Options

VLM 2011 Support Group 8

Comments

• Options
    Would there be a helmet big enough to cover your *ahem* norkage assets, TP? image
  • Options
    JohnFolJohnFol ✭✭✭
    TP I have the small claim to fame of having been to school with UB, only to meet up with her again, slumped in a hot sweaty heap at Highclere a year or so back . . the stories I could tell . . .
  • Options

I believe that slightly larger than usual helmets may be required ST image

Oooh did you get sweaty with Ugly Betty behind the bike sheds then JF?  We love a bit of gossip, no matter that it's 20 years old.

• Options

Evening Grope 8!

Thank you for kind words, you lovely peeps!. image

I'm pretty clear now that I'm going to defer VLM.image

I can't even walk properly at the moment, and putting any weight onto the midfoot brings on sharp pain at the back of the ankle and up the calf, so I can't imagine any amount of running will feel okay if I try it tomorrow. image

I really don't want to end up taking 7 hours to hobble round 26.2 miles in severe pain. I trained to run it properly, not like that, and doing so might even put me off attempting another mara. 

I'm gutted about having to tell my sponsors, but so it goes.

I'd like to try for an autumn marathon so that this year's training doesn't feel like it's been 'wasted', but in the meantime rest up and then spend some time varying my training, keep the running ticking over at a reasonably decent mileage and doing a few fun/daft events over the summer, while gradually building...

The training went so, so well in so many ways - I covered most of my long runs comfortably at a pace I never would have imagined sustaining when I started out.  I've never been as consistent as this in getting all the runs done when I've trained for anything else.  I'm proud of the fact I managed two 20-milers when I hadn't run further than 14.5 miles before this year.

But there was still plenty I could have done better. After nine months of injury I had virtually no base mileage to start from.  I wasn't able to give myself adequate time for any cutback weeks, which meant I was constantly building and building and probably not resting adequately.

The running shoes I'd been using for most of it were shot to pieces and I should have bought new ones earlier to give me longer to adjust - the shoes I'm now running in are less bulky and have much less of a drop at the heel; they feel fantastic to run in for the most part, but I think my calves/Achilles needed much longer to acclimatise.

The injury was mainly overuse.  I think I would have ended up with the same problem even if I'd run 6 miles rather than 20 before it all went wrong - I think the damage had already been done.

For any marathon I run in future (and I definitely do want to run one! image) I'm going to give myself far longer than the usual 13 weeks plus 3 weeks' taper - my body definitely needs longer for a more gradual mileage buildup.

As for VLM - good luck to you all for Sunday. image

And I shall hope to see you there in the Olympic year. image

• Options

LP, so sorry to hear your defering but definately a wise decision. Hobbling 26.2 miles in pain would not be fun. It would be even worse if you couldn't manage to finish and/or did some permanent damage.

No marathon is worth that!!

I am sure your sponsors will understand especially if you have done the training, which it sounds like you have. I picked up an injury half way into my first  Marathon and I was gutted as I had to walk 9 miles.  The feeling of crossing the finish line was one of sheer disappointment. But I thought(after about 3 weeks) there's always next year. This will be my 11th now.(Not all London)

I would suggest getting your injury looked at , and come back stronger for next year. At least you know you are in and will have more time to train and you obviously have learnt a lot along the way.

Good luck in your recovery and hope you manage an Autumn marathon. Just don't rush it(pardon the pun).

Good luck !!!

• Options
    Sweetest Thing wrote (see)

You're welcome, Cornish Digger - we shall look out for you streaking past image

TP, your room is ready for you - don't worry about bringing towels or hairdryer, as they are waiting for you. Also you can use LD's dressing gown to save  you having to lug that around with you. We have shower gel, shampoo etc so you can travel light if you want to.

Not sure you would want to see me streaking past-- NOT a pretty sight
  • Options

Thanks, CD - wise and kind words. image

Yes, I think a trip to the fizz would be a wise idea...

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Lady P but it's a sensible decision as it would be no fun if you were in pain at the start.  There will be others when you're fit and all limbs are working.  The Soupy sub-5.30 thread are planning an outing to the Liverpool marathon in early Oct if you fancy that. image
  • Options

Sorry to interrupt on any ongoing conversations, but I don't have the time to read back and make pleasantries image.

someone kindly posted on the main Supporters Thread that there was room in this Group for some waifs and strays.  I really do hope that's the case as we have had to disband Support Group 5 and I was wondering if I could rehome some of them here.

I have pointed them in the direction of this thread and trust that you will make them well.

Thanks ever so image

ETA - the runners concerned are Bear B.hind, ffRan, and Kazgeorge

• Options
    Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

Many thanks to you -

Forum Name - Bear B.Hind

Name - Pip Lloyd

Race No -4977

Estimated time to Mile 17 - imageimage - I hope you're prepared for a wait - let us say some time around 2 - but I'll try really hard to get there earlier.

I will be bearing bears!

Special needs - Can of Strongbow - if I'm too slow you can drink it - that'll act as incentiveimageimage.

ffRAN wrote (see)

You supporters are just wonderful - thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Forum name: Ffran

Name: Fran Knight

Race No: 3320

Wearing: Welsh vest with "Fran" on front, black capris, Welsh Buff as a headband.

Time to Mile 17: Around 12:30pm - this is a dream time but I'm exercising my PMA!!

Special needs: Would love a hug  - and  I think some Lidl Jaffa Cakes and flat coke. But can you believe I haven't yet got my nutrition sorted so may need to ask for advice? 

Here we go!!!! IT'S COUNTDOWN!!!!

kazgeorge wrote (see)

Yay, group 5! Hello and thanks so much...it's going to make the day even more fab!

Forum name: kazgeorge

Name: Karen George

Race number: 20409

Estimated time to mile 17: 3 hours

What you'll be wearing: Green Macmillan Cancer Support running vest with KAZ on it, green wristbands and headband.

Any special needs: This is my first marathon so I really don't know for sure exacty what I'll need at this point! I'll probably need some more jelly babies by mile 17 and I may also fancy a jaffa cake. And lots of smiles and encouragement, that would be amazing.

I have quoted their posts from Group 5 thread to save some time
  • Options

I'm sure they'll be very welcome.  We know BBH and ST had ffRan  last year and I had her mum ... or was it the other way round.   Kazgeorge too .... image

Oh, btw I'm a runner not a supporter but I sometimes forget and get all supportery ... force of habit.  The lovely ST and Foxy will make you very welcome image

• Options

Mmmm, yes TP!  You keep confuzzling me!

• Options

image At least there is something I'm good at Schmunks image

I know ST is busy in the evenings and Foxy has cubs who need organising so I just kind of go into support mode of an evening .... I'm tapering .... what else have I to do?

• Options

Play Nicely ladies image.

TP: you are doing a grand job of filling in for the lovely ST and Foxy Foxy.

Schmunkee - You and BB are doing a grand job as per usual

• Options
    Oopsie..................... i posted my estimated time of arrival at mile 17 as 3.15, i meant 3 hrs 15 mins for me to get there not arrive at 3.15pm image
  • Options

image that would be quite a while to wait LWJ.

5 more sleeps until Sunday ....3 until I come down to London .... <bounce> <bounce>

• Options

Morning, wonderful Grope 8ers image

Welcome to BBH, kazgeorge and ffRan - it will be an honour to support you and the rest of this lovely grope.

I have gymmed this morning and am off to zumba in an hour or so. Meanwhile, Operation Get The House Clean and Tidy for Madame TP continues imageI have even polished the letterbox on the front door and insisted the postman admire it this morning - poor man had to walk back down the path and look at it properly. Needless to say, AS, who was there at the time, was highly embarrassed.....

Weather looks good for Sunday - not so hot as the last few days and there may be a wee bit of cloud cover for you runners.

• Options
    ...and Lady Pineapple - so, so sorry to read that you've had to defer, but it is the right decision, although hard to make. If you fancy coming to help support, you will be more than welcome, but I know that may be hard.I did last year when I pulled out and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed supporting. Maybe that's because I was three sheets to the wind by about 11 am (that TP is such a bad influence.....image)
  • Options

Thanks, ST! image

To be honest, I'd love to have come and supported, but have decided instead that hubby and I are going to have a longer stay with my folks (they were coming to spectate, and then we were going to head there after the race for a short visit).   We're going to do lots of holiday-type stuff and distract ourselves. Wine may be involved.

Feel a bit pathetic for getting so worked up over it, really, but it's been all I've thought about for months! image

• Options
    Hello all! I'm a waif and stray from group 5. Schmunkee posted my info above.

Right, I'm off to catch up with all the goings on in this group!
  • Options

Hello, Kazgeorge and welcome! 

Jelly babies - check
    Jaffa cake - check
    smiles - imageimageimage triple check
    encouragement - in bucketloads!!

Kick up the backside is an optional extra, for which there is no charge image

• Options
    Thank you Sweetest Thing! I'm feeling so nervous today but I'm looking forward to mile 17.
  • Options
    I envy you doing your first marathon - it's the most brilliant experience! Just make sure you enjoy the whole thing - all the shouts of encouragement, the fancy dress runners, the camaraderie amongst the runners, running past iconic London landmarks - and that incredible feeling of achievement once you cross the finish line. You will have a great day!!
  • Options
    I am really excited...got butterflies already. I ran the Great North Run in 2009 and that was awesome, like a huge carnival along the whole route. I'm all emotional already...I may be a blubbering wreck by the time I see you!
  • Options

Oh don't worry! I spent much of my first London in tears - at the start line, when I realised I was actually going to have to do it! At the Cutty Sark because it's such a beautiful icon, same at Tower Bridge - my favourite London landmark, when I saw Mr ST and the children (blubbed and so did they!) and when I finally crossed the finish line.

It's expected and perfectly normal. We will have tissues image

• Options

I suspect I might have a few sneaky tears this year too.  I didn't cry at all on my first but there wasn't the atmosphere or the support it was more of a slog round on my own (apart from my lovely friends who were at mile 16 and at the end).

I cried a bit over the lovely Potting Shed after I finished the GNR in 2006.  He's quite absorbent image

• Options

Maybe we should start calling Mr Shed a different name - Mr Kleenex, perhaps? Or Mr Andrex - he's soft, strong and very, very......long?image

Your room is ready, TP - I was just waiting for a delivery of a new quilt cover (not just for your visit, but to freshen up LD's room for her when she - eventually - returns).

• Options

Well, helloooooo there, handsome!

<preens>

• Options
    Hope you are well, and getting ready to look after the lovely runner