Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Grendel, in that case it must've been quite the tough week for you with all the steady pace runs! Nice one on managing it so well, and I'm sure it'll become easy pace for you in time. That 6 x 3 mins sounds difficult, although I'm wondering whether they mean current 5k pace or goal 5k pace? Definitely good to throw the odd speedy session in to change things up though.

As for resizing the pictures, note the dimensions of the file (in pixels, eg. 150 x 150) & open up the relevant file in Paint. Then click 'Image', and 'Resize/Skew' and it'll give you the option to shrink or increase the file size via percentage. So for a 150 x 150 file, typing in '66' into both % fields would shrink the image to 66% of the original size (100 x 100), and hopefully fit the RW guidelines. Hope that's not too confusing and helps a bit! image 4/4 breathing is my shorthand for 'breathing in through nose for 4 strides, out through mouth for 4 strides', which is what I do on my easy runs. Then on faster runs as I get more tired, I shorten it to 3/3. Helps me regulate my breathing and it feels natural to me, so I stick with it though unsure of efficiency really! And thank you also!

Thomas, thank you for the kind words. Sounds like you have an excellent fitness level, 44 is very low. I'd imagine some big times lay ahead of you if you can keep injury-free and as you say, get the miles in your legs - and you seem to be doing great on that front! Have you got any distances you want to have a crack at soon? Well done on your week, and avoiding the nutters image

Very happy with the gym session today, tired but satisfied. 70 mins of cardio, 50 mins weights/core. On a sidenote, I also came to the end of my first running journal today, which I started on 1st September 2009...feels strange reading back over all of the entries, over 250 of them in total. Highlight is definitely the joy at finishing the Norwich Half in under target time. I thought I knew a lot about running before, but in reality I knew nothing! Despite all the injuries, quite proud to now be able to call myself a runner, rather than just a guy who used to do a bit of 1500m at school. Onto Running Journal: The Sequel image
  • Options
    Moonlight _ I am assuming that it is current 5K pace which I have calculated from my 5 mile time - Thanks for the stuff about re-sizing will give it a go.  I am trying to do one speed session in once a week -  Thanks for clarifying the 4/4 - makes sense I suppose, I tend more to gasp for any and every breath I can get in!!!!Well done as well for finishing your running journal - I found all my old diaries recently but the water had got in when our shed started to leak - am trying to dry them out!!!  I did the Norwich Half marathon once and it was definitely harder than I expected it to be - thinking that Norfolk is flat!! It wasn't then. Well realisation struck me this morning - my wife normally works Monday and Friday, but this week is doing Monday to Friday - trouble is there, I can only get in 30 minutes on the days she works other sise there is a squabble for the bathroom - so will have to do 3 miles per day rather than 3 on Monday and Friday and then 4 Tuesday to Thursday!! oh well such is life Three miles went off without a hitch this morning, averaged 9.07 with the fastest bit 7:22 (although don't believe much of it was 7:22 to be honest!!! Happy running all
  • Options

Thomas- I have decided to increase my distance by about 10% a week as I build up towards the Ely 10k on New Year's Eve. Well done on your running last week, very impressive, I'm glad you are enjoying it so much.

Grendel- Nice pace this morning, The dedication of runners always strikes me. You have less time in the morning but instead of not bothering you still went and just reduced the time. The same with Thomas who gets up and runs at 6.30 before work. I guess people must think we are a strange breed.

Moonlight- Well done on the effort you put in last week including the parkrun. I bet looking back on your journal makes some interesting reading. Congratulations on completing it.

Went out tonight when I could have done without it to be honest. Very late night last night due to my first assignment due in and it was a challenge just to get out the door. Slowed it down tonight (yes that is possibleimage) and lo and behold it turned out to be probably my best run to date. Felt stronger at the end than at the beginning so I added a loop in that took the distance to 6.7k which I finished in 45m 33s. splits were 6.55, 7.05, 6.50, 6.40, 6.39 and 6.28. I am so chuffed. I didn't plan on going that far it just happened.

Happy running all.

• Options

Well run, BeachBall - sometimes the best runs are the unexpected runs, the fact that you slowed it right donw probably meant you were more relaxed than normal and as a result run better and stronger than expected (that is the good thing about going out at 6 am - all done and dusted and not hanging over you all day)  And yes we are a strange breed.

Wife had a blazing row with her boss yesterday over a really stupid trivial matter,  ended in tears all round and a sleepless night - she woke me about 3 o'clock saying she couldn't sleep and had been  lying awake all night ( she could sleep because people don't snore when they are laying awake!) As a result she decided not to go in today (she is self employed so up to her) So as I was awake early anyway - I managed to fit in a 4 miler which I did as a tempo run - I warmed up for an 11 minute mile and then ran 3 miles in 25.01 which averages out at 8:19, so happy with that!!!  (Wife now at home alseep and hopefully calmer) her boss is at work and seemed OK so there you go)

Both needed their heads banged together.

Happy days!!!!!!

• Options

Things settled down now and wife and her boss have cleared the air -

two more days of reasonable paced 3 milers, this morning I averaged 8:49 for 3.3, can't remember what it was yesterday but something similar (each time I press another button on the garmin the old mind registers something else (I didn't know the garmin does averages!!!)  Perhaps I should go back and read the book!!

3 more tomorrow then wife finishes work until February (although the camp site is open over Xmas so may be called in then)

Next week back to be ablew to run 40 minutes every morning (although will possibly keep Monday and Friday as a shorter run!)

Will try the 6 times 3 minutes at 5K pace next week. 

Happy days 

• Options
    Hi everyone! Ive gone through lots of pain and shoes trying to figure out what my running problem is! Still working on it but its going well after ditching the fancy shoes and getting court up on how fast im going! Ive been slowly slowly starting again with short barefoot and vibram 5 finger runs and i can now run 4 miles in 5 fingers without icing my shin splints!
    Anyone who hasnt read "Born to run" by Christopher McDougall please do so! Ive just finished it and all I want to do is run! image
    Im not gonna preach, just have a read and see what you think, if nothing else its a real inspiration and kept me going when I wanted to stop!
    Another tip, Chia seeds! Ive been using them for about 3 months now and havnt even looked at an energy gel!
    Hope I helped at least one person!

Happy trails!
  • Options

Moonlight - No, I haven't really got any plans about distances. I'll be looking to do some 10k's starting next spring and the odd Parkrun until then.  I often look back at my training diary; it's quite interesting.  I don't think I could do 70 mins cardio in the gym. I can do about 30 mins then I'm looking for excuses to stop.   What core work do you do?  I've started doing planks, they are meant to be very good for strengthening the whole core.

Grendel - do you do the same 3 miler everytime or mix it up? I always find myself doing the same routes againg and again.

Beachball - It's great when things like that happen. You get a nice wee suprise sometimes and it reminds you that what you're doing is really paying off.

Back2basics - Hi,  I have read Running Well and The Runner's Handbook. Both were OK. I'll keep Born To Run in mind.    When did you start running and how long did you take out for shin splints?

This week:   

Monday - rest  (gym)

Tuesday - 6 miles 52:41 (was a bit of a struggle due to being up at 4.30am for work, very tired)

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - 8 miles including 2 miles of hilly trails. You wouldn't think it was the middle of November. Very nice day outside and pretty warm.  1:11:13.

Friday - rest

Saturday - 5

Sunday - 6

That will be 25 for the week then an easy week next week. Not sure what to do with that but thought I'd do 2/3 of usual mileage and no long run.  I think I will go to 5 days a week after that. That will mean running 3 days in a row which I've never done before but I think I will be fine.  I've been running 4 days a week pretty much since I started, apart from when I was returning from injury, so this seems like the time to make the change. 

Just found out I'm off work next week so it really will be an easy week.

• Options

To answer your question Thomas no I don't do the same run each time - it is not quite so easy now as it is dark, and large parts of the sea wall are unlit - (although you can chart my progess by the security lights on the bungalows coming on as I pass!!) Most of my running is now done on the streets but I try to vary it a bit - some mornings I go in one direction some the opposite or a combination of both - next week wife not working until February so can go back up to 40 minute runs Mond to Friday and then a longer one Saturday and perhaps 5 sunday - am looking to build the 6 mile saturday run up to 8 - and am going to embark on the 6 times 3 minutes with minute recovery.

Will keep a look out for Born to Run  - I get my inspriation from Ron Hills two books - sadly unavailable now he really should get them re-printed and Charlie Speddings book from Last to First - if you want inspiration that is definitely the book!!!

• Options

4 miles saturday and felt really good, very easy just sort of drifted along and average 9:01 so OK with that - ran to wifes work to collect a bike they had given her to use as she doesn't drive and has a 2 mile walk there and back each time which is fine but is currently suffereing from plantar facisitis - I had to ride the thing back which was a site to behold - 24 inch wheel and way to small for me!!!

Yaay Sunday I did 7 miles, the longets I have run since my comeback started - nearly bailed out at 3 miles as I felt terrible - but you know us runners we keep plugging away - averaged 9:17 the the garmin reported a fastest pace section as 7:49 - not sure where that was though!!!!

Probably dehydrated to be honest and lacking in carbs - will sort that out today

Happy days

• Options

Well done on your 7 miler Grendel.

Everyone else had a good weekend?

I didn't do my planned run today because I ended up going out last night and getting very drunk, only had about 2 hours sleep as well.  That leaves me on 19 for the week instead of a planned 25 so that can be my easy week instead of taking this coming week as an easy week. I'll do 25 this coming week.

• Options

I think sometimes Thomas you have to take a step back have a good time and do normal stuff - I can do what I do, not because of my running background or anything like that - I just have a 8 year old that gets me up around 5:50 - 6 o'clock wants his breakfast and then packs me out for my run!!! I just go with the flow

Good luck with your 25 miles this week. 

• Options
    Not a bad weekend Thomas, thanks. Not as fun as yours though I'd wager! Hope you're feeling a little better today. Your future plans sound good, and I can see the attraction in just building the mileage up and taking it from there, with the odd race here and there. Planks are definitely good, I usually do quite a wide range (typically 20-30 mins of core), including medicine ball and resistance band stuff - if you'd like some specifics, just let me know. I'm useless at it, but I guess it helps. Good running this week, and hope your 25 (gulp) goes okay this coming week image

Grendel, nice 7 miles, very impressive! Always good to hit those milestones. How did you feel after the run? Glad the work situation was defused as well, hope everyone concerned is all settled down now. When are you looking to try out that 6 x 3:00 session? Thanks for the explanation on the target time as well, the calculators sometimes make me slightly unsure as to what is goal pace and current pace...

I know it was nearly a week ago now, but great job on your 6.7k beachball, a very handy distance to feel so strong over! Must've been a nice confidence booster. Hope your week's gone well, and if you made it to the parkrun then likewise for that image

Cheers Back2basics, I confess my utter ignorance regarding running books having never read one, but have been looking at a few of late. Thanks for the tips.

My week's been pretty standard, with all the runs being decent enough. I unexpectedly stopped at home for a while, but managed to adhere to my schedule, although it meant that I missed the parkrun. 3k, 6k, 5k, 4k, all easy runs and hitting 5:45 or so per kilometre. Solid but unspectacular, topped off by a gym session this evening. Upcoming week is a bit of a tester, including a 7k easy and the parkrun, at which I'll be shooting for 22:00 over the 5k - slowly edging towards the target time.

Hope you've all had a good weekend!
  • Options

3.33 miles this morning in 30.01 - the last third of a mile was at 7:49 pace so quite pleased with that as up to that point I had averaged 9:07 - went through 3 miles in 27:21

Solid but unspectacular is what you want at this stage Moonlight - you have 13 months to get that 20:12!!! and to answer your question will be doing the 6 times 3 minutes on wednesday - may try and go for 8 times but on that the recovery has to be 1 minutes - will have to try out what works -

Happy days image

• Options

Grendel - yeah , totally. It'd be a different matter if I was training for something in particular, then I'd be more likely to stay in and run the next day but since I had an easy week coming up, I had room to reshuffle things. Good luck for your 6 x 3 minutes on Wednesday.

Moonlight - I've only just started doing planks but they have already made a difference to my lower back pain which comes and goes. I can feel the difference.  I watched a plank routine thing on youtube that I'd like to be able to do so I'm going to try and work on that. Hope you hit your target for Parkrun.

5 miles this morning in about 41 minutes then a gym session in the afternoon.  This week is looking like 5 Monday, 6 Tuesday, 6 Thursday and 8 Saturday.  Was going to go to 5 days this week but that's not going to work for me so I'll make the move to 5 days next week.  This will be the 3rd or 4th week in a row I've done 8 as my long run so definitely going for 9 next week. Pretty chuffed with how it's going at the moment.

Edit - 6 miles done today (Tuesday)  49:38. Lovely sunny day.

• Options
    Grendel, nice running lately and good to know that you're pleased with your pace. Certainly seems rapid! Let us know how you get on with that speed session, best of luck with it, particularly if you opt for the extra two reps. Unfortunately, I don't quite have 13 months to hit the time - though I wish I did - the aim is to clock 20:12 before 2012 rolls in...which is in seven weeks time. Sorry if I wasn't clear before! Looking at 17th December for the attempt.

Thomas - thanks. Excellent to hear that the core is already having a positive effect for you. I found that planks helped my lower back a lot too, and still do even now. That's some serious mileage you've got planned there, good luck with all your runs this week. It was really nice outside today here as well, albeit chilly! Do you find that you've gotten adjusted to the longer runs? Seems like a fast 6 miles!

4k easy yesterday (23:01), and 7k planned tomorrow. I do feel that my fitness is merely decent at the moment rather than great, quite anxious to start bumping my mileage up but I also have a fear of injury that's stopping me. My plan is to hover around the 20-25k region until the end of the year, and then gradually start winding it up.

Happy running everyone image
  • Options

Moonlight - must have mis-read your post the other week - I thought your goal was to run 20:12 in 2012 not by 20:12  -

Well did the 6 times 3 minutes, with a minute recovery - was actually easier than I thought (so often speedwork seems harder when you think about it than actually doing it) according to the garmin I averaged 6:48 pace for the 6 so missed my 8:16 pace by a long way way!!! but am happy with that - realistically I didn't have the time to do another two - may have been able to fit another one in but would have meant reducing the warm down (I only did had mile as it was). Was happy though with the session - just need to add in a hill session each week now!!!

Happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Moonlilght - yes, my usual 5 mile loop from my flat feels much shorter and easier than it did a couple of months ago and the thought of a 7 or 8 miler isn't daunting anymore.  Yesterday's run was a bit faster than usual; as I'm not doing any sort of speed work just now, sometimes I'll just run as I feel and not look at my watch. That's what I did yesterday and it averaged 8:12.

Grendel - good work on your 6 x 3.  6:48 sounds very fast.  Well done.

No running today image  Already looking forward to 6 miles tomorrow.  I think I'll hit the gym later today.

• Options
    6:48 that is fast! Well done on completing the session Grendel, sounds like you put on a clinic image

Good to hear Thomas, and that's very impressive pacing considering there was no conscious effort to push the pace involved. I'm glad you're enjoying the longer stuff a little more, and looking forward to the big runs. I hope to be joining you at the 5 mark soon! Hope you enjoyed the gym session if you went along.

7k easy for me today, and just the tonic I needed really. Consistent pacing and felt very easy indeed, my body seemed to hold up just fine despite some impromptu off-road route deviations, in the dark no less. 40:32 total time, not too shabby albeit not the fastest pace by any means. Thoroughly enjoyable run, and looking forward to upping that distance to 8k in a fortnight or so. Hadn't realised how much I missed these longer runs image

3k tomorrow! Hope beachball and Just Run are getting on okay as well. Another question as well: do you guys always run alone, or have running partners at all? I know Just Run heads out with Mrs. JR every now and again, but I was curious about how everyone else operates.
  • Options

Well done Thomas - for me the idea of 7 or 8 is still very daunting - managed to work out a 2 lap course this morning which will give me 8 ( I did one lap) - but it is one thing doing that, a completely different thing to do it  though - will stick to 7 for the moment which this week I will do Saturday morning.

Well done too Moonlight - sounds like you are ready to move up to the 8K  which to all intense and purposes is 5 miles so nearly there - take a little bit of care running off road in the dark though!!

To answer your question, always alone - in my previous life I did run with others and without doubt that does drag you along and help no end - but all my running done first thing in the morning when know one about  and as I have said before it is my time.

Now a question for anyone on here - I used to run off road as much as possible - but now I don't live anywhere near enough to do that - BUT 100 yards up the road I have miles of sand - does anyone have any experience in sand running and would that be the equivalent of running a very muddy X Country?

• Options

Moonlight - I nearly always run alone. If I'm running on a work day, it's usually quite early. If it's on a day off then I like to just head out when I feel like it, usually about 11.30. I only know a couple of runners. I am running with a friend on Saturday though who runs with the road runners at the club. I think I will go back to the club once I've hit 30 mpw with a long run of 10.  I'll repeat that week then go back to training. I should be ready by then which should be in about a month. 

Grendel - I've never ran on sand but I imagine that it'd really take it out of you. 

Just had breakfast of Super Berry Granola and heading out for a run in a hour or so.

• Options
    Enjoy your run Thomas - that was my feeling re the sand not sure if anyone had done it I guess would have to be careful of pulling achilles etc - will have to give it a try!!!
  • Options
    6 miles done today without a watch so no idea how fast it was, felt quite steady though. That's me until Saturday now.
  • Options
    Huh, just lost my post. That's odd...good run Thomas. You've got your big 8 miles on Saturday, right? Good luck when it rolls around. And thanks for the response too, sounds like you have a good plan there regarding the club, should give you the base required to complete the sessions with no worry image

Grendel, I hope so! I will be more careful in the future though, I was slightly errant yesterday and should really invest in a torch of some kind, especially with some busy roads around. I remember you saying that running has become a more personal time for you, which is great - do you find that it's a very different mentality compared to running with others in the past? Sorry for all the questions, hope they're not too personal.

Sand running, I did a fair bit of it when I was away in August. Loose sand is tough to run on and Thomas is definitely right, it saps your energy far more quickly than even deep mud, particularly your quads. Although you're right regarding the achilles (be very careful), it is a great workout for muscles without the impact, and surprisingly versatile - you can run distance on it, or utilise an incline for a hill session without the conventional issues of joint impact. So I'd say go for it, but definitely go very easy at first, as everyone's running style is different and what worked for me (a forefoot striker at the time) may not work elsewhere! Nice idea though, should make for a fun route image

3k today, more to not go over the weekly mileage than anything else. I'll add some strides to compensate.
  • Options

Will have to try the sand running - but will be very careful -

No probs re the questions - it is different because, depending on who you are running with you can be dragged along which is really helpful and a great way to improve - the guys I used to train with were always highly compeitive and what ever distance we did from 5 miles to 20 there would always be someone wanting to push it along - so even the 20 milers were fast - did brilliant things for fitness - I did do a lot of running on my own too!! do miss those days!!!  Running on my own now, it is not quite so easy to push the pace as hard - still enjoy it though just carries on my love affair with running and athletics I first got watching Steve Ovett on the track all those years ago!!

• Options

Hi all

Thomas- great running, you seem really focused at the moment, keep up the good work.

Grendel- 6.48  wow, excellent pace.

Moonlight- yes i'm fine thanks, couldn't find a balance last week so went 7 days without a run which I am not happy about. Well done on your 7k  and good luck building up to 8k, glad you are enjoying it so much.

It's my birthday on Saturday so the wife has got the day off and Parkrun here I come. Sounds like it could be a family affair as the kids and dogs are coming, I believe, even think my dad might be watching (nothing like pressure)

My daughter said she was going to run with me, bearing in mind she couldn't run to catch a bus, I very much doubt that will happen...

Will you be Parkrunning  Moonlight?

Happy running folks.

• Options
    AAAAH! This thread runs a little quicker than I thought!!
    Really sorry if I missed any replies I shall check it more often now! image

Got HellRunner next week anyone from here giving it a bash?
  • Options

Have just checked out the Hellrunner race - I'm not doing it but good luck and look forward to a report!!! - not ready for something like that (not sure if I ever was to be honest - 9 miles round hamstead heath in mid winter for a cross country was my limit!!!!

Great birthday present beachball getting out for a race - you guys really are lucky to have these parkruns to do - we have nothing like that down round Clacton and too far to come to Norwich to take part in your one!!! (if that is the one you do!!)

Anyway have a great birthday and weekend too.

Have been very pleased with this week - will do another 7 miles tomorrow morning then a short one (or a hill session on Sunday morning. an easy 4 miles this monring average 9:07 but stopped to chat to someone I knew so probably lost a minute there so probaly under 9 minute miles again go to be happy with that!!  

And to report back I reached Trafford Way in Doncaster on my virtual Clacton to John o'Groats run this morning - which looking back means I have run 215 miles since the 19th September - so only 524.39 miles to go!!! which at the current rate is about 20 weeks (maybe will virtually  run across Europe to Poland after that!!!!)

• Options
    Grendel3 - With the miles your putting in already you could do the Hell run! Last year I only did rubbish training for about 2 months and finished the beast in 2:09.59! Its not really about the time though its more of a "fun" run! They change the course every year so PB`s are out of the window! Its always somewhere between 10-12 miles of hills,trails,woods,water,sand,mud and smiles!

Virtual run eh? So set a place and rack up the training miles to see where you could get too? Does the "dread"mill count?
  • Options

Back 2 basica,  I am just doing the virtual run to John O'Groats as a way to keep a log of how far I run each day and where I get to - sort of a take on the old joke - "I told my wife to  run 10 miles a day - shes 140 miles from home now!!!" 

I would put any miles I do in traning or racing so if i ran on a treadmill would certainly put them down -

• Options
    Grendel3 - Oh ok! Interesting way of keeping motivated I like it!
    Just added the stuff in my diary from 6th June, 135.7 miles, not a great deal but never really taken note before!
    Main thing im working on is doing more injury free and trying to get to minimal shoe and barefoot! image
    After the Hellrunner next week is when the real fun starts, no more "real" shoes for me! image