Options

ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

Comments

• Options

That's good advice, Alli, my physio recommends no running for 48 hours after massage / manipulation sessions and then a light start to get back into it - so no hilly intervals the day after!

• Options
    So it looks like the supermarket shop may need to be done a day early so I can shift the runs around.  That runs the risk of the cupboard being bare a day early next week too but I suppose there is always the takeaway in an emergency image
  • Options
    Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)
     That runs the risk of the cupboard being bare a day early next week
    At least there won't be any chocolate to tempt you then eitherimage
  • Options
    Unfortunately  I've still got another stollen cake and a box of Thorntons to wade through, it's a hard life image but somebody's got to do it image
  • Options

The chocolate arrives with the postman!  Which reminds me that I must keep an eye out for the stuff I ordered in the sale image

We've still got a whole box of stollen bites, a couple of mince pies and assorted biscuits.  Usually the leftovers get added to tonight's pasta sauce but I don't think that would work somehow!   It is much worse at work though with 2 more lots of biscuits and a tin of chocs to go.

I did do a post earlier giving people more of an idea of my background but then I lost it image

• Options

Whew!  It's amazing how much extra work there can be when you are one member of staff down.

Anyway, I am just quaffing a latte and eating malt loaf before heading off to see how I do with the 1K intervals.  I've been moving pretty easily all day but the test will be when I start to run on it.  

PS  The chocolate cupboard is full image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

Hope the intervals go well.  How many are you doing & what  warm up & cool down are you doing?

• Options

I managed the whole of the session but the pace wasn't as good as last week's session.  Slightly achy when I started the warm up and I did feel it in my backside but as a feeling of having been kicked rather than an acute pain.  However I was working quite hard as needed to use short strides.  If I tried to lengthen them it pulled more and I couldn't keep up any speed.

! mile warm up and then 1.45 as cooldown (simply because that is how far it was back to the sports centre and my car).

5 sets of 1K with 200m recovery.  Times were 5.50, 5.43, 5.35, 5.37 and 5.52.  Pace between 9.01 and 9.28 min miling.

During the first couple of reps I focussed on easing into it rather than overdoing it.   Once again that last bit was hardest but I've realised that despite it being the same cycle way as the rest the surface is really quite bumpy with some raised drain covers.  Not really noticeable on a slow club run but trickier when trying to speed up but not trip.  Next time I have long reps I may go the other way for the last one and then a different way back to the sports centre.

Regarding tomorrow, I did toy with the idea of an early morning (i.e. 5 am) run but I was really quite tired when I got in from work tonight and having aggravated the injury ready for the physio I don't want to overdo it.  So I'm expecting tomorrow to be an extra rest day.

• Options

How's it feeling this morning USB? I'm trying my knees on intervals tonight and am a little petrified that it's going to be tough going given that they're such long 'run' intervals. Last week's 800m intervals nearly did me in! I suppose that's the point though really.

If you fear you're running low on supplies I can always send over some baked goods.

• Options

Had to walk down a long corridor this morning (if I say it is called Hospital Street that'll give you an idea of how long) and by the end I was getting some twinges.  I've also found the front of the thigh aching, I think because of trying to compensate for the rear.

Someone has brought cakes in because it was their birthday yesterday so we are amply supplied (and trying not to get too ample) at the moment!

• Options

Is it the fizz this afternoon USB?  I'm definitely aching after yesterdays intervals and have been stretching in my office as often as I can to try and alleviate some of the tightness!

You did great on the session yesterday Bridget especially taking into account the tight glutey bits - will be interesting to hear what your fizz says.

Easy tonight and I really wish it would stop raining!

• Options
    Yes, later on Pinks.  I'm interested to hear her verdict.
  • Options

So do I.   it's horrid here, and windy too which I hate.

Gawd what between the lot of us!  I spent the morning trying to evaluate insurance tenders whilst sitting on a tennis ball.  On the plus side it kept me awake, but we had papers spread all over the desk, so every time I reached forward to grab something, the bloomin' thing kept popping out behind me, much to everyone's amusement.image

Hope tonight goes well Bridget, let us know what the fizz's verdict is.

• Options
    x-post.  Fingers crossed Bridget
  • Options
    I've already been wet once today, think fins and goggles will be the order of the day for my run too.  Oh how I love that wet dog smell in my car image
  • Options

Hamstring.  Apparently as there is no bruising visible it isn't too bad but got to lay off the pace work and do my exercises.  Had some ultrasound on it today and going back next week.

So now I need advice.

I was going to do 6 miles easy tonight, 5 miles steady tomorrow and 3 miles easy on Sat.  The 4.30 schedule has rest today, 6 easy miles tomorrow and 3 easy on Sat so thought that would be reasonable to do.

Now for the long run.  Schedule says 11 miles with the first 5 easy and the other 6 at marathon pace.  Probably not a good idea.  However if I just do 11 easy I then have 15 miles easy the next weekend which is a bit of a jump.  So I'm wondering about 13 easy on Sunday this week. Could use the same out and back route as last weekend but go a bit further out.

• Options

Glad to hear it's not too bad Bridget, but going on my past experience, I wouldn't run tonight, especially if you've had ultrasound.  You may undo the good that has been done by it. 

If possible I would then rest it tomorrow as well and then as they've said to lay-off the pace, go for the easy 6 on Friday and maybe easy 3 on Saturday.  

Maybe you could then do the 11 at easy pace and the following week meet half way at 14 miles easy.  But I suppose if you felt good after the first 5 this week, you could see how the 6 at marathon pace felt and slow down if you started to feel it. 

I was just thinking you really don't  want to spoil the benefits of the treatment image

• Options
    I've emailed Bud with the same stuff to see what he says.  My main difficulty at the moment comes when I try to lengthen my stride go quicker
  • Options
    That's what he's there for image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

I read somewhere that irrespective of speed your stride length shouldn't alter & also that if you shorten your stride that will help you go quicker!  I'm not sure how this works in practise although I do have a fairly short stride length but it does seem to increase slightly when I go faster.

• Options

Great session USB -

obviously do whatever Bud says is best - it won't do you any harm to miss a few faster runs - I had a few hamstring issues which was preventing me running quickly at the end of last week but it was less of a problem running slower.

• Options

E mailed you re hamstring  but essentially  USB ensure you modify next 2-3 days  by running  comfortably and within limits of pain  on good even surface.

But don' t be shy of missing couple of days now rather than   exacerbating injury.  You will NOT lose fitness in 3 days or so.

And make the shout on Saturday about how far  is feasible on Sunday.

Stay sparky and not dim

BB

• Options
    Thanks Steve.  It's good to know it happens to you guys too.  I'm disappointed though as I was enjoying the faster stuff after spending a lot of last year running comfortably.
  • Options

Seem to be spending the evening cross-posting!

Thanks Bud.  I'll avoid the club tomorrow and run closer to home so that I can adjust the length of the run according to how I feel.  I know it won't hurt to miss a couple of runs but as someone who has run most weeks in the last year it is hard to persuade my head of that!

• Options

Hope it sorts out soon USB...............

I am awaiting an oesteopath visit on friday.............I think mine is the lower back which is then spreading down.............

pain goes when I'm exercising and gets worse when I sit down................driving is a right pain.........

tempted to run everywhere to avoid driving.........trying to get my runs in tomorrow and early friday as I know not to do anything for 24 hours after the treatment

• Options

Bridget - I'm lurking purely to let you know that I'm willing you on!

Heads tell lies. Hearts win marathons!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Glad nothing too serious SB.  However, I do wonder why the advice to not do faster sessions was not given when you obviously posted several posts back about having niggles!  Also, I would think that your target could be achieved by dropping all speed sessions and doing more miles at an easy/steady pace.  I never touched speed work when I did 3:14 I just upped my miles at an easy pace.  Even now going for 3 hours I often just run lots of miles even as slow as 10:00m/m pace.  I think the emphasis at this stage of training at your level should be lots of easy running.  Hope you don't find my post offensive as it's not meant that way, more a concern that speed seems to be advocated when it really is not necessary for a marathon as there is more than one way to train and certainly a way of helping to keep injury from wrecking your chances! 

You seem to be following a schedule that pays no regard to your running background, state of condition at present.  It just seems to be a one size fits all and an outsider looking in can see this quite clearly.  I hope you get more proactive help in adapting the schedule before problems occur instead of 'fire fighting' once they arrive.

Best wishes!

• Options
    Not offensive at all Hilly and thanks for your interest. If I'm honest I probably knew it wasn't sensible to do yesterday's session as set but having started my stubborn streak got in the way. Yes, had I been told not to do it then I wouldn't have but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Regarding the speed work I'm not sure I'd want to lose it entirely from the schedule. I ran Abingdon 2010 in a very similar time to 2009 iirc the back of a year of mainly comfortable running and doing various off road marathons as preparation for an ultra which was 3 weeks before Abo. I'm therefore feeling that I need to do at least some work on my pace.

I definitely agree that one size doesn't fit all and that adjustments may be needed for anyone.
  • Options
    Mornign USB-hope the hamstring niggles are not too bad. Take care!
  • Options
    Morning MWW.  Hope you are trundling along ok.