Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Welcome Chuckles - feel free to join in when ever you want - all are welcome. I run at 5:30 am so am always running on empty - have a bowl of cereal once I have showered - don't drink though until I get to work - otherwise if I get stuck in traffic for any length of time it gets uncomfortable!!!!

Thanks HalfRun - I am treating the hamstring the way I treat most running pains - ignoring it!!!- just trying not to stretch it out to far.

For the first time in a long time this morning I saw another runner - he didn't look as if he was running to fast - yet he swept by majestically and I couldn't get anywhere near him  image  - Those were the days my friends!!!  Well 5 miles run - decided to push it a little bit from the start - and was rewarded with a better time than for a while - with Braintree only a month or so away now - time to do the faster paced runs.  Hopefully the 40 mile plus weeks will pay off when I start to taper!!!

Happy days all

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

A 6 mile plod this morning - am going to try (looks round and whispers) a 10 tomorrow!!!!  will see -

Thats all folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

You have convinced me David, I will do 9!!!!!! (and stick to one doughnut)

• Options

Another 5k this morning.. knocked a decent minute off the PB! okay, so 28 minutes isn't the fastest, but hey, I'm getting there!

• Options

Well done Chuckles! 28 is a great time keep it up! Try not to get caught up in breaking your PB on every run though! image

ha ha ha Grendel. Go on go for double digits! image

Welcome David!

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Done it - 10 miles and a doughnut as a reward - took 97 minutes - I know that is not great - I know it is 22 minute slower than my best half time - but the first time I have run 10 miles in nearly 14 years!!!!!  Happy Days.

• Options
    Well done! That's wicked! I think that is about the same time that I do 10 in.
  • Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Cheers B2B - ran 5 miles yesterday and then 6 this morning - very easy yesterday - but a lot harder this morning (well the last 3 miles was)

Happy days

• Options

Nice! Planning a big one tonight, really hope its not mega cold again! Gonna use the Luna as its a big one, im not ready for long stuff with the xero yet image

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Really don't know how you can go out after work and go - long like that (although I was known to run from London many many many many many years ago!!! (about 20)

Enjoy - you are going to be flying round 50!!!

• Options

ive just got used to it really, I find if I try and run in the morning that im just not awake yet and everything just takes ages to come together. Did that make any sense? image

Not sure I will be flying around! image The plan is just to finish and ive got 13.5 hours to think about it ha ha ha!

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Have just got a copy of the Born to Run book from the library - find it quite amusing that the author talks about Lance Armstrong and how he uses herbal remedies to recover - if he only knew!!!!!

13.5 hours sounds OK for 50 miles - only 4 miles an hour!!!!  you'll breeze it.

• Options

ha ha ha indeed!

Hmm still not convinced on the breezing it but Im going to give it a damn good try! image

On paper it sounds really simple and 13.5 hours should be more than enough, in practice however 4 miles an hour may seem like rocket speed once I have 40 miles under my belt!

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

to be honest, even in my prime i couldn't conceive the idea of running those sorts of distances - you do seem to have got your head round it all - I struggled mentally with 10 - I think to be honest it is the pace I run at these days doens't help- I know I shouldn't but I can't help but to compare - Oh well that is why i joined this thread - Starting Again from the Beginning

• Options

I really think it is all down to exactly what you said - getting your head around it! Your body can be pushed to breaking point and still bundle on, your mind however is a different beast!

If you mind says your done guess what? Your done! Ive worked really hard to try and break this beast but I still get caught out

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

The other problem I have these days is boredom - my long runs in the past were nearly all done in a group of at least 2, but more often than not larger groups,  so the time went quickly.  

• Options

That is a really good point! Boredom is a really tough one! I think that's when having a race in the back of your head helps. I would like to run with other people but most people you ask to come out for a quick 10 mile run stare at you blankly or with a look of horror! image Forget asking if they want to join you on a 20, that's just never going to go down well

• Options
    Phew! Very tough very very chilly 16.45 miles tonight. The cold got to my legs reducing me to a walk on about 3 or 4 occasions! Catch up properly tomorrow, night all
  • Options

Morning peeps!

My knee this morning needs a little support....lets here it for the knee! image *claps and wolf whistles and the crowd goes wild!*

Sorry, any who! Tweaked my knee a little last night as it was so cold my technique suffered a little. Ive not really been stopped by the cold before, bad choice of clothing is my conclusion. Got a knee support on today and will take a few days off, munch some painkillers and then man up and get going again! image

The biggest achievement last night was the mental battle I had. To start with I didn't really want to go out, fixed this problem by going out anyway!

Next came the cold and the overwhelming urge to turn around, fix? Keep running.

Cold making my legs hurt, ran till they went numb then ran till they hurt again. 

Walked, ran, ate, drank, hurt, ran again.

Home, bath, food, bed, heaven!

2013 - 141.84

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies for my absence but life a little hectic and a rather sore hip flexor has been rested over the weekend. Went out for a gentle 4ish miles this morning with visibility approximately 3 feet! I may as well have been on the dreadmill as cantering through beautiful countryside. Anyway, must dash.....lots to do and United v Real is a must tonight.

2013 – 64.13

• Options

What did the doctor say to the runner when presented with a dodgy leg? Yup, I recommend resting it until the pain goes away. Bet you all knew the punchline to that one!  Maybe it's just my doctor (who looks about 10 and whose medical wisdom has in the past involved telling me to think of my menopausal hot flushes and night sweats as tropical moments), but I wanted just a bit more than "recommend rest". He did say i could self refer to the NHS physio but around 4 months wait... I know I could see a private physio but spent a fortune on one this time last year and feel guilty about spending the family treat money on myself again. Sorry for ranting but it is soooo frustrating not being able to run when my mind and heart really are ready to resume the challenge. To recap, bit of a swelling behind knee initially then pain up through front of thigh into groin and then down calf. Swelling went down quickly behind knee and went from upper leg so ruled out Bakers cyst for knee and IBT. Rested for two weeks then on Sunday went ot gym with no pain in leg, cycled for 30 mins to warm up then tried treadmill only at 10min/mile pace and after just 1km got pain to upper calf. Stopped more or less immediately, but the need for some exercise drove me to 40 mins on cross trainer which didn't feel like it was making my leg any worse. Stretched, went home, smothered calf in voltarol and lilmped for rest of day. Calf pretty tight when I first get up but then loosens off as i walk but if I try to engage in any type of running action off it goes again.Considering going for some ultrasound sessions (much cheaper than physio) but not sure if that will do more harm as I have no idea what is wrong. As I sit here typing I don't feel any aches or pain, its just when I try to run. Have 10km race booked for 17th March and had my heart set on this being my comeback race to give me a benchmark for setting an ultra target for next year. Please someone say something to make all this go away as i'm also comfort eating and not shifting the excess calories image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

5k Run done, will seriously catch up as best i can tomorrow. The thread moves on so quick!

Light drizzle this morning which was very pleasant, i could actually see where i was going too.

2013 – 67.23

• Options

Lulusmum -  You have my sympathy I picked up a calf injury in January. I rested it for a couple of days then went out again. Didn't even get 50 metres. Rested it for a week then managed about half a mile before it went again. Then did what the quack said and gave it 4 weeks and that did the job and it has been fine since. Each time I got the injury it was painful going up and down stairs for a couple of days, but was then fine. I could walk several miles without a problem. 

It does seem a bit like a doctors waiting room amongst us all at the moment with niggles and aches abounding.

Out yesterday for a 7 mile run at just over 9 min mile pace. Just half a mile less than my longest run since I restarted. Happy to say I cruised round. The plan is to up the distance of the long run by a mile a week leading up to the May half marathon. 

I'm following one of the Runners World plans as its got a good mix of sessions. Tomorrow is the dreaded hill session. 

Joy of joys the snow is forecast to return here tomorrow for a few days.

2013 - 67.27      -   amazingly thats just 0.04 ahead of Just Run

• Options

lulusmum - hmm calf problems? Rest is always a good one BUT you could always try some calf compression to help speed up the resting it works for me! image

They are not cheap but cheaper than physio!

I use the ones from Compressport, personally I find them tough to run in but for recovery they are amazing! shop around and see if you can pick up a bargain.

Remember to measure your legs.......twice! image

Well done to everyone for still getting out there!

Going to try a short one tonight just to see how the leg is going, feels ok but to be honest I dont feel like im in any rush ha ha ha! Resting is nice image

• Options
    Hey all,

Have been rubbish this week, only one small 2.5m run, need to give myself a giant kick up the backside....

Lulusmum - sorry to hear about your injury, I think most of us can relate to that frustration, when you're desperate to get out there but your body won't play ball. Whatever you decide, why don't you get on that NHS waiting list anyway, a 4wk wait will pass quickly. Even if its just assessment and advice, at least then you'll know what you're looking at to take it forward with the ultrasound

Hope everyone else is going well
  • Options

+1 Gammineez regarding the waiting list, get someone to have a peak.

With that in mind!

Tonight I ignored my twinging knee and my instinct to play xbox instead of going out.

Had a few walk breaks every time the knee got a little too grumpy then picked it up again when I couldn't be bothered to wait anymore.

Grumpy knee said "enough is enough!" at 5 miles and I responded to this by putting my big boy pants on and made friends with the pain.

Grumpy knee didn't like this and promptly buggered off for the next couple of miles, much to my delight.

"Are you seriously STILL bloody running?!" Grumpy knee chimed in. "I believe I am Mr Knee!" said I with a slight grin. "FINE! See if I care when you wake up in the morning!" was the retort. "The morning is not my immediate concern Mr Knee but I shall strike up an agreement with you, play nice and you can rest the last mile, do we have an accord?"

I shook hand with knee and so the agreement came to pass at mile 12. 

1 gentle mile stroll home to finish 13 for the night. Much to the puzzlement of both myself and Mr Knee we some how strolled home in 2.30!?!!? Only 11 minutes shy of my PB for that route!!  I have no idea how as it felt like a bit of a shambles of a run but hey! Don't knock it right?!

• Options

hmm seems to be a problem with the edit button?

13.08 miles to push me over 150! yay!image

2013 - 154.92image yeah! And what 150?!

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Good run - B2B not sure what is going on I couldn't edit yesterday and have an error on page and a Pathimage

6 miles run each day nursing my hamstring through it all without resorting to over stretching it with speed work.   Should hit 40 miles + again this week and a reduction in mileage then between next week and Braintree in April - where my old training buddy goes for his 60th County Medal.