Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Managed some core work last night and will work a quick session as a warm up before runs abit like the quick stretch post run.

Have also found core exercies that can be done at my desk so I can do some during the day.  This way I will be to squeeze these exercises.  Also must stop slouching in my chair!!

10 miles last night.  Nearly didn't do it as legs were still a bit sore from Sunday but actually feel a lot better this morning.   As I'm in uncharted territory (in terms of mileage) are there things to look out for to avoid overtraining/injury?

• Options

Thank you all for your thoughts on icing the legs, still not sure but suppose it cant hurt and if I dont try it will bug me so lets hope its still as mild on Sunday as it is today.

Fortysomething, tough decision but if it feels like the right one then it probably is. 

Welcome Kentmark

Faya I would echo what Solent Runner says, I have had a niggle in my ankle but the physio last week reckons it is tightness of the muscle that runs down the inside calf and round the ankle, probably due to my pretty poor stretching regime.

Hope you are all having a good week, damm those long runs come around again pretty quickly dont they, Thursday already.

• Options

Jolyon: Good on you to incorporate some core work into your training.

As for advice on how to avoid over training and injury, I would think myself the best thing to keep an eye on is the speed you train at. If you always work in the correct training pace zone for each session this should go along way to keep you fit and not worn out. A good way to work out your training paces is to use, McMillan Running - Calculator, (Google it). Also a good diet, mixed with decent rest and sleep will help fend off fatigue. Hope this helps.

• Options

SR - Sleep is underated. 

I recently read that 30 hours of lost sleep compared to what you need over a period of time will impact performance.  So if you need 8 hours sleep, but only have 7 hours beacuse you get up ealy to run or for some other reason then your training will be impacted within a month.  This probably explains why ( or is at least a factor ) people get tired in marathon training....eg not enough sleep.  This is why once a fortnight I try to have a "lay-in" or take the occasional 30 minutes nap during the day if/when I can during marathon training. ( thats embarrasing ) 

• Options
    AGF: sleep is something I used to over look when in marathon training, but this year have been making the effort to try and get to bed earlier on some nights each week. It does seem to make a difference and am feeling more energized in this marathon build up then previous ones, this is probably due to a number of factors, but decent sleep is part of the equation.
  • Options
    Ah sleep!! im getting more sleep than ever, which is totally lush....im in bed for 9.30 lights out at 10 and awake at 7.. so 9 hours per night....feeling lots better for it to...
  • Options
    All right you lot stop rubbing it in that your getting lots of sleep. Stop picking on the guy with a new born in the house image
  • Options

and those on nights i am usually in bed by 4.30am and wake by 12pm although it's 7.5hrs it’s not like sleeping on the night time i don’t know why but sleeping during the day doesn’t seem to refresh you like a good nights sleep

• Options
    Sleep. If lack of sleep does effect performance that much then if I could actually get a full nights sleep I may be able to push for an Olympic team spot. I think its a work stress thing as I can only sleep properly on a Saturday night or its because I'm just a looney. Been awake since 4am today. On plus side finished I Partridge, very funny, recommended.
  • Options
    Welcome Kentmark.
    Fortysomething - sorry to hear that you won't be running this year - see you next year!

A full rest day for me today before Park Run tomorrow and Brighton Half on Sunday, looks like its going to be a nice day!
  • Options

happy friday everyone

off to see the physio today. going to decide on whether i do the windsor paced when i actually get there. i've signed up for the liz yelling seminar as well so i'm going anyway.

i almost did no excercise however dancing at a party for too long on sunday didn't do my calf any good at all.

still suffering massively from running envy, but i'm still set on doing the marathon even if my training doesn't quite go to plan.

good luck with LSRs and halfs this weekend everybody.

• Options

The LSR's soon come around! I can't believe another week has ticked over - where does the time go?!!?

I have a 3M slow run to do tonight / tomorrow then a half marathon on Sunday  which I plan to take reasonably steady (put in some effort but not all out race pace). I'm really looking forward to doing it as it's one I haven't done before.

I've been feeling very tired too (despite a reasonable amount of sleep) and constantly feel hungry (I think I've lost a bit of weight actually and my body is making me know about.  I love my food so no problem to me if I have to eat more! image

Rondo - good luck with the physio! I like your spirit and a positive attitude will help you get to the startline I'm sure! image

AGF - nothing wrong with an afternnon nap - I do it all the time at work!! image

• Options

Afternoon all

Well that’s another LSR out of the way went out without having a fixed route in mind just went where i fancied

the run should have been 14 miles but near the end i had a senior moment and couldn’t for the life of me remember whether it was 14 or 15 i should be doing so to be on the safe side went with the 15 only to find when i got home it should have been 14

the whole thing took 2:32:58 with and Avg pace of 10:08

• Options

No running for me today. Been fairly busy, but also felt a little sore, must have been all the dancing and two "quality" sessions this week! Not sure whether to go for a short jog tomorrow, to try and loosen off, or just rest up for Brighton half on Sunday.... If you happen to see number 177 on the day (unlikely as this is among the 1000's of runners!), do say "hi". It's always good to meet fellow forumites.

Good luck to all of those running this weekend.

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options
    Juggler- good luck for Sunday, i'm looking forward to it, and I always treat myself to chips afterwards!
    All the best to those running this weekend.
    Toby- sometimes its nice just to get out and run and enjoy!
  • Options

Im off to brighton today too for the half...

Charlotte fish and chips after now thats a good idea image

If i see 177 juggler i will say hi

At least weather looking good for weekend..better than snow and ice stuff..

happy running to all 

• Options
    good luck to all those running the Brighton H/M
  • Options
    Nice run Toby.
    Yes, good luck at Brighton juggler, Yvonne et al.

Just back from my 20 mile LSR. Ran it at 10mm and below 70% mhr.... A good run and making me feel better about my training!!
  • Options

AGF well done to you as well

• Options
    Good luck to all those doing a half this weekend. Well done on your LSR's!
    Thanks for all your kind comments. Now focussing on a good half in June and another adventure race in March.
  • Options

AGF: a decent long run there.

Good luck to all at Brighton tomorrow or anyone else racing.

I have got  the Lytchett 10 in the morning and am itching for a PB, but not sure how the hilly course profile will fair, so guess I will have to wait and see.

• Options
    Thanks.

Good luck Solent, and remember every uphill has downhill image
  • Options
    Well just back from a disappointing LSR. Should have been 16m but had to stop at 14m. A severe case of runners stomach meant I had to stop five times. That's unheard of. I can only put it down to a new electrolyte drink I was trying. Oh well one plus point, I can now write a guide to the public toilets in the area ! image
  • Options

Good luck to everybody doing the brighton half tomorrow.

Done a 10m run this morning went of a bit quick ended up doing 8.30 min miles, really paid for it during the last half mile ( which is uphill) .

No sign of the back spasms which i had at the begining of the week!

good to see so many people out running at the moment, especially sat/ sun mornings.

• Options

Did the hm in 1.55

After a 2mile warm up my calfs were already sore so i only intended to do a couple of the four laps. Did this at about 8.20 pace, but decided to push on and slowed right down to save the calfs.

They really hurt and still do.

Did the seminar with liz yelling abd the physio there reckons i need to do strength training as my calfs are working too hard to keep my balanced.

I am not cut out for cold baths. My feet hurt too much so i did a massaging cold shower on the legs.

Hobbling now, but feeling optimistic still.

Good luck tomorrow hmers.

• Options
    good luck to everyone running the brighton half.  Had an unplanned ay off due to a hangover and work commitments.  Oh well good rest for 20m run tomorrow.  Won't be a 50m week though.
  • Options

I hope everyone did well at the brighton half today? Looking forward to the reports.

A jog today took me over 50 miles for the week, so I am really quite happy !!  The legs felt fine afters yesterdays 20 so I am looking forward to a few weeks hard training....

• Options
    A thoroughly enjoyable Sleaford half marathon done in 1:55:24. Wind was blustery and the trail road section definitely slowed me down but the winter sunshine did wonders! I met some really interesting people. I wasn't looking forward to going to the event on my own but was soon chatting away - aren't runners a friendly bunch! I will wear my Sleaford half t-shirt with pride!! image

Some heavy mileage on my schedule for next week, topped off with a 17M on Saturday - its going to be tough but I'm feeling very positive.

Hope the Brighton half went well and you also got your fair share of the nice weather!
  • Options
    Nice one Flowery Fay.....sounds like a good day out !!!
  • Options

having only run a couple of 10ks before where people don't really speak it was great chatting away to people yesterday. incredibly supportive and I would definitely have dropped off after two laps without that support. great run there fay. we also had wind, but the flattest course ever invented unlike yours.

looking forward to seeing if solent runner has beaten his pb today.

a few hours dancing at a friends party last night has propery sorted my legs out. much more pleasant than ice cold baths.

can't decide whether i should do a couple of two milers this week before a 17 on sunday, or just totally rest my legs.

i really want to get some proper running advice face to face, but it all costs so much. its very expensive this running business between race entries, seminars, physios, kit, running shoes. fortunately mother in law lives in Lewes so I don't have hotels to pay for in brighton. the physio yesterday owns physioandtherapy.com and was talking about a full assessment they do, but looked online and it costs £126. that is well out of my budget, even if it looks fantastic