Options

Ironman 2011 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Krypto

Get training for your Ironman on a 30 week program now chuck in some long runs on the month running up to the marathon, you will be well fit for the marathon with less chance of injury from all the IM cross training. Have a couple of easy weeks to recover from the marathon and then get into your peak phase of training for IM France .....jobs a good unimage. I never train specifically for marathons half or full any more and have been getting PB s over the last couple of years at 50image and much less injuries, IM training gets you seriously fit and makes you realise just how much you REALLY can push your body phisically and more importantly mentallyimage 

• Options
    Is there spaces at IMF ..............the big european ones tend to fill up within 24 hours.but France is a tough one so might not be full
  • Options

I like it! image

I did the Vitruvian this year on minimal training (best intentions but too many summer bbqs!) and loved it, and had I not faffed about in transition would have broken 6 hours. So, bring on training and an IM!!!

Vitruvian was my first mass start swim. I really got the shock of my life and thought I was going to drown. Had to just get out and breaststroke for a bit so rather disappointed with my swim time.

Think will enter a few outdoor swims, and just need to spend hours on bike I think. 

Am feeling all positive too now! image Will keep an eye on the forums for all your top tips - am a bit of a newbie to this, but loving all the experience and knowledge that's available from you all, not to mention similar fears, questions and a little bit of crazy!

Have  good Sunday all!

• Options
    Is Wales expected to sell out?
  • Options
    Hope not 2000 entry limit 800 ish entries so far so thats the big rush done, also what with IMUK, HENLEY and OUTLAW taking places itll have to go some to fill up I am not entering until Feb, March ish once I know I have this hamstring problem cracked and can give it full justice on the training front as £350 is a lot of wonga for a DNSimage
  • Options
    Oh on a positive note amid my sickness and injury woesimage my favorite uncle who really supports all my long distance lunacy but thinks I am nutsimage sent me a cheque  to sort myself out with a sea kayack wahoo!image hunting around for a good second hand deal should take care of up body and core strenght sessions for this year as i get really bored doing weightsimage
  • Options

Hi Seren

I'm so pleased to hear you have to swim with a nose clip - I honestly don't know how I'd manage without it but assumed that I'd have to sort it if I was going to be able to swim in a race. It's getting it kicked off that  bothers me and then having to cope - but I never thought about a spare. What a fab idea!

Thanks everyone else for their advice about the swimming so far, Feeling so much more positive already.

• Options

Joolze how about a bit of cord from the clip to your goggle strap for races then if it gets kicked off tread water find the cord and the clip will be at the end of it prestoimagealternativley work on your body rotation in your swim stroke, do you breathe out underwater or try to get it all in and out when your head is out of the water (my mates trick) have a look at that swim smooth site on breathing and keep practicing but if it dont work dont sweat itimage and use the clip

cannot beleive I gave a swim tip I am a carp swimmerimage

• Options

Hey All

Another IM virgin, will be taking on IM Austria in July. Started cycling last January when I was unable to run, the swimming kicked off in July, did my first sprint tri in September have done 2 more since and a Olympic last week. To be honest I will never be the quickest swimmer but a few lessons has dramatically cut my times and it didn't take long to get up to 3K swims.

Since switching from full on running to Tri I have broken my 10 mile & 1/2 marathon PB's on a vastly reduced weekly mileage and at the age of 52! Shouldn't be possible but as Ridgebackmax says IM training can get you seriously fit. I am constantly amazed at just how many hours a week of training you can do without getting exhausted when training across three disciplines.

Unlike most in here this is peak racing season for me, so packing in a lot more training than most for this time of year, consequently I am completely missing out the base section of my IM schedule and will jump in when there are 20 weeks to go. Have just finished a busy period of 6 races in 7weeks, that was Athens marathon, 1K OW race, 10Mile Run, 1 Mile OW race,Olympic Tri, 1/2 marathon, now there is a gap until January when its another rash of races through into February.

Looking forward to hearing how everyone gets on.

• Options

Hi, All

I to am thinking about doing an IM (oops i've said it now it must be this thred lol) well actually i was thinking about doing a half IM but seems like everyone by passes that and goes straight for the full IM. I come from a rugby back ground and have done some 10k obstacle races and two half marathons (2hrs20) and just recently done two off road Duathlons. Not swam since school 1989 apart from cooling down on holidays in pools image.

So i have a lot to do but hearing about everyone else does help to motivate and keep you sane imageimage

• Options

Kryptonite if you do IM France the swim will be a sea swim so you would have to practice some sea swimming as well. image

If my shoulder is fixed by January I am definatley considering Outlaws this summer. I can't afford an IM branded race.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Hi team!
    I'm back for a second year of tri. Signed up for Outlaw this time last year and had a great time learning the ropes. RBMax was brilliant for advice and support throughout. Meldy, too, though I hope she doesn't read this...
    Krypto - you'll prob be expected to co-operate with a full running schedule if selected, but if not you can substitute bike rides for recovery/easy runs and you'll stand a good chance of getting you're 3.30 target. It certainly worked for me.
    Next year I'm doing both Outlaw and IM Wales, plus Swashbuckler again in May (this year's was my first ever tri, and I loved it), Wimbleball in June, and kicking off with Spring Ballbuster in early March to try to motivate me over the winter. It has cost a fortune so no-one's getting any Christmas presents from me this year.
    Sorry to hear you and the family are poorly, Max. I hope you get out a bit before the next weather insult on Thursday night.
  • Options

Hi all!

I'm back again for another year after being one of the IM virgins Max was talking about this year.  image

I've found it very difficult to get back into training since IMUK but have finally started to get a 'habit' of training going again - the pre- 30 week stage-  with no volume but an hours session a day for 6 days a week.

Looking forward to the journey again and dreaming of those long hot summer bike rides  image

• Options
    Hi Joddly, Hi Slim imageimageimage
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Ah, just like old times!
  • Options

hi everyone,

I did Outlaw last year and it was my first IM. I absolutely loved it and looking forward to starting the training journey again.

Next year I'm doing IMR.

• Options
    Yep except that now you Slim have completed an Ironman are you both going to "race " an ironman this yearimageimage
  • Options
    ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    Yep except that now you Slim have completed an Ironman are you both going to "race " an ironman this yearimageimage
    "race" ....i don't that word exists in my worldimage
  • Options
    Hi IPM it realy is just like the good old daysimage
  • Options

here we go again......image

I was massivley motivated last year... its a bit harder second time around, or am I just remembering what I was doing by the end, not the start...... I am struggling at weekends at the moment.....

I'm following a Friel like periodisation program, so I am just starting prep phase -starting to get frequency in, not really thininking of volume at all....

Last year I just swam - I ended up with a slightly slower swim time  in the vit than the year before, so this year I am getting some 1:1 videoed endless pool sessions.  After a bit of drowning / losing the ability to breath as my stroke is blown apart, its starting coming together again.......

Joined a Gym so am intending to do 2 weights sessions a week, over the next 3 months.

Biking - I bike commute to work so thats ok for short stuff - I am struggling with getting out at weekends when its below 8 degrees... i am a wimp!  I can't wait for the warmer weather.

Turbo - ths instrument of boredom / torture is back.

Running - going easy at the moment as I have a little niggle and don't want to ignore problems.....

Last year I did lots of running at lunch time, this year I was going to alternate bike / run commutes to give me space/time for weight sessions etc.

I'm off to IMR, and will book IMW as a reward when I get a new job in March....!

• Options

Oh- I simply had to pop in and say hello to some familiar old faces!  Thanks for the shout Max image

Joddly- You are one crazy girl- but good on you girl!   May the tri gods be with you image

Slim! - Hi there and love the fact you have come back for more! 

I suddenly feel a bit tearful remembering the fun we had on here image

Just to let you know I won't be doing an IM event in 2011 as I am keeping to my original plan of training for ultras and intend to really focus on that next year. So far got a 50K and 50 miler lined up interspersed with marathons in Jan and May and the Grizzly in March! (where I hope to meet Max image)

BUT...I will be popping in to this thread to see how everyone is doing. I'm sure AndyB is doing IM UK again as well.

Good luck to you all and I hope all the newbies have a fantastic training time. Stay with this thread- its a good place to be image

Cheers Jenny

• Options

'race' an Ironman - you cheeky blighter!

I'll have you know I was flat outish during that painful day. image

• Options
    Ello ello! In for the Outlaw. Just found out I have a place in London Mara thru my XC club... Anyone have advice about combining a PB attempt marathon (c. 3:15) with Ironman training? image
  • Options
    ladyfe, good to hear from youimage i'm doing the grizzly in March so I hope to meet you then imageimage
  • Options

I have just given up my grizzly place to do a 50 mile flatish ultra..........

2009 was a Ironman year
    2010 was an ultra year
    2011 is ironman and an ultra year so training will be interesting,,,,,,,,,]

Ladyfe what is your 50 milerimage

• Options

OK, I'm a new.. bee... and will be of to Ragensburg.  Not sure now it was a good idea image but paid my money so aim to get value out of it, 16 hours or bust.  Any one taking part, just remember at the feed station - leave me some food I've been out for a very long time......

Training should have started this week.  The important element to that statement is 'should'.  One run, one cycle and a swim.  Not a good start but better than nothing.

Not really planning much next week as I have a night out (Xmas party) so will be of kilter for a couple of days.  After that though looking forward to getting into a routine so that you just get up and get on with it.  No brain cells engaged attitude. 

• Options
    Thought I'd dip into this, as any inspiration is needed at times. Completed my first IM this year (IMUK), and now know my weaknesses. In for IM Wales in 2011, so just starting to think about extending my base period, and get a couple of sessions of each in during the week. Swimming once or twice with the local Masters. Bike is set up on the turbo, and trying my best to stick with it, and getting out for a few runs a week, and knocking off the slow steady miles.
  • Options

Hi Ladyfe- great to hear from you   imageimage

Make sure you do pop in from time to time as it would be brilliant to hear how you're getting on in the ultra world as well

Happy days- we're all together again  image

• Options
    Sorry, Ladyfe I missed your post. How's life? Hope the running is going well, and you are right, AndyB has entered IMUK next year. Fingers crossed
  • Options

Hi all, I am also hoping to pop my IM cherry at the Outlaw in 2011. Started tris this year, and did Bala which I loved. I think I may have met you there RBM, at the swim the day before.

At the moment I'm trying to resist the urge to jump right in and try mega sessions, I know I need to keep it easy and start following the Fink plan in a couple of weeks. Did a nice mountainbike along the ridgeway this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone develops along this path we've chosen.