Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

I messaged Just Run the other day - he hasn't replied.  As you say hope he is OK

4.07 miles done this morning in 35 minutes 07 seconds  which equates to about 8:37 miling with the fastest stretch at about 7:05 pace - although not sure that much of the run was that quick!!!!   actually ran a mile further and a lot quicker than I meant to as wanted to do 7 tomorrow - but may put that off now until Sunday as I have an early appointment at Tescos as my sons friends are coming round for the day!!!

You still have a month to go to train before your race Beachball (although obviously Xmas in the middle of all of that)  Your firts 'proper' race - just don't put your self under to much pressure - just go and enjoy it - and run the way you know you can to finish - no problems - you won't be last by any means.

Anyway have a good weekend of running all  Happy Days!! image

• Options
    Echo the sentiments on Just Run - he did mention that he had some hardware issues if I remember, so hopefully it's just that and nothing more untoward.

Thomas, could've been worse then! Epic night by the sounds of it image maybe you'll bump into that girl again sometime. Killer run the other day too, nice one. Feeling confident on the 10?

Back2basics, very best of luck for the big one tomorrow. I'd imagine you'll be exhausted but happy!

Grendel, the focus on the quality of training seems like a good idea at this point. As you say, finding that balance is pivotal and you seem to have nailed it - working up to Braintree will only add further fuel to the running fire I'm sure! Have you got any particular workouts you'll be taking on board to train specifically for the race?

beachball, it's true that the miles are important but as Grendel said, hitting the time is an aim rather than a necessity, and enjoying the event rather than feeling pressured would be best! You're doing really well yourself, finding time is tough but you're still looking to make the running fit in with general life image

3k today, far too quick - I need to rein in my easy pace, keep going too quickly. But I feel confident about tomorrow and am looking forward to the challenge of coming within reach of 21 mins.

Keep at it, chaps.
  • Options

Moonlight = the current session is the 6 times 3 minutes will vary that after xmas with longer and shorter runs!!!

Good luck today hope it has gone, does go well.

• Options
    Hey everyone!
    Hell Runner finished! image Not really bothered about time myself but for those who are 20:20.43 I think.
    Feel pretty good which was the main thing I was after!

The thing im most happy with is I decided to do the last mile barefoot!
    Most of it was sand then the stony path on the way to the finish sucked abit but I really wanted to cross the line barefoot.

Just chilling now and re-fuelling, thanks to everyone for the good wishes and I hope all you runs are going well!

Rack `em up!
  • Options
    Enjoy your chiling Back2Basics yo deserve it - hope the feet are not cut to pieces!! did you carry your shoes or did you just ditch them?
  • Options

Well done back2basics. Sounds like a good day.

Moonlight - yes, the 10 should be fine. It's pencilled in for next Saturday.

5 miles this morning in about 43 minutes. I've got 4.3 to do tomorrow which I was going to do before work but I think I will give it a miss and run after work if I can get to JJB and get new shoes on my break tomorrow.   My current shoes are at the end of their life and I've decided not to run in them again; I'm pushing it a bit as it is.  Luckily, the cheapest place for them seems to be JJB and there's one local. I'm just going to buy the newer model of the same shoe. I can't even find a older model for cheaper than they have the new one.

• Options
    Well done Back2basics! Not the sort of event where time is too important I guess, more like survival image hope you enjoyed the day and particularly the barefoot ending. Take your time over a well-earned rest...

Thomas, how do you know when shoes have outlasted their usefulness? Nice 5 today, your pace certainly seems very solid lately.

Grendel, didn't realise that was the one, apologies image seems like a tough type of session that'll stand you in good stead! Thanks, the parkrun went pretty decently in the end - 21:23 but with caveats of high winds & a new route that we hadn't been informed of before, which pretty much threw off my carefully crafted split times and strategy. Could've dipped under 21 today but not by much, so lots of work to do over the next three weeks - I'm game for it.
  • Options

Well done Moonlight - have to say 21:23 is a good time if the  wind down your way is anything like we are getting at the moment and not to far away from your target - trouble is something we can never dictate is the weather!!!!

Do you come from the Norwich area? as an old buddy of mine runs the Running centre a running shop some where in Norwich.

Well an easy 4 mile run done yesterday actually 4.33 as I ran for 40 minutes - meant to do 7 today but I do seem to be struggling at the moment to get beyond 5 miles - so I decided to have a bit of a break today and run 3, which turned out to be 5 when i finished as I knew I would regret it if I stopped off after 4.23 did struggle though big time.  Still averaged 8.51 which allowing for the wind which was horrendous today, I was pleased with. (also the 7:45 last mile helped that average and no not always with the wind behind me either!! image)

Happy running al and still no news from Just Run

• Options

Well done Back2basics, enjoy your rest.

Moonlight- new route at parkrun?? Is this a permanent change? Well done on the time yesterday.

I couldn't parkrun but still got out and did 6.3km in 43 mins. It was windy and felt horrible and I was glad to get home.  I just put it down to one of those days.

Keep up the good work guys..

• Options
    Grendel, as you're right on the coast it's probably a bit worse over there. As you say, can't dictate the weather and it's definitely no excuse as I need to expect the worst really! The new route scuppered me a little, but I'm not overly concerned at this point. Well done on getting stuck in there today, always rough in high wind and good pace as ever for you! I'm actually based south of Cambridge, but go to university in Norwich so I split my time based on summer breaks and such. Funnily enough I do actually know the Running Centre - is his name Pete?

beachball - yeah, we were all surprised too, hadn't heard anything about it until I showed up yesterday morning! There's some building work going on over by the 1k marker near the lake, so I'm not sure how long the new route will be in effect. Hopefully not for too long...if you let me know when you're next running the parkrun, I can walk down and check beforehand to see? Well done on your 6.3k, grinding out the tough runs is difficult in these conditions...

Supposed to have a gym session today, but my heart isn't really in it after hearing about Gary Speed earlier, absolutely gutted. I got to meet him when I was a lot younger (I'm a Leeds supporter) during training, and have always viewed him as a sporting hero since then. Such awful news image really feel for his family.
  • Options

Yep Pete Johnson is his name -

Was shocked to hear about Gary Speed - he seemed to have so much going for him and had turned Wales round  - a bit more of the story to come out yet I think!!!

• Options

Can't say I knew who Gary Speed was, never been in to football.  A shame none the less though.

Moonlight - I can feel it on the soles of my feet. I consulted my diary there and they have 420 miles on them so time to get some new ones I reckon.  You're well on track to hit your target I think. That will be very close to sub 20. Won't be long until you're there. Keep it up.

Grendel - that happens to me sometimes, just seem to struggle sometimes but you will bounce back.

Beachball - very windy here this weekend too. My splits from yesterday show my 3rd mile to be much slower than the others. I couldn't work out why until I remembered it was in to the wind.  image. Have you got another Parkrun planned?

Back2basics - how are you feeling today after Hellrunner?

4.3 miles today which puts me at 27.5 for the week. Picking up my new trainers tomorrow as they were out of stock in my local JJB.  

Looking forward to hitting 30 miles next week with a 10 mile long run. That will be very close to where I was when I got injured back in March. They say it takes twice as long to regain fitness you lose. I was out for 3 months and it will soon be 6 months since I started again so I'm almost there. 

I wonder when winter is going to hit. Not looking forward to the pavements being like an ice rink constantly, although I do enjoy hitting the trails with the Yaktrax on.

• Options
    Hey everyone, ill try and answer all the questions in the one post! image

Hellrunner went really well and I didnt feel that battered at all!
    Got my first ever blood blister from my shoes :/ so for the last mile I took them off and carried them for the last mile as they had my timing chip still on them!
    They felt sooo heavy as they were destroyed with mud, water and sand!

As I was running with a friend who was abit slower and had only done treadmill training I felt really comfortable most of the way round so I played around with some hill techniques and I think im getting pretty good at it now! Most of the hills I nearly died on last year, this year I ran up! image In your face hills! image

My feet felt fine after the barefoot effort and had no cuts or damage which was wicked, muscles feel like they have been used but it feels like ive done maybe 6 miles or so.
    Recovery is going really well and ill be back to the gym tomorrow image

Sandals are the next project image
  • Options

Moonlight- Thanks, like you say, hopefully a temporary route change.

Thomas- Good luck with the 30, that's serious mileage in a week and I hope winter stays away for as long as possible.  I would do the parkrun every week if I had my way but the wife needs the car for work alot of Saturday's. My dad did say if I ever wanted a lift he would take me, so either way I hope to get at least one or two more in before Christmas. Did you get the new running shoes today? Did you get out in them?

Grendel- Was a real shocker regarding Gary Speed. It just doesn't make sense. Like you say, more to come from this story no doubt.

Back2basics- Glad your feeling great after Hellrunner, anything else lined up on your agenda?

What a difference a couple of days makes. Did 6.6km tonight in 43 mins, slowest split was 6.43 and quickest 6.10. Very happy, feel great and felt there was a bit left in there tonight.

Keep up the good work allimage

• Options
    Yes, picked up new shoes yesterday morning and did 6 miles in them in the afternoon.  They felt just like my old ones did when they were new and there were no problems during or after the run so I hope that's going to be it.  I was a bit worried that the new model would be slightly different from the old one somehow but they seem to be exactly the same thankfully.   Yeah, 30 feels like a bit of a milestone, I don't think I need to keep pushing mileage now so I'll  stick there for 2-3 weeks to settle in to it then go back to the club. That should give me something to work with.  Horrible day today, I'm quite glad it's a rest day for me.
  • Options
    Beachball - My only agenda now is to make my sandals and start the mileage from the beginning. Im going to start all over again and see how far I can run in less and less

You guys are all doing really well on your mileage I just hope I can catch up after starting again! image

As the name says its "back to basics" for me image
  • Options
    image 3k at the gym just now in my VFF`s with no problems! Was quite a nice stretch and not fast at all, around 23 mins...
  • Options

Have ordered a pait of New Balance somethignm or other off the internet, was going to savew them for Xmas (I usually do my wife and myself a little stocking so that it keeps the Santa dream alive for my son) Not sure I can wait that long though

Have had a good couple of days - all runs now seem to be averaging under 9 minute miles - and did the 6 times 3 minutes off a minute recovery - averaged 6:50

Felt brilliant for the first 3 was sailing along nicely and then turned back for the second set - didn't realise the wind was as strong as it was!!!!!!   Still character building eh?

Good luck in doing your 30 mile weeks Thomas, I am sort of there now, but mine is done slightly differently as I am running each day rather than 4 days per week -   Will take a break over Xmas though as I feel that I do perhaps need it - so will take Xmas day and Boxing day off - (although we are at my parents on Boxing Day and my old second claim club has a 5 mile handicap race on Boxing Day - trouble is I would either run off scratch (i.e set off last) or if they have their records back that far off a previous 5 mile PB of 27:33 not far off starting last -

Oh well work calls - ha[[y running all

• Options
    Grendel -  That looks like a good session you did there. I would like to run more days. I did 5 last week and was going to do 5 this week but I went and battered my hip in to the side of a big metal desk at work yesterday and now it's pretty sore. I can't move it without pain so I don't know if I should run. I might just take today as an extra rest day and see how it is tomorrow. I might have to accept a cutback week as a result but better safe than sorry. 
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Thomas, hopefully a couple of days rest will sort it out.

• Options
    I hope so. Quite annoying having a non-running injury stopping me from running but I suppose we all have to take the odd setback from time to time.  I've taken today as another rest day. Hopefully I'll be OK tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Thomas - If not, Biofreeze that sucker! It will knock the crap out of it and you will be pavement pounding in no time! image
  • Options
    Grendel, it really is a small world at times. I first met him at his shop in late 2009 (got my x-country shoes from there), but we subsequently bumped into each other at an EACCL race and the Norwich HM of that year, decent guy. Well done on sticking the wind during your 6 x 3 mins, and here's hoping that the new shoes are a resounding success if you try them out before Christmas! That handicap race sounds really fun, though would you not be allowed to run off your current 5 mile time?

Thomas, glad your new shoes are working out for you; they do seem to frequently tweak model updates, but thankfully not this time. Hope your hip is feeling better today as well, definitely better safe than sorry if not. Thank you also, though it seems a bit daunting at the moment!

beachball, good to hear you're getting out there and packing the miles in, 6.30-ish average is no mean feat either, very nice. I can't imagine the route will be altered for long, my reasoning being that Eaton Park is a popular public area, so hopefully they'll speed things along. I believe they're relaying the ground...

Back2basics, you've intrigued me with the mention of sandals! Surely not conventional beach-type sandals?! I can barely walk in those let alone run, but all power to you if it's working for you image probably a good idea to work your way down and restart the mileage as you 'minimalise'...

Disrupted week for me so far, but put in a big shift at the gym on Sunday, 4.5k easy (25:55) & 5k easy (27:58) since then, 7k planned for this evening. Feeling pretty good about how things are going, with injury being staved off and getting comfortable over the 4-5k distance now. I think I'm going to share Grendel's sentiments and take a break after Christmas, only for a week or so though! Happy running everyone, may you spot a Santa or reindeer on your routes this week.
  • Options

Back2basics - not heard of Biofreeze but thankfully it seems to be better.

My hip was still a little sore this morning but I ran anyway, thinking that since it wasn't a running injury I wouldn't make it any worse. Not a single twinge from it so all is well.  It's been fine today too.  I did 7 miles  so I can still hit 30 for the week by doing another 7 tomorrow, resting Saturday and 10 Sunday.   

Next week will probably be a cutback week.

• Options
    Moonlight - Nope not beach sandals I would break my face lol! They are running sandals like the ones found here:-
    www.lunasandals.com
    Im doing a combination of Vibram five fingers, sandals (once ive made them image ) and naked feets image depending on what im running on..

Thomas - Bio Freeze is AMAZING! Its not cheap but my god its good!
  • Options

Moonlight - I have always found running to be a very small world, once met a friend of a friend whilst holidaying in Bulgaria!!!

Back2Basics, have not read the article yet, but in Athletics Weekly this week there is a feature on a young British International who trains and races bare foot -

Still no news from Just Run hope he is OK I am sure he was due to run a 10k in November -

I did suggest my going off to run the handicap race boxing day - icy atmosphere - so that would be a no then!!!!

Good news Thomas re the hip - often the way as it wasn't a running related injury soemthimes isn't effected by running - good luck with your 7 and 10 -

Well decided that I would add a second quality session into the  mix this week so this morning Ielected to just run for 30 minutes but to put in faster bursts and run it as a fartlek session which I did.  What I ended up doing was to try and keep the pace going on the 'recovery' stretches rather than dropping the pace right back, so never got a full recovery and the whole session went really well -

Happy days (will no doubt pay for it on my weekend runs though!! - especially as my meal tonight will be a post school xmas fete McDonalds!!)

Good weekends one and all and Happy Running

• Options
    Grendel, then my dream of meeting Kilian Jornet on a visit to Swansea is still alive and well image your fartlek session sounds great, must've been nice to just get out there and decide what you wanted to do on the fly. Two quality sessions in a week, you're flying along lately! No chance of placating the other half with a barnstorming Xmas present and making good your escape to the race? image

Thomas, hope your runs go well over the next few days and nothing goes wrong with the hip. 10 miles is an amazing undertaking.

Ahh, thanks for the link Back2basics. Looks like a handy piece of kit for someone edging towards pure barefoot...

7k easy went fine yesterday evening, despite the hour (10pm!) - for once I actually made a deliberate attempt at slowing it right down to 6:00/km and felt fresh at the end, far more so than usual. A nice confidence booster! I have an unusual parkrun this week, since I didn't want to run at race pace too many weeks consecutively - using it as a pacing exercise. Three kilometres (1, 3 & 4) at race pace, and the other two at easy pace. Hopefully it'll help me get used to the required speed needed for a sub-20 time, whilst not pulverising my joints and muscles too badly.

I hope Just Run posts soon and that he's okay :/
  • Options

Back2basics - I'm about 30 pages in to Born To Run and enjoying it so far.

Grendel - good work on doing 2 quality sessions, how are you feeling after that?

Moonlight - How did it feel running that late? I think the latest I've set out was about 730pm.

7 miles done today. I forgot to charge my Garmin so I have no idea how fast it was. I'm not bothered about pace at the moment anyway.  The hip is totally fine now so that's a relief.   The transition to new shoes has been smooth as well.  Rest tomorrow (well, I'll go to the gym) then 10 Sunday.  Good times.  

Hope you all have a good weekend.

• Options

Will report back after the weekend on how I feel after the two quality sessions - will aim for 6 tomorrow and then 5 Sunday - which will give me 31 for the week - will carry on witht the quality work but swtich from wednesday and friday to Tuesday and thursday next week - one of which will continue to be farlek the other the 6 times 3 minutes - (will look to reduce the recover by 15 seconds this week to 45 seconds.

• Options

legs held up to the extra speed work so will carry on now until March with that -

Did 7 miles this morning, simply by being 2 miles from home when I had clocked 5 miles - not the nicest of days as after yesterday's frost and clear skys, this morning was very windy and warmer and i was over dressed -  but I got to the 7 mile goal so feel pretty chuffed this morning!!!

Will aim for 5 tomorrow -  but even 3 will give me 30 for the week so no pressure!!

happy days