Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Good news from Weeble and Oompa  of the injuries.

Kiwi  - No double yet, tonight is my short night 11:20 to 6:10, rest of the week is 10 until 06:10,  getting ready for Homeland then run, feel tired already.image

Keeping OH happy, remember a conversation from a few months ago,  I had just spent 2 hours at the gym doing a treadmill HM, when I came home, OH not in best of moods "where have you been?"
    me " down the gym on the treadmill"
    OH " what for 2 hours!" 
    me " yeah I'm marathon training, you know that quite long distance I train for "
    OH " I don't believe you" 
    me smiling removed sweaty top from rucksack and threw top at her.  Happy days.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol Barry. I often get the 'again?' They don't get it that it's day after day, week after week, month after month, just to try and shave a few seconds off! Maybe they are the sensible ones....
  • Options

Minni - 5.30!!!!!!!image... AM???????imageimageimage I thought 6.30 was early enough training for MK this Spring? I'd end up falling down a manhole or curled up in a ditch!image

Barry - Hmmm, haven't tried throwing sweaty top at OH... might have to make sure i have a decent head start before i try that!!!!image

Have had the "Where have you been" conversation many times though, as i'm stood in the hall covered in mud, rain and sweat after a long 'un... Um, Sainsbury's????!!!!!!!image

• Options
    Barry- love your styleimage I looked at Florence as well but they wanted a medical certificate and I couldn't get it organised from here and didn't want to wait until I get home - I'm guessing many will be looking for alternative marathons after the NY fiasco.

FRC- sounds horrendous, hope you feel better soon. No point racing when you're so unwell, good call.

Minni- 5:30- yup normal time for me when running before work. I do sometimes question my sanity though...

5m recovery shuffle in Central Park planned for tomorrow, I mean it could be worse...
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Bro - great news you've got another race (and San Sebastian is lovely - passed through there on a bike tour and remember good cake image ). Some nice runs you are getting in out there too.

2old - great pb

FRC - sounds like a sensible decision

Weeble - great news

Superhangover. Much less productive day for me today... Did manage to pick up my ex-Olympic village beanbags, can confirm they are good for passing out in. On the sleeper back to Glasgow now.
  • Options

Bro - great to get a long run in Central Park...shame it wasn't the real thing, but you can save that for San Sebastian image

2old - brilliant PB image.  FRC - sounds like the right decision...plenty more chances for that PB.

Weeble - that's fantastic to hear about your run. I really hope this is the start of your Brighton build up, but even if you don't do that I'm sure you'll get there...you are being so patient and I know that's tough, so stick with it image

Oompa - likewise, sounds like you are on the right track too image

I managed a slow 12 miles yesterday. My legs felt pretty heavy after about 8 miles but no niggles or anything which is good. I was a bit nervous because it was the first weekend run after VLM 2011 when my knee went and I was just hoping not to repeat that! The main issue was the weather - I went out in the worst of the rain and wind, and despite several layers and a waterproof, plus hat and gloves, I never really warmed up. It didn't help that I wore shorts rather than anything longer and my legs just froze.  Afterwards even a hot shower didn't quite hit the mark and I was shivering for ages!  I guess it's what we need to be prepared for as we go into the winter's training image

On Saturday I went to see my podiatrist just to make sure my orthotics were all in good shape before the next marathon campaign starts...she doubles as a sports massage therapist so gave my calves a bit of a beating...painful but worth it image

I'm racing again next weekend, but only 7 miles. An odd distance but a nice event - reasonably flat course (only one hill of any note from what I remember). Not sure what time I'll be targeting...my PB from years back (c.2006 possibly) is 50.40-ish, and I would hope I can go a fair bit quicker than that. But it depends on whether my legs feel fully recovered. There's no pressure anyway, just going to enjoy it.

• Options

Oompa, Half the day has gone by 0530. I'm usually out by 0500 four mornings a week.

2OLD: Nice running

Cycled pre dawn (0500!) across the desert, club run tonight more eyeballs bulging stuff no doubt. 

• Options

5am start DD?? Lightweight. I call that a lie-in image. 4:15am for me most days image. That means I'm in bed by 9 though image but needs must.

Minni, BarryB and others: oh yeah that boring old discussion of "do you really have to run now"? Err no, hon, I don't have to but I want to image

2old: yay image that's a brilliantly fast half.

Excellent news on the injury front Oompa and Weeble image

Freemers: dunno how you do it - 12 miles only a week after a marathon image. Amazing powers of recovery!

47 miles last week - nearly there image

• Options

DD - I can understand you running at 05.00 due to the heat... but in this country... 1.5 degrees this morning!!! Forget the man-suit... Call me a lightweight if you will but i'm staying firmly in my PITimage

Weights and a swim for me tonight as calf still a bit sore.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Ok the Lancaster Half. Arrived about ten and could see the beautiful hills of the Lake District covered in white snow lit up in the bright sunshine in the distance. It was about 5 c but I knew I was going to wear a vest even though many wore leggings and jackets. Warmed up with a couple of laps of the track and then found the start area. Decided to start near the front as path narrowed and there were 500 or so runners.

Set off at 11 am as usual fast pace so held back. First mile was downhill - gradual but I knew it might not feel like that on the way back. Mile 1 in 6.42 . The route took us down along the river to a span footbridge over that and along the otherside of the river along what remained of the dock area and then onto wet and muddy paths into the country along the river estuary. People were out waking dogs riding ponies and bikes and bird watching. I tagged along with others aiming to stay under 6.50 pace which I did. Got to mile 6 in. 40.17 and knew a pb was possible if I could stick with it and not suffer too much when the hill arrived at around mile 8 as mentioned by FRC .

Anyway from going around a bend frm the 6 th mile we were now in the country and on a road. The route became hilly. The first wasn't too bad but then the next came into view and I could see a line of runners going up hill into the distance. I caught up with a runner listening to music and stuck with him. As we got near the top his pace dropped and I passed him just he started walking. Around the bend and uphill again. Mile 8 in7.01 the slowest yet but still ok overall

Now a down hill section followed by another hill and an even sharper down hill - 6.34 split mile10.

To be continued
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Lancaster Half.

So I had three miles and bit left. I could go sub 1.30 with7mm miles. I wasn't going to let that happen. I followed a Denby runner for a mile and again he slowed and I carried on he groaned as I passed him. Now I was on my own and it was becoming tougher the last couple of miles retraced the start along the river and I could see the leaders the opposite side. I caught up another runner and got held up in the narrow walkway along the river but eventually passed him. That mile was 6.53. Now for the last mile and a bit. I didn't notice the gradient. I was digging in. Soon I realised the end was near- the track finish FRC mentioned. I tried to catch a guy infront but he was too far ahead. I looked at the clock 1.28 something. I thought I'd got a pb or close and finished very happy,garmin time 1.28.27 .

Splits: 6.42,6.41,6.40,6.50,6.43,6.42,6.49,7.01,6.48,6.34,6.47,6.53,6.43,0.28.
  • Options

I knew Chickadeee would win the "getting up stupidly early award"!

DD - what time do you go to bed?

2old - brilliant well done

• Options
    Spoons - I did get up at 3.15 to hit the road for 4am when I did my mega commutes. But that was in the summer, and certainly wasn't on a daily bases.

Barry - I think we've all been there if our OH's aren't runners. Disappearing for a secret affair for a few hours, or having a secret affair with one of you lot, my cyber friends lol.

2old - Great race report, and brilliant PB.

Another beautiful sunny, frosty morning. So 7.7m @ 7.57mmp ave. Wanted to stay out longer, but had to get back. Thought my feet might get cold, as I don't wear any socks with these minamilist shoes, but surprisingly warm
  • Options

2old - well done on your speedy half, a very good effort. And was there ever any doubt you'd wear just a vest!?

Bro - commiserations on the c*ck up that was NYC but well done for getting a place at San Sebastian. Not sure if you've been before but as KFC says, it is an absolutely fabulous place. I LOVE it and am very jealous - I sat at a bar watching the marathon on my stag do (I was in the middle of a three day marathon of my own)! Make sure you get the Sunday evening there afterwards if you can, as it's a great night out and the gourmet capital of Spain.       

• Options

Wow - those are some early starts. I am strictly a day and night time runner. I actually like running at 10 at night sometimes. Good to clear your head. 

How do you morning runners fuel for the run? Do you have anything at all?

• Options

looks like Simon still beat me image

Ant: I run pretty well on empty but I make sure I eat a carb-rich dinner. If I have speedwork to do I have a coffee and a banana first. If It's just easy running I don't need anything. It's great having the world to myself. There's no traffic about and hardly any people. It also means life and work can't get in the way.

2old: those are really consistent splits. Great report image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-I owe my splits to Minni who pointed out my erratic running after VLM and it has definately made a difference.Nice 47 mile week-you are a consistent volume runner. I managed 37 last week in 4 runs.

Oomp-good to see you're mileage slowly increasing.Be patient and that IM will be there for you.I just think my training has peaked and the post race rests have helped rather than resulted in fitness loss.Not sure if I will race again this year as I cant see a free wekend to fit in with available races.

Free-12 miles after TM is pretty impressive.Ive not run further than yesterdays HM in the last 3 weeks though I suppose Im due a longer run next weekend

DD-Very impressed with the quality of your LRs after such big gaps. Do you wonder what you could do again if you reduced you bike mileage a bit and ramped up your run mileage? I cant bring myself to do the opposite and thats why I will never really progress doing tris.By the way Im not into tattoos but would like one of those IM ones

Barry/Minni- my OH tolerates my obsession and I try not to let it interfere with our family life too much.I suppose thats why you go out at such stupid times to run and I sneak them in whenever I can .Not sure how I will manage it if I try increasing my mileage to Bro and Chicks levels and still do some swims and bike work. She does complain a bit when I sit and watch TV with her after a hard run without taking a showerimage

Simon-yes the weather around here has been beautiful the last two days such that it cant but result in great runs.Nice one today

Ant-One of the current ideas is to do the longer runs without fueling up first to get the body to more efficiently fat convert which is ultimately beneficial for races over 1.5hours .Ive also reduced my reliance on gels when training so they are more effective when used in races. I try that or sometimes do what I saw a famous cyclist suggested on tv-have a slice of bread with jam-a perfect combination of slow release carbs and quick release energy.

Bro-It has been a real roller coaster of emotion for you but when you look back this weekend will be a historic moment which you have been part of. Can you tell me anything about NY 2009 Marathon?-no nor can I except I did it . Anyway you are going to blast the San Sebastiab marathon

Weeble-I like the sound of you 'steamy swim' but its probably best not to say any more here.image

Becsa-good to see that youve found cycling helping your knees-it did for me

04S-not only do you run the longest of anyone here you do it in the foulest conditions-great run

Kiwi-good to see you on youre way back

KFS-nice one

Recovery swim of 2k this lunchtime and Im ready for a long sleep tonight.

• Options

2old - in hindsight 12 miles may have been a couple too far, but no harm done! I have an enforced rest day today as work is getting in the way. No bad thing (the rest not the workimage).  Nice report there, and excellent pacing. I'd kill to run so many sub 7's in a row image

I know my OH thinks I'm a bit obsessed with running (surely not image). But he gets it easy seeing as most of my sessions are done at lunchtimes when I'm at work so he wouldn't see me then anyway. Saturdays we'll both tend to train (him in the gym and me running) so it's really only the Sunday long run or races that I'm out of the house for.  He did once comment that he sometimes wished I wasn't doing it every week, but I think has come to terms with it now.  And I no longer enflict the boredom of coming with me to races - or rather he put his foot down on that one. I can't see the point of him hanging around just to see me start and finish.  To be honest I quite like going on my own and chatting to other runners image  The time I do need to be more sensitive is when we are on holiday - generally get up to do the run before breakfast.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Great report and splits 2old! image

I'm still not well.  I now think I have the lurgy and that made my hangover seem worse yesterday.  Not going to run.  I need to survive tonight's fireworks then it will be an early night.

• Options
    Whoa, some of you guys get out of bed seriously early! Tried 5:30am runs once or rwice but it was too cold + too dark, straight after work seems easiest.

Great report 2Old + awesome splits!

Freemers - I'm much impressed 12 miles a week after a marathon, wow!

Minni - hope you feel better soon!

Am struggling with a head cold today, hope it does one before my gym induction/spin session Thursday!
  • Options

Chick -   Very decent weekly mileage, what's your next race?

2old -  Great report and an even quicker HM  time wil be yours on a quicker course, any planned?

Kiwi -  Get some First Defence for the cold, or has it taken hold.

My double went OK, but my legs were not happy running home this morning after shift, same again for the next four nights so they better get used to it.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Don't tire yourself out Barry.  More importantly, what did you think of Homeland last night?! So many twists and turns, and who is playing who.... image

Great news on the gym front Kiwi.  A great way to boost your fitness before you start getting back to the big miles (fingers crossed).

• Options
    Minni - Hope your lurgy clears up soon, but at least it's not serious like man-flu!
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    2old - those splits make me weep, that's faster than 5k pace, oh to have that speed...

Barry - you will get used to the doubles - I used to do similar (although not with nights) and the second leg jarred at first but after a while it felt nice and easy. Try running watch free and feel like you are cruising home - you may find it feels easier.

I am enjoying getting out for lots of lunchtime runs, and love the company, but I'm starting to wish I could up the pace a little. Guess I just need to hope I get at least one lunchtime when its just me and I can push it a bit more...
  • Options

Evening. Just a 3.5 mile recovery run for me tonight.

• Options

Fantastic 6 mile tempo run with the club.  First Monday for 6 weeks that I haven't raced at the weekend and I could really tell the difference - has inspired me to start doing some proper intervals [although if this weather continues my resolve might weaken]

• Options

2old, very tasty HM, nice work.

I think I'm going to have to train myself to run early. I've moved and all the best routes in my new area are daytime only options.Normally I much prefer evening runs though.

Did anyone else read the article on booze in this month's RW? I thought the gender split was interesting and should go down well with half the thread...

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Results just posted. Chip time 1.28.05. 22 seconds better than my garmin time .Average pace 6.43 mm.If I knew I was that close to 1.27 I would have found the 6 seconds! 39th overall and 5th for age group but sadly not good enough for bling .

Barry - might do one in January but it will part of marathon training so a pb is unlikely . I agree with Minni. - don't overdo it so soon before your next marathon. Better to be well rested.

KFC- I still reckon lots of miles is the key to faster running. On Sunday I was aware of how my endurance training kept me going at that speed not any interval sessions. I'm sure the longer marathon paced runs plus long runs did the trick .

Strangely I've had another allergy attack - coughing sneezing sore throat swollen eyes skin itching. Did this same time last week. Bit of a worry. Maybe allergic to our kitten.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Barry / Minni - no plot spoilers for Homeland please - I have it on Sky + but not watched yet image

2old - how come your Garmin was out by so much? Maybe it stopped on auto pause occasionally. Shame you missed a 1.27 though!

Weeble - we tried the beer-before-a-race at the Town Moor. Let's just say a peroni didn't do me any harmimage

Feeling like I may have a cold coming, just a bit of a tight throat. First Defence hopefully will do the trick. Aiming for a recovery run later so will keep it very slow.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    2old - that's a great time gain! Even better pb. image

I agree that more long runs makes halves feel easier.

I tried the wine option before TM and it didn't do me any harm.

I've given in to my cold. Not using first defence this time but letting it take it's course. Might have to miss running again tonight.