Options

ASICS Super Six: Alison (Sub-3:30)

Comments

• Options

Thanks. yes am in Paris at the moment and the internet is about 10 hour pace and hopefuly wil be able to give updates and I will be around until LM starts - but am likely to be moving very very slowly and spending a large amount of time between the 16 mile to 26 mile mark on following Sunday so not sure be around much thereafter!

• Options

Hi Steve,
    Can I also add my personal thanks to you, and to add, that your advice on the forums has been fantastic, I have benefited personally from your advice, and mid-way through the schedule and injured your advice got me running again in double quick time, and coupled with other tips and information, I feel that we have all been very lucky to have you on here.
    So a very big thank you from me, and best wishes in your own training.
    all the best
    shaun

• Options
    im one of the 40,000 lurkers. thanks all of you. especially steve mc. kryptonite thanks for your honesty. shaggy i am jealous of your profile picture and solb is that your article on the for good page? dan and minni impressive times.
    good luck everyone

• Options
    Hi Anon - what's the food good page?

You're right though - Shaggy does have the best avatar on here.

Shaggy - did you make it yourself? (make me one please imageimage )
  • Options

Bonjour de Paris! 

@Rob Cope - could you start that dance now please? In fact, could you all join in? It was so hot here yesterday. Am a little worried (for a little, read extremely.)

Plus, yesterday afternoon I finally cracked, after a fairly tough 2011 so far on the work front and a mini crisis yesterday that I couldn't fix before it was too late. Nothing dramatic really, just something that makes me look rather inept, which is frustrating given how hard I've worked and that I was meant to  be on holiday.

There were tears and despairing thoughts (some marathon-related, mostly work-related), but parents are here, which is lovely (thanks rents!), and of course the S6ers, RW and Asics teams.

Going to stretch legs in tomorrow's kit. Feeling a bit creeky!

Now, get dancing please!

Bon journee.

• Options
    Corr blimey dancing and typing is hard work ... pant puff skippy skip .... (who on earth just landed on my toe?!)

I agree Shaggy it is fantastic!

Anon (blushes) yes it is mine - although I hadn't realised it was going to be published on it's own. There were loads of other articles when I submitted so thought it would be lost amongst them (didn't notice they were from a year ago and subsequently removed)

Mr Spoons mmmmm Good Food page sounds like fun - although given that I ate cereal all day yesterday because I couldn't be bothered to get proper food I'm guessing I wouldn't be an advocate! It's a competition thing about fund-raising called 'For Good,' prize is an entry to an autumn marathon in Palma de Mallorca image

Alison so pleased your parents are there and of course you have loads of support from the teams (and in between dancing we're all supporting you too.) Remember you only have to run for you now - we will be really pleased for you if you do get a PB but it doesn't matter if you don't.

As for looking inept - I expect even the senior partners have made a mistake at one point or another.

Have fun, we're all behind you ... I have an excellent virtual cheerleading routine sorted - image
  • Options
    shaggy you will be swamped with requests now. solb sorry shouldnt i have said it? kryptonite youve run marathons before and done well i bet you felt like this before them too.
  • Options
    No Anon it's lovely to hear from you and you are welcome to say anything you want.

If I'm uncomfortable with it I'm sure I could get it removed - it's a little more open than I'd have been if I wasn't hiding from insomnia at 3am when I wrote it that's all. Someone that read the article even sponsored me so that made it totally worth it image

I've got to get moving I optimistically decided to have a spring clean this morning and now I'm being held hostage by all the stuff I didn't know I had (oops, back in the cupboard and shut the door quick?)

Have a good day
  • Options
    dont remove it. i think you should be proud of what your doing. it is brave. i cant link but the address is http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/fundraising/running-to-escape-the-voices---running-the-marathon-to-help-others-escape-too/6415.html
  • Options
    SOLB - just read your article. Good for you. Keep at it!
  • Options
    Thank you Mr Mouse and Mr Spoons - I'll bring you back a souvenir if I win!

The postie just arrived with the energy gels I ordered following the debate here ... be rude not to try them out - sorry housework! (I went for SIS cos you don't need water)

• Options
    Anon mouse, Solb, look on Minni`s 3:30 site for details of avatars?
  • Options

Hi Alison,

Great to hear from you in glorious Paris, don`t worry about letting out emotions, it is all fine, better out than bottled up inside, the tension  is out of the way now and you can just have a bl**dy enjoyable run tomorrow, no worries on time or anything, your training journey was for everybody, THE RACE IS FOR YOU, so just relax and enjoy it, you have earned the right to be there and try to make the most of the beauty of Paris.

• Options

Hi Alison,

Good luck for tomorrow. There's no need to prove anything to anyone but yourself. Just go and enjoy it. Thanks with providing us all with so much to post about, it wouldn't have been half as entertaining if you'd just done the training exactly as prescribed.

George

• Options

SOLB - I just read your story and am really moved. Mental health is still so hush hush and almost taboo, which is strange and sill since we talk all talk about other issues so openly now. Good on you. 

I took up running because I moved to London and hated it at frist (and had an old pair of trainers and zero £!) and it was a lovely escape. I think most people who run do it for some sort of escapism, wouldn't you say?

V much looking forward to my run tomorrow.  Had a great chat with Steve about the whole experience, things to think about when it gets tough, how to keep cool (pouring water on head, and start keeping cool early, not when already over heating, like last year) and running sensibly, and ENJOY it and RELAX.

I will, I will! Night night.

Keep dancing!

• Options
    On holiday and on daughters iPod so will keep it short and sweet. Sorry it's late but best of luck Alison. Enjoy the day.

No explanation required re holiday. Good luck again.
  • Options
    couldnt get avatar to work. kryptonite i agree it is your race you have plenty od support. have fun and best of luck to all the runners.
  • Options
    Thinking of you today image
    You must feel very proud you've come such a long way since venturing into London with those tatty trainers!!
  • Options

Any news ?

SOLB,  just read your story, moved and touched by your story.  It was the same for me with my running.  I, like you am honest with the reasons that I run and I am only too happy to tell the positive impact it has had on my life.

Before running I was addicted to smoking weed, I lived to get stoned and it had ruled my life from the age of 18 til about 37 !!  I wouldn't leave the house until I was stoned and was then paranoid when I was out and about, not a good use of time or money.  I used to smoke about 6 to 10 joints a day, my skin was pale, I lacked motivation, I forgot birthdays and anniversaries, if I was going out to a party or a wedding I had to pre roll joints to get through life.  All my friends knew I was a stoner and just accepted that I was always off my face on skunk. 

Those days are behind me now thanks to running.  I gave up the weed about 3 and a bit years ago.  The running gives me time to process things and a goal.  So all good now !!

• Options

Alison will hopefully tell all the story. She was going well early on and reached halfway in 1:47:55 - nb first two 5k splits both 25:35! but she found the temperatures which were hitting 25 degrees by the end with very strong sun hard and had to ease back and just missed her PB with 3:47:07 which was excellent effort in the heat.

She will run much quicker in better conditions.

• Options
    Congratulations Alison image
    (will answer other points later, promise)
  • Options
    Alison, that was an excellant performance given the sky high temp in France today. Hope you don't feel too upset with time, you done great !!
  • Options
    SOLB- great article and very honest of you. Hope you have recovered from the virus a few weeks ago and now back on track for Edinburgh.

I run because it lets me get away from all pressures for a while. I don't think about what is stressing me but clear my mind and enjoy where I am running. I had a great run very early in Windsor Great Park this morning for my last lsr before London. Absolutely beautiful sunny morning with hardly a soul around.

Alison - you have over the last few months done some great running and after hearing how hot it was today this was another run to be proud of. I remember Steve saying a while back that there are so many elements that have to come together on the day and you got there injury free and fitter than you have been before.

Hope you are now sitting in the Paris sun with your feet up and tucking into some fine food and wine and already thinking about what your next race will be.

• Options

Well done Alison, superb time! Enjoy a well deserved rest.Thanks for a great forum!

I found it hard running my last 10 mile long run today in the sun. I hope its not hot for VLM.

• Options

Well done, Alison. Just like Dan, I ran 10 miles this morning and wouldn't have wanted to go much further. It was SO hot. 25 degrees is most definitely not marathon weather.

I have a feeling that you'll be posting again on here before too long telling us about how you smashed your PB. 

Coups - nice image you painted of Paris. Alison - I hope that's exactly what you ended up doing. 

Well done.

• Options
    Hi Alison and a very big well done on your run today, a cracking run in ardous conditions,you have done so well, do tell us how it all went and also how you enjoyed the Paris experience with the ssxers compared to last years run in anonaminity.
    Looking forward to hearing of your exploits, take care.
  • Options
    Well done Alison
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Well done Alison. Watched the run on Eurosport. A very good time given the scorchio heat.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Congratulations on your marathon Alison.image   It sounds like you ran strong in the heat and I hope you had a fantastic time!  Was the time of 3:47:07 the clock time - the chip time may be quicker?   Looking forward to your report.

• Options

Argh - trying to post splits, but won't work. Will have to type them up again, which may take a while!