to be ok., but I'm not planning on overdoing things.

Weights and core exercises done after.

• Options
    UW - Patience is sooo hard!  I tore my hamstring pretty badly on Jan 1 and its driving me mad! Can swim with a Pull buoy so just doing 2500m a day in drills.  My catch should be half decent, although IM NICE looking off the cards if i cant get on the bike soon.  Have a place at Germany a month later so may head for that!
  • Options

Sixty five miles on the bike for me today, (friday is the weekend) it was cold by Dubai standards. Amazing how much bike fitness you can lose in two weeks, that was harder than it should have been.

Orca: Tri season here runs from September to May, there are six sprint tris, two olympics and Abu Dhabi International with its rather strange mix of distances 3/200/20 1.5/100/10 (K's). No restrictions on clotjing for tri or running but women running in the streets might get hissed or spat at if in shorts and vest, never any grief at races though or if in a group, also rather dependent on where in the city you are.

Like every where in the world Tri is growing fast here, in the winter the weather is fantastic but cycling can be a bit hairy  I nearly got taken out by local in a 4 x 4 on a roundabout today.

• Options
    Hi to all on this thread hope you dont mind me joining you ,just flicking through found it quite inspiring as i am contemplating i.m henley as its my 50th,managed london olympic distance last year ,normally run marathons and started biking 3 years ago.very impressed by newbies going straight in for i.m fairplay.any tips on training plans gratefully recieved,
  • Options
    oooh henley not IM but challenge.  IM wales following week.  If you can bike and run; your swim is over 1500 mow, so should be no problem! Go get 'em!
  • Options
    Thanks 8iron ,i will enter ,but after reading threads now spoilt for choice ,now like the look of outlaw.never realised they are not all called ironman as always liked to imagine if and when i finish having been called out you are an ironman,is this the case and can you not say you are an ironman?
  • Options
    Peter that's what sold Wales to me as an Ironman, seeing as it's my first. After that though I'm pretty sure i'll probably go for cheaper/different long distance events       *getting ahead of myself now* image
  • Options

after that distance you should be called Mr Ironman!!

Outlaw great, smaller numbers, but cheaper.  IM bigger numbers, lot more expensive and more of a show I guess! Plus you get the "You are an Ironman!"!! 

• Options
    10 week base training plan kicks off for me next week ... fitness here i come image
  • Options

so, even though people are only starting their training.... what times are everybody expecting to finish in? I am guessing these will severely change as the months progress

• Options
    Target ... 12:30(ish)
  • Options
    K.P: in starting swimming all over again I thought I would take time to read up on things for triathlon. The TI approach features every now and again. I bought the book, read it over Christmas break and I like the idea & logic of reduced stroke rate, better bouyancy, less struggle and most importantly greater efficiency. I am looking into oneimagene lessons but may ditch the idea for a future year as I don't want to spend a few months flapping about...I want to use the early enthusiasm (Ridgeback controlled) to get the show going.

Shaun, ditto here for my choice of IM Wales. I didn't fancy Bolton but wanted to be an Ironman. I know it's only branding but hey it could be the only one I do. BTW although it's my choice I am yet to actually register- I had problems with my knees cycling many years ago (over 10yrs) and have only just tried again on a bike with the family (little kids poootling around). When I can get some time under my belt I will register...waiting for the peddles.

How times have changed from when I used to get a bike as a kid, it came without peddles - who would have thought image
  • Options
    Tri_ing

I did to TI weekend and i saw an improvement in effort expended , i dont do all the TI drills but the weekend gave me plenty to think about. i am not a fast swimmer but i no longer feel like an exhausted drown rat after a long swim and in the long term i dont have to spend lots of time worrying about the swim
  • Options
    I don't do TI specifically, but my own sort of adaptation of it. It does feel good, but like WildWill, I'm not quick, but I feel I'm efficient, and got out of the water at Bolton last year without any real fatigue.
  • Options
    KP, bad news I'm afraid after feeling good after my run I spent all night in the bathroom with Diarrhoea and sickness. I think I'm doomed I've not been ill for ages until this last month and I've had everything image.
  • Options

Guys n girls

Do not get hung up on this brand cr@p image it goes totally against the original ethos of the Ironman concept ie a bunch of guys rocking up to find out who was the best the swimmer, cyclist or runner by combining all three. Do the distance and you are an an Ironman regardless of who is running the raceimage ironman was a term coined by John Collins to describe the race he had invented long before it was kidnapped by the corporate copyright monster that is WTC imagewether you do IM, Challenge, Outlaw or one of the smaller independants you swim 2.4, cycle 112 and run 26.2 you are and always will be an IRONMANimage

First timers beware of setting yourselves times your overall prority is to toe the line in one peice and cross it before the cut-off having had a positive experience any finish is a PBimage The trick is to better your time significantly when you actually race one the next time when you have a clue of what you are actually in forimageimageimage

stinky cold still hanging in there but i am ignoring it got a 1 1/2 hour run booked in tomorrow image

• Options
    Silver Trucker wrote (see

KP, bad news I'm afraid after feeling good after my run I spent all night in the bathroom with Diarrhoea and sickness. I think I'm doomed I've not been ill for ages until this last month and I've had everything image.
    Hang in there mate plenty of time to crack all this training theres a lot of bugs going around at the moment no reason to panic yet stacks of time to safely build a base to be able to crack ironman.  funny enough I had a bad tum last night but it cleared by the morning got absolutely soaked on my dinnertime run though which probably didnt help my cold recoveryimage
  • Options
    Agree with Max and something that has been discussed with the Forum 6, not to set goals from the outset but get a few weeks/months into training and then see what your goals are likely to be, you will have a much better idea of where you are and what you are likely to improve on than you do now

• Options
    Evening all.
    Not much Tri training going on at the mo, did bike yesterday and I might swim tomorrow.
    I've got Gloucester mara in a couple of weeks so have been working towards that.
    Soon as that's done though I'm gonna become a proper afflete image