Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

I went swimming yesterday for the first time for weeks, god it was hard. I tried my normal interval session but couldn't even complete half of it! Going to have another go tonight.

Did a hard 18 miles on my Watt Bike this morning, I've been practising pedalling technique but am really struggling to get it right. I thought I was getting better but then got an email from my coach this morning saying "still need to work on pedalling technique and leg speed"....image

My Jan challenge is to complete a morning exercise session before work Mon-Thurs (Friday is rest day). My challenge is to do this everyday for the month of Jan. I normally really struggle in the morning so I am hoping that this will help me crack that.

Ridge- Love Chrissie's article, she is my inspiration,

Happy new year to all

• Options

IPM Chrissie is one of my heroines just so gutsy and also a great ambassador for our sport,

BTW I am intriged imagehow does your coach monitor your pedalling techniqueand cadence by Email is it something to do with the output of the Wattbike?

talking of chrissie there was an interesting couple of interviews of her old coach  (sutton) on IMTalk, I cant be assed to get into the whole pedo/hes a bad man debate they are currently 4 weeks into a major biff fest on Tripetalk on that particular can of wormsimage again, but there was some interesting stuff on on cadence and run technique for Ironman as regards Chrissie at

http://www.imtalk.me/

seems  chrissie basically is a low cadence big gear pusher which allows her to run fresher of the bike, I tried all this spinning up hills and higher cadence stuff and it didnt work for me imageguess I am more a big chuggy diesel engine than a revvy petrol oneimage

• Options

Ridge - the Watt bike records everything about how you pedal, you can download the session details, I then email them to my coach. The coach was provided by watt bike as part of the competition prize.

I'm naturally a higher cadence person... I think. The more I cycle the more I seem to go at a higher cadence.I've listed to the first half of sutton's interview, must listen to second half.

• Options
    IPM sounds a great prize you will be flying this year thenimageimage
  • Options
    Max - you cadence on the bike shoul ideally match your running cadence. That why Olympic distance athletes spin more, as you have to have a higher leg turnover to run fast. For longer distance stuff it is easier to keep a more consistent power output with lower cadence ie around 80.
  • Options
    Doozer that sounds about right for me I feel much better stomping hills and turning a bigger gear and so far have always finished with a strong marathon with no walking
  • Options
    I too am a Jan Ullrich rather than Lance Armstrong, high cadence wears me out.
  • Options

Hi all,

RBM - they probably went there because it was out of town and no one would be watching what they were up to, well done you for clearing up after them.  Pity they didn't show the same consideration.

IPM that's a great prize.  I had a go on a watt bike before Christmas.  It seems I have a perfect 'figure of 8' cycling pattern, which is apparently as far removed from perfect technique as you can get, even if it did look pretty on the screen - oh well!  It did start to appear more circle like when I really concentrated on it, but after a few minutes I began to drift back into my usual pedalling style.  I guess I've got a lot to work on. Still, plenty of time to go.

I ran just over 28 miles today, it was my final long run before the Gloucester 50k in 3 weeks.  Physically it went fairly well, although I ache a bit now, and my heart rate stayed constant throughout.  However, I had a lot of mental battles today, and it kept crossing my mind to stop, which I'm a bit disappointed and surprised about, as it's not something that usually happens.  I don't know if it was because I was very late setting off so it was getting darker and colder as time went on, or whether I was just having a bad day.  Hopefully it was just a one off, and I managed to keep going, so overall I'm happy to have got to the end.

Hope you all have a good week.

• Options
    I am entered for a 50km race on 29 January but will have to scratch - am now injured and under orders not to run for about 10 days.
  • Options

Bad luck Ultraimage hope you get sorted soon

Did 20 hard , hilly and very muddy montain bike miles this morning then went to the pool with daughter for the first time in weeks only did 30 lenghts just to get into it and test my Waterproof MP3 it works really well and should ease the pain of 50+ lenghts sessions in the pool

• Options
    Which MP3 player have you got RBM? Does it really work well? if so might be a little late xmas pressie to myself.... image
  • Options

PIT I have got one of these I was very sceptical when I got it but it works well I downloaded a mix of music as the replay options are pretty basic on this, it sounds a bit tinny out of water but sorts its self out under water, the earpeices stayed in for my fastest Front crawl ,all in all I am quite impressed especially at the price below

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/+/NUDOLPHIN2GB/NU_Dolphin_Waterproof_2GB_MP3_Player.3296.html?amp3sid=ptds070ufk4455ts765ocm8hc4

• Options

I have the 4GB one from Amazon.cost £60 odd pounds but it was a present...............I'm happy with mine now I have learnt how to lock the controls.........

My plan to do my long bike an long run together on a Monday as well as a swqim later has worked today....

33.25 mile biked.........15.25 miles ran and the 1600m in the pool...............

run felt ok saying that I haven't done much cycling recently..............

not sure how it will work when the sessions get longer but pleased with todays........

recovery run and a swim tomorrowimage

• Options

That's a pretty impressive return in all three disciplines Seren. Nice one. What event are you training for this year?

My 2011 IM training has kicked off (I'm doing IMF in June and IMUK in July). I've sort of planned myself a 24 week program loosely based on Fink principles as I used that book in 2009 for IMCH. My problem is putting enough bike in as I enjoy running and swimming more.

I also got one of those waterproof MP3s for xmas but havent used it yet. Just doesnt seem worth the faff. My wife has used it (interestingly she is the one who bought it for me...). I did however use my new swimovate watch today again for an hour pool swim which really let me just concentrate on technique rather than worry about counting lenghts too. I would recommend them highly.

Good training vibes to all.

• Options
    Evening all.
    Back to normality tomorrow morning after 10 days off work. Managed to get a good 1st week of training in last week as well as finishing off all the outstanding diy jobs round the house.A rest day today so went to the football then tomorrow i'm down for a run and a swim.
  • Options
    i did nothing yesterday, and backed it up with more nothing today!

Training is going well.... image

just waiting for this crappy cold/flu thing to disappear. I am sooooo bored
  • Options
    Get well soon OC...........Ran 8.5 miles the other day , will run tomorrow and maybe bike a bit.
  • Options
    36 week fink style plan started today, with a rest day of course image

Starting slowly to get myself used to training frequencies, will hopefully be the right idea
  • Options

i swam today, but just a whole 1K   image

Just wanted to get to the pool and do some swimming, rather than lots of drills.......

My breathing is still crap.

• Options
    Has anybody had a look at the 20 week simple IronMan plan in this months Triathlete Europe. All seems logical, building week on week, with recovery week every fourth weeks, but less prescriptive than the BeIronFit. Any thoughts?
  • Options

Well done, OC. That's what I'm doing too, sodding the drills and just trying to keep going, whilst others effortlessly sail past me.

Good bit of advice from Coach Gordo, when he says to check your ego at the door. I must look really rubbish swimming and running so slowly, but I need to avoid the temptation to keep up with those around me, and remember what I'm training for. Not that I could do much to improve my swim speed anyway.

• Options
    Tri-umph I will have a look at that when it drops through my door to be honest any plan that is structured, progressive and which features a long swim, run and bike once a week  will get you there I just found The Fink thing when I was a first timer made it a no brainer for me as I did not have a scooby what I was doing a never knew anyone who had done one and I hadnt discovered the font of knowledge that is the PSOFimage easy run and swim for me today feeling a bit topped up with cold image to make matters worse back in workimage 
  • Options
    30 minutes on the turbo this morning to get me back into it, sod that I think I would prefer going out in the cold for 2 hours. Hopefully the weather and light will improve sharpish
  • Options
    I followed the Fink plan for 2010, so I know where I need to be, and what I need to achieve. This 20 week plan just seemed so much easier to understand, and the swim sessions a far less technical.

And Shaun, I'm with you regarding the turbo, but last year I nearly got hypothermia on a cold ride too early in the year, and promised myself I wouldn't do it again, so I just need to suck it up and persevere withe the turbo.
  • Options

Yeah I can handle it once I'm on, its just starting each morning that really gets me.

As it's 36 weeks until IMW I'm kind of looking at the first 6 weeks at least as just a gentle transition from doing nothing to starting IM training, as well as getting some longer runs in early in preperation for Edinburgh Marathon, after which I can go for it on the bike a bit more at the weekends.

And as for swimming..... image

• Options

my plan starts today / tonight (officially yesterday - but that was a rest day!)

can't wait to get this all going - 2011's going to be a great year!

My new turbo makes an unbelievable racket! hopefully that will be a good incentive to get outside as soon as possible!

• Options
    This year I've opted for a 24-week plan from Paul Huddle (Paula Newby-Fraser's coach) and Roch Frey, both coaches and previous pro triathletes - they write a question and answer column in the US version of Triathlete mag. Like most plans I've seen it has the same basic format of adaption, build, recovery, race specific, and taper cycles, but theirs identifies mandatory workouts you must do and other optional ones that you can choose to do or not depending on your time schedule or ability.
  • Options
    UI - I have just got a shiny copy of their book for Christmas and will start reading that on the way home tonight. Even if I don't adopt their plan it should make for good reading and influence as my plan was written primarily off the back of Fink.
  • Options
    On the training plan front, if anyone wants a copy of the BeginnerTriathlete Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced silver plans, FB/PM me with your email address. There's a bunch of plans for other distances in there as well. The BT plans are pretty prescriptive and hours intense but may help with some session examples.