Options

February weight loss team challange

Comments

• Options
    TBH, I would not have bothered putting it in order as Barlos will be arranging the teams on Tuesday so it will not be a long-standing list. Having the names in alphabetical order adds no value to the process and would have been a waste of my valuable time image
  • Options
    Valuable time?????
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo

there is no value in an alphabetical list, so I'm doing my bit to sort it image
  • Options
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    TBH, I would not have bothered putting it in order as Barlos will be arranging the teams on Tuesday so it will not be a long-standing list. Having the names in alphabetical order adds no value to the process and would have been a waste of my valuable time image
    The VLM list then?
  • Options
    Thanks Debbo - saved me the embarrassment of coming lastimage.
  • Options
    Little Ninja wrote (see)
    The VLM list then?

VLM list gets looked at once a week (and that is despite my retort to Barlos that he would not need me til March image).  It does not do my blood pressure much good to look at it too often.  I just hope they can run better than they can add a name to a list image

Flat Footed wrote (see)

Valuable time?????
    I'm a working girl now, dont'cha know image.  And I now 'do' training image
  • Options
    add me

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo
    WildWill
  • Options

I'm up for that have lost almost a stone since taking up the IMWales challenge in Nov, however I still reckon I could do with losing another 14-18 lbs!

Any tips besides the obvious? Train too hard and you burnout, eat too little you get ill image

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo
    WildWill
    Bobby G

• Options
    LIVESTRONG / MYPALTE is a good on line tracker it has a big database including must supermarket own brands and chain pubs (etc) menus
  • Options

So, if this starts on Tuesday, is it my duty to "bulk up" over the weekend to support my team? image

Actually I'll be doing anything but! I'm on a club training weekend so there'll be loads of training which will offset any little indulgences I might have to prepare for my Frugral February!

• Options

just added my name to list, great idea and just the kick i need

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger

• Options

Schmunks, don't let "U NO HOO" see that!! image

Congrats Seren - that's an impressive weightloss.

Are we doing "name and shame"  - Hello, I'm Jeepers, I weigh XX imageimage or just weight loss targets?

• Options
    Little Ninja wrote (see)

meface wrote (see)

We allknow a llb of fat is equal to a 3500 calorie deficit.

I used to have an artcle by Lyle McDonald that went into detail about fat/muscle loss with calorie deficits. I can't find it now but here's another link. Not sure how accurate all the detail is but some of the points are the same.  http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2007/09/3500_calories_to_lose_a_pound.php

I need to lose some lard before IMR but now use a tape measure instead of the scales. 

LN I agree - it is not as simple as losing 1lb in weight means you have had a 3500 calorie deficit. Because losing lean muscle mass could be included. But to lose a 1lb of fat you must have a calorie deficit of 3500 - If you don't it means you have lost lean muscle instead.

Losing lean muscle is bad which is why it is preferable to lose weight slowly if you are training hard. However given my ex-rugby player build and natural tendancy towards carrying muslce I can afford the luxury of losing some of that as well. I reckon with most of my fat gone I would still be 14stone which is a lot to carry on the run.

Fast weight loss of fat is tricky - unless you have a great fat to energy transport mechanism. I have met a few people who seem to need to an energy gel if they do anything over an hour otherwise they just hit a brick wall. I guess their fat to energy process is low/weak and therefore can't metabolise the fat as quickly as they are burning it. Some people can keep up a good rate for hours (me included) with little or no input - so I guess a goo fat to energy transport. Which seems a good thing for endurance sport - but the mechanism also works in reverse - I can turn excess energy into fat really easily.

As for measurement scales are quick and easy - tape measures take a bit more time and I do use them from time to time: Neck, Shoulders, Chest, Waist, Hips, Thighs, Calves, Biceps should cover it. Monthly measurements can add to the scale weights. However if you are new to training and likely to put muscle mass on then the tapes could be a better indicator of success than the scales.

Meface

• Options

Hi another newbie here, i am up for the challenge as i need to lose a couple of stones.

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek

• Options

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy

I usually can shed half a stone during IM training so I quite enjoy putting it on over the winter months

I am also looking at only eating sustainable and seasonal food for 'my bit' in the old ecology push and I think it makes menus and planning that bit more adventurous.   I wont eat anything that has had to get on a plane to arrive on my plate   image      I also try not to eat anything that has been processed and try to have everything as close to its natural state as possible

Taking a quick look at the Food Focus website I think it is over estimating the amount of calories I need but then again perhaps that is me underestimating !!

Think I may well have set myself a task    image

• Options
    Jeepers - we'll have none of that 'name and shame' talk on this thread. Fankyewplease. *winky*
  • Options

No harm in name and shame if that what you want .. and respect those that dont   image

• Options
    Melds - t'was in reference to another thread hence winky as Jeepers would know what I was referring to
  • Options
    Also, they do say that if it has not grown, walked, or swum do not eat it. I think that is something like the Paleo diet. I did something similar about six years ago and lost between 2 and 3 stone in approx 9 months
  • Options
    doesnt leave much option then when all veggies are grown  image

The Paleo diet contains meat doesnt it?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I'm away now till wednesday, with no scales. I'm between 134 and 135 pounds so round up to 135 as I'll be eating out a few times between now and tuesday.

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo 135 lb
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy
  • Options
    I'm up for this and just to add to the ohter halfs confusion I'll add her tot he list as well:

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo 135 lb
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy
    OC
    Shuffle Bunny
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    I am also looking at only eating sustainable and seasonal food for 'my bit' in the old ecology push and I think it makes menus and planning that bit more adventurous.   I wont eat anything that has had to get on a plane to arrive on my plate   image      I also try not to eat anything that has been processed and try to have everything as close to its natural state as possible
    High maintenance, moi ? image The Blind date from hell image
  • Options
    Oh, and count me in for this

Barley
    Foggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo 135 lb
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy
    OC
    Shuffle Bunny
    Kanga
  • Options

*wanders in, looking a bit sheepish*

Can I play, too? image

Personally, the January Running Challenge hasn't gone as well as it might have done, but February has historically been more successful for me, training wise.

I'm quite little, in terms of height, but it's safe to say I fill my space image and could do with shifting a few pounds (target loss for Feb would be 6-8lbs)

Barley
    Foggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo 135 lb
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy
    OC
    Shuffle Bunny
    Kanga
    Frodo

• Options

Can I play. Just brought some scales for this as I want to get lean for IM this year and sort out my diet which is frankly if it comes within reach down it goes,got a shock when I weighed myself its been a good off seasonimage

Barley
    Foggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo 135 lb
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy
    OC
    Shuffle Bunny
    Kanga

Ridgeackmax

• Options

Sorry Frodo x post

Barley
    Foggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo 135 lb
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy
    OC
    Shuffle Bunny
    Kanga

Frodo

Ridgeackmax

• Options

Barley
    Foggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia
    Debbo 135 lb
    WildWill
    Bobby G
    JCDigger
    Nivek
    Meldy
    OC
    Shuffle Bunny
    Kanga
    Frodo
    Ridgeackmax
    Saffers

Can I join?  Not a huge amount to lose (say nuffink, anyone who has met me imageimage) but I have been trying, sort of, to lose 7-10lb for a long time with not a lot of success.  Fed up with friends telling me it could be muscle!!! Yeah righto.  I have even given up the alcohol during the week, which is drastic for me. image

• Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Parklife wrote (see)

What does 'Let's get Devo' mean?

Whip it good?

Its all about getting in touch with your Devo side image
    Still none the wiser Barley.  Are you talking about the band Devo?