Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone image
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone - should have been running this year but deferred until next year.  Hope all goes well for everyone image
  • Options
    3.23 reasonably happy. Went off too fast and paid the prIce. Will I never learn image. Race report to follow. Saw lombster pass me at about mile 4.
  • Options
    Fantastic day in Brighton. Finished in 3:12:36.
    Saw Lombster and had a fantastic moment at mile 3,
    A chap called Matt (I think) ran up to me and asked "are you Tom Goom?" (I have 'Forrest' Goom written across my back. "Yes" I said, "why?"
    "I recognised your name, I've been reading your comments on the forums!"
    Classic. These forums give so much more than people realise!
  • Options
    Well done everyone, awesome day, I saw mark d at mile 5 not sure if he heard me shout,

Met up with Stig at the clock tower

Our plans changed as we stood at mile5 on the traffic lights then got moved and got stuck then at mile 12, so we stayed there

We shouted at a Glenn but again not sure if u heard us, also shouted at a Brian and a Dan from descriptions, hope u all had great day, will look forward to race feedback
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Got my sub 4hr 3.57 very pleased
    Champagne has now gone straight to my head!!
    Hope you all had a great day too
    Buggers that's a long way!!
    DF
  • Options
    LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭
    DF - congratulations, brilliant time!

WHeels came off a bit for me at mile 16 when I got cramp in right calf. THen in my left hammy at mile 20! Up til then a sub 4 was on. FInished in 4 hrs 13 which all things considered I'm delighted with. It's a pb by 23 mins.

HOpe you all had a great day. I loved it. Brighton is a fantastic place and the atmosphere was amazing.
  • Options
    What a perfect day for a marathon. Well done to the organisers and thanks to all the marshals and liquid hander outers. I was delighted with my time, 3:21:49, much better than I expected. Recognised a few names from here on the way round. Brilliant crowds for the third year running.
  • Options

walked up to Preston park by the time i queued for the loo and dumped my bag and met Spen it was time to go to the start couldn’t find the 4 hr pacer to start but they turned out to be behind us but not for long race got away on time but muggings here got 30 yards past the start and realized he hadn’t turn his Garmin on

The first 4 hour pacer went by us after about 2 miles but she was running 8:20 pace which was too fast for me so we soon lost her

The race went well run into one or two from this forum and me and Spen were together until the 13.5, 14 mile mark when i lost him

am kicking myself now as i had to stop for a loo break and forgot i hadn’t turn the auto stop of was going well until about the 19.5 miles when the legs began to complaining badly but managed to keep going the support on the promenade was fantastic as provide a much needed boost but i was really gritting my teeth at this point the time on my Garmin was 3:59:16 i new that wasn’t right but was hoping i would still be under the 4hr mark course as i said earlier i had forgot about the auto stop being on

So have been on the Brighton web site and my chip time was 4:00:28 so just outside the 4 hrs but still a new PB BY 13 MINUTES

• Options
    3;34:31.... Chuffed to bits a 35 min pb...
  • Options
    Will follow up with a proper race report but I'm pleased to say I managed to finish in under 3:30.

Official time of 3:19:39. Over the moon as its my first marathon. Started off too fast and felt extremely leggy by the end. I started to get strobe vision for the last 800 metres and thought I might pass out. Absolutely destroyed by the end, but still a great experience.
  • Options
    so who's going to start the Brighton2013 thread
  • Options
    Well done all.
    I had a brilliant weekend, topped off with a new P.B of 3.39.36!
    nearly 22 minutes of my previous marathon P.B and 40 minutes better than Brighton last year.
    Pre registered again for next year.
    I think I saw Lombster a couple of times - if he had a bright yellow wig on?
    Nice to meet some of you yesterday.
    Now London!
  • Options
    Well done all! Brilliant day, loved it till about mile 18 - boy that power station bit it hard work! Brilliant support along the front and completed my first marathon in under 5 hours - my target. 4.57.43 by my watch, anyway. Now traveling home - great weekend!
  • Options
    Heisenberg, that's a brilliant time for a first marathon. well done!

As for me, 3:54:18 a PB by miles compared to last year - less said about last year the better. I also went out too fast, caught up with the 3:45 pacers and kept with them right up to about 16 or 17 miles. Which was nuts because I knew I should have paced myself at 8:42/mile not 8:2/mile! but the pace felt so comfortable, my only rule was not to go past them. (ok I did twice but slowed until they passed again)

Glad the weather was what it was, or I could have come unstuck. My mistake cost me about 6 minutes, which I'm not too bothered about to be honest. I know the reason, which I can learn from and my ultimate goal was to be sub 4.

I got stars in my eyes after I finished, was very scared I would keel over. The bananas and power aid seemed a lot further down the finish than I wanted! I feel so much better after proper food.

Well done to everybody who completed the race today - you did brilliantly, and give your supporters a pat on the back too. The cheers really helped me through. As did Louise on the hove lawns stretch. I hope she managed to complete today, she was a little diamond. And Joe? he got me going again on the last bit!
  • Options
    Well done everyone some great times posted.

Wanted to go sub 4 and had a pb of 3:55. Well happy about that.
  • Options

3:06:45 for me - absolutely stunned and wasn't expecting that at all. First marathon for me and I'm getting on a bit too. Was hoping for 3:15 as an optimistic finish and thought I had gone off way too fast but mananged  to hang on and actually managed a negative split. The crowds were great and I really enjoyed the day and totally chuffed to bits with 114th place!

• Options
    Dan79Dan79 ✭✭
    Well done to everyone. Heisenberg and Nick Smith - brilliant times. I got my sub 3:30 - 3:28 so I'm well happy image I had to dig deep though, a few obstacles nearly prevented me from getting my time. A stitch on 20 miles (very frustrating!) and a jolt of hamstring cramp just after the 25 mile mark!
    All in all a terrific day, well organised and the support was phenomenal!
    By the way I hated those water bags but that's probably cos I'm a numpty! image A good idea for the environment though!
  • Options
    Dan79Dan79 ✭✭
    Oh and HannahsmomUK - sorry I missed you, I was looking around at miles 7 and 14 though image Thanks for the support anyway image
  • Options
    Well done all. Brilliant times being posted. Despite hip pain from mile 18 onwards, I managed a shiny new PB by 14 minutes! 3:35:31 according to the website. imageimageimage
    (Also meant I put last year's "final 6" nightmare to bed!)
    A good weekend, particularly enjoyed meeting up with some of the forumites.

You guys are superstars!!!! thanks for all the encouragements and support along the way!! I will continue to check in on other people's races.

Waves and well done to all imageimageimage
  • Options

Haven't read any posts yet, but will do soon.

Marathons are very hard aren't they. Locked into 3.45 pace until mile 18 and then oh my word. Finished in 3:58:57 and nearly sobbed over the line. Feel fantastic now. Apart from painful achy bum muscles.

Thank you very much to karen ives for pacing me.

Thank you everyone for your support and humour. Its carried me through.

That really is it for me and marathons.

I'll post later once I have caught up

• Options
    Yay! Massive PB for me too in 3:51:13. Didn't get the 3:45 I was hoping for as I started way too fast and there was a lot of walking after mile 17, but after a certain point I knew I'd get sub 4 so I stopped looking at my watch and just tried to hang on.

Course was tougher than I was expecting, and the wind was a challenge, but Brightonand its inhabitants more than made up for it. The cheers at the finish were incredible! Less power station bit would be my only real request.

Need to stop going out so fast, but I don't know how! Each mile I tried and it would be 7:50...8:03...etc.

Well done everyone!
  • Options
    Hey guys,
    Whats the difference between Official Race Time and Personal Race Time?
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Official time isa gun time, personal time is chip time.
  • Options
    Thanks, so the personal time is the important one?
  • Options
    Really happy. Chip time 3.55. 1st marathon. Lost a minute when my number nearly fell off and the kept getting cramp in my left calf from mile 18 and nearly falling over and having to stop and stretch. Was really scared it would seize up completely and be a DNF. All in all a great experience my only worry was the poor souls who had to queue for loos on the way round. My husband said some lost 20 mins.
  • Options
    I don't even know why they publish gun/official times...totally pointless.

Second year running and was extremely grateful for the weather this year, more or less perfect conditions. Great atmosphere again and terrific crowd support, the event is a credit to the City.

Really wish there was more (live) music on the course though, compared to the really big marathons it's rather lacking in that respect. Only other minor grumble is that I find the final seven miles slightly un-inspiring and due to it's routing rather under-suppported, whereas other marathons the final six tends to be incredibly raucous and the most memorable.
  • Options
    Yes more live music would have been good. I agree.
  • Options
    Heisenberg - Your race sounds like mine. Kept up an ambitious 3:15 pace for the first half including a sub 7:00 mile 2 and 3, then stupidly overtook the 3:15 pacing group at mile 14. At about 16 it all started to go horribly wrong and by mile 22 was getting cramps in just about every leg muscle.

I think it must have been the superb crowd that got me through to the end with a PB of 3:21:54 in my second marathon.

Well done to everyone who ran today, we have all done something that most people will never do and should all feel very proud of ourselves, I certainly do image

• Options
    Sounds like my race too - was far too quick in the first half and hit the wall really badly at mile 21. Somehow heat going though and delighted with 3:12:36 for my first marathon.

Have written a blog on it, if anyone fancied a read,
    www.runningphysio.wordpress.com/

(there's injury management advice on there too)