Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

B2B have watched a YouTube of Cliff Young and his shuffle - that is the way forward you'll finish every race you do!!!! You'll be going out on the Monday and coming back days later!!!!

• Options

Out again today another 2.6

Felt slight pain again in shin area right leg to right of shinbone but only mild. Cant be much when I was running 6 months ago never got it so shhe how it goes

Sounds silly but legs felt tired after tonight and thats only 2.6 miles 2 days running. May take tomorrow off because, and to pardon the pun "this is a marathon not a sprint" !!

2013 - 20.8 miles

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Maybe worth icing it after a run 3:30 probabloy just the muscles getting used to the activity again - as you say a marathon not a sprint

• Options

strangly enough Grendel I kind of run like that! Well my legs maybe kick back a little more but its interesting!

3:30 - I agree with Grendel, ice and some stretches and you will be good to go! My other suggestion is to do your next run 30 seconds to a minute a mile slower than your normal pace. It will feel strange and you will want to go faster but remember your mantra "this is a marathon not a sprint" focus on the long game.

What is your current pace?

• Options

B2B / Grendel

Current "pace" is 10:13 (well, that was last night) and yes I have iced it - would you believe with frozen sausages !!! (they were in the packet!!)

Been watching a lot of marathon videos, Brighton in particular - the year before I moved from London to Scotland was supposed to be the first they ran it but they had to call it off for police reasons was gutted. But would like to do that

On watching the videos of the marathon and Edinburgh, Loch Ness, London it was quite emotional for me. I loved those days but got caught up in social group not interested and drifted away from it. How I regret that.

Love running halves but its the full marathon I want - hopefully, maybe, be in shape for one before Spring 2015. In the meantime need to wind in my enthusiasm - been out two days on the trot now wanna go tonight thinking of esting but will probably go.

Thanks for the support guys loving this thread

• Options
    Hello all!

It's been awhile, just been trying to catch up with how everyone is doing, looks like you've all been busy battling towards those goals...

There's a route in Devon at Fingle Bridge called Hunter-Fisher, where you run along the valley top (near castle Drogo) and then back along the river valley. I did this about 10years ago and loved it, it is truly beautiful. I never thought I'd be able to do it again but two weeks ago I did. 7miles, dead chuffed!

Gradually transitioning to some vivobarefoot trail shoes too and fingers crossed, it's going well. Even managed to clock 8mm on my 4m run last night. Can't believe I've just written that, gonna go and pinch myself......still waiting for those old injuries to kick in and desperately hoping that they don't.

Happy running everyone, so much better now the days are longer image

X G
  • Options

Welcome back Gammineez

Well done on that 8mm

• Options

3:30 - If you head out tonight try forcing yourself to run at a 12 minute mile....I know, I know, you might feel like you are going backwards but trust in the 12! image This thread is a rare treasure and we have worked hard to keep it that way!

Hey Gammineez well done! image Try not to get caught up in always going faster! Minimal shoes will make you want to leg it all the time because they are so light, mix up the fast and slow and you will be running further than ever image

• Options
    Thanks 3:30, thanks B2B, will do. To be honest, the 8mm was an accident, just felt good, then when I looked at the splits at the end there it was. Will go slow to up the distance though as I have a 10m hilly race coming up in mid May.
  • Options

good stuff and well done!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

No run for me today, but I did walk 16 miles over Exmoor to help my daughter and her school prepare for their Exmoor challenge in May. I think i'll give myself a day off!

Good running all

• Options
    Off to London on Sunday, great reading everybody's news. I have been keeping my pace around 11 minutes per mile and hope that I can maintain that on the day. Hope you guys get to your goals.
  • Options

B2B - out tonight at 11:23 pace, no pain from lower leg how long do I keep this pace up, as you say seems strange

Just run - that was some walk mate

Nick good luck at London

2013 - 23.4 miles

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Good luck Nick - come back and report

• Options
    Good luck Nick, hope you have a great day....
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

all the best Nick, let us know how you get on

• Options
    Cheers I will let you know on the thread.
  • Options
    3.30 - try it while you are pushing up the miles till you get comfortable then work on speed. Speed will come naturally over time anyway.

Good luck Nick!
  • Options

B2B

Will do. That was always my problem .. no structure in my training . I would go out just run as fast as I could.

Even my 5 mile runs would be same pace as 20 mile runs. Felt good last night will run this pace for a while and build up a good mileage base. I am a stats man love to see mileage logged in the training diary !!

I think I need to keep to 2.6 for a month or so and build on it. Then build up miles

Right sky plus set in case I oversleep - London Marathoin tommorow - best day of the year viewing wise - am I a sad git watching the whole of it ?

• Options

Out yesterday and did 11 miles. Aimed for sub 1:40 and came in at 1:39:56. Snow finally gone so ran a few miles along the road and then on a track along one of the glens then back the same way. Lovely to get off the roads again but it was windy all the way out and a gradual climb, but the joy of returning downhill with the wind behind me.

I did a 10 miler about 2 weeks ago and it seemed a doddle, this was one mile more and my legs were aching for the rest of the day. Just one of those days I guess.

Next week aiming for a 12 miler before easing back for the half marathon in mid May.

One great comment after Boston 'If they were trying to crush the human spirit, Marathon runners were the wrong people to pick on

London Marathon on the TV was inspirational again, expect to see more joggers for the next few weeks

Keep running everyone.

• Options

HRHB

Watched it today and tracked a couple of peope on the vigin website - its brilliant shows you exactly where they are on the course with splits every 5k

• Options
    Hello all,

Ran 5m this morning at 10.30 pace (much more normal for me image !) at Attenborough nature reserve in Nottingham. It's as flat as a pancake and a lovely place to run if you're ever up that way.....

Watched the VLM, not sad at all 3:30!

Hope you all had a good wkd
  • Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Thoroughly enjoyed the race, Brendan Foster as always full of inane chatter - can't believe that Denise Lewis stopped Dale Lyons on crutches and asked him about it - told her that he was one of the London ever presents and she replied so you have run 16 marathons then!!!  No 33!!!!

Did like Brendan's comment about Mo Farah though when asked why he would bother - "he's a double Olympic Champion he can do what he wants" I knew a couple of people  who ran, one of which ran 4:41 at 74 - also one of the ever presents -  

Just gives more inspiration t get out and do it.

Didf a lovely 7 miles yesterday was well please just drifting along the sea wall  the sun burning off the early morning mist (which caused a bit of a problem on the return journey tough as the sun was right in my eyes!!!! 

I have built in a rest day each week to my running now - (today) which does seem strange was so tempted to go out, especially after the marathon. 

Did spend Saturday afternoon going up and down a big twirly slide at the local play centre with the kids - not sure what that equals in terms of mileage!!!!!

• Options

Nice one HRHB! Some good running!

3:30 - Its really easy to get caught up in just legging it all the time, I used to do it all the time and then wonder why I struggled so much after 10 miles ha ha ha!

Caught a little of the marathon, great to see Mo out there and find it funny that he has to defend himself. Really liked his explanation though, along the lines of... im training for track so distance at the same time doesn't work. 

He made a bit of a mess at the water table but learnt a lot. Next year my friends. Next year we shall see a very interesting line up!

well done Gammineez!

Grendel.....resting?! Wow! image I would count the big twirly slide as hill training! image

• Options

Just a 3 miler today but it was very windy. At one point I could feel the wind actually give me a push for a few strides.

Got 40 PhD Anthropology students staying for 4 days, I feel like I am being watched.

A very diverse bunch - the tutors are Colombian, Icelandic, American and British

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

B2B, I used to use walk breaks in my running a lot. Did my best 10k with walk breaks! I remember reading  somewhere that 20 minutes was the optimum running time with a maximum 2 minutes walking in between. A decent walking pace is also a must. I have a feeling you’ll be ready by race dayimage

3:30, you’ll get there mate. Just be patient.  As you say, it’s a marathon and we’re in it for the long haul. I would love to do the marathon myself but need to get a shorter distance in first. Missed the Honiton Hippo recently as I just hadn’t put the training in so need another target. I do have a Saturday morning free in a few weeks so going to do my local park run.  I watched loads of the marathon, even missed my own run, not sure that’s the idea?

Loved the Cliff Young story Grendel. What a man! A real, proper………rest day? I reckon you’ll reap the benefits of having a day off.  Brendan Foster hit the nail on the head regarding Mo Farah, who on earth does he have to answer to?

Hi Gammineez, the lighter mornings are my favourite thing at the moment, another 5am run along the great western canal. I will be in Exeter in a few weeks, finally going to get a park run done. Got my barcode printed off and ready to go. The Fingle Bridge run sounds nice, did you reward yourself with a pint at the Fingle Bridge Inn afterwards?

HRHB, nice one nailing your target, not surprised your legs were aching. I loved that comment about runners too. Hope those students don’t have you eyed up as their own personal experiment!   

Nice easy 3 miles at 5am this morning, absolutely fantastic to run at that time when the sun is just coming up.

2013 - 119.59

• Options

Just Run

Out at 5am - impressive. Yes your right of course I must be patient I will get there. Still think I can go out and do 10 miles when I know I cant. Slowly slowly catchy monkey !!

• Options

5.5 miles for me tonight with my very red cousin image

JR - 20 and 2 eh? I shall give that a go on my next big one

2013 - 219.95

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I'm the same as you 3:30 in my head I am that 30 something steaming along the Thames Embankment - I watch the the marathon thinking I can do that  but reality hits when I get out the next morning -

Oh well.

Anyway 4 miles done this morning time to shed a few layers as totally overdressed, wild life see, some cats, some ducks, some sea gulls two very large swans flying side by side and some cows -  Spring is at last here -

• Options

Well, I will never be 30 something again !! or Steaming along the Thames embankment !!

Burt went back on a thread for sub 3:30 London Marathon and surprised to see a load of old buddies when I used tp post there about 6 years ago !! There still at it and some are now under 3:15

Gotta have another go !! but is 3:30 possible ? who knows but I know I want to try