Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Well done to Rondo and Fay on a couple of excellent HM's!

Really enjoyed the Brighton half today. Yes, we had our fair share of good weather, thanks for the good wishes on that front image. Time was outside my PB, but very pleasing after thinking in November that just to get around may have been beyond me!

To all those who raced this weekend, just remember that your legs may need a bit more rest than usual, so if you have a tough week planned, you may want to drop a run, or at least drop the pace and possibly a few miles overall.

Hope everyone has good weeks ahead. Remember: over the next few weeks, the training may get a bit tough, but take it steady, listen to your body and you'll be ready and primed for April 15th!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Well done on the half's Rondo, Fay and Juggler.

Yes the weather was perfect this morning for racing, I had the Lytchett 10, and it was my first time at this race so was not sure what to expect by the hilly profile they give. And it was hilly, it made for some fast, long down hill sections, but had to go up the things first! Very difficult to pace as was always trying to recover the time lost going up, but got a new PB of 1:06:01, which beat my old one by over 2 minutes.

• Options
    Well done SR , PB's are always hard earned but worth it!
  • Options
    Excellent run SR! Well done!!! image
  • Options
    Well done on the P.B Solent Runner.
    I enjoyed todays Brighton Half marathon and came home with a new P.B of 1 hour 47 minutes a good 5 and a half minutes of my previous half best so i'm very happy. A little tired and sore now!
  • Options
    Brilliant Charlotte.... Very well done!!!
  • Options
    Well done everyone there are some fantastic times out there.

I didn't race but did my scheduled LSR of 18 miles today - never attempted that far before.
    Didn't go well. My back started aching at 8 miles and then the pain down my right leg and into my toes, made me have to stop and take my trainers off to massage them back to life.

The trainers were new but felt very comfortable so I don't think theyre to blame and they are the same make as the old ones. Perhaps its because my I've only done 20 over the week this week instead of the 30 that I planned. It could also be that for the past fortnight I've run only on the treadmill.

Anyway whatever it is I'm now feeling like Brighton is not realistic. I certainly couldn't have run any further today never mind another 8.2 miles.

Finished with a very cold soak in the bath and some ibuprofen I'm a bit sore now but I dread next Sundays repeat performance image
  • Options
    Sarah, well done for completing. These are the toughest weeks so be proud what you did. Come race day you will be tapered and rested. Try not to put pressure on yourself next week. Why not try run/walk next week... Eg run 10 mins walk 1 min. You will find this less stressful but still build your endurance.

Hang in there image
  • Options
    Thanks AGF, will that really build the endurance i need to complete the marathon?

I had hoped id run it all in under 4hrs 30 but today was hard!!

i will try the run 10 walk 1 approach to next weeks 18 and hopefully ill feel more positive then.

Cheers
  • Options
    Sarah, yes it will help. It may take 3 to 4 hours, but that's good training for a 4.5 hr race whilst not stressing your body to failure if your tired. Good luck. Well done today...
  • Options

Sarah, just want to back up what AGF has said. Run/walk is very good for building endurance. It is no less effective than running the whole way. Whilst that might seem hard to believe, the analogy is with interval training, in which you might run a mile and then jog very slowly for a minute or more, before running the next mile. I have personally done some very long runs using R/W approach and seen very little difference in my average mile pace. I'd particularly endorse it in your case as the repetitive nature of running can really highlight any little weaknesses, whereas the change to a walk every 10 minutes (I'd personally go for every 7-8 minutes, but it's a matter of choice) does a lot to minimise the adverse effects.

Can't remember if you've already done this, but it might be worth checking with a physio, or even getting a sports massage if you can, as it doesn't sound like you have a major problem, so better  to get it sorted now.

Good luck, and stay focussed. It'll be worth it! image

• Options
    Charlotte, that's an excellent result! Well done image
  • Options
    Thanks Juggler I'm definately going to try your suggestion, I feel much more positive after these recent posts.
    Its great to get some sound advise rom people who have been there! :0
  • Options

Morning all

Well just 5 to do today there be on the treadmill in the living room as  i am currently breaking in a new pair of running shoes there exactly the same make as the old ones but i thought i keep these just for races

Well done to all who ran half marathons over the weekend and to S/R and Charlotte on their PB’s

Sarah well done on the 18 miler in past years on my first 20 mile run i have always hit the wall so this year i ran for 1 mile walked 1 minute ran to the next 1 mile walked a minute and instead of having to run walk the last 3 miles i managed to run the last 3

and like you when i did my very first 18 mile run when training for Brighton the first year i struggled like mad even last year on a 19 mile run i blew up after 12 miles and ended up run/walking the rest

So it happens to all of us and i still managed to get around in 4hr 15min at Brighton so as AGF just hang in there it will be worth it in the end

• Options
    My run was slightly disrupted yesterday by some unplanned intervals. 20miles planned, after 3 I did one quick burst down through cassiobury park to get to the facilities - shut, a slightly faster burst down to the next ones - shut, then a massive effort up hill into town where my target was located. And I'm blaming that for my complete loss of power after 14miles and ducking out and settling for 18miles total.

Making more of an effort mid-week, I only managed 1 set of hill repeats last week.
    Nice pbs. Solent you must have lost count by now!!!
  • Options

Well done and congratulations to Charlotte and Solent Runner on your races yesterday and new pb's, it was flippin cold out there as usual!

Another 22 for me yesterday, bit slower than last week but still acceptable, much lighter week for me this week, time for a little rest.

Sarah, keep at it and try not to be too discouraged, next weeks run could be totally different.

• Options

top running from solent and charlotte. have you changed your target time for the marathon yet?

i read this article about walk running and i am going to use it for this weekends 18

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

it seems to make a lot of sense and i find it reassuring.

should be some warm sunny running this week.

• Options
    Great article rondo. I am always wiped out after my LSR but I find it impossible to slow down to the recommended pace. So my thinking is, if I run / walk this will slow down my overall pace and hopefully mean I'm not so tired at the end. I will give it a go this weekend and see if it makes a difference.
  • Options

Well done SR and Charlotte must be a great boost to know you are making such progress with quite some time for further improvements.

Sarah I echo the above advice regarding walk/run.  If I run the LSR too fast (for me) then it wipes me out for the next weeks training.  Last week I did a 19.5 and I was feeling the effects all week.  Yesterday I made sure I had regular walking breaks when I took on fluids and gels and I feel so much better and it was for just under 21 miles.  I will now be able to do some faster runs during this week instead of being wiped out from sunday. I had a marathon training day a while back with Liz and Martin Yelling.  They said that it takes 3 weeks for you to get the benefit of the training you a doing.  The first few LSR are not nice but the body does adapt and they get easier(ish) as your training progresses.

I also managed to rope a friend to run the 2nd 10 miles with me and I'm sure that helped although just make sure they don't go too fast!  

Quick gym session but generally feet up today.

• Options

Well there is alot of talk about the brighton half being to long on the eastern point turn around..and it seems most peoples garmins including mine recorded the distance as 13.5 miles so although i got a pb of over 2 mins it could of been 6 mins as my 13.1 mile time was 1 hour and 56 mins well it was 1:55:56 lets just say i ran the fastest ive ever ran yesterday my slowest mile was the first at 9:03 its normally 10:30 so i got off to a good start and most of my miles were done in 8:45 so well chuffed but would of been sweeter if my actual official time was 1:55:56 which by the way im taking ...cant believe i ran my heart out to have the course be too long and i do believe its been officially owned up to being wrong on the brighton half thread...

ran so hard yesterday ive now got a cold..image mind you the fish and chips after were great...thanks mr ramsden

• Options
    Yvonne - there is now an apology on the half marathon website we ran 13.42 instead on 13.1 , they have also re calculated the results. I now have a new half P.B of 1.44.44!
  • Options

Charlotte: well done on the PB.

I feel for all you who run the Brighton half yesterday on a long course. It seems it was human error, but not really good enough is it. You pay your money to run a half and you want to run a half but being 13.42 your running further. As for the re-calculating the results, I do not see how this is possible for people to except as you have to take your time from the timing mats, not from some calculation. I know this is hard for yvonne as it means she missed her sub 2, but that is the way I see things. Just have to except the original time from the chips, knowing it is a long course. Then enter another half to make amends to the PB's. 

Fay: If your running to fast on your long runs, a bit of walking would be a good idea to get your average M/M pace to where it should be. I often run miles to fast and then have to slow down to get my average pace back on line. I only take notice of the final mileage average pace and do not worry to much about fast or slow sections of the run.

• Options
    Charlotte i have seen that and am a very happy bunny cos it means my new time is 1:57:12 yippee my longed for under 2 hour mark....a new pb by 5 mins....i knew id beaten the 2 hour mark my garmin cant tell me my average pace was 8:53 and i didnt beat!!
  • Options
    S.R - thankyou, I'm not sure how they re-calculated the results and personally I was more than happy with my original result as it was a few minutes faster than I was aiming for. My next half is Reading on 1st April but I very much doubt that I will be able to match my Brighton time as it can be like playing sardines trying to run Reading half!

Body Combat tonight followed by a much needed stretch in Body Balance.

Sarah - well done on the long run, we all struggle through some runs and some runs seem alot harder than others, your next long run will probably be completely different, and the longer distances do get easier - honest!
  • Options
    charlotte: you never know, you might beat your re-calculated Brighton time at Reading.
  • Options
    Mis-measured half marathon??? WHAT? Really bodes well for the new course layout in April, I'm guessing they may well measure it a couple of times to make sure!!

• Options

Danny H, it's a different set of organisers, but I suspect that they will double check it anyway!!!!

Nice to get a couple of minutes officially knocked off the time, but still not a PB for me. Nevertheless, it does show that my training is clearly well on track!

Yvonne -sub-2. Excellent!!!! imageimageimage

I also see that some good LSRs were clocked up this weekend!!!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options
    What's peoples views on running with a cold. I have a mild case of manflu. Which is obviously worse than a normal cold but I'm not quite at deaths door either, as you would expect with manflu.
    So to run or not to run ?
  • Options
    Stig: only you can tell if you can run or not. They do say if a cold is just in the head then it is fine to run, but if it has gone to the chest then do not. If you are thinking about it maybe you are ok to try. Possibly do 1/2 mile then see how you feel, if things are bad just turn around and go home, but if you feel good continue with the run. Anyway, hope your feeling better soon.
  • Options
    Congrats on the new PBs folks. I did my first 20miler yesterday with the club, felt fine though it was a lot faster than my usual pace by several mins/ mile. Not tempted to recalculate my race pace though, I'd rather run a comfortable first marathon and speed up next time. Like many I'm having a kick-back week now and concentrating on quality midweek runs rather than a very long one. The end is nearly in sight image