Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Chick -  please take a few easy days with your back.  You've been doing loads and better to easy back a bit now that push it and end up out the game.  Really hope it improves quickly.

O4S - oh dear.  Hope your back and hip behaves too.  I've just got used to me hip hurting now!  Are you doing Bramley tomorrow?

AA - Hope Bramley goes to plan tomorrow.

Freemers - Hard juggling work and running, hey. Prioritise running for now!!image

Simon - was it good to be back on the bike?

FRC - are you doing London?

Carrot - the weather looked a bit grim for the relays.  Well done on the double leg!

So Pink, what's the next target?image

I've had a week of quite easy running as I battle with this hip but Friday night I did 8.5 with 5 miles at just over 7 m/m alternating HM/MP.  Long run planned tomorrow.

• Options

Chick - easy does it with the back. You don't want to aggravate it.

Pink - well done on your half, its a great distance.

Simon - limit to 40mph?! nutterimage

AA/O4S - best of luck with Bramley. Looks like superb conditions out there tomorrow.

Minni - I hope you get to the bottom of your hip problems soon.

FRC - Malta marathon eh. Done some diving out there. There are some spectacular shipwrecks.

17 miles for me today with a massive hangover after a fab Valentines night meal, but felt good by the end, even with the wind. XC tomorrow and the sun is apparently going to shine.

• Options
    Pink - that's a great result - well done image

Yasso 800s today - 8 sets with pace starting at 6.48 min/mile and then increasing up to a final one at 6.07 (9.8mph on the TM). Job done image
  • Options

Ant - 17m and xc tomorrow, sounds like you're up to speed? 

Minni - I hope your hip is ok for tomorrow's lsr. I don't suppose the trout will be any good for it? Yes it felt good to be back on the bike, weather was pants, but I felt it was time to hit the road, obviously not literately this time image.

Free - Nice yasso's , you didn't fancy them on the road?

Carot - Nice relay race.

FRC - Are you all tapered for Malta. Is it around Valettta?

• Options

Eton Dorney race report:

Right up until leaving the house I was checking the website to see if it was cancelled due to the terrible weather. It is an hours drive down the M4 but I made it & took the long walk to the boathouse to dump my bag. Very impressive lake. We were told at the start the Finish sign had blown in the lake & had been fished out!

There were pacers for mm not finish times so I took my place with the 10mm. It took a little while to get through a couple of barriers & then we were off. I stayed tightly within the pack although it was very difficult when we ran one particular side of the lake as the wind was vicious & this is where I thought I would be blown in & mastered the art of sideways running. The pacers were very good in keeping us motivated through the miles & encouraged us to take drinks on offer at the water stations & also advised on gels as we ran the 4 times around the lake. It was good for me to stay with them as it stopped me from running too fast at the beginning & learning to keep enough in the tank for the end. I kept an even pace throughout. I did try & avoid checking my Garmin every mile as in my mind I knew that once I had completed twice round the lake I would be halfway & that is when the race would really gather more. Once we hit 10 miles the pace quickened up & the sun made an appearance for the last 3. I was feeling surprisingly ok and the last mile was there before I knew it. A pacer from one of the early mm started running with me & encouraging me for the beginning of the last mile & before I knew it I was at the finish. Shocked & elated that I had completed it. 

Just when my legs were feeling tired there was a nice walk up a long spiral staircase in the boathouse to collect my bag.

If i'm honest I was dreading taking part due to the fear of the unknown but ended up thoroughly enjoying the race. I would have liked a better time but I still finished under my target time so happy with that. It's a benchmark now for me to know that I can improve on the time & I learned the importance of pacing in a HM.

The course is very flat with a little bridge to run over & it was very well organised. Shame it was howling a gale on the day as the setting was stunning. 

• Options

Pink has done really well with her training and build up to her first half marathon and hit her target in difficult conditions, she even got to meet Martin Yelling  well sort of.

FRC - Enjoy Malta and good luck with the mara.

Freemers - Very quick on the 800's.

Chick - Hope it's nothing too serious with your back, speedy recovery.

Good conditions out there today, AA and O4S have a good one.

Short test run today and managed it OK but left calf still not 100% could feel it when stretched.  Will rest again tomorrow, try a run Tuesday and have got physio Wednesday.

• Options
    Excellent report pink & very well done

Sorry to hear your calf is still giving you grief, Barry

Nice speedwork Freemers.

Relay sounds great, carrot.

Hope the xc went ok Ant.

Minni, glad you are feeling better.

Was unsure what to do today what with my back playing up but as I've felt loads better since Friday I decided to chance it. 22 very hilly miles d&d Feeling strong despite a murderous head wind on some parts of the course. Av. pace was 8:28 and about 15 secs per mile quicker than in January when I did 20 there. HR was lower too Hubby came with me on the bike, bless him. That way I could have stopped if something felt wrong and he would have got the car and rescued me

Got my feet up now and will not get off the couch for the rest of Sunday

78.75 miles for the week. Next week is going to be less.
  • Options

Pink - Nice report, and as you say , a bench mark to beat.

Barry - Hope the calf gets better.

Chick - Enjoy your feet up, you deserve it after 22mimage.

• Options
    Phew, flying Tuesday so safe from curse of Brol image

Top running Carrot with race, Ant with 17 and XC, Freemers with speedy Yassos.

Chic, cracking hilly 22m and a 78.75 mile week, (not tempted to do the other 1.25? image )..and a sore back. Respect.

Pinklady wow didn't realise it was your FIRST half. Even better run. Mrs FRC is doing Malta half and after exactly same time, so will show her your report.

Minni, had VLM club place, but bigger targets for me so gave it to club pal who was desperate. Might still do Manchester. How is your hip?

Barry, 2old both niggles? Simon too?

Don't think I posted couple weeks back, 5k managed 20:01, but felt awful, really had to force it and no sprint, still not 100%. Did 20 miles next day and last weekend, hard hills the next day, energy levels better so feeling like bug maybe out of system.

Thursday GB athlete coach had us do similar to Cols suggestion, 3 miles MP or under, 2 miles HMP, 1 mile 5-10k pace with 3-2-1 minute recovery and on windy night. Absolutely nailed it - 3 @ 7:08/7:05/6:55, then 2 @ 6:47/6:44, and finished with 6:25 - actually faster than 2 of the miles in the 5k. Felt so much better, big confidence boost over bug, Achilles tons better & PF gone too.

Other news, Coach ran in 3000m at Birmingham yesterday & qualified for world indoors in March. 7:46 for 3k. Superb.
  • Options

Great run Pink! 2 hours next?

Enjoy Malta FRC, although probably no cake.

Not a great day for me unfortunately. Following my session with the Osteopath my back has been aching and he did say it would take a while to settle down (if it does). When running the first signs are pain in the adductors and a steadily tightening hamstring. My plan was to set off and try to do my PMP on the first lap and then see how I felt after 10 miles. Met up with AA before the start, but knew I wasn't going to be able to stay with her for more than 100m, so started much further back. This had the disadvantage of having to dodge round loads of people who had started way too far forward, on narrow roads.

Felt very comfortable for the first 6 miles (8.04/8.09/8.00/8.07/8.14/8.14). Then turned into a slight headwind -8.19

• Options

Then the wheels started to work loose, the adductors began to hurt and both hamstrings were getting tight. The speed started to drop off and the last three miles went 8.20 /8.23/8.28 - 10 miles in an average of 8.14, 16 seconds faster than my PMP  but my back was hurting, my adductors were agony and I felt you could have played a tune on my hamstrings if you happened to have a violin bow handy. I did the sensible thing and stopped there so a DNF, as you are not allowed to change race distance unless you do it two weeks in advance.  I can't decide if I was being sensible or being a wimp - but as my Dad was fond of saying 'He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day'. 

BA wandered back in around 3.04 and actually congratulated me on doing the sensible thing, while I moaned gently about how I was just being pathetic. He then reminded me about the various occasions he has dropped out of 100 mile events, once famously at 92 miles and I said exactly the same to him.  Anyway, past history, but having to reconsider VLM campaign and whether I will be able to train properly

• Options

O4S - was lovely to see you today. Sorry about your back but you in no way wimped out. Deffo did the right thing. 

20 miles in 2:32 for me. Ave 7:37. Strange run - started too quick ... then got quicker....then died... Watch has also died so will analyse and do a short report when it wakes up again.

Well done to all those who ran long this weekend. 

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

pink lady - well done on your first half - you did great!  You are only going to get faster and faster now!

Well done AA at Bramley. O4S - I'm pretty sure you weren't being a wimp - hope things feel a bit looser over the next few days.

Tiring week for me with work and some family stuff. Too tired so binned my long run so only got in a parkrun this weekend - 20.48 in some strong winds, but was hoping for faster. 20 miles for the week image.  Looks like I'm going to struggle for time and energy over the next few weeks, hope I can find the time for some running.

• Options

O4S -   Wise decision to stop, hopefully a speedy recovery.

AA - That's  a  strong run over 20 miles.

Chick - Good long run from you, glad your back is behaving and impressive weekly mileage.

FRC - Some very speedy runs, you are coming back into form.

• Options
    O4S - definitely sounds like you did the right thing. I hope it settles down soon.

AA - that's a great run, bet you didn't think you'd be running that sort of time a month or so ago!

FRC - looks like you're nailing those paces image

KFC - still a speedy parkrun, hopefully life won't keep getting in the way of running!

Great day for a long run yesterday - 21 for me, bang on 3 hours so a little off 8.30 pace. A bit odd - my legs felt really awful at abour 13-14 miles, but by 16 or so they sort of recovered and I felt good at the end.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    O4S - never an eastly decision to make but definitely the right one. I don't regret pulling out of York a few weeks ago. That's a tasty 10m banked - think positive.

AA -wow cracking run yesterday. That was your MP at London last year, was it not?! Excellent work.

KFC - I hope the next few weeks aren't as bad as you think and you get the important runs in.

chick - hope the back is ok today.

Glad you're back on form Freemers. Are you doing some 20m races again this year?

Yesterday was indeed a lovely day for running. 21 for me also, I did the route you and I did Freemers with an extra mile added in. I also felt quite sluggish on the first 6 or so but then seemed to lock into a nice pace and ended up completing the 21 with an average pace of 8:01. My hip, hammy and flute feel completely fine today. Phew. This marathon training lark is a roller coaster of a ride.
  • Options

Thanks for all your congrats

FRC Yes I was determined to complete my first half this month as celebrating my birthday this week! image

O4S Sorry about your race but wise that you decided to pull out.

AA very good run there - you should be over the moon with that time

Minni Nice 21 miles. I have a place in Warwick HM next month - it's my hometown so I can pop to my mums for a roast dinner afterwards image I am looking at booking a place in Stratford upon Avon HM for April & then the Castle to Castle 10k (Kenilworth to Warwick) for June. Will then look at what is available for the Autumn here in Wiltshire. I think you can say I've caught the bug!

Half term here so I have booked the week off as work will be stupidly busy when I go back so thought I would have a rest now. Planning to go out for a run later as breaking in my new trainers. Wore my old ones for the HM on Saturday & they served me well but even the guy in the running shop couldn't believe how filthy & rough looking they were!

• Options
    Minni - that's a speedy 21 image

Yes, I have 20 mile races the next 2 Sundays and then a 21 mile race a fortnight after that. For the first race I will probably be very conservative, start slow and speed up a bit. Then hopefully the one after will be MP throughout.
  • Options

Freemers, chick, minni - great long runs banked. 

Barry - how's the injury?

kfc - hope you manage to keep going and the next few weeks arent too bad for you. 

O4S - how's the back today?

bramley 20 - official time 2:33.01

splits: 7:36 7:38 7:41 7:44 7:47 7:43 7:39 7:43 the first 8 miles and I was feeling strong so decided to push it a bit more ... 7:26 7:24 7:29 7:31 7:25  miles 9-15 legs were starting to hurt now and then turned into the wind 7:38 7:41 7:55 7:52 7:52 mental strength gone and found some energy to push last mile in 7:28. Not the way I had planned to run. But as I could hardly walk in October I should be pleased with that I suppose. 

• Options
    col.col. ✭✭✭

O4S - sensible decision to pull. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

FRC - some quick running from you. Good luck in Malta.

Freemers - 8 x 800m is a tough session. I find the lactic building with about 300m to go. Very good long run there too.

Chickadee -  22 hilly miles is great going. Hope the back is ok after that.

kfc - you have already banked some great training. I wouldn't worry too much about a few missed runs over the next weeks. 

Minni - good long run. Glad to hear the hip is behaving.

AA - fantastic 20m race. That will be a big confidence booster for VLM.

Pinklady -  enjoyed reading your report. Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next few halfs.

I was another who got a long run in at the weekend. 20m on Saturday morning with miles 10 to 18 at MP effort.  

• Options

((O4S)) deffo a sensible decision - no point in pushing on and risking serious injury.

Excellent long runs going on AA, Minni, Freemers and Col image

kfc: sorry to hear you are having a hard time image  One or two easy-ish weeks won't do much harm I suppose.

Rest day for me today. Typical :-/ Today would have been perfect for running. Completely still out there, 0 degrees and a slight ground frost making things look very pretty. Anyway, I promised my body an easier week and my last rest day was 2 weeks ago.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

A lot has happened since Ive been away, I see

Barry-good luck at the physio

FRC- have a good flight.Great to read you a re niggle free.Interesting splits for your tough MP.HMPand 10kp session. Malta wont know what has it it when you race.

Chick-glad the back is ok and great hilly LR-you ve earnt your rest

O4S-bad news having to DNF but very sensible

AA-cracking 20-you are in good form.I did a  20 mile race 7 weeks before Boston in 2009 about 3 mins faster and my marathon time was 3.11.so you know what that can translate into. My 20 was easier than yours -no wind etc return from injury-. too

Col-good LR with a tough and long MP section

Minni-glad all is back in order for you. I suppose thats why training schedules have cut down weeks to recognise the body is beinh hammered

Free-another excellent LR

KFC-Iagree ,dont stress over a few missed runs-leave that to me. Its suprising how you can fit them in when time is short

Simon-I had to put my running gear away this weekend for a trip to the west of Ireland-too much alcohol, food and late nights as you might expect so no rest and Im suffering now

Arrived home at 8 last night and went and ran a hilly 7 miles with a couple of MP miles thrown in. Planned12 today but stomach troubles put paid to that plan and run curtailed into a10k with 5k at MP. Hopefully will feel better after an early night.

• Options

O4S- sorry to hear about the DNF but it does sound like a sensible decision. Hope it's not too serious and you can get back on track with your VLM training.

AA- not sure what there is not to like about that run. Very good pace and should be a great confidence booster! imageYou say it 's not how you'd planned it... so what was the plan?

2Old- sounds like an enjoyable weekend.

Chick- great LSR. Time to rest up.

KFC- I would kill for your 5k time on an off day. Hope things settle for you in the next few weeks.

Col- great LSR with a good chunk at MP.image

Minni- nice pace on your 21 miler. It was lovely here as well yesterday... could almost feel the Spring in the air.

Free- wow that's quite a few 20m races in the next few weeks. Good luck with that!

FRC- yes, flying on Tuesday should be fine!image The best of luck.

Rest day for me today. A couple of 1m reps tomorrow @ MP and a short easy run with some strides on Thursday... and that's it! Then there's a small task of a 26m LSR @ MP on Sunday!

• Options
    OMG Bro, that has come round quick!! I'm getting nervous for you. Weather forecast seems fine so hopefully not another chaos trip with cancelled trains, planes etc.image
  • Options

Fab weekend of running guys!

O4S - wise decision to dnf, hope your back and hamstrings improve soon!

A.A - storming run from you, must be a real confidence booster, well done!

Carrot - nice one that you did 2 legs of your relay race.

Freemers - great yassos, guess that kicked your cold into touch.

Pink - nice race report and not at all surprised you are now bitten by the bug and planning your next half marathons image

Barry - hope you get your calf sorted.

Chick - excellent 22 miler from you and good your back is behaving.

Minni - a very nice 21 miles, glad the hips are better.

F.R.C - good luck for Malta.

K.F.C hope you just had an off week and find the enery and time to keep you your training, you've been doing so well so far!

Col - another, who got in a quality long run.

2Old - good to let the hair down, now and again, then resume serious training image

Brol - can't believe your marathon is this weekend!!

ventured out for a 2 mile walk/jog yesterday (first 1 in 3 weeks!) and the knee didn't balloon up.... still doing physio exercises, walking, cycling and will slowly reintroduce jogging.  Have given my Brentwood half place to a friend, had to face reality that I wouldn't be fit enough to run it!

• Options

Some great 20+milers from AA, Minni, Freemers, Col.

FRC - Have a good trip to Malta, hopefully you're travel plans won't be disrupted by Brolimage.

Kiwi - Hope the knee progresses ok.

After binning last week with just 4.6m's, the Achilles is feeling better so went out for 10.5m run in the rain, 1:31:24 @8.40 pace. Ran in a older, heavier more cushioned shoes and felt good, and only slight tightness in last half mile. Let's hope I haven't left it too late.

• Options

Race week Bro! Advance forecast looks good: light cloud, light wind, nice temperature.  Lets hope it stays that way.  Enjoy those MP reps tomorrow, sounds like a nice session.

Well done at Bramley AA, that's a cracking run. You should be very happy with that result.

Speedy 800s Free - job done indeed image You've got a busy few weeks of racing coming up!

Great race report Pink.  Just goes to show how much your hard work in training has paid off when you can say 'before I knew it I was at the finish'!  So pleased you enjoyed it image

Your hubby sounds like a star Chick, great news that you completed your 22 without any back trouble.  Nice pace on the hills.

Nice 21M Minni, remember when that was marathon pace?!

Sorry about the DNF O4S but the right decision. A nice 10M training run banked, look at the long term picture. 

Hope things get a bit easier for you soon kfc, sounds like you need the running to let off some steam but no time for running as there's too much stuff steaming image Still a parkrun time that many would love to achieve, don't be disheartened.

Probably the best thing to do with Brentwood Kiwi. I really hope things progress with your knee this time round.

Do you think he extra cushioning made a difference Simon? Hope things are looking up for youwith the achilles.

Great weather for yesterday's long run - plan was for 20M with 10M @ MP but only managed 7 MP miles before my poor legs decided they'd had enough.  Battled on to 8M but the pace was dropping so I cut myself a bit of slack and just ran the last couple of miles easy.  I blame that second relay leg on Saturday! Rest day today, only four weeks to go until Barcelona...

• Options

Oh wow the marathons are starting to happen now!!

bro - taper madness... is the feelin good factor kicking in now? How's the nerves? What's the ABC target? My plan on Sunday was to not slow down! And I did image

carrot/ Barry - 4 weeks? Omg! Taper time for you soon! 

Chick - you've run so much. Good that you're feeling ok now. 

Kiwi - keeping fingers crossed you On your next comebackimage seriously, you've been so patient. 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- yes it's all kicking off now ...that will give us an extra kick as we go on to March and then our taper

Simon- good to see you back on the road. Good idea trying the old shoes. Watching a programme about the placebo affect. Im sure my recovery from AT has a lot to do with how I think about it. The brain can release chemicals that deal with pain. 

Carrot- better not to leave all your energy in your training. ..good decision 

Bro- bet it's not slowon Sunday 

think I've got man flu. Going to see how the placebo effect works on it. 

• Options

2old - Forget about the placebo effect, everyone needs to read....The Chimp Paradox......written by a guy who helps GB athletes with their mental/emotional side of sport. We all need to release our inner Chimpimage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Chimp-Paradox-Management-Confidence/dp/009193558X