Options

C.C.C/UTMB

Comments

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Training tips would be very welcome from those who have experience, how do you get enough hill training in, the Southdowns just don't seem technical or hilly enough!
  • Options

OK touie2

The South Downs way is considerably better than anything I had to work with in Leicestershire. You can always find some sort of section of steep or technical hill, and just keep blasting up and down it.  

I don't know exactly where you live, but if you are quite close to the North Downs Way, the the ascents are a bit sharper and more technical than the SDW. A lot of CCC and UTMB entrants who live in the south, seem to use Box Hill.   

For a project of this importance, it might even be worth your while to take a trip to the Peak District or Snowdonia, to get in some high quality hill training sessions.  

• Options

SO if you don't get in - keep the holiday you've booked and do this instead. As a bonus it's harder and rougher than UTMB. 

www.lechappeebelledonne.com/

Write up of last year if your not sure. 

http://theultracool.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/lechappee-belle-2014/

• Options

Hi all. How did everyone get on in the ballot? For me it is TDS place paid (and that wasn't a 2nd choice due to failed ballot either) ;)

Ross - That does sound like a cool and really tough race. I preferred the somewhat rougher going of the TDS to UTMB so I'm returning to that to sort my unfinished business now I feel a bit more experienced. But EBHH sounds a sorely tempting one for the future, in the bookmarks (wishlist).

touie/ben - Your not alone by any means. There will be a fair bit of hill repping on the toughest local hills for me I think as I won't be able to escape to bigger hills that often.

I might do an AL fell race or two if it fits, also considering 10peaks the lakes: long as the overall amount of climb per mile is similar even if climb lengths and elevation aren't quite as big (they aren't in the UK anywhere are they). Hopefully also will have the opportunity to support a BGR and maybe some of the Cambrian way.

I've been thinking ahead of what I can do better than last time - when my training was as good as any I've done, but not enough to see me around. Figured I'd share as it might help others with their approach to CCC/TDS/UTMB. Its not just the miles and the ascent/descent stats. Recently reading Spine reports has made me realise I really need to prepare to handle the weather and cope with the variety of conditions experienced between 800m altitude and 2600m. In the very mildest conditions I could anticipate its still going to be a large temperature swing between high and low (more than I appreciated before my first venture). The training needs to be as much about finding the kit that works and in what conditions it works best as the miles in order to keep me in a good mental place I think. TDS is probably the only event where I can say the weather beat me (or a bad kit choice in weather on an exposed part of the course did). So I'm hoping for a right old mix of weather in my training experience!

The other thing for me is the food. I ended up over-relying on salty broth to try and get me out of suffering last time as for some reason struggled with the CP food on offer (despite it sounding adequate in descriptions you'll read). I'll be taking more of my own food on course than in previous ventures. I'm not saying this will be a problem for all UK runners, but I've read a few blogs of others who also had fuelling issues in these races.

• Options

Oh.... and because I never tire of the debate - not planning on using polesimage and I know I'm making life difficult for myself.

I'm going to be almost the stereotypical brit trail runner as nearly everybody else uses them and I seem to recall an old post where somebody said you could "spot the brit", just look for somebody with no poles, inov8 shoes, or an OMM bag. I was 'guilty' on all counts last time I was there (even wearing a St George cross buff in case there was doubt). But I've moved with the times since then and become a bit more euro, likely using my s-lab 12 pack and scarpa sparks (if they bed in well).

• Options

DE: I agree with you about both the range of temperatures & the food.

You can get the impression from the coverage of the front-end of the field, that it's possible to skip around in shorts, vest and a lightweight jacket. But even in a 'good' weather year the temperature can vary by 20 degrees C.

I found the race food was OK, but not much variety and you need sharp elbows to get at it. It's a couple of years since I've done one of the races though, so things might have changed.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    DE - I'm back out for CCC. Will join you being pole free. I tried them last year and hated them. Really hinders all the other stuff that should be simple like eating and drinking. Will never use them again.

TDS looks great, there are some great runners across all events which should make for good racing!
  • Options

Yes an, on both my visits there was a fairly significant temperature variance due to weather/altitude/time of day, I can't recall experiencing that much difference at home on any run anywhere, which suggests the altitude is mostly responsible.

2011 UTMB started in rain and cold overnight (delayed start that year), snow on col's and cold to match, in Courmeyeur it was really hot mid/late afternoon and then by Arnuva I was freezing again with the prospect of Grand Col du Ferret! 2012 TDS was milder temperatures allround, started on a fairly cool morning, cold on col's, warm enough below 1000m for t-shirt and shorts, then into heavy wind and rain by late afternoon which made it feel really cold and I ended up straying too close to hypothermic. So, for those new to mountain trails in high altitudes be prepared!

Enjoy the CCC WiB, that's an event I'll try one year I'm sure. Is a speedster like yourself targeting a particular time or just a strong round? Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds having hand tied much of the time up a bit overcomplicating.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I am not too worried about times, I would like to be able to race a few people but will see what kind of shape I can get myself in before setting any goals!

• Options

I'm into the CCC, my first time, hopefully I do OK. I think I will go for poles but try and get some practice in before I go.

How do you guys deal with accommodation etc around the week, just look for apartments etc around Chamonix? Any pointers on decent places to stay?

• Options

Hi dannybruk. I've used Chamonix.net to search accommodation and a few other sites before. First time stayed in a great little 'mazot' (small chalet) 5mins from town centre -but its booked this year. Next year I hotel'd it with missus in nearby village of Argentiere in hotel les grands montets which was nice, but like all hotels in the valley quite expensive (4* seems to be £100 per night or more most places).

This time I'm travelling solo and trying to keep the costs down so have gone for a budget option on a friends recommendation - (hostel) Le Chamoniard Volant which is cheap at less than 20e per night and seems to offer the basics of a dorm bed, cooking facilities, showers, breakfast and evening meal options at extra cost. And best bit is that pretty close to Chamonix centre and the race HQ at the centre sportif.

Depends what you want to spend and how close to Chamonix centre on what the best option is for you. You don't seem to get much for you money re. hotels or chalets in Chamonix so end up £100+ per night. I stayed in Argentiere in 2012 where the hotel was probably better value for money than equivalent comfort levels in Chamonix. Also the transport on buses is free throughout the week so just a 20min ride to Chamonix. Downsides - Not so many eating options there and the buses to Chamonix don't run very late so having an evening meal in the town would mean a taxi or something back.

If I'd been travelling with missus+boy I'd considered staying in Courmayeur this year as TDS starts there and I think there was a bus service on offer to get you to Cham to do pre-race (in event guide I think)? Not sure if anything laid on for return trips. The missus speaks Italian and hotels seem a bit cheaper there. May be an option to consider for CCC? but on the other hand the atmosphere in Chamonix is a big part of the event and probably worth experiencing for yourself the first time.

But Chamonix.net is a good place to start as you can search hotels, hostels, chalets, apartments - the latter seem invariably cheaper than hotels and chalets.

• Options

And for the flights out Easyjet seem to be cheapest option to Geenva and only real option in the north. Better choice of flights if you fly from London and BA don't cost that much more. From Geneva its less than 2hours by bus/minibus if I recall and a few companies do the trip regularly.

• Options

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I'm flying solo too so going to go as cheap and cheerful as possible, planning to stay in Chamonix as I want to soak up the atmosphere. image Off to chamonix.net now, see what's still available....

• Options

No problem. There is more than one hostel quite close to Chamonix centre, I only enquired end of last week and as well as Le Chamionard Volant, Skistation.fr and La Montagne also had beds for dates I enquired on and both appear to be close to the centre which is a useful thing for the legs 'post' eventimage

I'm out there from late Monday 24th to Friday 28th. Might miss some of the CCC/UTMB'ers as I'm flying back on the Friday and guess you'll be busy getting registered, ready when I'm recovering, etc... but would be good to catch up with anybody doing any event if possible. And if your doing TDS then to have a celebratory drink afterwards (I hope).

• Options

Does anyone know what the approximate odds are for getting into the CCC (obviously thinking ahead to 2016). Think I'm too much of a wuss to go straight into the UTMB!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    About 1 in 2 has been the usual for the previous couple of years.
  • Options

From website when registration closed:
    January 6th at midnight, 15 785 runners, representing 84 different countries are candidates.

• The UTMB®, is today, standing at 218% full, there will be a 1 in 2 chance of being successful in the draw.
    • The CCC®, is today, standing at 142%, there will be a 7 in 10 chance of being successful in the draw.
    • The PTL® is full, registration has closed.
    • The TDS®, is today, 84% full. It is therefore the only event which offers an almost certain chance of participating in 2015. It will not, however, have the capacity to accept those unlucky in the other draws (*).
    • The OCC, is today, 255% full ; there will be a 2 in 5 chance of being successful in the draw.

Sorry to hear that Cragchick, I'm sure you can find some great adventures closer to home and get something big in for 2016!

• Options

WiB - I bet you take polesimage 

• Options

Hi to all the lucky TDS candidates. I've got a place and have plenty of hills to train on (North Downs). I am trying to find a training plan to start soon though. Have completed the 3x3000 in the Lakes last year with a plan based roughly on this Ultra running ladies one for 50Miles:

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp

This plan relies on 2 days back to back covering a distance totalling about 80% of race distance (ie 40miles in my case last year) at peak training point before taper.

When looking at 100km or even 100Miler plans they generally appear to require more weeks of training but the back to back runs which worked for me previously are shorter in total. 

I am concerned that I will not be prepared enough for the TDS but would welcome any wisdom from anyone who has run 75 miles plus and agrees that you should be fine using this kind of plan if it has worked before. I guess longer = slower for us mere humans and although I finished the 3x3000 in 11 hrs my aim for TDS is just to finish in one piece (24-28 hours would be nice though!)

• Options

Hi Jon, welcome, your in for a treat!

If I've learned anything from my experiences in UTMB events to take forward to this one its got to be that the miles done on your long run aren't all important, its where/how you do them. This plan looks ok as a base in terms of your long distances, as I would if I could do most of my mileage at weekend in prep for this too. The old advice for ultra that measure your long outings in hours rather than miles makes lots of sense here.

You'd be best to add an extra level of detail into you plan to say what kind of terrain you'll do the miles on. Unlike a road marathon or even a runnable trail 50 or 100 miler the more miles the better in training won't necessarily increase chance of success here. Or at least only give mileage second billing.

I.e. If you run 80% upwards of the miles in your long run  and end up averaging say 5-7mph, you are only training yourself to run long distances efficiently and fast. I'd suggest adding in a level of planning to set a target for the make-up of long runs. Its extremely hard to simulate the type of hills you'll ascend/descend on the TDS in the UK as even some of the smaller climbs there are the size of big climbs in Lake District, and hilly areas of Wales, Scotland...

The guys who live places with big hills and mountains probably don't have to think about this as much. But you, like me, might have the challenge of putting together some LSR with routes so hilly you have to walk significant bits. Within the limits of the smaller hills of Downs (I use the East Yorksire Wolds, which are similarly sized). I try to regularly do as many hours on my feet on routes which piece together as much continuous ascent-descent repeated as I can for this. Even if most of the climbs are 150-500ft or so, if done back to back you will likely have to walk many bits - especially if steep. This sort of LSR will be the backbone of my training I won't get much chance to escape to bigger hills. Long walking hill reps (ascent and descent) on the biggest steepest hills you discover - would be boring, but done occasionally could be tolerable and I guess would boost the hilliness to the max.

3x3000's sounds like a good event to use as training as works out about 260ft of climb per mile. I hope to get to Lakes to put some testing big climbs and time on feet into my legs, Bob Graham round recces, long fell races, 10peaks event courses etc would also be great prep as get you on some of the longer steeper climbs in England. As the key things to practice for TDS I would say are as below, as that's what a lot of the event is:

• lots of walking up hills (the biggest climb is over 5000ft with the odd bit of descent thrown in, but not much). About the steepest is near the end.
    • running down, walking where needed, long and sometimes steep hills (again some of the descents are thousands of feet - probably as big a leg killer as the ascents).
    • still being able to run between the aforementioned image
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Reassuring to hear from someone with UTMB experience about what can work training wise. I am learning as you say that time on feet can trump distance. Had doubts I'd be able to run for 11 hours in the Lakes 3x3000 when my longest training run was only about 4hrs, but the changes in pace / tempo due to steep climbs / terrain / eating and aid stations etc makes it easier to keep going vs the continuous pounding I guess your body takes on a flat ultra or even tarmac marathon.

Just need to confirm my kit list and get some practice with the poles!
  • Options

Hi Jon. No problem, hopefully others can post there thoughts too as some far more experienced heads on here than me and no doubt a variance of ideas on how to train to make this as painless as possible image

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Jon - I've done the TDS, plus been round the UTMB route ten times. (half race, half training).  You'll rarely spend more than an hour or so running non-stop (downhill to Bourg St Maurice for example).

However, you will spend at least 10-12 hours or longer walking uphill.  Some of the climbs are brutal.  As DEoT says, the 5000ft climb out of of Bourg SM might take you three hours or longer, and the final climb up to Col de Voza is so steep, I passed someone sat down and crying by the side of the trail when I did it (it was a man!!).

As such, the more time you can spend walking uphill strongly, the better.  If you can get out to the mountains in advance, it will be time well spent.  If you're stuck to the UK, then get to Snowdonia or the Lake District if you can, and spend a full weekend or two going up and down.  I find that for a couple of months before, I'll spend loads of trainign time in the gym on the stepper machine.  Just plug in some music or stick a film on the iPad and put in at least half an hour to an hour a day on it.  Just as valuable as 20-30 mile runs in my view (I do those as well!).

I'm doing the Mont Blanc 80k in June as my main training run for the CCC this year.

Good luck; hope you enjoy it.  It's a fantastic event; hard, but achievable if you show it the respect it deserves.

• Options

Thanks Dan. Lots of good advice. I think I'm going to be seeing a lot of Box Hill over the next few months! 

• Options

Been doing some non-running prep in my lunch hours picking out the biggest climbs in Wolds from map for rep sessions or in hope of chaining together a route with most ascent/descent possible. Certainly no BourgStM length climbs!several in region of 500-650ft at my disposal and varying from (within 40mins drive) 1.1-1.6m. To put that in perspective a quick bit of maths suggests to me its about 5850ft from Bourg StM to Passeur Pralognan over about 8.1m - which includes some downhill as well - so this section still climbs more feet-per-mile than my local big (small) climbs image

Not all bad news though, looking smaller there is a .4m hill with 349ft climb so repping that for a few hours would be a good if lunacy inducing session.

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

The problem with reps though is you just don't get tired like you do on the long climbs in the Alps. Mentally knowing you've got a 2-3hr constant climb coming is quite draining too where as reps (at least round my way) are no longer than 10 mins max. My best training day for CCC was probably in Brecon, doing as many long topbottom loops as I could.

I think whatever you do so long as you put the time in you'll be fine. Unless you're a keen racer I would try to forget about the clock and just try to enjoy it as much as possible. I started right near the back and a very steady run meant I was overtaking the whole time, nearly 1000 places from first CP to the finish! Having something you can eat at all times will help too. It can get quite hot in the day and quite cold at night so your body can get a bit messed up, I was surviving on noodle soup and oranges mostly, which towards the end wasn't giving enough calories.

• Options

Know what you mean shawk, the reps and very undulating run on localish small hills is my best endeavours plan for the weeks I can't get to higher ground.

I also have struggled with the eating in UTMB events, choice seems great at first, but like yourself once body is a bit messed up I was over-relying on the noodle soup.