Options

ASICS Super Six: Alison (Sub-3:30)

Comments

• Options

Hope you feel better in morning - probably more the weather but you do become more susceptible when run down and you did a hard session Tuesday and then the two sessions in 11 hours

• Options
    Alison had a very good run today covering 15 miles finishing at 8s and looked really strong at Birmingham but will elave her to tell more.
  • Options

So much to say, so little time!

Had a really good run on Sunday - 15 miles in 2:08. Last two miles both at under 8 min/mile pace, so am v pleased. Also all the other miles under 9 min/mile pace.

Learnt that my left leg is longer than my right.

Things def looking up (but am about to go on hols for two weeks...!)

Going to Steve's speed session tonight again. Is so good to get the legs moving quicker.

Must go.

A/K

• Options
    Another very good session from Alison whose speed is improving every week but will leave for her to give more details and hopefully she will have time later
  • Options
    Where are you going to holiday Krypto, and will there be much running involved?
  • Options

I am here even if Alison isn't!

As far as I am aware Alison wasn't going away until next week so no sure what has happened.

• Options

Steve, perhaps you can convince the Asics team to pay for you to keep Alison motivated while she's on holiday! image

Ashleigh

• Options

having your own thread is motivation in its own right...................image

hoilidays means lots of new interesting places to run ..............image

• Options

Thank`s for the reply Steve, I don`t want to seem to be horrible to Alison and her training, but I have always followed the forum each year, of the winner, who was of a similar goal time to myself and enjoyed seeing them progress and go through the highs and lows of a marathon training programme.

Normaly we do get quite a good banter going and all forumites take something positive away from it but?

And I don`t know what has happened to Alison but this thread does seem a bit dead with little feedback from her and her training. I thought part of the winners package was an obligation to be a regular poster of training information and to discuss the on-line coaching, injury prevention tips, diatry advice, and general mentoring but it does seem thin on the ground and not what I hoped for.

Some other 3:30 threads are progressing very nicely and I find myself constantly looking at them and finding nothing on here. There that is said.

I only hope no disaster has befallen Alison and that she is well and happy but it would be nice to hear a little bit more from her?

• Options

Just heard from Alison just now - apparently it has been manic at work and she has been there past 10pm and has had no opportunity  to run since Tuesday. She promises to catch up tomorrow on the thread and is looking forward to running Watford Half on Sunday. I agree it helps the thread to have lots of posts  but hopefully others can still post their training and I am here to answer questions even if Alison is busy or on holiday!

• Options
    Thanks Steve! Let's try and keep this thread going and get some good advice off of our resident expert.

Hmm, I can't think of anything to ask....

I've got a sports massage shortly and am going for a little run in the morning. I haven't yet decided but probably around 20 miles, off road and very slowly.
  • Options

Good luck with the 20 - if that's a little run, your long runs must be long - take it easy early on as the winds will make it harder than normal.

• Options
    Steve - I've thought of a question!

McMillan gives me a long run pace of 8:33 - 9:33 based on my 1:39 HM PB. On the marathon thread Gobi suggests I run my 20 milers at 10:30 pace to improve my aerobic capacity, but with stretches of MP work (8 min mile) on alternate weeks. What are your thoughts and why do you think different coaches suggest such differing paces?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Good question Mr Spoons .....image

I've got a question -  why do I get a dodgy tummy when I run fast....? 

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Minni - because the blood supply to your gut gets diverted away to your muscles, so it can't work properly to absorb water etc, and tries to get rid of its contents by the most inconvenient route!

I've also got a question. Next week is week 8 on the RW schedule for Alison, and has 200m reps - is there really much value in such short intervals in a marathon schedule?
  • Options
    He he he, let's keep Steve MC busy image
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    joddly wrote (see)
    Minni - because the blood supply to your gut gets diverted away to your muscles, so it can't work properly to absorb water etc, and tries to get rid of its contents by the most inconvenient route!
    Oh dear, not a pleasant thought.....
  • Options

Hey that`s got things going now.

I posted, dived in the bath, came out and the thread is alive.

Thank`s Steve for the answer and we hope Alison can find time to squeeze a post in daily, lunch breaks, bedtime, early morning starts, it does not matter when.

Alison, we are not there to beat you up and make things seem like even more pressure piled on to you. Use us as a vent to let off steam and for us to help you.  We have all had goals that we set, sometimes we make them sometimes we don`t`, but always try to take a positive from all you do. Every run should give you something, and take pleasure that you are fit and able to run and at a very good level, lots and lots of people would dream of having a 3:44 marathon pb, so you are a good runner with a high level of ability.

You have been given a fantastic opportunity that you should try to enjoy, use Steve as a sound board, his knowledge is there to help you improve, use the dietician to get that dreamed of figure, enjoy the 15 minutes of fame and being in the spotlight, use the support of friends and family and don`t` feel its all on top of you, its not it is there to lift you up and support you.  so take it and enjoy it.

You will get out of this experiance exactly what you put into it, it is up to you it is your choice.

so go for it big time AND ENJOY IT.   nuff said.

• Options
    Alison - good luck on the Watford half. You are doing a great job juggling a job in the city with running.
  • Options

Mr Spoons

There are lots of different ways to train and they can end up with the same result but different thinngs work for different runners and it''s seeing what works for you best.

Basically it's train hard and sensibly - longer stuff to build endurance, faster stuff to gain speed, learn pace judgement and get sufficient rest,

10:30 pace will enable you to go further and potentially build more endurance and maybe recover quicker but it is a long way removed from the pace you will need to run on marathon day but if you put in bursts at 8 minute mile then I guess you are getting some marathon pace in there.

Personally I would prefer to do more like 9:30 pace for a sub 3:30 pace and I think most schedules would be nearer at that pace but 10:30 would work for some.

• Options

Minni

I think your question has been answered well by Joddly and we now have a diet expert who will answer

200m reps - in their own right they are maybe a long way removed from marathon running but they are a good session if you have had a hard run at the weekend and want to do some speedwork without getting too tired and 200m reps can help your 400m rep speed which helps your mile speed which aids 10k pace and so on!

If you drop the recovery down- ie start reps every 60 seconds then you build endurance and sometimes in my group sessions they will do a block of 200m reps in the middle but may also do a mile at 10k pace before and after.

• Options
    What a forgiving place it is here.  So unlike the marathon event itself.
  • Options
    Hi Alison,

Good luck for the Watford Half on Sunday. If last Sunday was anything to go by you'll do great. What's your plan? Are you aiming to do 8 mins/mile?

George
  • Options

So that's 4 of us at Watford then image

• Options
    I had a problem with my blood sugar yesterday - i embarrassed myself by passing out in the supermarket (oops). The paramedics got a blood sugar reading of 2.7 but it rose again to 5.7 after glucose gels. My bp was fine (although a bit high for me) and my resting heart rate was fine at 60 instead of my usual 55ish.
    I'd eaten breakfast before running a hill session but presumably had messed up with refueling somewhere (i had porridge made with skimmed milk and topped with a banana and blueberries)
    I took today as a rest day cos I felt awful but am feeling better now.
    Do you think its ok to run todays steady run tomorrow then do my long run Sunday or should I cross train tomorrow instead?

Good Luck at Watford, sure you'll all do well image
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. Be inteeresting to see how it works out.

S.O.L.B. - not sure I know enough to comment. Be careful would be my advice. I think you need to figure out what happened. Nothing wrong with porridge though. Loads of runners fuel up on the stuff.
  • Options

SOLB

I think we need Ruth to give a more expert dietary view. It seems a bit strange if you were fuelled up reasonably well that it happened. Tomorrow I would suggest an easy run to see how you feel and then if ok attempt a long run Sunday but make sure you have lots of gels with you and don't go too far from home.

• Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)
    Basically it's train hard and sensibly - longer stuff to build endurance, faster stuff to gain speed, learn pace judgement and get sufficient rest,
    LIke the advice Steve - sums it all up in a nutshell!