Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

DD -  Very nice pace on your session.

Minni - Can't wait for Florence, my first big city race so really looking forward to it. Having done 7 small marathons can't believe my next 3 are Florence, VLM and Berlin(fully registered yesterday).  I agree about a more relaxed approach to times, back in August I was getting wound up about how my speedwork/tempo runs were going but realised I was running as fast as I could. 

Chick - I seem to be going through a very good patch in my running last couple of months.

Brol -  If the race is going ahead  go and give it your best shot, I know there are people struggling with what has happened and the aftermath but there are many people struggling in the world and a lot are in worse conditions. 

3 miles slow this afternnoon, my eldest came out with me, she can't swim at the moment so wanted to do something to keep her fitness, furthest she's ever run but did n't pick a great day, rained hard after about 2 minutes of setting off.  Fair play she got around without stopping, will have to wait and see if she comes out again.

• Options

Evening. Went out for a session tonight. 8 hills + 10 min out and back + 8 hills. I took it easy and ran around 8 min mile pace. Still feel crap now though. 

• Options
    Barry- looks like I will see you at VLM and Berlin next yearimage

Spoons- it sounds like a painful session...
  • Options

Simon it's people like you who make this thread such a brilliant place, you're a top bloke for helping out Bro image

Bro there has been loads of comments on the NY marathon facebook page, while there are people who think it should be cancelled there are so many more who want it to go ahead - both runners and non-runners.  Partly because the marathon brings in so many visitors to the city, and with visitors comes money, but partly the pride in the city standing up and saying 'we will not be beaten'.  You're going to be brilliant, make the most of it.

5 easy miles with a friend for me tonight.

Sounds like a good thread turnout at VLM next year! VLM is also a target for me, along with Fleetwood HM in August.  Have a few more HMs planned but not yet entered, will consider a midweek 10K or two, will get a few YKWs in when I have a free Saturday morning. 

Minni remind me where in Northumberland that HM in March was?

• Options
    Minni - Is the Brass Monkey, another multi lap Geordie race?

Carot - Stop it, you're making me blush. Fleetwood HM sounds good. Didn't you do a HM around this area ie North West this year also? Do you have family over this way, or do you just come for the donkey rides on the beach?
  • Options

Simon we did used to have access to a caravan (Parsnip's Aunty had one in Blackpool) which made it handy for races over that way. She's just sold it image  It's a couple of hours drive from home with a stop at Tebay.  Yes I did Blackpool HM last March, will probably do it again next year.  I like the North West coast, it's nice and flat!  Not sure about donkey rides but I do like a trip to Blackpool Pleasure Beach!

Brass Monkey has nothing to do with Geordies, it's in York and is one lap image

• Options
    Article on the ny times now about the marathon

Regardless of local feeling, Brol. Go smash it. You've worked so hard for this all year. Oh, Can we online stalk you?

We are in Blackpool next week for a gig, hate the place.

After the half this Sunday, got a few days R&R in the Lakes, pool, jacuzzi, nice food and hotel, zero planned. Afternoon tea already ordered. Important things first image

Anyone else racing this week?
  • Options
    FRC- there's supposed to be free web tracking available on the race day. I don't have the link but it should be easy to find via the official website. My number is 16479. I've also signed up to Facebook updates so for those who have me on Facebook - feel free to share it on here if you wantimage
  • Options
    Bro, are your bags packed? Will you wear your trainers just in case your case goes missing? Oh no I shouldn't of said that last bit;-) hope you have a great time and go and get that 3:30 that you know you are capable of doing. Take care and I look forward to your great new pb and race reportimage
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    NY is going to be some race - can't wait to hear about it Bro

Exciting hearing some of you starting to plan for the next year - and starting to target podiums above PBs! I've missed racing so much this year, I can't wait to get some booked - are there any forum plans for races before VLM?

I'm toying with the idea of trying something a bit different this spring as I'll hopefully have a bit more time. The other day a 500 mile walking route opened in scotland and it got me thinking about running the route or sections of it - combining marathon training (ok, not quite P&D!) with a journey. I've done lots of bike touring but never a run tour and I'm not too sure how I'd work the logistics of moving my kit. Anyone got any experience of something similar or good ideas?

FRC/Gazelle - what's the thunderrun?

Have had a good running week - been out every day at lunchtime so far, and today it was just me so I went a bit further than usual and scouted a new route along the clyde through central glasgow in the sun.
  • Options
    KFC, Thunder Run is a 24 hr team event. Teams of 5-8. Or pairs or even solo. 10k trail run, over the 24 hrs, you get to run at night too, with head torch on.

We (gazelle, me, brol, speed sheep, scuba trooper, mr brol and a few other friends) had a team, and sure will this year again,. I did ask on here a few months before, but no takers.

Lightning Run is similar but only 12 hours

Didn't realise you were in Glasgow, I'm up there with family a few times a year. The running tour sounds like fun. There is a Trans Britain ultra event by go beyond that's 156 miles in 6 days, camp at each stop, breakfast & meal included, from Scotland, finishing in north Wales. Or you could do Haydrians Wall on your own?

Expect o4S to pop up with some suggestions. image
  • Options

Bro - So glad you got the flights sorted (Simon is such a star) and it looks like its going to be on and I'm sure a great atmosphere. You trained hard and its your time to shine.

FRC - I saw the mails about Thunder Run and Lighting, I'd like to do them but not sure how they will fit with my Iron Man training yet. Lightning is a long way for me to travel and logistically problematic, I don't want to camp in March. 27th of Jul is only 5 weeks form my IM race. It might work out...

A.A. - Would be good to see you at Henely if you go for the half, are you local to Henely?

DD - Are you planning a IM for 2013?

Gazelle - Good to see you back out and running after Chester.

Still struggling to catch up with the postings and so haven't read TM race reports but everyone seems t have had a good time.

Managed my first outdoor run yesterday, 3.7miles at 10min miles and heart rate 70-75% Max, felt so good to be back out in the fresh air. Tired again but not too bad and worth it. 

• Options
    Scuba- glad to hear everything is going in the right direction for you. I thought you was joking about the Ironman!

KFC- I'm like you and need to sort out next years plan. Take a look on the Thunder run website, it was really good.

I looked at Bath half and for a female v40 if you can do a half in sub 90 you get a free place! Most of us seem to be within 5 mins of that so let's get training and start booking races with free placesimage
  • Options

Scuba - Glad to hear your recovery is progressing with your 1st outdoor run.

Carot - How inconsiderate of Parsnips Aunty, she should of checked with Parsnip firstimage.

Kfc - It must be nice to get out at lunchtime for runs, unfortunately I only get 45mins normally, so a bit tight to get changed. run, showered, changed, in that time, unless I run for about 1mileimage

• Options

Scuba - onwards and upwards...good to get a run outdoors image

Bro - hopefully you will be on your way to the airport by now? Anyway, I'll be checking back later to make sure it's gone, and wishing you all the best for a fantastic run on Sunday image

If you want a laugh...there are some videos of the Town Moor on Youtube...looks like about 4 of them. I wouldn't bother with them all, but check out the first few minutes of this one.  You get to see Minni near the beginning, then me and AA running together - this would have been towards the end of lap 3.  Then shortly after that it switches to some footage of one of the muddy corners on the course...pretty slippy at that point.

I might run later...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Had a quick look and yes that's lap 3.

I'm going to do a slow run in the hills tomorrow morning.
  • Options

Great stuff, Freemers image. One dude ran in the wrong direction image.

Scuba: great news that you can run again. Hope the recovery keeps going well.

Have a safe trip, Bro! So many people have worked hard for this event - not only the runners but also NYRR and other organisers and I can't see how cancelling the event would help any of the people that were affected by the storm... they could do something like a minute's silence before the race as a tribute to the people that died and as a sign of respect.

Gazelle: you seem to have recovered quickly. I still can't do speedwork without my calf playing up but now it's about winter base anyway so I'm not too bothered.

• Options
    ST- wonderful news on your recovery. So glad to hear you're back running. Come on you know you want to do the TR. You can do a few laps as your LSR the way we did with Gazelle.

At the airport waiting for the take offimage
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Morning All

Bro-have a great flight-hope you're wearing compression tights to stop legs swelling'- and have a great time in NY-we know you'll be amazing on Sunday. If you wear something to indicate where you are from the NYers will enthusiastically thank you for coming and supporting them at this difficult time.

Gazelle-doesnt everyone wear or carry their running shoes when travelling overseas?image

FRC-Im thinking of Lancaster HM but not sure what my other weekend commitments are at the mo.That last ultra is as much in a week as I run in a month some months .

ST-good to see you back running

Simon-looks like you're inline for the next award here. 'Another multi lap Geordie race'-are you suggesting they like running  round in circles?image

Barry-mine would get around too but I would probably get fed up of the moaning and groaning and run off ahead for some peace

10k in just under 45mins last night and a swim today for me I think-not into swimming at the moment for some reason

• Options
    Bro - have a good flight, and good luck for Sunday, so excited for you!!

Scuba - good to hear that you are on the road to recovery.
  • Options

Bro, have a great time. Good luck! Go get that time you want.

Scuba, great to hear that you are recovering. As Gazelle said for TR24, sure you could do 2 or 3 lap long run, bring your bike & go for a ride and then we can chuck you in a lake nearby. Tri training covered then covered. image

2old, ultra? what did I miss. Last time I had you on holiday somewhere. Hope to see you Sunday.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

FRC-ultra-the Trans Britain-I know you weren't commiting to doing it . Whats your target on Sunday?Have you run it before? Hope I can make it too.

• Options

Bro - safe journey

Love the TM video. How come AA is always the only person smiling when running marathons?...... image

• Options
    Head down, serious face Spoons. I have no energy left to smile image
  • Options

Lol, just had a look at the video, thank goodness they added some music to it after a while!  Agree Spoons, AA looks far too happy about running a marathonimage

• Options

2old - Oh that ultra! the Trans Britain one. sorry crossed lines. Thought I had missed you doing a race. It was more for KFC, the idea of a running "holiday". The 156 miles in 6 days & peaks to climb too is not for me - I really would be committed for doing that. I run even less than you per week, usually 30-35 miles, 45 ish peak weeks.

Lancaster half, yes I ran it last year - then a pb of 1:36:30, minor bump or two about 8 miles but rest is flat, quite scenic around canal and country roads paths. Last 200 metres is around track with nice finish line. Target Sunday is of course sub 1:30, that 10k fortnight ago much like yours was a few seconds over 40 mins with a few hills - 6:29mm pace, think I will aim for 6:45-50 pace and see what happens. Low 1:30s would be great.. 1:29:59 would be wonderful image

Goes to look at videos.

• Options

Just a quick heads up. Brol's flight departed at 11.38, 8mins late, and they're enjoying the extra legroom.

• Options

Great news Simonimage I'm off skiing in January any chance you could.......................

• Options

Gazelle - No probs, I'll get it diverted to somewhere there's a hurricaneimage.

• Options

Fantastic news, Simon! Now Bro can relax image

Good luck FRC, go and get that sub 1:30 or should I rather say 8x:xx image