Options

ASICS Super Six: Alison (Sub-3:30)

Comments

• Options

Alison Have a good trip/holiday/training weeks!

are you away for 3 weeks? thought it was just two?

• Options
    Has she gone / when does she go?

Hopefully there's decent internet acces in the hotel in India so we can keep up with the holiday training.
  • Options
    I was going to suggestthat she looks on the internet to see if there are any running clubs in the place she is staying............a long shot but you never knowimage
  • Options
    I think she said she was getting a plane today, and to India so I think she was planning treadmill running.
  • Options
    I only manage to get on forum a couple of time per week so sorry as lots of questions.Let’s start with the fainting. As you have been all checked out and nothing major was picked up the only think I would suggest is you get your iron levels checked but I actually suspect it could simply be due to under fuelling in the lead up and/or during the session and hence hypoglycaemia set in (low blood sugar you need to maintain this concentration around about 2.5mmol/l or your brain will not get sufficient sugars to meet metabolic demand hence your blood glucose fell below your critical level required for this). Unless diabetic or other medical issues this only really happens when you put your body under big stress such as endurance exercise and you don’t fuel it sufficiently. Symptoms start with dizziness, feeling nausea and fainting. In fact before the realisation of taking carbs on board during exercise this was actually quite a common problem in marathon races (when people collapsed it was often showed they had very low blood sugar levels). I would guess you may not have eaten sufficient the day before to recovery enough to do this session. The best way is to avoid this happening again is to sip on a sports drink/use a gel in these sessions and then recovery straight away. Aim to have 1gram of carb per kilogram of your body weight straight after these very intense sessions. Even very modest amounts of glucose taken on during exercise could maintain your blood glucose to avoid this again.
  • Options
    Hi The question about why do we get stomach problems has been well answered. Up to about 70% of your VO2 max your stomach empting is not really affected but after this intensity everything slows down so food will take longer to leave.The blood flow to the stomach and whole GI tract will be reduced as blood needs to be transported to muscle and skin to help with regulating your temperature and taking oxygen. This reduction in blood flow will be made worst by dehydration.  In contrast hard exercise speeds up transit time of faecal contents in the bowel!  Here are some tips which would be first line dietary interventions to help with this problem.  Solid food should be avoided 3 hrs prior to exercise.   If it is stomach pain/ discomfort or nausea: 1.      Avoid fruit juice, milk & carbonated drinks.

2.      Sip do not gulp water or sports drink (take in air which will make things worst, you should practise drinking whilst running on long runs).

3.      Avoid foods know to irritate: caffeine, chocolate, peppermint, fatty & spicy foods4.      Before exercise eat a snack that empties from stomach quickly– small low fat snack/low fibre snack (you should experiment with reducing fibre in diet 1-2 days before race day (you won’t often hear a Dietitian say that!!) cut out all wholegrain products and use white bread, pasta etc &  reduce fruit & veg If you have urge to defecate or Loose bowels

5. As above but also may benefit from routine of emptying bowels before running and/or anti diarrhoea meds (but need to speak to your doctor if you can’t solve it by dietary intervention first).

Hope this is helpful!
  • Options

Hi Steve,

I don't wish to hijack Alison's thread while she's away, but I feel I can claim some legitimacy as I was the competition winner who /paced/left for dead by/ her on the recent training day. Following on from our conversation then about how to predict your marathon pace, I'd like to ask your opinion on my chances for a 3:30 VLM this year based on today's run.

These are the mile splits with average heart rates:
    1. 9:09 (Warm up)
    2. 8:07 (146bpm)
    3. 7:44 (147)
    4. 8:08 (149)
    5. 8:09 (148)
    6. 8:13 (150) hill
    7. 7:48 (150)
    8. 9:24 (Warm down).

If anyone else wants to voice their opinion, feel free. I can take it!

George

• Options
    Hi George,

I too am training for VLM and aiming for a 3:30 time. Your training times are very similar to me and I just completed a HM on Sunday in 1:40, which also predicts an approximate time of 3:30 marathon.

Dan

• Options

Hi Dan,

That's great to hear. Thanks. Tell me, what was your pacing strategy in your HM? Or did you just go with the flow? I'm doing the Silverstone HM and want to come away from it feeling as positive as you sound.

George

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ruth,

Thank you for your detailed reply.  I did alter my diet on Tuesday before my speedy session and things were better but still had a feeling of nausea while running fast.  I note your comment about milk and I do drink a lot of milk and had two or three glasses a couple of hours before my run -  certainly something to think about. 

• Options

Hi George

Probably too early to say definite and best to base any prediction on 18 mile plus training runs and half marathon races in March but you definitely should have a good shot at it if the training goes well in the next 2 months or so

heard from Alison

Am in Delhi -it's great! And have managed a trip to the gym. Can't get online (am just using work BB to check gmail) I did 3 sets of 1km jog then 1km at 13kmph, then got bored of treadmill so shortened recovery to 0.5km jog but still 1km at 13kmph, twice. All at 2 per cent incline.

So that's 5km at HM-ish pace. Am pleased.

Won't have time tomorrow as going to see Taj Mahal!

• Options
    Who's going to tell her the Taj Mahal isn't in Delhi, it's in Agra?
  • Options

steve

if you are still about, i have a half on sunday as part of the old sub3h15 training plan and was after some general pacing guidelines re the hills which are more significant than most on this half - liversedge.  is it just a case of something simple like +/- 20 secs from your target average depending on whether you are climbing or not or should i be more sophisticated in grading the climbs ie 20m in 1km would be more of a drop off than 10 say.  similarly for the descents some of which are -30m over 1km.

advice would be much appreciated.

• Options
    Mr Spoons wrote (see)
    Who's going to tell her the Taj Mahal isn't in Delhi, it's in Agra?
    Classic day trip Mr S.  The Teen did it 3 years ago (sadly without me)
  • Options
    Anyone doing Wokingham on Sunday ? I will be there without my hat, I find people laugh at me when I wear it out running !! Just wear it at Weddings and Birthdays now !
  • Options

There's a Taj Mahal (restaurant) in Crawley - near the A23 London to Agra Road

DM 1974

There's no definite formula on the hills - it really depends on your fitness and liking for hills and even mental attitude to some extent.

I would say roughly steep hills could add a minute per mile of hill which you may get 20 seconds back on the descent and milder hills are 40 secs and 15 respectively - from what I know of Liversedge if you think you are in 1:40 shape on a fast flat course ie Brass Monkey, aim for a time of around 1:43 and relax up the hills and don't fight them and while some who attacked the hils may have passed you, ease past them on the flat and descent when they pay for their extra effort without putting in any extra effort yourself.

• Options

Ruth

Thank you for your response regarding the fainting problem, I would also be surprised if low iron was the issue as I'm quite careful with iron (because I'm a vegetarian) I also take a multi-vitamin with iron nearly every day so it should be fine.

I feel a lot happier hearing that it is not a big problem and was quite common, it had me a bit concerned. 

I'll take your advice re:carbs and sports drinks on board ... I do several sessions a day so I'm not sure how to structure my eating. I had been seeing a dietitian but she said she doesn't understand sports nutrition so she can't help me. Please can I cheekily ask for some more advice?

I tend to eat breakfast at about 6am, usually porridge with fruit, then do a 30 minute abs/core exercise class at 7am immediately followed by the gym (65% cardio:35% resistance). I sometimes eat just fruit following this session but I'll make an effort to eat carbs instead. (Would you swap the breakfast and snack over and eat a snack first thing and breakfast at about 10 after the gym instead?) 

I then do my run (similar to Alison's training schedule) during the day - shift dependent. I try to get my run in either before lunch - which then tends to be quite late or before an evening meal so I don't have to add snacks. 

I run & do gym sessions 6 days a week, I also do a couple of circuits classes each week  although these aren't until 8pm - if I've eaten lunch late I eat a meal after circuits but if not I usually eat before then have toast/cereal/yoghurt afterwards. 

What would you do? Is it just a case of balanced meals (or carb rich snacks) after each session? 

I work shifts so occasionally I'll end up exercising late at night with my next session early the next day, do I need to fuel differently for that? 

Sorry I'll be quiet now (and get to bed as 6am is looming) thank you for your help

SOLB

• Options
    Thanks Steve,

I'll keep hoping (and reassessing). What is the longest Marathon Pace run someone should do in the lead up to the big event?

George
  • Options

This is getting ridiculous.  2 weeks of treadmill training when siteseeing doesn't prevent it.

One of the conditions of winning was contributing adequately to your forum threads wasn't it?

This is a waste of a great opportunity.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    You, apparently, Moraghan.

Fortunately, Alison is a normal person with a real job in the real world, and not an obsessive with a personality disorder!
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Ah, obviously that was a response to the post that you just wiped.
  • Options

Apologies for the confusion, I had edited my post before you posted.

Your post is an interesting insight into your mentality but I'll not trade insults with you.

I guess I could explain why treadmill training is a very poor alternative to running outside and continually missing training won't get results but I guess there's no point. 

• Options
    You had it right all those months ago.....
     joddly wrote (see)
    In signing up to be a Super Sixer, I would see it as my responsibility to stick to the schedule and encourage, cajole, moan, fret, and generally support my fellow marathon trainees. I would report every training session so those doing the same stuff will know they're not alone. I've been using RW schedules since the REO Speedwagons in 2002 (you had to be there....), and love 'em.
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    That's still how I would do things.
    However, as Alison is a week ahead of most of us, it's not quite the same this time around.
    There probably is no point in you explaining your views on treadmill training and missing training regularly, as I expect we'll have heard the arguments before.
    Most people on here have to make compromises all the time in order to balance their training with the other aspects of their lives. Alison wants to make the struggle to achieve that balance a big theme of her thread. I think it's working well, don't you?
  • Options
    Moraghan are you really still on here whining and complaining?? Seriously; if us mere mortals distress you so much, maybe you would be better off not following these threads and go do something more constructive instead? Maybe you could start your own much more interesting blog or something… Haha!
  • Options

The bottom line is I don't see much struggling going on.  We have different definitions of compromise - compromise isn't simply ditching training when you're busy. 

I get the feeling her mentor was completely blindsided by the holiday and what she would be able to do on it.  If struggling to achieve the balance then giving plenty of notice of a holiday where it would be treadmill based running and, I suspect, no long runs would have enabled him to adjust training accordingly.  Now seeing how to adapt training around such circumstances would have been a fantastic opportunity to make a practical demonstration of compromise. Instead what have we learnt?  Nothing.

The bottom line is you are criticising me for expressing an opinion that you also hold.  You quite eloquently describe the responsibility of the SSXers and it's obvious to everyone she isn't living up to that responsibility.  For some reason you've changed your tune, albeit not very convincingly.  

• Options
    Baldspeed - you're still here?  After you didn't win the competition and get your freebies I expected that to be the last we heard of you but you've now managed 9 posts.
  • Options

You're so bitter it's amazing! Yer, was gutted at the time not to have made it through, although I can't say that I would enjoy the intense level of scrutiny on here... I'm still marathon training for sub 3.30 with my first one in May and absolutely loving it...

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    This'll be my last contribution to this particular discussion, but it is pertinent.

Moraghan, you quoted my "pitch" for VLM 2010 (didn't apply this time), and yes, I have changed my tune, in that I now see the value of including someone like Alison who is struggling to balance running with everything else. I think that you can't see the struggle because you don't understand that for most people running is not the main focus of their lives. In some of Alison's posts her anxiety about not training (or not posting) is palpable as she is clearly worried about letting the side down.

But she's still there, despite the nasty comments, and we'll get to enjoy hearing how the schedule did work out in India, and how she does on the Big Day. Her level of commitment may not be good enough for you, but it makes her more like the rest of us.

Mind you, I do think there's always a jinx on the Sub-3:30...
  • Options
    Wow! And to think that yesterday I was worried that by posting about my own running I was maybe hijacking the thread!