Options

Coming off SSRIs

Comments

• Options
    I think MIND also says people should be ADs for six months once people are feeling 'normal' otherwise it's apparently more likely for the depression to come back. I guess the same rules would apply to anxiety... Again, each to their own of course  but it's worth bearing in mind.
  • Options

Just occurred to me that most of the folks posting on here are the ones who regularly and routinely offer support, advice etc on threads when appropriate.

There are some I could mention who are either "me me me" or just downright imagea lot of the time.

Good description, Saffy.  No 1 Child has a tendency to depression, he produces too many negative chemicals and insufficient positive chemicals, so is constantly depressed and anxious.  We have had to experiment with different drugs and different levels, but we seem to have found the best combination, so he's stable for the moment.  His overall outlook is more positive and he is better able to cope with problems when they occur.

• Options
    Yep, it really helped me when I was first diagnosed to understand the chemical imbalance stuff. When I realised it was a biological problem, it stopped me feeling like I was a loon to put it bluntly......and that was very important to me in the beginning.
  • Options

That's how I've had to explain it to him as he struggled with it and particularly, with other's take on his problems.

Not nice and that harmed him as well.

• Options
    myredface wrote (see)

I was lucky to have that help and support around me ...I fully realise that not everyone is so blessed

LB - please try not to feel you've failed by giving your self this time limit on the pills .......it surely cannot hurt to stay on them for just that extra bit of time.....  especially as you are feeling better for taking them again.  I'm guessing that you will kind of know when it's time to come off them and not your wall calendar.  

myredface- I think you misunderstood my comment.  I know there are people who aren't surrounded with people who are supportive.  [in fact, I was in that position myself when i had one of my most severe depressions so I do know what that's like].  What I meant is that there are people with anxiety/ depression problems who don't ask for help, thus propagating their own misery and making life difficult for those around them.  Obviously, I don't mean people who are unable to ask for help because their problem is so severe, or the nature of their problem is such that they are unable to ask for help. Recovery from certain mental health conditions can be greatly helped by the person themselves being strong, as LB is being.
  • Options
    LB- I hope my last comment about you being strong didn't come across as patronising, I was trying to make the point that I wasn't criticising you in my earlier comment, which I could have written more clearly.
  • Options

It didn't Vicky, don't worry! I'm reading this fascinated by all the opinions and experiences. Believe it or not though, although I am pretty loud and not exactly shy, I am NOT used to talking about this sort of thing and it feels a bit weird to be so open about it (but good)!

I just don't want to monopolise the thread. image

Saffy sweety pea wrote (see)

3. When i first went on Fluoxetine, I gave myself a target of 6 months. I came off after 6 months and it was a disaster. I had to go straight back on for a further 12, so 18 months in total.......but that longer period on them meant I got better!

Hope that helps image

Saffy - it really does thanks! I particularly identified with the chemical imbalance. I've had a major hormone imbalance treated once when I started to lactate without having a baby and I didn't find that was odd, but a imbalance that affects your anxiety levels is taboo? We need to dispel that idea.

• Options
    Little Ninja wrote (see)
    I think MIND also says people should be ADs for six months once people are feeling 'normal' otherwise it's apparently more likely for the depression to come back. I guess the same rules would apply to anxiety... Again, each to their own of course  but it's worth bearing in mind.

LN - I have a good friend who is a GP and she said the same. 6 months from when you feel well.

She's also suffered depression so she's a useful person to chat to. At one point in her life she was suicidal.

• Options
    <delurks>

I feel the need to finally say something. Saffy, that comment (...described depression as 'the curse of the strong'...) has hit so many resonances, I can't even begin to formulate a coherent response.

Those of you who know me from else where on the forums know that I am struggling. I have to be honest, I am actually too afraid to go to the GP, I don't really want this stuff out there in the open. I keep thinking, things have to get better, that this will go away, just one more week... at what point do I get strong enough to seek help? (or even find the time to get an appointment?)
  • Options

You prioritise it Frodo. Its more important than work, than running, than anything.

Don't suffer in silence any more. I went to my GP initially with cut hands. They were badly infected and needed urgently treatment. I do get bad eczema in the winter but this was something else altogether. I couldn't get an appointment with my doctor so I went to a walk in centre but they said they couldn't deal with them because they were so bad. I burst into tears in frustration and they called my GP and INSISTED I was seen.

My hands were cut because when I got anxious I scratched them as an automatic response to trauma. I scratched them SO BADLY it was as if I were self harming. The worse they looked, the happier I felt about it. It was a cry for help. When they were literally green with infection I realised that there was a direct connection.

I cried again in the GP's surgery. She immediately did a psych test and I failed miserably. I wasn't too high on the depression scores but I was almost off the scale with anxiety. I admitted defeat and took the pill prescription next door to the pharmacist. I was so ashamed because I know her and she was very shocked when I handed it over. Strong people don't suffer, see? image

Best thing I ever did was admitting it to myself. Admitting it to others came later. You're already THERE. Now its time you went and got the help you need and deserve.

Good luck honey.

• Options

My doctor took the time to actually TALK to me. I was so grateful. She even shared something about her own family. I knew there was a waiting room full of people and it was that moment I swore I would never get pissed off waiting again. There is a sign up saying "some people need longer appointments and one day that might be you".

That day it was me.

Frodo - please go. And let us know how you get on.

• Options

Frodo,

I was really afraid of going to see my GP, I was ashamed, cross with myself, felt I was letting my family down for being so pathetic....etc...etc.....etc......

BUT it was the best thing I ever did. He was brilliant, really sympathetic, explained the enzyme stuff I wrote in my earlier post and basically I left the surgery knowing that I wasn't actually going mad and that I would eventually get better.

To be honest, the hardest part is making the appointment, you feel a failure for having to 'give in to it' and finally make the call..........but actually, making that call is yet another sign of strength........it takes guts to make that call. But it's the best thing you can do becuase you are taking control of the illness. image

• Options
    I know. Thanks guys.

I think I'm a bit wobbly tonight because I spoke to my parents about it all this evening; they've not understood why I have been pursuing going part-time rather than going for the next promotion. They still don't get it, not in a horrible way, just they don't get it.

I have no option but to get through this week. But if I am still struggling in a week's time, then time it will be to get up the courage to seek help.

Sorry to monopolise the thread.
  • Options

* wags finger at Frodo *

You aren't monopolsing it ! This thread's here so we can all support each otherimage

• Options

Frodo- you're not monopolising. 
    I have had depression quite a few times on and off for at least 20 years , and in that time I've moved house a few times and so had various different GPs. All of them (except one!) have been incredibly understanding and supportive. If you do find yourself at the drs, you might find what i found- that's it's like a weight coming off your shoulders.

I hope you feel better soon. image

• Options
    Saffy sweety pea wrote (see)

* wags finger at Frodo *

You aren't monopolsing it ! This thread's here so we can all support each otherimage

No, but I was so let's talk about Frodo! image

Morning guys!

• Options

Morning. image

Frodo, it would be a shame if you were contemplating PT work for the wrong reasons.  If you are feeling bad, everything is a lot worse and you don't feel as though you can cope anything at all, so your thoughts re PT work may be influenced more by depression than by problems caused by FT work.  It would be worth making the time to see a GP to discuss this rather than go on PT work for the wrong reasons.  PT work might ease some of the problems but if you do have depression, it might not be the solution.

Sorry, sounds harsh, not meant to be, just my experience.

(( )) Get thee sorted out *more finger wagging*

• Options
    I can be a wise old  bag at timesimage
  • Options

Actually, that comes most from having made wrong decisions at points in my life (with permanent side effects - marriage to the wrong man springs to mind immediately) when I was suffering from depression etc, not aware of it and pretty much clutching at the first straws that came my way.

• Options
    Makes sense to me, KK - but that's not necessarily a good thing image

There's lots going on with work and in my personal life and I recognise that making decisions when in this frame of mind is not necessarily wise.

It's just that I've been much more up against it before (when getting divorced springs to mind) and never felt like this.

Lots to think about. Mr F is back tonight too (been away with work/family things) and we can have a good talk about stuff - he's very supportive.

Had little sleep last night as the hound decided to be unwell. Off to the vets now, so have had to call work to say I'll be late in. Oh well, change is as good as a rest, yes? image
  • Options
    Thanks, KK - I'm sure she'll be fine, she'll just have eaten something she shouldn't have. Silly creature. How's your new addition getting on?
  • Options
    Good to hear image
    (greyhound and trainable are not compatible ideas - she's just so old now she can't be arsed to be disobedient image )
  • Options
    Little update - had a image moment the other day; my slow decline just so happens to have coincided with a change in contraceptive pill. As does my very depressing weight gain. I did a little net research and there seems to be a massive volume of similar complaints against this particular brand. I cannot come off this month and risk having lady issues for the Paris Marathon in four weeks, but I will after that.

I don't for one minute believe that this is the exclusive cause of my problems, but the possibility that it is a contributory factor is interesting. Any thoughts?