Options

Any mechanics in the house?

Comments

• Options
    Your vehicle I assume was stationary?

A recovery truck reversed into it ... unlikely to cause major damage unless he was at speed

Your Insurnce company reccommended a garage which you chose not to use and I assume cleared it with your insurance company that you could use one of your choice

Your choice was a garage that did bodywork only

The garage mend the bodywork to an agreed sum with you and the insurance company

The garage send you away with an advisory list or a list of reccommendations

If the veh had been unsafe to drive they would not have let you drive it away

You chose to not attend to the advisory notes that the garage gave you

As previously mentioned wear and tear is just that and with a car that age it is not on a particular schedule

Your beef is not with the Insurance company or the underwriters or even I believe with the garage

Check when your service/MOT is due and check to see if there are any other 'advisory notes' that you have forgotten about

I wouls also check that everything else is in date and legal before you start trying to shift the blame for apparent bad housekeeping 
  • Options
    I am a mechanic, and this is a clear case of your car having a stress fracture.  Don't worry though, you can carry on driving it.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I know it's too late on this occassion, but in the future go with the insurer approved garage to save all this kind of hassle.

If car has a dent then yes, take it to a body shop. If the car has been in an accident  then it needs to be a proper garage who can sort the outside as well as the inside.

• Options

No

(just seeing if kk will bang her head on the desk if anyone says it)

• Options
    When the stupid woman ran into the back of my car last summer, she went mental when I started taking photos of my car, her car, her, and only a child in her car. When she told the coppers, The Sgt turned to me and said sensible bloke.
  • Options

Being serious now, the best cure for this is quite simple.

Take out the car radio and leave it in a bush.

• Options

Hmmm, now do I do the impression of that bloke from The Vicar of Dibley, or start singing 2 Unlimited?

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no...

• Options
    KK I beg to differ that that sort of impact (low level reversing) would have that kind of effect on the driveshaft unless there is already a problem there .... I will bow to Mr KKs better knowledge on this at the moment   image

I would expect a car of that age to utter all sorts of noises and I would usually remedy them by turning the radio up obviously assuming it hasnt been left under a bush or in A&E
  • Options
    No one said you were a criminal nor implying that it wasnt legal .... although if you have not followed reccommendations within a reasonable amount of time given by the garage then I would doubt very much if the underwriters would give you the time of day
  • Options
    Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

Although I'm betting it'll be more like the Titanic knowing my luck.

But then you would get to have Leonardo in the back seat before it sank
  • Options

1. Driving 1.5 miles to work ? That'll shag your car quicker than not using it at all.

2. Garages love insurance work and they charge a nice premium for it - so if they could link the damage - I'm sure they would have done.

3. Not sure quite how hard you'd have to reverse to bust a crankshaft or whatever - but I suspect it would probably write your car off.

Its prob a coincidence together with it being shagged from tiny little journeys. Walk there and run home. Sorted.

• Options
    He says nice things about you
  • Options

Ok D2D, I've read the thread carefully and after taking all the various points into consideration my analysis is that you are stuffed.  You have a worn out 20 year old car and because it's had an accident various faults have been brought to your attention consistent with it's age.  

You pay your insurers to take care of accident damage so it's best to let them do that.  What's the point of doing it yourself?  You could get an independent motor engineer to look at the vehicle for you but if the engineer says the faults are not linked to the accident you have wasted your money.

Two further points which have already been mentioned,

1) a Nissan Figaro is not a classic car and if you refer to it as such in a garage they will know you are a numpty. 

2)1.5 miles is a walk to work not a drive.

"Two pebbles in the wheel tread of a passing afternoon, caught in time and circumstance, two lovers in the moon"

Now that's poetry!  image

• Options
    Hey! Don't pull a Karen face at me, I mean well! image
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I'm just glad the insurance company have finally come to their senses and agreed to send an assessor out.
    I don't really think it's a case of them coming to their senses, they didn't do anything wrong! No doubt they're just doing it to shut you up, so be grateful for that.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)

1. Driving 1.5 miles to work ? That'll shag your car quicker than not using it at all.

Its prob a coincidence together with it being shagged from tiny little journeys. Walk there and run home. Sorted.

That was my initial thought. Along with, it'd probably take longer to drive that distance than to run / walk.
  • Options

Hopefully they'll just do the repairs to shut me up too.

Then we'll all be laughing.

.....and your premiums will go up, there is rarely a winner other than the Insurance companies

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    .....and your premiums will go up, there is rarely a winner other than the Insurance companies

Our premiums are going up anyway, because some crappy ruling that saysbecause men & women are 'equal' therefore the insurance premiums need to reflect that.

Can open, worms everywhere.