Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Just read the Tri Europe plan if I were a first timer I would beware as it starts in reasonaby heavy for some people and assumes you have already got a good base where as the fink thing gives you a base build up from virtually zilch also far to much intervals in there for me that would be a direct route to injury I do a bit of interval training in the last 6 weeks before taper but most of my training is at or just under (for recovery sessions) my predicted Ironman pace but as always horses for courses did much more biking in 2010 and less swimming and running than previous years mega PB and the run felt great so more of the same for meimage

Back to work today sitting down most of the day and hamstrings are singing againimage managed a nice 5 miler at lunchtime but stinky cold like feeling got worse in the aftrenoon so binned the pool straight home big macaroni cheese and veg curled up under a slanket with the shivers drinking lots of orange juice early night tonight i thinkimage 

• Options
    Hope your feeling better soon RBM             Went for 4.5miles tonight, felt a bit rough and the calfs are bit tight but otherwise training going well. Joining my local Tri Club so I can get some swim coaching.
  • Options
    Hi back in the land of the sun not that its that warm at the moment, dived in the pool yesterday and it was positively chilly. Swam & ran yesterday, same today as its club speedwork night, bike tomorrow early doors. Must sort out my training plan, Iron fit intermediate level for me!
  • Options

Did my first proper brick session (not involving a turbo) yesterday, 15 mile mountain bike then 3 mile run staright off the bike. The first half of the run was relatively tough, but the second half felt great.

So I reckon that's me pretty much IM ready.

• Options
    Really bunged up with cold image so a rest day for me which was on the cards anyway I will get out hell or high water tommorrow as I usually find sweating a cold out works for me , today my head is so bunged up I have a throbbing earache so a nice chillax and a walk in the park for lunchhour to get some fresh air down my swede image
  • Options

Sorry you're still feeling rubbish, rbm.

I have to renew my gym membership tonight, now that's really going to hurt.

• Options

Took my injured ankle swimming last night and managed to complete all but one bit of the tri club session, I couldn't do the one involving a 6-beat leg kick as I swam using a pull bouy all night!

Going to try a gentle session on the indoor bike this afternoon.

• Options
    i am realy lucky as i am ex services i can use the facilities at the local barracks - gym, CV Suite, 25m pool etc all for the princely sum of £55 a year ....happy days  image
  • Options

Sweet.

Mine costs a bomb, and it's only got a 20m pool, but maybe the outlay will prove incentive to keep me going.

• Options
    Well my plan to start training on the 2nd still hasn't started yet due to my cold/flu/sore throat. Although going to try and get out for a small 3 mile run tonight fingers crossed. Will get my new bike out hopefully tomorrow (not used it yet and itching to get out on it) will prob start swimming Thursday.
  • Options

After 18 months away I was reintroduced to the cruel beauty of the Brick Session this morning. 30 minutes turbo followed by a quick pop around the block, as per Dr. Fink's orders.

One thing I have learnt = after turboing in the living room -  it can be very very cold at 7am in short one-layered clothing

Another thing = running after turboing is a different animal from fresh running, even after such a  short duration.

I guess that's just how unfit I am at the minute.

45 minute run home from work today as well image

• Options
    It's funny how he slips in a little brick so early in the programme, isn't it? I completely finked-out yesterday on his "early bird" advice: 45 mins on the turbot at 05:30 followed by a 2 mile trot under floodlights. i'm not sharing this sort of info with friends or work colleagues yet for fear of being shunned/sectioned.
  • Options

haha yeah as I was running around after cycling this morning, 36 weeks away from racing... I did have to question myself. 15 minutes running as well... is it really that beneficial for an IM plan?

• Options

Shaun Its early days just getting your body used to training again so I would say the 15 minutes are benificial it will soon build up  image I really love the easy not to long base sessions it just eases me into structured training again and actually slows me down from all the daft unstructered stuff I have been doing off season it lets my body sort out any niggles before the hard work really begins

in build/ peak I like to chuck in 45 mins to an 1:30  on the end of every weekly long ride gets me used to running tired

• Options

Hi all,

Sorry to hear you're still suffering rbm, hope you feel better soon.  Hope your ankle improves soon as well UI, glad you are able to keep active in some ways. 

I swam this morning.  Should have been on a late today but I'm on a training course for a couple of days so get the added bonus of the track tonight too.

Hope you feel better tomorrow Silver trucker and enjoy your new bike.  My turbo has arrived.  However, I'm the world's least practical person so I'm not even going to open the box until the weekend when I've got some time to study it and try and build it properly - it'll probably take me three times longer than it should!

• Options
    Swimming. I haven't swum properly in over 15 years (in my early twenties) and when I did I used to do it for some general health doing about 1-2km's a few times a week.

Haven't trawled around the web reading various Triathlon sites I came a across a recommended swimming book - Total Immersion.

Over the Christmas break this made for some good reading...all ready for my first session today. It's principles seem very interesting and well suited to Tri...lends itself to efficiency, ease, reduce stroke rate and less kick.

Anyway my session didn't go well, it seems like it will be quite tough to learn this. I cracked out 1km of my old/'natural' style just to prove I can still swim fine.

So my question(s) have any of you tried this swimming style and if so did you stick at ?
  • Options

Sorry to hear about the lurgies and injuriesbeing suffered at the mo. A bit of care and r&r should sort them.
    I decided to kick off my Finky style plan early and just extend the base period by a couple of weeks. I feel i'm missing out if i don't image
    11/2hr bike yesterday and a steady run 30 min run today with some core and squat work . i'll start off steady and get used to the volume again after so much time out. feel great so far  image

• Options
    11/2? so 5.5 hours... nice going for week 1 image
  • Options
    Aah ooops, meant 1.5hrs image yesterday and 30 min run today. shame, 5.5hrs would nearly finish my training for this wk.
  • Options
    Tri_ing - there are various views on the forum about TI swimming. Wild Will did a course and improved his speed considerably. There are several others who've had success with it. I took a course and got slower, doesn't suit me. However, it's my opinion that books and videos are o.k. but not a substitute for actual coaching in a pool. You cannot see your own faults so easily but a good coach will spot them immediately and help you to correct them. When I joined our tri club and first went to the coached swimming sessions I could barely swim 1km, now I regularly swim 3 to 4km in our structured training sessions.
  • Options
    Thanks KP I can't wait but looks like I might have to cause my run tonight was scraped again image just to much mucous so decided not to run again. I'm not panicking cause plenty of time but just want to get started.
  • Options

so how annoyed was I when I turned up at the pool this morning before work to find it was closed. The most annoying part was coming into work early!

This may slow down my swimming progress for a few weeks until the pool opens again as there are no other public pools near where I work and I am resisting paying £60-70 for a gym just to use the pool a few times

• Options

I had to fork out tons for just that reason, Shaun.

I find the swimming part of the training the most difficult to plot. The biking and running I can just go out the front door, or make it my commute, but the swimming is much harder to fit in, and you seem to get less return for your time. Buut I am rubbish at it, so at least I should see some improvement for my investment.

• Options

I have decided I'm just going to take full advantage of the free passes that a few gyms are offering at the minute. Ive just registered for a 5 day pass with Fitness First and after that I'll go for the 3 day LA Fitness pass... hopefully my local pool (albeit not a very good one) will hopefully be open after I have taken advantage of all of these.

A list of offers on the MSE website:Money Saving Expert: Gym Discounts

• Options

Tri-ing, I used the total immersion book and I found it did help the efficiency of my stroke. But while I wasn't a competitve swimmer I was very comfortable in the water and found I could by and large complete all the drills as suggested. However I had a coach for my first (and only one to date) IM and looked at my stroke and complained immediately that I'd obviously used Total Immersion as he felt I was reaching too far forward. Overall though, I felt it did me good and the swim is the area I've the least problem with in the IM.

I've started Don Fink's competive program. After a terrible Christmas in terms of training for no good reason other than laziness image I crawled back on the wagon on Monday and am currently repeated Wk 4 of the program. Even though my 30 weeks don't start til next week for Regensberg I started in December because I got sick a lot the last time I trained for IM so I was giving myself a bit of a cushion this time round. My beloved other half set up my iMagic Tacx over the Christmas (even though I got it in October image) so I've just started using that. I know a lot of people here slate turbo trainers and I know there's no substitute for the outdoors but I have to say I'm absolutely loving it. He set it up in the sitting room with a 42" TV screen and it's so much fun. I ordered a bunch of Real Life Videos earlier in the week so I can't wait for them to arrive. I'm planning these will replace long rides during the worst of the cold, wet and windy weather during the winter. By about April I think it's good to get out in all weathers to build up stamina etc but from past experience, I've found long rides in miserable conditions during the winter make me ill.

Ironwolf, what is the name of the book you're using? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

We have water restrictions here (west coast of Ireland) at the moment due to pipe damage during the big freeze so I was afraid the pool wouldn't be open but it was so I got my Fink #3 session in yesterday. Wow, they are quite long! I don't usually use his swim sessions as I swim with the tri club 3 days a week but we're not back for another couple of weeks. I plan on popping in to this forum a lot as I have a feeling I'm going to need the group motivation to keep me going at times.

• Options

Still totally bunged urp with head cold had a massive sinus headache all night I have now got totally fed up with waiting for this to clear so got medieval on its ass and just tried to sweat it out with 40 minutes on the turboimage must say Isweated buckets for little effort and It seems to have loosened up my head a littleimage

I tried the TI stuff and couldnt get it I have had much more success reading thetips on this site but I would love to get some One to One when I get some spare cash

www.swimsmooth.com/

• Options

One of the huge advantages of living in a sand pit is that there are a lot of pools, i have a 25M pool next door to the office which is abit handy at lunchtimes. Its cycling I can't fit in primarily because the roads in Dubai are somewhat dangerous and there is no culture of making allowances for cyclists. Therefore its only really possible to cycle early in the mornings and weekends if you want to live.

I have had 10 sessions of one on one coaching and it has made a huge improvement in my swimming, I will never be front pack but i have least moved up to mid pack in the swims.

I haven't started following Fink plan yet primarily because its full on race season here and I'm already doing more than required at this stage of the schedule, I will parachute myself in in March when the silly season is over.

• Options

Dubai Dave, what's the tri season like in Dubai?

When my sister lived there (Quite a few years ago) they had some mild clothing restrictions (as Western females), I'm guessing that doesn't apply in triathlon?
    Just back from a light weights session in the gym. Main session of a 45 minute run will happen this evening.

• Options
    RBM I'm gonna follow your lead going upstairs now and gonna get changed into my warm gear and get my ass outside for that 3 mile run I keep putting of and tomorrow going to my local pool for my first swim since school image 20years ago scary lol
  • Options

ST

Good Man! you should feel slightly better for itimage  I have just chucked a shed load of decongestant tablets down the hatch and am going to take the dogs out for a very gentle 40min jog in the woods in a bid to persuade this thing to p1ss off and go and annoy someone elseimage

Nice hot Radox bath on returnimage