Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Just a 4 mile plod for me today. Tapirs play tricks with my head image

Well done to all you 1/2 marathoners yesterday and especially well done to everyone who got a shiny new pb.

Warkie, now can we tempt you to the full monty?

JohnM, aha, now I understand. Excellent time for your 22 miles. That should have given you bags of confidence.

Sew-on badges? I used to love those when I was younger and had them sewn all over my tennis bag image

Alan, sounds as if it went really well. Well done you and your team!
  • Options

No running for me today. I hurt.image

I'll get out for a plod tomorrow.

• Options

I saw you Liverbird at the finish!

You ran straight past me. 

What a cracking race. Loads of Penny Lane Striders got PBs. Perfect conditions.

I did 17 on Saturday and now I'm tapering on the couch!

• Options
    Russell - I just saw your banner at the top of Upper Parliament Street as I shouted over to you. I managed to knock one of my safety pins out of my race number as I passed you and tried to fix it on the move. Not easy, I assure you.
  • Options

Another one who didn't say hello! image

I felt utterly knackered at the end! I was just so relieved to finish!

• Options

Russell - I meant to ask you....

How did the parkrun go?

I thought the terrain underfoot in parts of Princes Park was a bit slippy and potholed yesterday. Are people finding it ok?

• Options
    yes redhead feeling confident after that run, so fingers crossed!
    sew on badges would be great Alan!! fantastic idea! used to have loads when i was young for scouts, footie etc!
  • Options

Liverbird ..sorry  think i saw you as well and as i was looking for the Wife at the time failed to say Hello just like you feeling it today !!!

Redhead..I will be training for a Marathon not sure when i will be able to do one after yesterday i could have run on and maybe done another couple of miles but i think that would be it.And as we have a 1year old to look after training regime can be difficult too probably next year (defo on the cards)

However hope to see the Liverpool runners for the 10k Tunnel run in June...image

• Options

The Parks People have funding to repair some of the potholes in Princes Park in the near future. parkrun went really well. 47 runners, 17 volunteers. Not bad for a first event!

Glad you managed to retain your number lfc!

• Options

Fantastic Race, got a PB by 8 minutes!  Excellent course and great support.

We arrived at 7:45 so parking was perfect right next to the start and toilets were empty, definately advise parking early if doing again.  Start was a bit crowded, but i wasnt too bothered about that i was through the funnel in 5 mins.  Where were the toilets at half way?  I didnt see any, was dying to go all the way and had to hang on!image

Anyway, only criticisms i have are nowhere near enought toilets (as always!) and the wait at the end for goody bag was awful, and for £29 a couple of wet wipes, tea bag, loo roll and a  t shirt that was too big is not really very good.  I finished around the 2 hr mark and there were only large and extra large t shirts left, why is this?  When people expressed annoyance at not having their size one of the hander outers said 'take your bag and move along, come on its only a bloody t shirt, its not a fashion item!!' lol

• Options

Enjoyed the race yesterday, 1:31:13 time, not a PB but 5 mins quicker than 4 Villages and 3 mins quicker than last year, so well pleased with it.  

Was it just me or did it seem a little bit short?  There were a few corners that could have been cut, which I think should have been taped off.  Just an observation. 

Now should I do the big one in October?  I said never again last time (and 4 times before that!!!)

• Options
    Does anyone know the website for piccies of yesterday's race?
  • Options
    There is a link on the half marathon thread lagerman
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Lagerman, just get your entry in now, you know you want to!

Adidas rep, this is the marathon thread not the 1/2 image

Russell, that's a jolly good turnout for a first event. Well done.
  • Options
    So glad the Marathon isn't finishing along the prom like yesterday's half - that weaving in and out with the bottle necks just takes your legs out from you!

Saw the RL book in the goody bag Alan - loved the idea of patches for the marathon races - collect them like old school athletics badges! Looks like Derek Hughes has a good set on his trackie - how about getting close ups of each of them and adding them to the site so we can take a good look at them. would love to see them.
  • Options
    Enjoyed my first half yesterday so much that I've signed up for the full today !! It felt absolutely brill crossing the finish line yesterday so I'm really excited about how it's going to feel finishing a full marathon ? Really really can't wait image
  • Options

Good man Mr Sparra!

Now what do you want to know about marathon training and have you signed up to the Runliverpool facebook page?

• Options
    I was hoping yesterday would spur me to enter the full but in reality it has done the opposite. The thought of double the distance after yesterdays performance just not sure I have it in me. Don't know how you lot do these long long runs.
  • Options
    That's how I thought S30 4 years ago after completing the Liverpool half, but once the sore legs ease my thinking became 'well I've completed the half....what next'.

4 marathons later I still question my sanity (usually around the 18 mile mark) but i guess it's the buzz, yesterday was fantastic and I'm sure the locals will do the Mersey marathon proud.

Well done on finishing yesterday.
  • Options

SC - I agree. At 17 miles in a marathon I have a word with myself that usually goes something like this...

"What the **** are you DOING?"

"Who me?"

"Yes YOU! You can't run. You're an idiot to even think you should be here"

"Well I am here, so STFU and let's do this".....image

And then you cross the finish and tell that other self to bugger off.image

• Options

adidas rep - that was ME shouting at the runners to move through the tent. It never ceases to amaze me how hung up some people get about something as basic as a T shirt. In the instructions it clearly states that in the instance where a particular size is exhausted you will be offered the next available size. Personally I've never been bothered about what you got in return for the entrance fee as I jus like to run. Most of the entrance fee goes to the costs of staging the event as I have said often in the past.

As for the Goody Bag I have contemplated getting rid of them altogether as some people expect too much out of them. Note - NO SPORTS BRAND support for the event! Perhaps you could have a word with your employers??

Sazza 30 - where is your inner strength?? Come on...

Lagerman - the course was stunningly accurate. Ask Brian Grice the course measurer.

Now get on the right thread...

• Options
    What do we want to know about Marathon training LB? Everything!!! After the half yesterday I realise just how much more training and how focussed I need to be. 1:58 for the half but I couldn't have even gone to 14 miles!
  • Options
    Alan Rothwell wrote (see)

As for the Goody Bag I have contemplated getting rid of them altogether as some people expect too much out of them. Note - NO SPORTS BRAND support for the event! Perhaps you could have a word with your employers??

I couldn't agree more.

If you DO get rid of them I won't be complaining. I don't consider the goody bag part of my entry fee. It's a bag of freebies, not something I've bought. If you want top stuff in a carrier bag, go to Harrods food hall!

Alan - I wouldn't bother trying to defend the course length. You and I know it was absolutely fine and unless you can GUARANTEE you ran the line, then people are bound to have slightly different Garmin measurements!

• Options
    Stillwaters wrote (see)
    What do we want to know about Marathon training LB? Everything!!! After the half yesterday I realise just how much more training and how focussed I need to be. 1:58 for the half but I couldn't have even gone to 14 miles!

That's fine SW! It was a race! If you finish feeling you can go and pop another 10 miles in, you're running at the wrong pace!

The trick for the next step is to slow DOWN and build the mileage gradually. And always remember your rollback weeks are important for rest and recovery and are not there as an opportunity to cross train. If you want any help feel free to shout. Hopefully now the half is over this thread will move onto marathon talk. I don't claim to have all the answers but I've done plenty wrong so I can share what NOT to do with you!

• Options
    Alan my inner strength appeared to dessert me yesterday up until the half way point, only time felt strong was round Sefton park. When hit otterspool my inner strength left all together hence a personal worst. The GNR felt easier last year i should Been laughing on yesterdays course.

How are marathon enteries going, may take a risk and enter just feels like a mammoth task though. Whatever doesn't break ya makes ya stronger ah.
  • Options

Alan - I would suggest doing away with the goody bags and doing separate technical t-shirts sold prior to the event with any left overs sold on the day.

I much prefer a technical t-shirt and gives out good advertising for your events, more likely to be seen and noticed by other runners as I am unlikely to wear a cotton tshirt (Mrs JP often has them for PJ tops)

Technical Tshirts will be worn out on runs down the gym etc and gets others asking what the race is like.

Sazza - get the entry in plenty of time to train, perfect time for training, long runs on a summers evening

LB - I think you should start charging for training plans, take over from Shades image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Alan, you don't get a goody bag at the Hastings 1/2; just a horse brass rather than a medal. Goody bags often have rubbish in them anyway (except for the Tunbridge Wells 1/2 which was full of goodies and is the only one I've enjoyed delving into).

Sazza, please don't be put off by a bad race. I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago at a 1/2 where I was expecting to pb and then ended up doing a pw! These things happen and you can't always work out why.

Stillwaters, a large part of marathon running is in your mind and that's where your training comes in. You have to learn to silence the demons, as LB said, and plod on regardless. I've done plenty of marathons now but I still have gremlins telling me that I'm too old/fat/slow to be at the start line image If you believe you can then you will complete your marathon. If you think you can't, then you probably won't!

Oooh, looks as if we might get some more marathon entries. Excellent!
  • Options
    agree. At 17 miles in a marathon I have a word with myself that usually goes something like this...

"What the **** are you DOING?"

"Who me?"

"Yes YOU! You can't run. You're an idiot to even think you should be here"

"Well I am here, so STFU and let's do this".....image

And then you cross the finish and tell that other self to bugger off.image

sounds familiar lb

• Options

I normally have that conversation with my self on the Start Line!!

I am usually Ok once I start running, but before the race it is easy to convince yourself that you have not done enough training or you have a slight niggle etc to put you off.

The sense of satisfaction at the finish is amazing, you will probably say never again, but within a matter of days you will be looking for the next one

• Options
    I had the exact same conversation with myself before the start yesterday and then for the whole 13.1 miles i thought why the hell do i do this, why oh why.  I am sure my words in a full marathon will be a lot stronger ha.