Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Grendel, John O'Groats is much further away than I'd thought! Seems like you're running really well, hope your 7 miles went well this morning as well with no problems. Thanks for answering as well, I appreciate it; it really is humbling to think how long you've been running for, and how much you must've experienced along the way. We are definitely lucky to have the parkrun in Norwich, such useful events that can suit a wide variety of purposes, really good for getting a time since you do get pumped up for them as they have a competitive atmosphere whilst remaining friendly! Such a shame that you don't have one near to you, maybe one will emerge in the area...

Back2basics you must be mad! Good luck with that beast of an event image transitioning to barefoot running sounds tough, but I hear that it staves off the injuries.

beachball, a very happy birthday to you image many happy returns. How did your parkrun go? I did indeed run it, stayed to clap home the runners coming in at 30 minutes or so, in the hope that you might be one of them. Saw a few dogs too (an Alsation, a Daschund, and a Lab), always good to see families getting out there to soak up the atmosphere. Hope that your run went well regardless, and that you enjoyed the day! Outstanding weather today.

My own run went unbelievably well, I felt very comfortable considering the pace, and still feel that I had a lot in the tank - guess the stars aligned in my favour last night. Breathing was great, muscles fine, and generally a highly enjoyable run. The results aren't up yet so I didn't get the exact time, but it's in the region of 21:50, which is below my target time for this week. Starting to believe that maybe I have a chance at hitting 20:12 in time, but a long way to go yet. Extremely pleased with the run today! image

Have an excellent Saturday all, and good luck with any runs.
  • Options

Back2basics - I really like the look of Hellrunner. I'll definitely be doing one at some point.

Grendel - Good run today?

Moonlight - well done. 21:50 is fairly shifting.

Happy birthday Beachball.   Any big plans for tonight?

8 miles this morning in 1:02:50, 7:51 average.  I ran with one of the roadrunners from the club who I know is faster than me so I was happy to go with it and push a bit more.  I really enjoyed it and was happy with the pace considering it wasn't flat out and was farly hilly. I have been doing nearly all my running easy paced so I was good to pick up the pace. 

25 for the week and no injuries or niggles to report.  Party to go to tonight and sit about recovering tomorrow.  Have a good weekend all.

• Options
    Moonlight - ha ha ha yeah a little bit mad I guess! Slowly moving to barefoot ive found is great, you just have to go slow and learn to read your body!

Thomas Kerr - Yeah the Hellrunner is great fun, I did it last year as a kind of challenge from a friend and got the bug!
    Your really have to give it a go its hard and will really push you but its so much fun!

Did an 8 mile nasty hill run today in my Salomon Speed Cross 2 beasties with the final half a mile or so in toe socks......error! Should have just gone completely barefoot, ended up with a bit of friction burn from the socks and kind of ran through them! image
    That said it was the fastest nicest part of the whole 8 mile! Going to do maybe a mile barefoot tomorrow just to stretch out then onto my tick over week before the Hellrunner on saturday! image
  • Options

Thank you for the birthday wishes guys..

Thomas- nice 8 miler this morning, good pace as well, enjoy the party tonight. I'm out for a meal with family, a few bottles of red will no doubt flow as well.

Grendel- Yes it is Norwich parkrun and like Moonlight said hopefully one will pop up in your area soon. Great work on the virtual as well, impressive distance travelled already.

Back2basics- good luck with the Hellrunner, sounds way out of my league lol

Moonlight- Well done on your time this morning. Looks like you may well be on course for 20.12 by 2012..Guess I just missed you this morning as I came home in 31.09. The wife had our 2 greyhounds with her, 1 black, 1 brindle and I was wearing a bright orange Mclaren/vodafone top if that helps at all.

Lovely conditions this morning and I managed to knock over a minute off my PB. Still need to get the balance of eating something before a morning run right. I felt extremely tired for the last km. I normally run in the evening and have the days food to fuel me.

Anyway, have got the table booked for 7 o'clock so better dash.

Have a great weekend all and safe running.

• Options
    Nice one Thomas, that's some pace over that distance. Enjoy your party this evening! Thanks for the kind words.

Back2basics, have been reading quite a lot on barefoot lately, even in the Ultra (?!) sections of the site. Seems to be on the rise, am glad you're enjoying the experience!

beachball, I almost certainly did see you come past, as I was still standing near the final corner at that stage - I remember two people coming through in bright yellow & orange respectively, so the latter was likely you! Congratulations on a big PB image definitely tough to adjust to these morning runs. Anyway, have a cracking evening and hope you've enjoyed your birthday. And thank you, also!
  • Options
    Beachball - LOL I think anyone can do it, its not crazy far and its mind over matter! I have no mind so it doesn't matter lol!
    Have you tried Chia seeds? They are quick and fantastic at keeping the hunger away, lately ive found one tablespoon in a small yoghurt keeps me going for at least 8 miles.
    You have to drink lots of water with them unless you swell them up first. Have a read about them and if you have any questions let me know and ill do my best to answer! image

Moonlight - Yeah it comes across as a nuts thing to do but the more you read the more it seems to make sense!

• Options

back to basics - Toe -socks?

• Options
    Grendel3 - yeah like the winter socks with seperate toes great for keeping your feet warm and I'm trying them to see if it cuts down on blisters image
  • Options

Moonlight- Thank you, It was a great day.

Back2basics- Thank you also, I will have a read. Are they easily available from supermarkets?

• Options
    Beachball - I got mine from

http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=30&zenid=2ecd685de8d16edc833c2e82d971fb34

I havnt found them in supermarkets yet but Funky Raw deliver really fast!
  • Options

Thanks Back2basics, I will have a look.

Nice and steady 6k tonight in 40 mins. Everything felt okay so will be looking to step up the training a little from now. Really need to get out a minimum of 3 times a week as my 10k is only 40 days away!!!

Hope everyone is okay and had a good weekend.

• Options
    Remember to slow it down a week before to give you time too heal, then go out there with the idea that your gonna smash that 10k too bits! image
  • Options

Yeah cheers mate, to break the hour would be a massive achievement for me.

I think it will be very close.

• Options

Thomas - Have missed a few days here I see - well done on the run  7:51 is shifting - that is why it is great to run with others - they can really pull you along - I notice you refer to them as the roadrunners, something you have done before - question for you are you a track runner?

Back2Basics - do you just wear the socks or are they under trainers? as I can't see a pair of socks would last that long!!!!

Beachball and Moonlight - well done on your respective ParkRuns and Beachball without going back over the thread when and wear is your 10K - and Moonlight when is the attempt on 20:12?

Didn't do my 7 mile run after all - only did 6 - felt cr*p to be honest but realised afterwards I had averaged a minute per mile quicker than I intended and I think I possibly just ranout of steam - followed that the following day with a 5 miles and strangely felt brilliant - ended up running 30.88 for the week so pleased to top 30 -

Mondya I did 3:33 in 30:01, 4:53 on Tuesday in 40 minutes and this morning I did the 6 times 3 minutes off a minute recovery - did wonder about dropping the minute to 45 seconds - but found as I seemed to run faster this week than last week I needed every second of that 60 second recovery!!! _ have not worked out average yet but the fasted section was 6:25 pace (can't believe now that I once ran 26 miles faster than that pace and 13 miles 40 seconds per mile quicker than that - and do you know what I am enjoying my running as much now if not more - there is no pressure on me - I'm not running for the team or to beat anyone else - just me and my Garmin and the morning!!! (which incidently was absolutely beautiful this morning - the crescent moon over the sea, the waves lapping on the beach - was a geat morning for a run)

Happy days  (sorry for any typos the spell check not working)

• Options
    Grendel3 - Yeah toe socks in the shoes then decided after 7 and a half miles to take the shoes off and leave the socks on...needless to say the socks got destroyed in about 2 minutes and I got friction burn lol! After 7.5 miles it seemed like a good idea at the time! FOOL LOL!

Ive been looking into maybe trying these babies out! ;D

www.lunasandals.com
  • Options

Hi folks.

Beachball - well done on your PB. A minute is a lot to knock off.

Grendel - I refer to him as a roadrunner only because that's the group he is in at the club. I had been in 2 different groups, but not the roadrunners. 

Back2basics - good luck for Hellrunner. 

This week so far:  6 Monday, 3.3 Tuesday.  Can't remember the times for these.

Rest today, 9 tomorrow, rest Friday, 5 Saturday and 4.2 Sunday will give me 27.5 for the week.  Off work today and tomorrow so I'll hit the gym later today.

• Options
    Thanks Thomas Kerr

It now looks like a "bunch" of us are dressing up as bananas for the hellrunner! image

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Banana-Lightweight-Costume-Fancy-Dress-/190518018157?pt=Adult_Fancy_Dress_UK&hash=item2c5bc2406d#ht_2888wt_906

"..and the idiot award goes too........"
  • Options

Back2Basics - just had a look at that sandal site - like the idea you can make your own!!!!  Not sure I would like to wear something like that round our way, to many dog owners

• Options
    Lol yeah kinda the same here, just gonna have to keep the ol eyes peeled! image
  • Options

I just ordered Born To Run off ebay. I very nearly ordered the wrong book.image I almost bought:

Born To Run - The Many Lives Of One Incredible Dog

Just noticed at the very last click.

• Options
    LOL still may have been a good book! image
  • Options
    Good running all. Back2basics, have you managed to get out for many runs this week, or are you tapering for the weekend? Well done on your runs so far Thomas, how was the weekend in the end? Best of luck with your big 9 tomorrow.

beachball, well done on your steady 6k - will you be focusing primarily on just getting the mileage in leading up to the New Year now? I'm sure you'll break the hour with all these hard miles put in image

Grendel, 20:12 attempt is on 17th Dec. I'm putting the hammer down this weekend at the parkrun for the final time until then, and aiming for a solid 21:15 time. If I can get it and don't feel horrendous afterwards, then I'll at least know I have the capacity to get close in December, with an extra three weeks of training! Excellent to hear about how you're enjoying your runs lately, with the pressure off - I'd imagine there's an inherent danger in reliving past glories, but you seem to just be getting out there and enjoying the time you have out on the trails, which is great image and well done on your 6 x 3 again!

5k easy for me yesterday, my first ever run without having planned a route, so I just ran for 28:30 and covered 5.2k in that time, so that was nice. Quite liberating really! And 7k today, covered in 39:38 for a slightly faster time than I would've liked, but another enjoyable route. I definitely feel fatigued recently though since my sleeping's been appalling, but that should right itself soon. Pretty happy with the last few days - 3k on Friday, then a very quick parkrun.

Happy trails all!
  • Options

Moonlight - the weekend was a bit of a shambles.  I went to Asda on Saturday afternoon to buy a carry out. I took £30 cashback from the self service checkout which I proceeded to leave behind and not realise until I got home. Then I went out Saturday night and got completely trashed. I met a girl in the club who I got on with pretty well and got her number. Then I went to a house party. I got home at 8am on Sunday and had no idea where my phone was so went online and remotely locked and wiped it. Turned out I left the phone at the party and got it back minus all my phone numbers... typical ! I walked out to Asda on Sunday afternoon with a disgusting hangover and thankfully my £30 had been held in. 

I spent far too much money and have been getting it tight at work about things I've said and done which I don't remember. image

• Options
    moonlight - tapering off alot now, Saturday was 8 hilly nasty miles, Monday rest, Tuesday 3k, Wednesday pizza image today and tomorrow again just gonna rest and concentrate on food and water ready for Saturday..

congrats to everyone and there respective miles of late, sounds like its going pretty well for all of us! image

• Options

Thomas, at least you got your money back!!!!!

Moonlight will be watching and waiting for the 17th December to see how you get on - it sounds like you have got is planned well and are mentally prepared to 'give it a go'  - I have in the past thought _ i used to do this or used to that - and found it incredibaly frustrating - but and I suppose it is a but  I think if I have done it in the past I can do it again - the difference is, I am not doing the miles I used to do so have to look at improving the quality of my faster runs and that is what I am doing - I just need to remember that I have to have a few easier recovery runs in there too!! WIll start event specifc training on the 7th January which I am looking forward to - not sure if the Braintree  5 race entries are open yet - but as soon as they are I will enter the race so that I have my target.

Happy Days!!! and good luck for Saturday Back2Basics

• Options
    Thanks Grendel3 - I shall do a full report when its all over ;D
  • Options
    9 miles done today in 1:18:28, 8:43 average.    After doing 8 miles as my long run for the last 4 weeks, 9 miles felt pretty easy.   Sitting here now, I don't really feel like I've even been out a run so pretty chuffed with that. 10 next week.
  • Options

Well done Thomas, you are putting me to shame with my own meagre efforts!!!!!

• Options

Back2basics- Looking forward to reading the report after Saturday, best of luck..

Thomas- thanks, sounds like you had an eventful weekend lol. Glad todays 9 miler felt so good, I look forward to those days lol.

Grendel- 10k is on New Year's Eve in Ely. It will be my first proper race (not counting parkruns)

Moonlight- yes I need to build up the mileage from now. It is getting close and I am still feel i'm not getting out enough. You seem to be getting plenty of miles in yourself I see, well done and keep it up.

• Options

And has anyone heard anything from Just run?

It's been a while, hope everything is okay.