Options

C.C.C/UTMB

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

Tore one of my calf muscles a month ago so no training for me, hoping to turn up and get around with poles and determination image and also hoping to get some walking steep hill practice in beforehand, I think it is going to be long weekend!

• Options
    Good luck touie2. Thought my calf was on the mend after doing long walks and shorter runs, but struggling to get past 12 miles at the moment. Wondering if I may have to defer if no improvement in next week image
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Touie2 - that is a high risk strategy and (fwiw) not one I'd recommend.  Back in 2012 I was planning to run the UTMB (for the 6th year in a row) but tore a calf muscle in March.  Was only just getting back into it and entered the Verbier St Bernard trail 68k in July, which is similar profile to CCC/UTMB, but had to abandon.  Calf wasn't so much the problem, though still painful.  It was the lack of specific training.  Turning up and hoping for the best isn't really possible on this type of mountain ultra; you have to respect the terrain, elevation, steepness, altitude etc.  As such I withdrew from the UTMB but was back to complete the TDS the following year (deferral isn't/wasn't an option).

Hope that you're successful in whatever you decide.  But don't underestimate the size of the challenge if you are new to this sort of thing.  It will find you out if you are underprepared, no matter how strong you think you are mentally.  Save yourself for another year when you can give it the full beans.
    Good luck.

• Options
    I know lack of training is risky but wonder if anyone has any experience of deferral due to medical / injury reasons? The official Web page advises sending a medical report for review by their panel but not that you are ensured a place the following year. My concern is not being able to finish but even more so trying to defer and being refused a place next year. All races are now ballot and points needed go up regularly, so getting a place isn't going to be easy.
  • Options

Hope all of you with injury woes either can get sufficiently recovered in next few weeks or make the call to rebuild for next year (or another great trail race in meantime). jont9, reads to me as you say that no guaranteed place if you do withdraw from this year, just a 'priority registration' for same race the following year...

Priority registration

Runners who have been refused twice for the same race in the draws for 2014 & 2015 and who never transferred their registration to the TDS®, will benefit individually from a priority registration for the same race (without passing through the draw – under the condition that they have the required points) in 2016.

• Options

CANCELLATION OF A REGISTRATION IN THE CASE OF INJURY

In the case of injury, and uniquely in this case, which occurs after registration and which can not be  cured before the day of the race, the organisation recommends that the injured runner does not put themselves unnecessarily at risk, and that they cancel their registration and request the postponement of their race to the following year. To do this the runner must make a  request to the Organisation's Medical Committee. This request must be accompanied by a detailed medical report. If the medical Committee are in agreement, the runner will benefit from a priority registration the following year for the same race.

Only the medical committee can judge these requests and their decision is final.

All requests for postponement must be sent to us, accompanied by the medical report, within, at the latest, 10 days after the event. All requests will be dealt with within the two months following the event.

• Options

I agree with DanA though and if short distances and british hills are hurting you just consider what 60m+ of alps and associated weather and time on feet might do. If you've not got an injury that causes only minor pain/discomfort then you might be able to tough one of these events out assuming you have sufficient pace in the mountains to not meet a time cut-off. But even with no injuries as such your head can always talk you into a DNF.

In 2011 UTMB - with the confidence of a Lakeland 100 completion (just inside time limit) the previous year - I suffered mild altitude sickness and lots of tiredness on first 2000ft+ Col (delayed start to 11pm and I'd been up since 7am which hadn't helped). Started to get pain in one leg and knee and slowed down so much that by Arnuva, 59m and second night I was close to cut-offs and called it a day faced with Grand Col Ferret. In reality I'd underestimated the challenge.

In 2012 I knew my enemy better and trained harder on hills for the TDS. Challenges this time were worse weather and heightened expectations (had my head set I could do 24hours), I got soaked and very cold on the road to Cormet de Roselend and struggled when I simply ran out of energy on the uphill's I struggled to keep going and I couldn't run downhill's. I stopped for a half hour nap at Col du Joly. But didn't want to start again when I got up. In reality I probably could have toughed out a finish within the timeouts - I had over 13 hours left to do the remaining 20 or so miles. Sounds easy sitting here now.

The latter DNF mentioned here bothers me more. As well as good physical training I feel I'm a bit mentally tougher for the TDS this time around after a few more DNF and more long day challenges since then. I now have a few more challenges/questions I can ask myself when I consider hanging up my shoes early - one of which is "you know it might take you nearly as long to be repatriated back to finish as it would to follow the course there? You might as well run, walk, hop, crawl there rather than sit around waiting for busses".

• Options

Had a bit about my last long training run here, but can't seem to post without losing most of entry today. So short and sweet instead -

Not a massive distance. Around Hope Valley in Peak District, not TDS size climbs by any means, but at 250ft asc and desc per mile over 24m felt useful and I was moving at over 4mph, whereas at TDS I have expectations of being ~3mph.

Hope everybody else is going well and if your have concerns have taken the safe option with regards to "there'll always be another year".

• Options

Try again...

Last long training run done and probably a bit if a taper from here. I popped over to peak district specifically to get a few longer climbs than in my area. Too busy at weekend and not much leave left from work so just took a half day and headed to Losehill YHA nr. Castleton for a 2.30pm start with a latest finish time of about 8.15pm so I could get a meal back at the YHA (in hindsight I wouldn't have booked this and ran a bit later to catch the dark).

Up and down Losehill, west - back up to Hollins X, Over Mam Tor and up Rushup Edge for awhile before north turn and steepish descent and over fields to climb Jacobs Ladder (no not the bridge between heaven and earth but the stepped track up towards Kinder), followed the undulating, boluder strewn Edale Skyline east and missed planned descent point of Grindsbrook Clough to go back up near Ringing Roger. So took next path down to descend Ringing Roger part way to Edale before a steeper route back up onto the Skyline and eastward again. Short of time I had to cut some of route going round the east of Win Hill to go over it via steep Parkin Clough and instead I headed more or less straight at it barring dropping down to a lower path and ascending a steep field. Then I headed towards Losehill again, but short of time, part way up cut back onto path I'd headed out on back to YHA.

Not TDS size climbs by any means, but at 250ft asc and desc per mile over this sort of distance felt useful and I was moving at over 4mph, whereas at TDS I have expectations of being ~3mph

Decided on run as hadn't quite done the time on feet I'd have liked that I'd make the most of rest of time I had here as had to be back at desk today for 9am.

Headed back out after tea for a mile around YHA grounds as darkness fell to test new headtorch. I already had a reasonably bright one (led lenser H7R), but battery life not the best and had let me down a few times so I'd picked up a Silva Crosstrail which benefits from a few extra lumens and boasts better battery life (helped by an extra AAA battery over the H7R no doubt). Worked well, though not pitch black the lowest of 3 'big' LED power settings did me well for light. And the 2 'mini' LED setting was good for map reading.

Then up at 5.30 and had a crack at the 3m Losehill out and back from YHA without the burden of a pack. I could certainly feel I'd run for hours the day before, but ultimately no bad aching or stiffness, injuries, hotspots on feet and I could run the flat and downhills.

All in all a cracking 21hr escape and has done little to dent my confidence whilst giving me the confidence of more hills in the legs.

• Options
    Sounds like you are in good condition for the big day Drunken.

Confident I 'll be on the start line and done some good distance after my calf injury finally seems to have recovered.

Just need insurance now.... Most don't seem to cover timed events so looking at Austrian mountaineering club to cover helicopter if necessary!

Looking forward to getting back to Cham!
  • Options

Hope you got insurance sorted jon?

I've been spending the last few days on and off getting stuff printed off for this. Think I've covered it but plenty of stuff for this kind of 'holiday' image -
    airport parking,
    flight dets (boarding pass),
    airport transfer,
    hostel dets,
    pass ultra trail (local discounts),
    info about carte de hote (free travel in Cham),
    TDS "to start" transfer booking details (email and attachment as not clear which or if both needed),
    event guide,
    hopefully that's everything?

Race vest has been packed to a TDS kit level of gear for the last few LSR,
    have gear in mind for event (but will no doubt take dozens more items just in case of any predicted 'worse than normal' weather) - will be pleased as punch to spend as much time in shorts and t-shirt as possible (but I'm sure plenty of warm kit will be on at some stage even if just overnight,
    Chamonix area weather checked (regularly, nothing scary thus far),
    even Set up bespoke 'jovial' facebook msgs for passing CP and finish (and for withdrawal... gulp) on livetrail (give those back home something to look at)...

Don't feel like I've been running much, not bad tapertitis, but do feel a little sluggish and stiff on the run. Had some good distractions like moving house, lots of work, amongst other things, till last week but now I'm seeking distractions wherever they may be. Time is passing inordinately slowly this week image

Reading Lizzy Hawkers book as plenty of mention of UTMB etc... as well as all the other great places she has run. Only she makes it sound so easy haha.

Roll on Monday and flight time!

• Options
    Hi Drunken. I'm sorted... Went with Dogtag in the end. I'm all packed and ready to drive out thus afternoon. Likewise I have loads of kit options in case of bad weather but local forecast looking good for middle of next week so fingers crossed! I'll have fresh tops and bottom layer in my half way bag, so may upgrade to thicker layers if I am going slow or weather declining. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    Hope everyone does or has done OK in their respective events. My main target was to complete TDS and that is job done image more grizzly detail later
  • Options

Good luck everyone.

• Options
    TDS done. 28h 45. Didn't think I would even make the start line a few weeks ago due to injury! Never had so much genuine support and respect from complete strangers for almost the entire route. They know how tough this event is......especially for we mere mortals who have to train when work permits. Well done everyone!
  • Options

Congrats Jon.

How did everyone else do?

• Options

Well done Jon. I agree the support on route is amazing from not only the control staff but also the French general public, the people of Chamonix and other towsn and villages and those who've travelled to see people too. Credit where it is due the French G.P are that bit better than us at turning up to support the 'mere mortals' as Jon accurately puts it (often in quite bizarre and remote places too).

It was rain when I arrived in Cham on Monday, but that was gone by Tuesday morning and as the forecast had suggested it was going to be a cloudless and hot day for the run.

It was a completion not without challenges for me. I started fairly far back in the 1800 or so starters so I wouldn't suffer from too much over-exuberance early on as the trails would be crowded. Usual emotive start and moody music to see us off through Courmeyeaur (1220m). Then up the switchback track to Col Checrouit (1959m). Took quite awhile to be free of the crowds, as after this path was single track along the valley of glaciers which was stunning on a really clear and sunny day. We reversed UTMB route for awhile now taking our first high point at Arete du Mont Favre (2409m). Classic trail descent to Lac Combal check and first full food/drink point. Steep in places and switchbacks over Col Chavenne (2584m), single file and still quite slow up here due to numbers on the trail. Got a chance to move more freely on the long wide track following the Vallon de Chavenne. And by time of the climbs to the Italian/French Border at Col du Petit St Bernard (2188m)and CP I was relatively free to run at my own pace.

Next came a long descent down to the low point of race at Bourg St Maurice (816m) and it was now really hotting up! Took every opportunity I could to splash some water on face or wet my buff. Some kids towards the bottom of valley really were getting into the spirit of things offering to wet peoples hats/buffs for them. Through B-St-M and spent a bit of time under the shade and getting plenty of liquid down.

More help from the French G.P at start of the monster ascent up to the Forts. kids with hoses, stalls with water laid out, etc,,,,, I was going well up climb at first passing many people who were stopped for a break. But maybe halfway up I started to grind to a halt. My stomach was really playing hell and my energy supply had been cut off, it seemed to take me an age to get between the lower fort (truc) and higher (la platte - 1976m). I stopped numerous times for a rest or to try and kick start myself in the last 500m and had I not been a long way up already may have tracked back to B-St-M. Almost vomited trying to take some tablets, whilst around me several people were vomiting like gooduns! It was a pretty low moment and not even halfway.

I got to la platte with my aspirations of 24hrs for the course looking distinctly in tatters.

• Options

Go for broke time and despite no official food at the check up here inside the fort some locals were offering canned or bottled drinks and food at a charge of 5e (I don't begrudge them this as its not exactly an accessible spot). Not feeling like solid food or sweet stuff or even a beer.... I opted for a bottle of coke. Like many a runner it seems its sugars are tolerable even when the stomach has gone on sugar strike. I took about ten minutes to drink this and opted not to use the squat toilet, which looked to have not been refurbed in all the years the fort had been there (though it made me chuckle to find a goat getting shade in the room next to it).

I kind of got going again and eventually was making not a bad pace again on the overall uphill but distinctly rocky in places and undulating section which delivered us to the foot of the steep climb of passeur de pralagnon. Thankfully it was cooling into the evening and up high as I topped out over 2546m. A steep, rocky climb down and then quite a flat track to the - just over - midway control at Cormet de Roselend (1976m). Didn't fancy much to eat still but had a good dig into the supplied pasta meal and a few other bits. A change of socks and t-shirt from dropbag was also welcome and I stopped longer here to check how feet were doing (just one blister worth covering).

It was dark on leaving here and another tough section to the next full indoor check with two big climbs a big descent and numerous smaller ones and some semi-to-technical terrain in places. Col de la Sauce (~2300m) was muddy per usual, but not half as bad as 2012. The long descent afterwards is interesting on varied terrain to La Gitte at 1665m and I made places I think. I felt increasingly sleepy on long climb to Col est de la Gitte so took a caffeine gel. This worked for awhile but after slow going on the rocky and undulating section with some short steep climbs that took us to Col du Joly (1989m) I was getting really sleepy again and struggling to concentrate. Also starting to feel that nausea again image

A longer stop would be needed at this control too. Despite the banging music (which could be heard km away) a few were asleep head down on tables inside the tent and I figured I'd try this. I got a coffee and some broth'n'bread as well as trying to pick other energy sources that I could tolerate. I took a gamble on a bit of an overstims energy bar provided inside tent and that was good. Changed batteries in headtorch (new barely used headtorch and batteries had dropped to barely usable level after la Gitte leaving me faffing to get reserve torch out by side of track). Then head down.....

• Options

... I awoke not refreshed but having rested enough to go again I hoped after some 10-20mins and finished my soup and coffee to hopefully complete the battle against drowsiness. I'd given up here in 2012, probably in worse state, but I would now consider not having done everything I could have done to try and complete so I was going to do my best to make up for that this time.

Now it was 9k to Les Contamines and the best part of 800m downhill. I was quite surprised how many people I overtook downhill, my downhill legs seemingly as good as anybodies I encountered during this stage and running a lot more than most. Per the leaving of Cormet I left Joly in my jacket and thin gloves after colling whilst stopped, but they were soon off again as I figured 30s lost removing them would be made up by being able to move more comfortably on a warm night.

Coming into the Les Contamines control at 95k and 1170m it would be easy to think the hard work was done, but I've heard said the last climb of this one is somewhat of a sting in the tail. And they aren't wrong, it was near enough hands on knees climb straight out of town on road, then track, through woods and back on track. Oddly there is then a descent but at this stage you know there is plenty of climb to come as headlights are dotted really steeply up a hillside about a km away. Crossing the river I was going well on the last ascent and descent but I'm glad I still had something left for Col du Tricot as it was steeper than the last climb even with switchbacks to help and the going was rougher too. It took quite awhile to top this 2126m beastie!

But by the top day was dawning and the night had been seen off. Much as finishing in 24hrs had seemed a real meritable target in a it would now be nice to finish in daylight and with more people up and about. After some fast and slightly rocky descent I was confused when the route levelled off and started climbuing again after the rope bridge. I'd competly forgot about Bellvue control. And now there was quite a lot of descent in a few short km, mostly pounding roads as we arrived in Les Houches (111km - 1019m).

I'd got into an unspoken semi-race with another brit on the descent and we continued after the control. He'd taken the initiative out of the control barely spending a minute there (I spent barely more just toping up water to wash down a caffeine gel). This section is mildly undulating and often flat and my legs were ready to give me some energy saved for running on flat. I passed my competition on a descent with about 5km to go convinced I could run the rest of way barring any steeper climbs (only a few and very short). I passed quite a few on this leg and ran my way up to the highest position I'd been all race for the finish, breaking into the top 500 with a last 8k done in under an hour..

After passing through the dragging outskirts of Cham I was into town, up a hill and then onto the main shopping strip, plenty of people out clapping and cheering runners in. I crossed the line, my adventure was complete and I was pretty happy with having recorded just over 27hrs after earlier troubles. It was just passed 9am and warming up already, made some emotional calls to family back home, got my prized finishers gillet and got a beer from the finsh food table (otherwise it was the same fayre of cheese/meat/cake that had been on offer throughout the race) - the beer was good!

• Options

Again..... or the UTMB, or PTL? Afterwards I thought I wouldn't fancy another 30m or more. But having finished strongly I obviously could have gone further. So I won't rule it out, but the crowded nature of early miles is a bit off-putting. I'm a bit more of a one man and his dog kind of runner and may look for other challenges home or abroad for the next few years.

• Options

Thanks for the great race report!

• Options

image Great running DEoT and I really love your reports.