Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

IronCat - yes I am doing the Dorking sportive, just the fun route of 31 miles. Not looking forward to the first slog up to Ranmore but at least its a nice downhill before tackling Box Hill.The longer routes are deffinitely much more lumpy.

I plan to swim in the morning.

• Options

I'll drink to your success Razor.

Steady - take it easy up & Ranmore, especially if it's wet. Box hill was a treat last weekend, with the new road surface.

• Options

Er next year, sprints only. No endurance stuff. Long story, less'un you have a heart shrinking machine or can magic a catheter ablation without me noticing.

So, Cat talked me into Marlow Du, Stratford coz I missed Cake a couple of weeks ago (who is twelve by the way and I am a hundred and eleventy twelve), Cambridge Oly (a longer sprint), Outlaw run relay maybe (see long story), all the club tris if I can figure out the bike route, Brighton Marina tri which is orsum, and sprintish. Saffers Crawley tri thing which is fab but shit cheeseburgers after, G3 10K XC suicide runs plus would like to drag Smiffy over there, plus a new Guide to the Surrey Hills route which I will organise, and will hurt, a lot. And take a whole day.

• Options

And yeah Steady, watch Ranmore, tricky little sod at the moment.

• Options

Marlow Du w00p! Next year's details are not up yet, but it's a cracking morning out.

• Options

Thanks for the warnings about Ranmore IronCat and Dustboy. I have driven the road a many times but never cycled, so it may reveal a" worse than I thought" side, but the bit down towards Rusper should be OK.
    Did my swim this morning and saw Happychap, I had not swum for 2 weeks so quite tiring. Last 2 sets were 3 x 200m FC then Individual Medley, one length butterfly, which I just managed, 2 backstroke, 3 breast( I did 1) then 4 FC.

• Options
    Very impressed with your butterfly kick too ;0)
  • Options

Great going Steady - not sure I can do a length of butterfly!

Razor - that is great running image So good to hear how well you are doing.

ST - such a shame that you won't get the homemade cake... especially as I was thinking lemon drizzle, or maybe carrot and coconut slice, or double choc chip brownies, or all butter apricot flapjack, or ........

• Options

steady - well done, I would have no idea how to do butterfly!

managed 20 miles this morningimage very slow and lots of walking breaks but I did it

• Options
    Great effort, MC - well done. Now eat cake ...
  • Options
    Hi everyone had no Internet over weekend image right went for my hilly 18 miler yesterday, felt good at 17 so decided to go for 20 image at mile 19 legs started to go so had to walk for 5 minutes which helped get legs back so ran the rest back home image well chuffed 20 miles done. Question is where will I find the extra 6 miles from?image was buzzing all night after the 20 miles. Legs fine today so even better.

Nice running MC image looks like we both might hobble over line on the 4th image

Will let you all know about Bosworth stuff once I hear more.

Nice running Razor.

Alibear30 how's running going?
  • Options

well done STimage don't think I will be running the whole marathon but never mind, I will move myself around 26.2 miles somehow which is a damn sight more than most people are capable ofimage

• Options
    Defo MC I'm with you there, I'm just focusing on 8k an hour image its not fast but should get me round. Target to finish then to get under 6hrs1 which father in law did 3 years ago then try to get close to 5 hrs 30 image. 3hrs 56 for 20 miles Sat but like said last mile was a struggle. What was your time?
  • Options

you are too quick for me ST - I took nearly 4 hours 30. My target is just to finish, don't care how long, but hopefully in about 6 hours

• Options

Well done on the 20 miler ST. Now you know you can do it.

I did my ride. My legs felt tired at the start and did not get any better. At the junction at the top of Ranmore I gave a shout out to a pirate going the other way. It was Gladys who introduced himself, I was taking a quick break after the slog up the hill. Box Hill was done slowly and had a dark moment when I felt that the ride was just not fun and did I want to pull out. No I didnot, decided to carry on a bit more and do the downhill part and reasses then. At the bottom thought well the rest of the route is undulating/little hills so carry on. Enjoyed the fuel stop but at about 17-18 miles stopped to get a drink, more food and got a bad cramp in my quads. "Oh bu**er" and other words came out, thought again about pulling out but really didnot have a clue as to where exactly I was. So after a few minutes got going again but taking it easy( really easy). Got to a junction and knew roughly where I was, so just carry on, if I got cramp bad again then I would call it a day. Slow plod in the sunshine, a little walk up a bit of a little hill. Got back to the finish in one piece. Chris Boardman shook my hand at the finish, got a medal and goody bag. Went and got a cup of tea and more cake. There was no queue for a sports massage so decided to have one to ease the quads. I was seen by a physio and SMT that treats pro athletes and the English National Ballet. He found the sore bits and doing one stretch I went into cramp which he was not suprised at. Afterwards he gave me loads of advice on stretching including what he calls 3d stretches.

Now tired and I have stretched, waiting for Mr Steady to come home from work to have dinner, but he has rung up to say home at 8.30pm image

• Options
    MC when you see me staggering about at mile 23 just give me a kick up the A@@ and get me moving again image
  • Options
    Well done Steady image 8.30 I'll be in bed by then lol
  • Options

Steady - well done, and the massage sounds good. I am never sure whether you have to pay for the massages when I have seen a massage tent at a tri

ST - doubt whether I will be able to lift my leg high enough to kick your a** by mile 23

• Options

ST- I don't really want to wait that long for my dinner, but its sausage casserole and already in the oven. I will probably be asleep infront of the telly as soon as I have eaten it.

• Options
    MC my A** won't be that high cause I'll be crawling by then lolimageimage

Mmmmm love sausage casserole image
  • Options
    Well done ST, MC, looks like you 2 have got your running sorted and well done on your ride Steady.
  • Options

Well done Steady

ST - 20 miles! image Great run.. yeah you will find the extra 6. It's quite amazing how it all somehow clicks into place when you're out there. With all the other folk and the buzz of the race you will do fine. And you MC. Am very impressed that you did 20 miles and a swim on the same day!

• Options

Good work all. Those dark places will help for your IM bike leg Steadyimage. Great effort ST and MC!

• Options

4hrs 12 mins for my 20 miles ST so you'll loose the last place race race to me image

But that means all three of us are set and ready to race. Lovely taper time now.

• Options

just back from the tri club swim - couldn't believe we spent an hour working on our kick! wonder what my legs will feel like in the morningimage

Ali - yep, I am looking forward to not doing another 20 miles before the real thing

• Options

Well done Alibear! 

MC - so I take it you are cycling to work in the morning? lol image You train so hard, you deffinitely put me to shame.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC,ST and AliBear - well done on your 20mile runs! You're all set now for the mara! I'll be thinking of you when I'm enjoying my birthday celebrations. image

Chili - well done on sticking it out. I have had couple of those when cycling,it can be a total mind game.

Have taken my trainers to work with me so the plan is easy 3miles at lunch time weather permitting.

• Options

Maths I work with some folks who do deep tissue massage stuff and as a general rule if it cost's £15 to £20 it's a good deal and if it's above £30 they better be good. That's for about 15 to 30 minutes depending on what you need. I'm assuming steady's sports terrorist is very good with what they do and will probably change accordingly.

image When you saw Gladys was there a bit of mincing involved? image

• Options
    Taper? Taper what's that? I've not done enough to Taper me thinks? Last 7 weeks three 4 miles two 6 miles one 9 one 16 and one 20. I think I'm best carrying on till week before race. Might try an 18 miler this week or should I do 20 again? Any advice from the racing snakes? Chilli Rafi or IronCat?

Mikasa this might sound strange but I find the first 6 miles the hardest? Between 1-6 I could quite easily jack in. After that things settle down, very strange or is that normal? So good luck with 3 miler